new Bats Brew album: Elemental - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new Bats Brew album: Elemental
Old 12th July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
new Bats Brew album: Elemental

hey everybody,
this new album of mine has been re-mixed and re-mastered.....
i'm selling the new versions thru BandCamp.
this is a much more dialed in mix, with new drum kits and a different mix perspective.
and it does rock.

here's a link for purchase and checking out all the tunes:
Bandcamp:
https://batsbrew.bandcamp.com/album/elemental-4

it's still available on Amazon and apple music,
but only the original files are there ....
the new ones are better!!

here's a rocker, and a quick vid I made for it

"The Day They Robbed the Bank of England"

Old 15th July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
for the non utubers

Old 16th July 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
worth a bump for the weekend!

people gotta rock on the weekend too.....
Old 18th August 2021
Old 27th September 2021
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsbrew ➡️
hey everybody,
here's a rocker, and a quick vid I made for it

"The Day They Robbed the Bank of England"

Like that. Hearing some Rush influence in there occasionally.
Old 29th September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet_Rockstone ➡️
Like that. Hearing some Rush influence in there occasionally.
hey chet! thanks man,
yea, rush, how can you not be influenced by those guys if you dig proggy stuff!!

i think the first song i ever learned to play in a band was 'working man', off the 1st album!! LOL
Old 30th September 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
hey chet! thanks man,
yea, rush, how can you not be influenced by those guys if you dig proggy stuff!!

i think the first song i ever learned to play in a band was 'working man', off the 1st album!! LOL
I listened to your whole album. Fine work there. The songs are rocking; so well performed and have interesting elements to them...more than just straight ahead rock 'n' roll (but plenty of that too).

The whole thing is very well mixed and mastered. Sounds cohesive and professional. Nothing's hard on the ears or sonically inconsistent from song to song.
Old 4th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I listened to your whole album. Fine work there. The songs are rocking; so well performed and have interesting elements to them...more than just straight ahead rock 'n' roll (but plenty of that too).

The whole thing is very well mixed and mastered. Sounds cohesive and professional. Nothing's hard on the ears or sonically inconsistent from song to song.
wow chet! thanks man,
yea, the whole album works as 'an album', because it was literally written with that intent.

i wanted something that was 'classic', that would sit alongside some of the early rock that i dig most...
but still sound modern, but without being overcooked by the mastering,
which most modern stuff released now seems to be.
Old 4th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
wow chet! thanks man,
yea, the whole album works as 'an album', because it was literally written with that intent.

i wanted something that was 'classic', that would sit alongside some of the early rock that i dig most...
but still sound modern, but without being overcooked by the mastering,
which most modern stuff released now seems to be.
I think you accomplished your goal. It's a nice big sounding modern mix yet I'm experiencing no ear fatigue. You're in the Goldilocks zone it seems. I don't sense much if any digital nastiness either. Was the entire album using the Iridium? Great separation of instruments yet solidly glued together . Love the old school hard prog integrated with old school hard rock and occasionally southern boogie rock. A valentine to those days, imo.
Old 5th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Was the entire album using the Iridium?
THANKS AGAIN, chet...
i'm so glad someone is getting to hear this stuff....

so, YES, the entire album was done with nothing but the Strymon Iridium.

i more or less made it a goal, to find the right IR's to use, and get the sound i wanted.

sometimes, i monitored it all in the headphones,
sometimes loud thru the monitors,
and sometimes i'd take a side out i was not recording, route that into the front of my mesa boogie, and use THAT to monitor very loudly,
gave me that big amp room feel, while i was actually recording direct.
Old 6th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
THANKS AGAIN, chet...
i'm so glad someone is getting to hear this stuff....

so, YES, the entire album was done with nothing but the Strymon Iridium.

i more or less made it a goal, to find the right IR's to use, and get the sound i wanted.

sometimes, i monitored it all in the headphones,
sometimes loud thru the monitors,
and sometimes i'd take a side out i was not recording, route that into the front of my mesa boogie, and use THAT to monitor very loudly,
gave me that big amp room feel, while i was actually recording direct.
Right on, man. Sweating the details usually yields good results. It's a shame, though, that in this era of content glut, the cream often has a hard time rising to the top.

Yeah, I can see how routing to your Mesa would help the live room energy of your playing but I couldn't tell which monitoring method you used from song to song (or maybe you mixed them up instrument to instrument or even take to take). Btw, I speculated you were DI-ing because you needed to do silent recording but I guess that wasn't the case, at least not all the time.
Old 8th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Right on, man. Sweating the details usually yields good results. It's a shame, though, that in this era of content glut, the cream often has a hard time rising to the top.
man, i'm trying so hard!!

