Quantcast
Progressive metal song - please check it out...feedback welcome! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Progressive metal song - please check it out...feedback welcome!
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Progressive metal song - please check it out...feedback welcome!

This is the first track from my band's new album and the first track I've ever recorded! Please do give it a listen and leave any comments/feedback about the song and the production. No vocals yet but they're very close to being finished!

Arbiter master 2.mp3 - DivShare

stream the track from the above link and remember to press play on the embedded player..!

Last edited by AEL89; 23rd January 2009 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: changed URL
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
hi

Its not such a bad try. To my ear and according to this style, the guitar tone is nice. But it is too loud and covers the drums. The drums are lacking dynamics, attack and presence; also the bass is barely audible.

this is just my two little cents, hope it helps. Don't worry, i heard much worse.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
You're right, the levels aren't right. Just recently upgraded to pro tools 8 with the music production toolkit and did a new mix of this track... problem is my mix room is really bass heavy so I think I've over-compensated for this problem whereas before I referenced my mix on as many sound systems as i could. I'll post a new mix in a few minutes.

With the drums - in terms of dynamics I don't really know what to do...only the kick is triggered fully. I kept the hitting really hard on purpose cos I kinda like it that way. Snare is half and half natural tone and triggered tone. Toms are completely natural. I've EQ'd compressed everything... would have bussed the drums and multiband comp but the only one I have is the one in izoptope and I find the colouration crazy enough using that for mastering.

Thanks thanks thanks!
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ok i changed the attached file in my original post! Check it now. Thanks
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The cymbals sound really quiet. They don't seem to have any dynamic impact to the music. It almost sounds like the drummer isn't hitting any cymbals, and there is someone in another room playing just the cymbals. The snare also sounds a little too heavy on the snare rattle to me, and almost doesn't seem to fit with the deeper sound you are getting from the toms, but that is just a personal opinion.

I like the tune! Can't wait to hear it with the vocals!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey, thanks for the feedback although i'm not entirely sure I know what you mean. OHs and cymbals need some work though so I agree with you there.

All I did to the OHs was put a high pass filter on them, boost a little top end and applied a bit of gentle compression with a slow attack and release. I also applied a touch of reverb and some really gentle distortion to dirty up the sound a little bit. They definitely don't sound distant on their own though. I'll bring them up a touch though. Any tips to really bring them out at all?

Fair point - I do love a lot of snare on my snare drum though. I blended a few snares together including the black album snare (tones of rattle on that) and combined that with the original snare about 50/50 trigger and natural tone.

Thanks a lot for listening though. I'll definitely post up here once the vocals are done and I'll post the other album demos as we get through them. Keep the advice and feedback coming and they'll surely sound a lot better with each new track!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
sounds kinda cool but with all this mega quantised drums and replaced kick and snare stuff i think why didnt the drummer and engineer just program it or record with D Drums to start with? The OH/Rooms in metal are mixed so low and with such a high LPF no one would notice the difference anyway?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hey rhythmmaster - I agree with you to an extent. These drums aren't actually quantized in any way - I didn't have multitrack beat detective when we recorded this track but he's really good to a click anyway.

The only drum which is entirely triggered is the kick. Snare is 50/50 and the toms haven't been touched. Our drummer uses a tama rockstar with evans G2s (I believe) so the natural tones are good on their own.

When we actually record our album, which I won't be recording, we're hopefully going to head to Sphere or Britannia Row in London for the drums with the view of using only natural tones for the kit.

Thanks for listening though - any further feedback is of course welcome!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…