Quantcast
Audio Clips of Rough Mixes from Basics Sessions!!! - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Clips of Rough Mixes from Basics Sessions!!!
Old 14th December 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
skindogms,

nice recording,

I like the sound of the live drums, especially the toms. nice. You did a great job getting the seperation, of instruments yet capturing the live feel. hard to do especially if it was the first time you did it. Like brad says the bass is perfect for that song too.

aloha
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, since I have a page full of rough mixes, I might as well stick my neck out here with the rest of you... try not to step on it too hard.

go to Music and click the link right under the menu bar.

"MattieG" and "Can't Have You" are kinda early attempts at a full on 'demo mix - the rest are pretty much as we did 'em live in the room, with maybe a fader ride or 2 and some basic 'verb on the vocals. Some of them are just straight raw tracks, faders up.

They were tracked through a Crane Song Spider to Mackie HDR24/96, mixed on a D8B or DXB.
Drums were miced with Josephson e22s or Gefell M300s in XY OH, Sennheiser MD441 or Neumann KM184 on snare, and EV PL20 or Soundelux iFet7 on kick.
Electric guitars (Gibson Les Paul '61- 'SG' style or '76 Marauder through Peavey Ultra 610 tube amp) - Senn. E609 silver
Bass - Groove Tubes Ditto DI or ProCo DI
Keys - (Hammond A100, Nord Electro 2, Alesis Andromeda through Fender SFX amp and Motion Sound Pro3) - Gefell UM75 or Soundelux E49
Acoustic Guitar - (various) either direct from onboard piezos/mics to Ditto, or miced with a Gefell M295
Vocals - Beyer M160 (live with band) >MC77 inserted on Spider - O'dubbed R84 or Soundelux E47 or E49 or Brauner VM1 KHE or Valvet BE . Sometimes the VOX went to a Groove Tubes Vipre > Atomic Squeezebox or MC77 > Spider line in or Benchmark AD9624.

Drums were bussed to a pair of Buzz ARC 1.1s for EQ and compression, then 2 channels of SPL Transient designer - 'cause I can!

Scott
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm happy to hear that a lot of you guys also process heavily on the way in great sounding rough tracks!

This is a session I did after spending 3 months installing a custom Neve.
I posted pictures of it in the Drum Pictures thread... Everything through the Neve pre's was heavily EQ'd on the way in. If you want details on that I've got it all written down

Kick - RE20 6" from beater - Neve 33114 pre - Distressor
Snare (Pork Pie)- SM7/M201 both on top - Neve 33114 pre - Distressor
Toms - MD421 - Neve 33114 pre - Drawmer 201 gates
Ovh - KM184 pair XY - Focusrite Red Pre
Room - 414ULX ORTF pair - Neve 33114 pres
Guitars (5150) - M160 4" from grille - Neve 33114 pre
Bass - Avalon U5 (Tone 3) - Neve 33114 pre
Keys (Triton) - Manley Tube DI (Bright setting) - Neve 33114 pre

Straight to Protools at 88.2. The room mics picked up a killer snare ring...

http://ryanojohn.com/mp3/Burmecia%20M1.mp3

Anyone know of or work in any great Boston area studios? I've got a project for mid january, and I'm looking for a decent room for as little as possible...

Are there any SSL rooms in Boston?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow Scott you have a nice mic locker..heh actually you have a ****load of slutty gearthumbsup rofl
I love "cant have you". Is this your music? I still have to check out the other tracks.

How do you like that ifet7 on the kick. I am assuming its on the outside? Did you use an inside mic too?

I scored an ifet7 too but its in for repairs and I am dying to use it.

Good job

aloha
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn ➑️
I'm happy to hear that a lot of you guys also process heavily on the way in great sounding rough tracks!

