Quantcast
MIX FEEDBACK - Acoustic, Vocals, Electric - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIX FEEDBACK - Acoustic, Vocals, Electric
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

MIX FEEDBACK - Acoustic, Vocals, Electric

Hey all,

Looking for some feedback on a recent session I tracked and mixed. We tracked acoustic and vocals together live and then overdubbed the electric part. What do you like? What don't you like? Anything obvious sticking out? Mostly interested in notes on tracking and mixing here, although I'm happy to pass along any thoughts to the artist as well.

https://soundcloud.com/arthur-fowler...-the-gold-rush

Let me know if you have any questions re mics/placement, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by sirjuxtable; 18th May 2020 at 05:30 PM..
Old 18th May 2020
Lives for gear
Hmmmm. . .

Seems a bit on the quiet side?

Ray H.

PS. Maybe it is my weak eyesight - I didn't see any associated session link?
Old 18th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
Hmmmm. . .

Seems a bit on the quiet side?

Ray H.

PS. Maybe it is my weak eyesight - I didn't see any associated session link?
Weird. I could've sworn it was there the first time around. Thank you! I edited the original post.
Old 19th May 2020
Here for the gear

Oh man, this sounds really nice.

Acoustic is full and round and not at all brittle (though I think my ears could always use a little more high-end dispersion. Blame my father who's still got the ears of a twenty year old at nigh on 60.)

Interesting texture with that thizzy guitar layer, it works really well. I feel like it could use a little more obscurity perhaps, but that's probably just the dubbist coming out in me.

What are you recording all this through? Sounds warm and lovely.

Thanks for reminding me of Neil Young, I think he's gonna be a good friend to bring me into my 30s.
Old 19th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon ➡️
Oh man, this sounds really nice.

Acoustic is full and round and not at all brittle (though I think my ears could always use a little more high-end dispersion. Blame my father who's still got the ears of a twenty year old at nigh on 60.)

Interesting texture with that thizzy guitar layer, it works really well. I feel like it could use a little more obscurity perhaps, but that's probably just the dubbist coming out in me.

What are you recording all this through? Sounds warm and lovely.

Thanks for reminding me of Neil Young, I think he's gonna be a good friend to bring me into my 30s.
Thanks, Jevon! Those are really helpful notes. The recording was very simple - vox and acoustic were recorded as live and then electric was overdubbed.

Acoustic: Beyerdynamic MC930
Vocals: SM7B
Electric: Beyerdynamic M260DX

All through my Daking MPIV.

I've been working on building a recording chain that I can grow with, and these mics and pres seem to give me a good foundation. I'm quite pleased with them. In this case, the weakest link is not the gear - hence posting here. I'm definitely looking to improve my tracking and mixing.

Good thoughts on the acoustic. The MC930 has a bit of a peak at 10ish k that I could probably have tamed a little more, and it tends to extend up forever. I notice this the most on overheads, and I forget whether I did a high shelf or low pass on the guitar here or not, but it's becoming standard practice for me with that mic on drums.

In terms of the electric, it does jump out a little. The pickups were very dark, and I may have overcompensated with EQ in the high mids. Maybe a let it sit a little darker and give it a little more verb it bring it back in the mix a touch? I like where your head's at. Having listened to your demo track as well, I think we may have a similar aesthetic sense for some of these things. Really appreciate the listen!
Old 19th May 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjuxtable ➡️
Thanks, Jevon! Those are really helpful notes.
I'm glad you found them so!

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Just giving this a little bump in case anyone else is willing to lend a pair of ears.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…