Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Royer Stereo Mics example on drums/percussion

4 mics...

Shure Beta52 (sorry... brainfart) on front of Kick with front head on
Shure SM57 on shell of snare
Royer SF-12 on OH's
Royer SF-24 (phantom powered) on Percussion

This is completely flat with no processing during tracking or when I bounced down the MP3.
Attached Files

royer stereo mics demo.mp3 (2.28 MB, 1424 views)

Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
;-)... well but maybe it could be only 1 minute long and higher MP3 quality.

The hat is gorgeous, fantastic - pillow like... I want sample cd from this hat

percussion is too soft for me, if I had it, I'd want more snap from it by transient modulator... but who knows.

Great, this is the firstime I hear royer and finally I have an idea how it sounds... thanks.
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by matucha
;-)... well but maybe it could be only 1 minute long and higher MP3 quality.

The hat is gorgeous, fantastic - pillow like... I want sample cd from this hat

percussion is too soft for me, if I had it, I'd want more snap from it by transient modulator... but who knows.

Great, this is the firstime I hear royer and finally I have an idea how it sounds... thanks.
Excuse time... I MP3'ed it low res and variable bit so it wouldn't take 5 hours for me to upload on dial up. (I know, I know... I catch enough **** in the chatroom)... Sorry bout that. About the sample CD thing, I may start on one while things are slow, at least for me.

The final version for some TV show on fox I threw Waves Trans X Multi on the percussion and added some snap on the top with a bit of a scoop in the mids which left room for the snare, and then a sharpen attack on the low and let the tone ride through. It's supposed to air early next year, I guess. Some motorcross/Xtreme show.
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
as I said... it could be 1/2 duration and better MP3, but never mind, character came through (though I bet the original sounds less dark)... however this made me now at 2:33AM to look at the royer prices at mercenary ;-))))))
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
...and I forgot... what Pres (and Converters) have you used?
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
great... now I'm giving mercenary business... the irony...
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
...and I forgot... what Pres (and Converters) have you used?
Digi002. I was pleasantly surprised at how natural it sounded. I really didn't expect it. Those are the kinda moments that make you realize how much more important mic's and their placement are than the pre's. I was hoping to use my gear (weakest link in the chain and all that) on this project, but there was no budget, last minute, cartage couldn't happen, etc so their wasn't much I could do but roll up my sleeves and engineer.

I'm glad some of you found it useful.
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool Cue ! Nice sounding beats. thumbsup
Old 27th November 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
great... now I'm giving mercenary business... the irony...
stay calm ;-), can't afford to buy it at the moment... I need some good voiceover mic and other things first. But this ex. placed Royer (or ribbon) on the map for me. In the end I'll buy it secondhand ;-)...

the converter/preamp thing is almost scary, considering sf12 should have been driven by powerful preamp blah blah blah....

This example reminds me some early bossa-nova sound I always liked ;-).
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Okay I have yet to hear my SF12 sound this good on drum overheads. Don't get me wrong--it sounds good, but not like this. It makes me wonder what I am doing wrong? Maybe it's my room. What was the room like that this was recorded in? What kind of kit? Any more info you can give about mic placement for the overheads, e-cue? Did you use any limiting before making the MP3? It kind of sounds like it.

thanks,
Brad
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the kind words. And here Fletcher had me thinking I didn't know what I was doing.
[tears up Home Depot application]
No limiter, but I probably hit the reds on my master fader. The kit OH placement was much higher than I usually have it at. The percussionist was sitting next to the drummer during the shoot and the ceilings were pretty low so there was a considerable amount of bleed. I'll try to find out when the episode airs so you can see everything in action.
Old 29th November 2004
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
002? Maybe I should just skip the HD upgrade and just keep some money in the bank!!!!! I kinda dig the brainfarting kickheh. Love the percussion

SIN
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah I would definitely like to see the episode if it actually has footage of everything being recorded. I'm assuming that's what you are talking about. How high are the ceilings in the room you recorded in? I have 11 ft. ceilings and I'm wondering if those are even too low for that mic....usually I'm only a little more than drummer's head height with my placement too.

Brad
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cue what would you say are some advantages/disadvantages of using one stereo mic as an overhead vs. having 2 overhead mics that you can spread out a little more or put in different places to capture different aspects of the kit ?