Quote:
Yeah, I can see how routing to your Mesa would help the live room energy of your playing but I couldn't tell which monitoring method you used from song to song (or maybe you mixed them up instrument to instrument or even take to take). Btw, I speculated you were DI-ing because you needed to do silent recording but I guess that wasn't the case, at least not all the time.
i'm lucky, where i can track at any volume i want (2-story house, basement studio setup) so i almost never do silent recording.

usually, if i'm using just the iridium, it's still really loud thru the monitors, mixes almost like a loud studio mix, and i'm playing along.

but sometimes, having that 'girth' from MORE volume, via the boogie and a couple of cabs, makes a lot of sense to get the big amp feeling coming thru on the recording.

i can mix and match the cabs, the boogie head, and the iridium in any fashion i care to take the time to cable up,
but by far, the biggest bang for the buck,
and the easiest/fastest setup to get from point A to point B,
is the Iridium.
Old 15th October 2021
Gear Nut

Yeah having your own house to record loudly in is a big plus even if it's for monitoring purposes only.

I'm a little confused about something. I know you didn't mic a live amp but were there any other pedals in front of the Iridium such as delay, modulation, reverb, etc.? Or were those effects applied with plugins on the way in or after the fact?

Nice stuff. If you've got a minute, can I get a detail shot of your pedalboard so I can see exactly what you're running there? Or just list the stuff if you prefer. Thanks in advance. I'm currently putting together my first real pedalboard (better late than never). I'm learning as I go, so it's cool to see what others have got going. My stuff is mostly mid-priced to start out and at least one "affordaboard" pedal; the Caline Pure Sky. I ordered the pricey Strymon Zuma power supply though because who knows what the future holds for me in terms of power gobbling pedals?
Old 15th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm a little confused about something. I know you didn't mic a live amp but were there any other pedals in front of the Iridium such as delay, modulation, reverb, etc.? Or were those effects applied with plugins on the way in or after the fact?
hey chet!
yes, i used all my pedals liberally, in front of the iridium.
sometimes i just used the Iridium. just depended on the requirements of the song.
with the iridium, i use all three models (fender deluxe, vox ac30, marshall superlead) with a BUNCH of different IR's.
most of the effects on this album were printed as they were recorded, because i ran thru a Boss DD-200 for a lot of it.
sometimes the tracks were bone dry, and i added a little something during mixdown.

Quote:
If you've got a minute, can I get a detail shot of your pedalboard so I can see exactly what you're running there?
pedalboard:

order of effects:
budda wah, tuner, tone press, fat boost, DDSS, Revv G3, Exacta, Mini Deja Vibe, out to Iridium, into Boss DD-200, out to interface.

i also have a ISP Decimator that is off the pedal board, that i sometimes use if i'm stacking a lot of high gain, but i didn't use it on the "Elemental" album.

the picture shows the iridiu and dd200 setup in stereo, but i only used a few stereo tracks on the album, i mostly record in mono, and when i do that, i usually just mute the right inputs on the interface, and use theleft as a mono input, using mono IR's, and MONO settings on the dd200.

the stereo is awesome tho!

when doing bass tracks, i run mono into a Sansamp bass di, and send one output from that to a mono track, then i send another output from the sansamp (clean thru output) to the Iridium and use the marshall model thru a Ampeg 4x10 bass cab IR, and then blend those two together, summed into a bass sub buss on the mixer. (studio one pro).

recording in mono, gives you the best opportunity at clean tracks that offer zero phase issues, and it's dead easy to pan, and stack, with mono tracks.

the power for the pedalboard is a DC Brick, which has been a great power module, and has (2) 18-volt power outs for the two pedals i run at 18v (barber DDSS, and the Mini Deja Vibe).
very quiet power supply
Old 17th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Wow thanks for taking the time to give that rundown of your gear and your recording methods!!! The pics are great. I'm going to do some research on your pedals to bolster my pedalboard learnings. I've been more or less taking a crash course on the subject during the last week or so. There's a lot to it I'm finding out and I'm buying more pedals than I'd originally planned on buying. lol. Learning about buffer pedals at the moment. I'm also considering the variety of wahs and volume pedals out there.

So that's how you got that ballsy bass sound. Iridium + SansAmp. Was the SansAmp a little wanting on its own in terms of fatness and cutting through the mix or were you just looking for a unique tone by blending it with the Iridium?

The DD 200 sounds awesome. Was the stereo setup for clean guitars...maybe some spacier sounding stuff? Would be great to know which songs you did that on so I can check them out.

