Metalcore Mix - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Metalcore Mix
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Metalcore Mix

Hey guys!

Tracked a fairly young, inexperienced band the other week. Unfortunately I don't have access to amps to reamp with right now, so this is with the revalver MKIII demo, and podfarm plugins.

Quite a lot of editing on this one

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/303799/M...%2Bpodfarm.mp3

Any thoughts?
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
*Listening on laptop speakers*

This could be a really good mix. The sounds are all there to work with. A couple points:

-Kick and snare sounds don't gel together. Kick sounds weak next to the snare. Toms work with the snare, so I would change the kick sounds. The snare is a little "sample-y" though... maybe just lower it in the mix a little.

-Vocal reverb doesn't work. Try a tight plate sound, or instead of reverb try a tastefully blended delay.

-Guitars seem too dry. A touch of spring reverb would kill here.

-Guitar tone is too aggressive in the midrange. Maybe like a couple db cut around 800? That might help the vocals fit in with the guitar better so the vocals don't have to be so hot in the mix.

But I am listening on a laptop in a hotel room in Dallas, so I could be way off.

Also, that band is pretty decent. Considering metalcore is pretty cookie cutter most of the time, this band does some interesting ****.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cheers for the reply!

Definitely agree on the guitar being too midrangey - I went back to using podfarm 100% as the demo restrictions of revalver are driving me mad!

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/303799/M...odfarm%201.mp3

this is 2 tracks of podfarm with impulses, and 2 with the mesa cab built into podfarm.

I switched the vocal reverb to a plate, definitely works better - cheers for the advice!

As far as the kick......I wanted to go for something a bit more bassy than the typical clicky kick; maybe the laptop speakers aren't doing it justice?

I'll think over the kick thing a little more and then maybe I'll change it.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
That mix sounds good. thumbsup
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
How did you record the drums? NICE sound man! heh
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think it sounds fantastic. I was going to agree with the guitars, but now i think they actually compliment the very sample heavy drums, gives the mix more aggression and attitude. Did you use drumagog? How many snare tracks did you use and how did each sound on their own if you don't mind sharing? The snare sounds big and smacky, i love it. Also curious if you used any of the original drum sounds.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like the 1st mix better. which sounds great on crappy speakers.

As far as the kick goes, I don't see what's wrong with it. Reminds me of Zeuss's sound.. Great Job

Did you mix it ITB or do you have crucial hardware pieces ?
Tell me you didn't get that loud with a pluging !?
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm also curious how you got it to be so loud and still clear.
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Haha, I realized.. I've already posted a post :D Cheers! But.. Really nice work!!
Old 17th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
whoops, managed to miss most of the replies here!

all mixed and mastered ITB in logic.

drums were miced with pretty cheap stuff - kick was a d6, snare was 57 top, i5 bottom, toms were D2's and D4's, hi hat was a nt1a OH's were NT5's and I think the ride was a 58.....cant really remember now

also an AT4040 for the room which is quite high in the mix.

drumagog was used for the samples, kick is 100% sample, snare is the original blended with samples. Drummer had a pretty horrible kit with old skins so not given much to work with :(

there is the original snare track, mixed in with some samples, i think it was some slate ones, and maybe a clearmountain roomy sound too, bussed to 2 different reverbs.

the loudness came from using a couple of stillwell event horizons - check them out, great for getting loudness. clipping FTW

cheers guys!
Old 17th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey Machinated, Cheers for the reply man ! I've been waiting for that one a long time...

When you say you got the loudness from a couple of stillwell event horizons, what do you mean exactly ? One on the mix buss and one on the drum buss maybe ? Or is it 2 on the mix buss so each doesn't have to work very hard and remain transparent ?
I definitly will check this out, being only $40.. Thanks for the tip

Also, I was curious about the number of snare layers you had. You have 2 mics (top and under), 2 reverb tracks, and how many drumagog passes ?

Again, great job !
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud ➑️
Hey Machinated, Cheers for the reply man ! I've been waiting for that one a long time...