I imagine the single stereo mic eliminates some phase issues and is just plain easier to deal with for starters but I wanted to know if theres something else you could add.
Old 29th November 2004
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
heh what was the kit? Esp. the hihat. Thnx
Old 19th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinc
Cue what would you say are some advantages/disadvantages of using one stereo mic as an overhead vs. having 2 overhead mics that you can spread out a little more or put in different places to capture different aspects of the kit ?

I imagine the single stereo mic eliminates some phase issues and is just plain easier to deal with for starters but I wanted to know if theres something else you could add.
The main difference I notice is the stereo imagery. The ribbon elements are placed so close together within the mic that the sound hits them pretty much at the same time. If you place 2 mono's together it's close, and often plenty acceptable, but they still won't be as close as the stereo mic. It's a lot quicker IME when getting mic placement. Also, the placement is a bit easier since you only require 1 mic stand (is it just me, or are studio mic stands thrashed like hell these days?) for the stereo versions. I also think if it's a studio's mic, you'll have less a chance of each channel sounding different as opposed to 2 mono's. Of course with the 2 mono's, your placement is more versatile.

I highly suggest you try to check them out in person, but if you can't I hope the MP3 will give you a decent idea of what they are capable of.
Old 19th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
heh what was the kit? Esp. the hihat. Thnx
The kit was a Bleiphuss. I know Cajonezz is also a fan of their stuff. The kick drum had the front head on.
The hats were 13 inch Zildjian K's if memory serves. I know they were K's.
Old 19th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Of course with the 2 mono's, your placement is more versatile.

Yeah. I think for most drummers the SF12 would be sufficient but what if you needed to mic up Slippermans kit ???

You`d need like 4 seperate overhead mics to get that wide.

Maybe 2 SF12`s and a couple IBP`s to blend all that width together would do it. heh

Thanks for the tips Cue.

I`m currently using either a single overhead or two different ones as I have about 15 mics but no matches other than 57`s *Cue slaps forhead*

The SF12 would be a perfect and very necessary addition I think.

I like the idea of just getting one mic sounding good and picking up the whole kit well as opposed to getting two seperate overheads placed perfectly and in phase and all that.

I`m sold !

I`m calling up Mercenary right now and telling em` E-Cue sent me ! heh
Old 20th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
The kit was a Bleiphuss. I know Cajonezz is also a fan of their stuff. The kick drum had the front head on.
The hats were 13 inch Zildjian K's if memory serves. I know they were K's.
14 inch, not 13.
Old 20th December 2004
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by kevinc
Yeah. I think for most drummers the SF12 would be sufficient but what if you needed to mic up Slippermans kit ???

You`d need like 4 seperate overhead mics to get that wide.

thats when you put the one stereo mic behind the drummer.....

If the room is good, the SF12 is probablly my favorite OH mic... great overall kit response IMHO. for rock or ediger stuff, I like the SF 12 out front-ish with a pair of AKG 451s as "cymbal" mics mixed to suit...
Old 21st December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
nice work, que

did you use that IBP phase alignment box thing?
Old 24th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
E-cue, did you add any other parts to it..........or dowe have to wait til the show airs its funky too. I mean to get a few drummers in to record on loops that I can write to.
Old 24th December 2004
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
who was the drummer?

A good drummer goes a long way in making **** turn out good like this.
Old 25th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by genericperson
nice work, que

did you use that IBP phase alignment box thing?
Thanks.

I didn't use the IBP, but once I got started I wish I had. Basically, the gig was pretty low budget, and the agreement was basically that I'd do it if time opened up on the day the shoot went down. At that point, it became a last minute thing on my side, so the only way we could pull it off (on top of this the drummer had a mid-afternoon flight) was to keep it simple. Of course, the director would make comments like "Can we move this mic out of the way so we can get a better shot" etc... An IBP would have made that process much easier.

No other parts were added. The show got some really great drummer on deck (Dave Lombardo, etc...)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
who was the drummer?

A good drummer goes a long way in making **** turn out good like this.
PM me if you want their contact info.
Old 27th December 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mannnnnnnn i need to do u family tree..........LOL there are a lot of Harris' into music.........LOL might be Family
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…