For Brad Delp (of Boston) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
For Brad Delp (of Boston)
Old 1st July 2007
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up For Brad Delp (of Boston)

A Man I'll Never Be (Acoustic).mp3

[I guess the attachment function still isn't working. I'll host the file for a little while to give people a chance to hear it.]

Ever since his tragic death, I wanted to try recording "A Man I'll Never Be" as sort of a tribute to Brad Delp. It's my favorite Boston song. I imagine that song hit home for him, as it does for me.

My sister's birthday is today, so I recorded an acoustic version for her as a present, since it's her favorite Boston song, too.

It's far from perfect, and I'm well aware of its shortcomings, but if you like it at all, I'm always happy to hear that someone else enjoyed it. I don't have the range of Brad Delp (few do), and he made this song sound so effortless. I did the best I could with it. And I couldn't match the great original arrangement, so I tried something a little different.

Anyway, I hope someone else likes it, and I hope it serves as a reminder of what an amazing talent he was.

-Mike
Old 1st July 2007
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Most, Most , MOST Excellent!!

I'm now going to have to dump out your brain and find out how you cloned
the Boston sound so well.

Hey I'd be happy to do the solo.
And I will!

Ooooh and some drums too I shall do!

:Ron
Old 1st July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman ➑️
Most, Most , MOST Excellent!!

I'm now going to have to dump out your brain and find out how you cloned
the Boston sound so well.
Thanks!

You mean the backing vocals?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Very well done! Thanks for sharing. Great job on the vocals on a difficult song to sing. Backing vox were stellar.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks!

I just listened to it for the first time on my iPod, and I think the high harmony could be a little louder during the chorus. I'll probably make that little tweak at some point.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice job Mike. I enjoyed it.

I bet you felt like your vocal chords were going to blow tracking that one, eh?

Being from Boston, I had the pleasure of seeing Brad perform in very small clubs around the city over the past couple years with the tribute band Beatlejuice. Don't know if anyone on here is familiar but Brad and a bunch of studio cats from around here put together a Beatle band and played clubs (just the music, not the look) and it was absolutely mind blowing. I still love the BOSTON stuff and hearing Brad perfectly emulate every Beatle vocal tone just affirmed what I already thought...he was a singing savant. Words can't describe what that man could do with his voice. I've never heard anything like it. If you closed your eyes John Lennon was in the room, then Paul (and each of his tones) and on and on...

I had the pleasure of talking with him not long before his death. Who would have known? A tragic end to a great singer's story.

dk
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for listening, David.

And I'm a big Beatles fan, so I think I would have really loved his Beatles stuff, too.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem ➑️
Thanks!

You mean the backing vocals?
Yeah, for starters.
Boston's BVs always had an interesting phase/eq thing going on, and you nailed it.
The acoustic sounds "right" also.
Old 2nd July 2007 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi!

I think you did a fantastic job with this one, perfect vocals (could indeed be a little louder in the chorus) and the production sounds wonderfull too!

Wow, I realy love how your vocal sound when you reach those high notes! Fantastic!!

Take care!

Ricardo
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
dude !!

Great vocals
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You guys are very kind. Thanks so much!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Maybe someday we can meet halfway, Like in Green River or Mack or somewhere and jam some Boston n' stuff.

Hmmm I wonder if they have 110vac in Mack.

heh

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman ➑️
Maybe someday we can meet halfway, Like in Green River or Mack or somewhere and jam some Boston n' stuff.

Hmmm I wonder if they have 110vac in Mack.

heh

Any and all inquiries about jamming with me will be forwarded to my representation.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I uploaded a new mix--no huge changes, other than bringing up the high harmony a bit in the BV. I brought down the piano a hair in a couple spots, and made the horn end properly with the strings at the very end.

Anyone mind my ending? I never really liked the Boston ending. That organ seemed excessively loud. I would have preferred a tasteful guitar solo, probably.

And no one has inquired about the gear, so I'll offer up the following, if anyone is curious.

Vocal and guitar: TLM49 -> Pacifica -> RME FF800 -> Cubase 4

I also blended the direct from the guitar, which went through my UA Solo/610.

The guitar is a Taylor 12 string, doubled 4 times (two left, two right)

And if you like the mix, I'm using a ton of UAD-1 plug-in's, including the two new ones.

If you don't like the mix, I'm using Waves. heh
Old 3rd July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Great singing! Great job overall!