I posted pictures of it in the Drum Pictures thread... Everything through the Neve pre's was heavily EQ'd on the way in. If you want details on that I've got it all written down

Kick - RE20 6" from beater - Neve 33114 pre - Distressor
Snare (Pork Pie)- SM7/M201 both on top - Neve 33114 pre - Distressor
Toms - MD421 - Neve 33114 pre - Drawmer 201 gates
Ovh - KM184 pair XY - Focusrite Red Pre
Room - 414ULX ORTF pair - Neve 33114 pres
Guitars (5150) - M160 4" from grille - Neve 33114 pre
Bass - Avalon U5 (Tone 3) - Neve 33114 pre
Keys (Triton) - Manley Tube DI (Bright setting) - Neve 33114 pre

Straight to Protools at 88.2. The room mics picked up a killer snare ring...

http://ryanojohn.com/mp3/Burmecia%20M1.mp3

Anyone know of or work in any great Boston area studios? I've got a project for mid january, and I'm looking for a decent room for as little as possible...

holy crap what a sound..thats a rough? very nice drum sound..the kick is to die for. really nice job.

Can you supply more info on room and if it was live or tracked seperate.

aloha
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Hey Ryan,

You have heavy limiting on the 2-buss right? L2? Because my rough mixes don't sound nearly that loud.

Am I the only person around here that actually makes mixes with RMS levels of -18 dBFS or so?

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

The room is pretty lively which is awesome, all the guys were in the one room and live tracked to a click drums keys and guitar. We overdubbed a second guitar track on the high gain parts, and overdubbed bass.

Settings were as follows:
all 33114 Neve EQs (numbers are 'clock' guesses i.e. gain knob at 8 o-clock, and anything to the left of 6 o-clock is positive gain, and to the right is negative gain, so down was zero if that makes sense)
Kick: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Sn SM7: [email protected], [email protected]
Sn M201: [email protected], [email protected]
Toms: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Ovh: no eq
Rm: no eq
Gtr: def had some eq on it, but for some reason I didn't document it, but it was the 33114 eq
Bass: no eq
Master Bus: Massey L2006

other than that just panning and fader levels.

Last edited by ryanojohn; 14th December 2007 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: forgot about good ole bass
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey,

I noticed you are in Emeryville. My place is in Fremont. What's the name of your studio? I'd love to hook up and check it out. Send me a PM!

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker ➑️
Wow Scott you have a nice mic locker..heh actually you have a ****load of slutty gearthumbsup rofl
I love "cant have you". Is this your music? I still have to check out the other tracks.

How do you like that ifet7 on the kick. I am assuming its on the outside? Did you use an inside mic too?

I scored an ifet7 too but its in for repairs and I am dying to use it.

Good job

aloha
Yeah, I'm a micslut - there's a complete (well almost) list here: Pics

The songs are all originals - most (including "Can't Have You" written by Rick Rehnberg - Vocals/acoustic & sometimes bass or drums) Some of them are just spontaneous jams - including lyrics. Some are collaborations.

I love the iFet - it's on the outside, no inside mic. All the drum tracks were recorded using stereo OH, Kick & Snare only.

Scott
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitMus ➑️
Yeah, I'm a micslut - there's a complete (well almost) list here: Pics

The songs are all originals - most (including "Can't Have You" written by Rick Rehnberg - Vocals/acoustic & sometimes bass or drums) Some of them are just spontaneous jams - including lyrics. Some are collaborations.

I love the iFet - it's on the outside, no inside mic. All the drum tracks were recorded using stereo OH, Kick & Snare only.

Scott
Diggin' the kit sound...especially the way the kick comes through between the OHs and front mic...where'd you have it place?
Lives for gear

Quote:

Really great sounding tacks, ryan!

I work in a studio in Boston called Mad Oak. Well, technically it's in Allston, which is where all the Boston University students live. We've got a cool 56-input, 32 channel Tritech (from the folks that built Trident desks...think 80B on steroids) desk, a really kick ass mic collection (way too many to list here!!), and great outboard. Oh, and a well-kept Studer 827 2" deck, and a Ampeg ATR 102 1/2". You can check out the website (http://www.madoakstudio.com), but it blows and is waaay outdated.