When you say you got the loudness from a couple of stillwell event horizons, what do you mean exactly ? One on the mix buss and one on the drum buss maybe ? Or is it 2 on the mix buss so each doesn't have to work very hard and remain transparent ?
I definitly will check this out, being only $40.. Thanks for the tip

Also, I was curious about the number of snare layers you had. You have 2 mics (top and under), 2 reverb tracks, and how many drumagog passes ?

Again, great job !
sorry I took so long with it! glad you like it man

when I was mixing, I had a URS CSP on the 2 bus, but its literally taking off 2dB max, most of the time the needle is hitting 1dB reduction.

in mastering, i just lined up 2 event horizons in series, both in clip mode - pretty nice way to get some loudness with plugins. if you are on a PC there is GClip which is free and pretty good. also for mac is the new airwindows clipper.

for the snare, I have the 2 mic tracks going to a snare bus - I also have the trigger track with some slate samples on (cant remember which samples right now). the trigger track also goes to the snare bus, and I think in this case I had a really roomy sample on there, only at 10% or so - so I guess 3 drumagog instances for the snare.

sometimes ill put a clipper on the drum bus, but not that often; only if it needs it for the drums to come through more. more often than not, ill put an event horizon on the snare bus though, really helps to give the snare some more punch.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
hey...just my thoughts....i made my career in metalcore and the bands that ceated it..i watched it grow....this is unfortunately way too heavily sampled...it pretty much sounds like you remixed an unearth record..the tuning are unoriginal...the samples are dated....i mean metalcore is nothing new nor ground breaking so hats all fine and dandy but like someone said it doesn't gel...you need to pull some orgnicness intom this somehow...if you don't want to use real amps, that's fine, just a suggestion...i've heard some mindblowing rectifier sounds come out of the ELEVEN program where you might actually fool yourself. This doesn't really imitate anything well...if this is a young band and their first demo, which you mentioned....then EXCELLENT, they should gain attention....but the best thing about metalcore is when my band( from autumn to ashes) when to gggarth richardson and did a million dollar REAL record...it opened up indie metalcore to REAL sounds....atreyu followed...then sevenfold....all of a sudden kick drums were back in the mix and guitars were being played in instead of cut and edited...but for what you said this was....CONGRATS, you'll definitely get the point across.

lfranz5451
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfranz5451 ➑️
hey...just my thoughts....i made my career in metalcore and the bands that ceated it..i watched it grow....this is unfortunately way too heavily sampled...it pretty much sounds like you remixed an unearth record..the tuning are unoriginal...the samples are dated....i mean metalcore is nothing new nor ground breaking so hats all fine and dandy but like someone said it doesn't gel...you need to pull some orgnicness intom this somehow...if you don't want to use real amps, that's fine, just a suggestion...i've heard some mindblowing rectifier sounds come out of the ELEVEN program where you might actually fool yourself. This doesn't really imitate anything well...if this is a young band and their first demo, which you mentioned....then EXCELLENT, they should gain attention....but the best thing about metalcore is when my band( from autumn to ashes) when to gggarth richardson and did a million dollar REAL record...it opened up indie metalcore to REAL sounds....atreyu followed...then sevenfold....all of a sudden kick drums were back in the mix and guitars were being played in instead of cut and edited...but for what you said this was....CONGRATS, you'll definitely get the point across.

lfranz5451
hey

cheers for checking it out man! i agree with you 100% that metalcore needs to go somewhere else soundwise and sound different - but in this case it was a young bands first CD and they had their minds quite set on how they wanted it to sound. theres definitely more sample replacing than i'd like (although I did use a bit more of the room mic in the mix to bring some natural-ness back). the band weren't exactly top musicians, and the drums were some no-name make with old skins. this is actually the first job I have done with plugins providing the guitar sound - its not something i particularly like doing, but in this case there was no alternative so had to make do with it.

if was working with a decent band with a nice budget - im sure the mix would be a very different story! haha
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
with that taken into account you gave a new band a great first recording, I've hear EVERYTHING there is floating around in metalcore....and you gave the classic power recording.

lfranz5451
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…