One of my favorite songs also.
Old 6th July 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fantastic tribute! I hope you don't mind if I add it to my music collection?
I think alot of people, myself included were shocked at his passing. That was a great job and I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for posting it!!
Old 6th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Man, you have great chops! Top notch vocals.

I'd love to hear the acoustic version, though. This one was clearly something done with a sequencer. Not that it is anything wrong with that. The love shines through.thumbsup
Old 8th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Jorgen ➑️
Man, you have great chops! Top notch vocals.

I'd love to hear the acoustic version, though. This one was clearly something done with a sequencer. Not that it is anything wrong with that. The love shines through.thumbsup
Yeah, my options were not repeat the last verse, or do something different with it. I opted to try a little orchestration. I hope it's not too distracting.

I'm uploading what's probably the final mix now. I made a couple minor tweaks, and upped the bit rate a little.

Thanks again to all who listened, and especially to all who took the time to post a comment. thumbsup
Old 8th July 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow. That's better than anything I've done, for sure! I wish I could get that kind of depth and clarity on my vocals.

The orchestration didn't distract me at all. In fact, I noted to myself how it sort of sneaked in there without being too obvious.

The piano might be a touch murky, but that's about all I can say.

Thanks,

Aric
For sample of my work visit
Jungle Noise Studio
Old 9th July 2007 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Wow. You have a great voice.

I didn't even realize that Brad had passed on. This is a great tribute.

Please do tell your gearsluttiness equip setup and signal chain to produce vocals like that! And yes - how did you emulate that boston vocal harmony sound - are the harmonies processed? Are you using melodyne?

The piano is the only thing a little lacking - it sounds a bit dull compared to the rest.

Thanks - you rock.

-Andrew
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
excellent job. what piano patch did you use?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
You've done a really good job at capturing that Boston sound heh and don't worry about the ending... it's great, as are those backing vocals - will you give some tips on how you achieved those

you sure gave a nice birthday present to your sister
Old 12th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre ➑️
excellent job. what piano patch did you use?

It's a Bosendorfer in giga format I converted to HALion a long time ago, and I'm running it through HALion 3.

I was having weird memory issues with Ivory, so I bailed on it and went for something less memory intensive.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABGen ➑️
Please do tell your gearsluttiness equip setup and signal chain to produce vocals like that! And yes - how did you emulate that boston vocal harmony sound - are the harmonies processed? Are you using melodyne?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus ➑️
...those backing vocals - will you give some tips on how you achieved those
Thanks for the nice words, guys.

Y'know, I didn't do anything too crazy. I tracked each harmony four times, I think. I panned them around a little. I used a little melodyne in spots where needed, just to clean up a few things.

I sent all of those into a stereo group, which had the following inserts and sends.

The inserts were: UAD-1 LA3A -> UAD-1 Neve 1073 (high boost, cut some high mids).

For sends, I had the UAD-1 Dimension D (which may be the mystery factor!), and then a little CSR Reverb Room, and then a little UAD-1 Plate 140.

The lead vocals used similar inserts and effects, but on a separate group.

My hardware chain is listed above, but again, it's:

Neumann TLM49 -> Pacifica pre amp -> RME Fireface 800 -> Cubase 4

Thanks again to all who listened, and keep the comments coming, because they've been really nice!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow

Wow... You have a voice of the ages.... Classic voice.... Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

The mix is excellent too...
I always hated that acoustic sound though, but I wont hold that against you!
GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Amazing work!

Just goes to show that when there is talent

there is no ITB vs OTB
Cubase vs PT
or Mac vs PC

and everybody is happy
Old 13th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakewire ➑️
Wow... You have a voice of the ages.... Classic voice.... Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!
That's very, very kind of you--thanks! To be honest, praise from peers means so much more than from random non-musicians/non-engineers.

Thanks again.
Old 13th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bit mangler ➑️
Amazing work!

Just goes to show that when there is talent

there is no ITB vs OTB
Cubase vs PT
or Mac vs PC

and everybody is happy
Thanks! And that reminds me--Cubase/ITB/PC's ruuuuule!!
Old 15th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
BTW, my sister really liked it.
Old 17th July 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

One of our fellow gearslutz requested an uncompressed wave version of the song. I rar'ed it up for him and uploaded it to my site. The link is available upon request, if anyone else is interested. Just send me a PM.

This is my last unsolicited bump post, I promise!

-Mike
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…