I've got the place pretty booked up for January, but there's some free time.

Anyway, PM me for more details.
Old 15th December 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I feel small and insignificant when listening to your raws. I'll jump in anyway, here's an excerpt from a song from our last record. It's only bass and drums, we don't have any more thumbsup. We rented a very small house for that, main heating was a fireplace in the living room where the drums were. Room was very small with very low ceiling but nice (everything wooden, uneven surfaces, no echoes etc.) Drums were Troyan with mainly Ufip cymbals.
Bass went through a Hartke into an Hartke and a Marshall box, which we put in a super small bedroom back to back. Matresses everywhere.

Drums:
BD -> D112 -> Octamic
SD top -> e604 -> Octamic
Tom 1 -> e604 -> Octamic
Tom 2 -> e604 -> Octamic
OH -> KM84 in AB -> DTC
Room -> MK4 / CMC5 in XY -> TL Audio EQ 2

Bass:
Hartke speaker edge -> SM57 -> Octamic
Hartke speaker centre -> EV777 -> 1960
Marshall speaker edge -> SM57 -> Octamic
Marshall speaker centre -> NT1000 -> 1960

Everything went into an Mackie SDR for conversion and then into Cubase.

We overdubbed the bass two times and in the end I put it left, right and middle with -6dB for the middle one. There's only one bass on this snippet and I just put the four mics a bit to the left and right to make it a bit nicer.
Vocals were tracked afterwards so you won't hear them on that snippet.

There are no EQs or anything else here, just levels and pans. This is not the track we chose in the end because of its sloppyness.

Thanks for your time.

Claus
Attached Files

oiler_raw.mp3 (2.51 MB, 1460 views)

Old 15th December 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So I just spent the last 5 hours doing preproduction demos for Dance Gavin Dance, we got 5 songs done, sans vocals... I'm pretty psyched at how the raw tracks came out. All live tracked in with the guys in one room.

Drums: Spaun kit
Kick: MD421 - Distressor
Sn: SM57, C451B - Distressor
Toms: C3000 -Transient Designer
OH: KM184
Room: TLM49

Guitars: Orange Rockerverb, Hughes and Kettner Tube 100
Mesa Cab: SM57, MD421 - 1176
Orange Cab: SM 57, MD421

Bass: Fender Deluxe, Sansamp Rack DI, and homemade DI

Gratuitous EQ and dynamics, on a Neve VR,
Tracked to Protools HD at 88.2, Massey L2006 on the Master

http://ryanojohn.com/mp3/DGD/DGD05.mp3

...maybe i went a BIT overboard with compressing the kick lol, mixing this will be fun
Old 16th December 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds good ryanojohn,

wow thats loud, did you pump it up on the two buss?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So I just spent the last 5 hours doing preproduction demos for Dance Gavin Dance, we got 5 songs done, sans vocals... I'm pretty psyched at how the raw tracks came out. All live tracked in with the guys in one room.

Drums: Spaun kit
Kick: MD421 - Distressor
Sn: SM57, C451B - Distressor
Toms: C3000 -Transient Designer
OH: KM184
Room: TLM49

Guitars: Orange Rockerverb, Hughes and Kettner Tube 100
Mesa Cab: SM57, MD421 - 1176
Orange Cab: SM 57, MD421

Bass: Fender Deluxe, Sansamp Rack DI, and homemade DI

Gratuitous EQ and dynamics, on a Neve VR,
Tracked to Protools HD at 88.2, Massey L2006 on the Master

http://ryanojohn.com/mp3/DGD/DGD05.mp3

...maybe i went a BIT overboard with compressing the kick lol, mixing this will be fun
Sounds ****ing great!
MWP
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Please let me know what you guys think.

Through These Walls — Roger Mexico

MWP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
I had what I thought was a pretty good idea the other day. Why not start a thread of postings that include a rough mix (no cheating!) of basics tracks of songs or clips of songs, with detailed descriptions of set ups, techniques, and any sort of amusing "war stories" that may influence the character of the sound.