Imo, it's nice to print on the way in to avoid endless plugin tweaking and CPU strain. I'm considering getting a DD 200 or DD 500 on the used market. There are good deals to be found for them. A Strymon Timeline would be great because they're so natural sounding but they're beyond my budget even used at the moment.
Old 18th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Was the SansAmp a little wanting on its own in terms of fatness and cutting through the mix or were you just looking for a unique tone by blending it with the Iridium?
you know, the sansamp sounds great by itself, but i had been studying how geddy lee mixes his bass, and he uses multiple sources, and just take the best of several sources, and blends them accordingly...
so this was my experiment with that method.
the iridium is really geared towards guitars, but when you consider something like chris squires playing thru super leads and 4x12 cabs, using the superlead model thru and ampeg bass cab seemed legit enough, and using the sansamp for just the low bass worked well.
the mids and highs are more distorted, of course,
but i will also experiment with it the other way, using the iridium for clean top tones, and distorting the low end of the sansamp.

Quote:
The DD 200 sounds awesome. Was the stereo setup for clean guitars...maybe some spacier sounding stuff? Would be great to know which songs you did that on so I can check them out.
i honestly cannot remember where i did and did not use the dd200 as printed tracks, because i was literally jumping from song to song, part to part, over time, and there was a lot of spur of the moment decisions going on.
on the "Insignificant" song, that was the 1st song i recorded after getting the dd200, and i know i used the "shimmer" setting for the rhythm chord work, you can hear the shimmer come in after the chords are played, and it sounds like synth pad, but it isn't.

some of the solo guitars with long delays were done directly from the dd200.

i'd have to actually go thru all the mixes and solo or look at mixdown sends and returns to give an accurate rundown.

Quote:
I'm considering getting a DD 200 or DD 500 on the used market. There are good deals to be found for them. A Strymon Timeline would be great because they're so natural sounding but they're beyond my budget even used at the moment.
love the sound of the timeline, but the cost is why i passed on that one.
i didn't need the full blown potential of the dd500, so i settled on the dd200.
it's a great unit.

some of my favorite settings is the binson echorec, space echo, tera echo and good ole analog
Old 18th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
you know, the sansamp sounds great by itself, but i had been studying how geddy lee mixes his bass, and he uses multiple sources, and just take the best of several sources, and blends them accordingly...
so this was my experiment with that method.
the iridium is really geared towards guitars, but when you consider something like chris squires playing thru super leads and 4x12 cabs, using the superlead model thru and ampeg bass cab seemed legit enough, and using the sansamp for just the low bass worked well.
the mids and highs are more distorted, of course,
but i will also experiment with it the other way, using the iridium for clean top tones, and distorting the low end of the sansamp.
Cool! I like the deep dive on using multiple amp/cab sources you've done. The Super Lead model thru an Ampeg bass cab is informative because it worked really well. I'm getting an education here. Chris's sound was always ballsy and way out front..an innovator at that and definitely an influence on Ged. Good to hear how that sound was accomplished. I heard another way to get attack out of a bass recording is to double the bass line with a guitar. But that might be old fashion now that we have these crazy modeling units and their connectivity options.

Quote:
i honestly cannot remember where i did and did not use the dd200 as printed tracks, because i was literally jumping from song to song, part to part, over time, and there was a lot of spur of the moment decisions going on.
on the "Insignificant" song, that was the 1st song i recorded after getting the dd200, and i know i used the "shimmer" setting for the rhythm chord work, you can hear the shimmer come in after the chords are played, and it sounds like synth pad, but it isn't.

some of the solo guitars with long delays were done directly from the dd200.

i'd have to actually go thru all the mixes and solo or look at mixdown sends and returns to give an accurate rundown.
Oh no need to go looking through everything. Maybe jumping from song to song is why everything sounds so fresh and cohesive. The shimmer in "Insignificant" is what's giving it that dreamy quality, I take it. Really love that.

Quote:
love the sound of the timeline, but the cost is why i passed on that one.
i didn't need the full blown potential of the dd500, so i settled on the dd200.
it's a great unit.

some of my favorite settings is the binson echorec, space echo, tera echo and good ole analog
Ok cool. Thanks. Sounds like a great delay pedal and I take it it's easier to dial in sounds than the DD500. After reading some reviews on the vast optionality of the DD500 and that it requires tons of tweaking, I think I'll pass on it. Now I'm getting stoked about the Meris Polymoon delay. While it's still highly tweakable, it seems much less complicated to dial something in and it sounds terrific. You can run it stereo and it has phaser/flanger, LFO control and takes an expression pedal. At $299 new it's just within what I'm willing to spend. I might be sending the Flamma delay I bought for $76 back to Amazon after a comparison with the Meris if I decide to pull the trigger on it.

I looked up that DejaVibe you have and its magical! It time travels you back to the late 60s/early 70s. Electro Harmonix makes a good univibe clone too and it's more affordable but the DejaVibe is ridiculous!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…