Quantcast
Bedroom guitar tone - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bedroom guitar tone
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Bedroom guitar tone - Heavy guitar recorded at low volume

What's going on everyone. Back in the day I spent a lot of time getting my recorded guitar tone to sound guitar at bedroom levels.

Here's a little clip, the beginning rif sucks, but I love the sound of the second rif. How does it sound to you?

I'm gearing up to ACTUALLY record a real album and am pulling all my old clips together, and this one pretty much shows my guitar tone.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,
Lumen
Attached Files

05152005.m4a (718.1 KB, 1247 views)

Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumenStudio ➡️
What's going on everyone. Back in the day I spent a lot of time getting my recorded guitar tone to sound guitar at bedroom levels.

Here's a little clip, the beginning rif sucks, but I love the sound of the second rif. How does it sound to you?

I'm gearing up to ACTUALLY record a real album and am pulling all my old clips together, and this one pretty much shows my guitar tone.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,
Lumen
I like it man, a lot. Reminds me of my tone!

What amp you working with?
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
That's cool, it sounds huge! What was the setup?
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Cool guys, thanks for the kind comments! It means a lot to me!

I was crazy over tone and spent a lot of time on it back a couple years ago. At the time I lived at my parents house and worked on getting a good sound at bedroom volumes. Now that I live in a townhouse, it is still great to able to use this setup! It took me a long time to master it. Now I'm finally getting back into it, and trying not to work so hard all the time and have some fun tracking.

Guitar: ESP Stephan Carpenter Signature Series 6 string - I always loved his tone
AMP: Marshall TSL 602 combo amp - I threw some custom ordered 12ax7's and power tubes in it - I could look up the info if anyone's interested

Then I don't use the built in 2x12 speakers, I run out to a custom built 1x12 with a celestian 30 in it. I have a THD power break between the amp and this cab. I use a combination of the amps master volume and the power breaks attenuator. I run a 50 speaker foot cable into a another bedroom, because even though the volume is low, I need to hear only sound through my studio monitors to really get the right sound.

Recording chain :

Royer 121 - right on the center, about an inch back from the cloth
Chandler TG-2 Pre
Vintech x73i (for the EQ only) - I cut at 120 I believe and my mojo is adding a bit of 3k
AD - Apogee PSX 100 SE

For the mix, I basically copy & paste the track four times and then pan two tracks hard left and right, and then the other two I bring in a bit.

Bass is obviously key, so I record with a warwick into a UA 610 and then use ampeg svx. I make sure that the bass and the guitar own their own frequencies in the mix as well by cutting a bit on both so that it just sounds like a big ol fat guitar.

Let me know if you want to know anything else, or hear any place it can improve.

Cheers,
Jon
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…