I feel it'd be a great way to check out other people's approaches, tricks, and equipment you may be unfamiliar with, plus it might just conjur up some funny anecdotes.

In order to keep this fun, we'd all have to avoid any kind of criticism on the quality; this isn't the "Work In Progress/Advice Needed" section, so keep yer damn mouths shut!

I hope you all enjoy/chime in!
MWP..please read the above quote of the original poster. The idea behind this thread is all there. Please add some info about this track and how it came about. What makes this thread cool is its different approach, not just another what do you guys think about this song. We are interested on how you recorded the basic tracks, what techniques you used, instruments used, what was the room like, any interesting stories or unusual situations that you had to deal with etc etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWP ➑️
Please let me know what you guys think.

Through These Walls — Roger Mexico

MWP
I myself like the song. I like it alot, let us know more abouts its creationheh

aloha
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
sounds good ryanojohn,

wow thats loud, did you pump it up on the two buss?
Well there was the Massey L2006 on the ST bus, which definitely helped the volume... People like loud roughs to take home...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well there was the Massey L2006 on the ST bus, which definitely helped the volume... People like loud roughs to take home...
all neve preamps? that spaun kit sounds good too...is that the studio kit?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Don't perpetuate the unnecessarily loud audio by giving in to those "people". Educate clients on the glories of dynamic range and transient response instead. Instruct the ignorant on the proper use of the volume knob.

Carry on.

Brad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
all neve preamps? that spaun kit sounds good too...is that the studio kit?
It's all Neve VR preamps, in a different studio than the last clip I posted... I don't really have a studio persay, so I'm in and out of different places a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️
Don't perpetuate the unnecessarily loud audio by giving in to those "people". Educate clients on the glories of dynamic range and transient response instead. Instruct the ignorant on the proper use of the volume knob.

I felt that the limiter on the STbus would actually make it closer to the sound the band was expecting as a final. For this style of music the mixes are always crushed no?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah that's the problem. Engineers send home extremely loud rough mixes. Bands expect loud final mixes and masters. Engineers make loud/distorted/clipped/crushed CD's to keep clients happy. Clients then demand loud/distorted/clipped/crushed mixes the next time they record. It's a vicious cycle. Those that care about audio quality need to break that cycle somewhere. If each of us took the time to educate our clients on what a clipped waveform was and play A/B samples of full dynamic range audio versus clipped audio that is level matched, then I think at a grass roots level we could eventually restore dynamics and fidelity to the recordings people are making. The classical world doesn't limit their recordings to death. Those listeners seem to know how to use their stereo volume knobs. Why can't the rest of us do that?

Okay end of soapbox speech.

Brad
Old 19th December 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

OK, here's another one...a bit of a departure from my previous posts. This is an all-acoustic demo I did for Tony Furtado. This is all Tony except for the organ drone; he started with the main acoustic guitar then added the banjo and National tracks. Tony's a monster...

Anyway, here are the notes:

Acoustic Guitar (a Martin, I believe he said it was from 1948) -

-Spaced pair of MTG M300s in close, into a custom preamp we got at the Oak
MS pair a couple feet back with a TLM 170 on the Mid and 414 on the Side, into 1084s
-AEA R84 in front of the headstock, but pointing towards the 12th fret. I forget which pre I used.
-BLUE Bottle with the B6 capsule 3 or 4 feet over his right shoulder, into a Redd47

Compression via Distressors (pretty gentle stuff, to bring up some rattle and detail), EQ via 1084s (just a bit of top)

Banjo -

-Spaced pair using one of the M300s, and a 414
-Shure Bullet mic into an Avalon U5 for some grit

There's some compression on the banjo care of a Chandler TG1 to warm it up, plus some EQ in PT (c/o Massenburg plug, to kill this weird 350Hz-ish ring), and from the board (for tone-shaping stuff)

National -

- MS pair, in the same position used for ac gtr
- BLUE Bottle with B7 cap, in the position we had it in for recording vocals (hey, it worked!!)

