Blackmetal, without the crappy sound ;) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blackmetal, without the crappy sound ;)
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Blackmetal, without the crappy sound ;)

Blackmetalband from holland!

I'm currently finishing it all.. we got some more time then we thought so thats time i can spend well on the mix and master!

So know i'm pondering if i should clip it with my rme converters using my new tube compressor as the booster, or do it nuendo with some clipper plug ins..

here's a comparison:

Clipped RME AD with the tubecomp: Lugubre - Via Negativa Rme AD clipped.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Daw Clipped: Lugubre - Via Negativa Clipper.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

I personally don't hear that much of a difference.. toms sound a bit clearer maybe with the rme ad..

And any comments on the mix would be cool too.

Mvg,

JB!
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i think you did a great job. it seems the snare gets a bit lost in the blast parts? sounds better then most bands of this style. please tell what gear was used and how you did it?
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds great man! I does sound a bit too 'opgepompt' to my ears though.. The whole 'let's keep the dynamics' debate is a bit old, but I think it could do with a little less loudness..
Might also be the drumbuss/snare compression that's causing that sensation..

'opgepompt' is dutch for, errrmm... 'pumped up' I guess...

huub
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sounds a bit like Dark Funeral .

I don't like the guitar sound, to much mid frequencies for the genre perhaps, dunno . They should sound EVIL , like the guitars on the secrets of the black arts heh

YouTube - Dark funeral , the secrets of the black arts, by Ginø
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I hear you on the guitar sound!
But its very difficult to make the chords come out if you are using more gain and less mids.

It was, or make it sound evil and lose some detail on the chords.. make it sounds like this huge buzzing beehive when blasting (which isn't all that bad at times )

Or make it all a little bit clearer so everyone will be able to hear the chords.
(and to quote the bass player " i never really heard this riff before!!" )

I did have my doubts when tracking.. palm mutes sounded pretty weak due to the lack of gain, but they never play those luckily haha
It all fell to place when i had 4 tracks of it going!

It wouldn't fit every band in this genre i guess.. but i thought it did this band justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub ➑️
Sounds great man! I does sound a bit too 'opgepompt' to my ears though.. The whole 'let's keep the dynamics' debate is a bit old, but I think it could do with a little less loudness..
Might also be the drumbuss/snare compression that's causing that sensation..

'opgepompt' is dutch for, errrmm... 'pumped up' I guess...

huub
I see what you mean! i actually wish that i could turn it down a little.. but this is exactly what the band wanted, and even though i suggested it would sound better a little less clipped, and a little less compressed, this was what they wanted.. and i'm in service of them right?

I have quit some compression going on the drum buss and snare.. dude wasn't a really constant hitter and less snare comp and more automation didn't seem to work.. and sample replacement isn't an option.. so that's a bit of compromise i guess..

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman72 ➑️
i think you did a great job. it seems the snare gets a bit lost in the blast parts? sounds better then most bands of this style. please tell what gear was used and how you did it?
Thanks!
And i was kind of battling the snare bleed, like i said the snare wasn't always consistent in volume (he's a great drummer nonetheless..)
This was as far as i could go if i didn't want this huge amount of lofi overhead in my mix

As for the gear..

It was all mix itb with nuendo, recorded with audient, mindprint and rme preamps.

Guitar was 1 peavey 5150 and one marschall 2203, both with a tubescreamer, both amps recorded at the same time.
i used a Rb100 ribbon and a audix i5 on the marschall and a sm57 & md421 on the 5150, both on v30 cabs.

Bass is Sansamp with it a coron 15 pedal and a odb3.

Vox is an Sm7b.

Thanks for the comments and help guys

JB!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for not using samples on the snare its great. i too am a fan of keeping the mids up on the gtrs when i do death metal. i dont like that scooped beehive gtr tone.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think your mix sounds better than the dark funeral example
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub ➑️
I think your mix sounds better than the dark funeral example
ever heard the stereo version heh
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I know, I know I realized the mono-ness of youtube.. But still, the buzzing bee sound I don't like.. I think it's refreshing to mix blackmetal with a bit more organic sound..
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
IMO, "that crappy sound" is what helps create the atmosphere of Black Metal. When I heard your clip it reminds of every Swedish "black metal" recording I have heard (guitar tone, vocals, drums, everything)

Your drummer sounds great and everyone seems skilled in your band, so you should keep mixing while listening to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas until you sound as similar as possible

I think it was Euronymous who said that black metal is all about the "melody and atmosphere" where death metal focuses more on the "rhythm and brutality" Clean crisp production like yours fits very well with death metal, but I think it has little to do with black metal.

Stay Metal
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
very good mix. I would de ess the vocals a little though. Very good black metal. I would purchase this album.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks paulosticks! and the band is Lugubre +++Official+++ on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos , it should be out in late february i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshepherd ➑️
IMO, "that crappy sound" is what helps create the atmosphere of Black Metal. When I heard your clip it reminds of every Swedish "black metal" recording I have heard (guitar tone, vocals, drums, everything)

Your drummer sounds great and everyone seems skilled in your band, so you should keep mixing while listening to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas until you sound as similar as possible

I think it was Euronymous who said that black metal is all about the "melody and atmosphere" where death metal focuses more on the "rhythm and brutality" Clean crisp production like yours fits very well with death metal, but I think it has little to do with black metal.

Stay Metal
I beg to differ.. indeed blackmetal has its roots in bands that ruled with pretty "atmospheric" sound, but those times are gone and you don't have to come with a imo crap sound to be BM (eventhough the mysteriis dom sathanas is a great album)

Good examples are bands like Watain, The Shining, Enslaved, Urgehal.. they are doing well with a good sound.
And you can still do the atmospheric bm with a decent sound.. thats something bands like Wolves in the throne room prove..

Were getting to old for Burzum and Euronymous worship
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
*listening on a laptop*

I like your mix a lot, especially the guitar sound. My one criticism is that the drum verb/room sound doesn't make me think "black metal". Drum atmosphere needs to sound more grim.

Other than that it's great.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I agree, its is a bit TOO clean.. needs more Tsjuder
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Enslaved are a good example...IMO the sound they got at Greighallen is where you want to aim (right now you sound like the more generic stuff done at The Abyss)
If you want a more brutal in your face sound, I also think the production on Thorns and Dodheimsgard 666 International are also both amazing.
Just avoid that Swedish sound!!!! Your album will join the ranks of thousands of others that sound just like that, and you will never stand out)
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
You have some good points there!

I don't know if i can do better at the moment, but i'm gonna put it next to the ones you said and give it another wirl

Btw..

How did everyone experience the 2 versions? which one do you think is better?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…