The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Volume automation is making me panic...
Old 1 week ago
Volume automation is making me panic...

Hi. Volume automation is making me panic... Because i work alot about volume automation but, i still hear unwanted hop pops on vocals like unexpected high pops and unbalanced feels... There is any better trick?

The balance I'm looking for happens when I use the limiter a lot, but using the limiter too much this time spoils the audio.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdem the mixer ➡️
Hi. Volume automation is making me panic... Because i work alot about volume automation but, i still hear unwanted hop pops on vocals like unexpected high pops and unbalanced feels... There is any better trick?

The balance I'm looking for happens when I use the limiter a lot, but using the limiter too much this time spoils the audio.
Because for me it's more precise, I prefer editing the sound file itself to automation. This goes for most instruments and of course, vocals.

g
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps ➡️
Because for me it's more precise, I prefer editing the sound file itself to automation. This goes for most instruments and of course, vocals.

g
What do you mean about "editing the sound file itself to automation" ? My english still not perfect so i can't understand well... What do you mean by editing sound file? Any example? Video or something?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What do you mean about "editing the sound file itself to automation" ? My english still not perfect so i can't understand well... What do you mean by editing sound file? Any example? Video or something?
Sorry it took so long but this site made me make another password since my old one was 19,*** days old. Anyhow,
I load the sound file into the audio editor (usually by double clicking on the waveform), highlight the area and perform whatever action I need to take. Then, save that file under the original name with either a number or letter attached to identify it. This is of course dependent on what functions the editor will allow you to perform. Most will allow you to raise or lower levels by percent or Db changes. If they need more specific (ie; eq, compression, etc.) then I may load them into a specific app to edit that file then reload that edited file into the song and saving the original if the edited file is not workable for other attempts.

g
Quote:
Sorry it took so long but this site made me make another password since my old one was 19,*** days old. Anyhow,
I load the sound file into the audio editor (usually by double clicking on the waveform), highlight the area and perform whatever action I need to take. Then, save that file under the original name with either a number or letter attached to identify it. This is of course dependent on what functions the editor will allow you to perform. Most will allow you to raise or lower levels by percent or Db changes. If they need more specific (ie; eq, compression, etc.) then I may load them into a specific app to edit that file then reload that edited file into the song and saving the original if the edited file is not workable for other attempts.

g
You mean cut audio clips and set gain?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I guess it depends on you program. In logic you can just highlight the area and process that segment if you have opened the wav form in the audio editor. I can't speak as to how other apps work but I'm sure that if you do cut the wav into segments, you should be able to "glue" them back together into a single file.
Quote:
I guess it depends on you program. In logic you can just highlight the area and process that segment if you have opened the wav form in the audio editor. I can't speak as to how other apps work but I'm sure that if you do cut the wav into segments, you should be able to "glue" them back together into a single file.
I am using Pro Tools. Honestly, I would like to be able to flatten my vocal waveforms 100% to the dB I want with one click. Thus, there was almost no need for a compressor. That is, fully smoothing out all the swells and troughs of all sound in a fully professional manner, without distorting the sound, creating muffled or pumping sound.

Think of a straight line, just like this one. Is this possible?
Old 1 week ago
The biggest problem I have is when I don't want to keep my vocals up front and I want to place my vocals in a perfect balance with the vocals and instrumentals in Hollywood quality, as in industry standards, my vocals, in some places while singing the song, can't be understood. I have such a problem. Is my microphone bad? I am using sE Electronics V7.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The biggest problem I have is when I don't want to keep my vocals up front and I want to place my vocals in a perfect balance with the vocals and instrumentals in Hollywood quality, as in industry standards, my vocals, in some places while singing the song, can't be understood. I have such a problem. Is my microphone bad? I am using sE Electronics V7.
What decade of Hollywood standard are you referencing? If it's today, then I don't think there is a standard. The singing can't be understood because people now mumble everything. Or, they over compress and eq with reverb the the track into complete mud. But, that's my opinion.
there is a segment that asks the question " is it the gear or the engineer" For me, that became a non issue nearly 20 years ago with todays new standards. which I'm sure the flaming will now begin.
Remember, I'm 72...and completely irrelevant.
Quote:
What decade of Hollywood standard are you referencing? If it's today, then I don't think there is a standard. The singing can't be understood because people now mumble everything. Or, they over compress and eq with reverb the the track into complete mud. But, that's my opinion.
there is a segment that asks the question " is it the gear or the engineer" For me, that became a non issue nearly 20 years ago with todays new standards. which I'm sure the flaming will now begin.
Remember, I'm 72...and completely irrelevant.
To give an example, like Bohemian Rhapsody? Or Disney song mixes? Life is a highway song? Like these.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
never listened to a Disney song ... remember I'm old and irrelevant. I don't think Hollywood had anything to do with the other song you mentioned and since it was analog in 75, then it would have involved faders and not digital editing.
Quote:
never listened to a Disney song ... remember I'm old and irrelevant. I don't think Hollywood had anything to do with the other song you mentioned and since it was analog in 75, then it would have involved faders and not digital editing.
Do you know Sony PCM-3348 ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Do you know Sony PCM-3348 ?
Yes I am but I believe Queen use a trident B for the final mix and a single 24 track analog tape recorder was used involving 150+ overdubs in various studios for much of that album. The recorder you're asking about did not arrive on the scene till the late 80's and still used tape as it's medium.
Quote:
Yes I am but I believe Queen use a trident B for the final mix and a single 24 track analog tape recorder was used involving 150+ overdubs in various studios for much of that album. The recorder you're asking about did not arrive on the scene till the late 80's and still used tape as it's medium.
Yes, what you said is correct. I have a Multi-Track wav export of Queen Bohemian Rhapsody. A stems you maybe know. When I examined the vocal channels, I noticed that on some vocal channels, more than one vocal was recorded on a single mono channel. Because it's analog and old.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…