This was going into an 1176; I don't think I had any EQ on it

Organ drone (played by the producer, Sean Slade) -

- 421s into a Nice Pair

filtering was done at the desk

Oh yeah, that thumping quarter note is me banging the top of a Lesley cabinet, recorded with 421s (in stereo!! HA!).
Attached Files

Mississippi.mp3 (3.78 MB, 1533 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hey that was some nice thumping there dude.

6 mics on the acoustic..hehe did you have any phase issues? when you say space pair in close, how close were the mics to each other?

nice recording
Lives for gear

Heh heh, thanks.

I generally don't go quite that crazy with micing an acoustic, but we were doing three very different-sounding songs with two guitars and very little time, so I wanted to have my ass covered. That said, the phase was shockingly good!! Anyway, I think on that particular clip I was using mainly the close M300s, which were doing the 12fret/bridge thing, about 12-18" from the guitar. I also had the MS in there for some ambience...I don't think I used much from the OH or R84.

One of the great things about working with Tony was that he NEVER moves while recording. It's a miracle!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ahh i see, you didnt end up using all the tracks. Sounds really good, you cant beat working with pros like that. I am glad you posted, the thread has been slacking lately..heh

I hope to have some more stuff to post soon.

aloha
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
im loving that mississippi track
Gear Guru

Here's one of the takes of a drum track I cut last night to an existing production. Kinda backwards but the drummer was Lionel Cordew so it went fine. It was the first time recording my new studio kit, a Tama Starclassic Fusion Birch set.
The setup was:
kick in Audix D6- Focusrite Isa 110
Kick Out Soundelux U195 - Focusrite Isa 110
Snare top AKG 460- Daking 52270b
Snare side AT 4041- Daking 52270
Hat AT 4041- ISa 220
Fl Tom Top AKG 414 TL II API 312 Console summed
FL Tom Bot 421 API 312 Console summed
Mid Tom Top AT 4050 - API3124mb summed
Mid Tom Bot 421 API 3124 mb summed
Hi Tom Top AT4050- 3124 mb summed
Hi Tom bot 421 -3124mb summed
Cymbals Left & Right KM184- Amek 9098
Overhead U87 Amek 9098
Room mics ADK TL in X/Y- ADL 600
This was my attempt at the Joe Ferla technique of
close micing the cymbals and using a mono overhead. For this song I think it worked well since the drums were jazzier.
There was no eq used at all but I did patch compressors on the kicks and snares only on the mix, I never track drums with compression.Distressor and an Aphex 651 on the 2 kicks. On the snare were Musgrave modded Neve V compressors
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Clips of Rough Mixes from Basics Sessions!!!-tama.jpg  
Attached Files

Leaveit Ruff.mp3 (4.99 MB, 1947 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Lou,

So did you use the 651 on both the inside and outside kick or just one of them? How do you like it? I was thinking of picking one up.

What are you using on for the bass in that song? It sounds really deep with lots of subsonics.

Brad
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️
Hey Lou,

So did you use the 651 on both the inside and outside kick or just one of them? How do you like it? I was thinking of picking one up.

What are you using on for the bass in that song? It sounds really deep with lots of subsonics.

Brad
I think I used it on the outside, but I have two of them so sometimes, depending on where I need the compressors I've used 2 651's on the kick one for in and one for out.
They're fast and work well for this app, I like the low cut feature for the in the kick mic.
Also keep in mind I didn't track with the compression. The bass was a moog sample from exs 24. I think for this tune fretless would be nicer and I'm trying to convince to artist to get a fretless guy. I know a great one , but so far they are staying with the moog.
What I like about the 651's in general is they're fast and they don't wreck your audio ajnd these days you can find them used for pretty cheap.
One of these days I'll send one to Jim Williams and see what his magic does.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…