Quantcast
Help with mastering! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with mastering!
Old 19th January 2019
Here for the gear

Help with mastering!

I having trouble finding the right balance for this song I mixed. I feel like it needs to be more brighter, but when I do it makes everything sound “harsh” and energetic to the ear at loud volumes. I’m looking for a clean and open sound. How can I achieve this in the mastering? I posted the song I’m trying to master, with the “best” results so far. A reference track would be “Si estuviésemos juntos” by Bad Bunny.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Best thing is to hire a Mastering engineer that with the right experience will help you out
Old 19th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Zaccaria ➡️
Best thing is to hire a Mastering engineer that with the right experience will help you out

I understand the concept of mastering, the problem is mastering your own mixes, sometimes you can be your worst enemy. For this track I’m trying to get a quick master for some distribution we are doing through YouTube, therefore it would be very helpful if someone can give me some tips.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Deleted e461f65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvonfranco ➡️
I understand the concept of mastering, the problem is mastering your own mixes, sometimes you can be your worst enemy. For this track I’m trying to get a quick master for some distribution we are doing through YouTube, therefore it would be very helpful if someone can give me some tips.
why dont you post at the "where to" sub forum and get someone to do it ASAP
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e461f65 ➡️
why dont you post at the "where to" sub forum and get someone to do it ASAP
New to the forum, but I’m not looking for a final master, just a quick fix on the one I did. Once the full project is done, the artist team have their own mastering team waiting for us. Just looking for some quick advice here. Learn something new.
Deleted e461f65
Quote:
New to the forum, but I’m not looking for a final master, just a quick fix on the one I did. Once the full project is done, the artist team have their own mastering team waiting for us. Just looking for some quick advice here. Learn something new.
Absolutely and please feel free to ask. I just thought that paying someone for their time would be better for you. Best of luck
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
As everyone already mentioned ur best bet would be a ME
But since u re askin for advice and posted your audio i think , (No ME here) , a spectral dynamic tool (soothe for exp) might help in ur case (audio posted ) . Might tame some upper freq harshness u re experiencing without sacrificing too much presence and brightness
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Head

It sounds great except for the hi hat which to me seems pretty edgy.

Can you tame the 'sibilance' of the hi hat with a de-esser or treble limiter within the hat channel (?), or can you find somewhere effective to scoop out its trend towards that sort of ice pick /static quality with a parametric dip? Sweeping a narrow cut in that channel between 2 and 9 kHz might help locate the target to attenuate, since it could be painful to sweep a boost of same.

Just pulling it down might work, since it rather cuts through. That's the main thing keeping me from straight-up cranking the song in headphones. Then a mastering session will be able to start with a balanced mix that can tolerate boosting treble across the board.
Old 20th January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_mask ➡️
It sounds great except for the hi hat which to me seems pretty edgy.

Can you tame the 'sibilance' of the hi hat with a de-esser or treble limiter within the hat channel (?), or can you find somewhere effective to scoop out its trend towards that sort of ice pick /static quality with a parametric dip? Sweeping a narrow cut in that channel between 2 and 9 kHz might help locate the target to attenuate, since it could be painful to sweep a boost of same.

Just pulling it down might work, since it rather cuts through. That's the main thing keeping me from straight-up cranking the song in headphones. Then a mastering session will be able to start with a balanced mix that can tolerate boosting treble across the board.

I actually was able to fix the master by boosting the Hats just a bit more in the mix. It made the song much more open sounding. I also EQ the instrument bus a bit darker so it wouldn’t sound so “energetic” throughout the whole song. I tamed some 3.5k of the snare and now it sounds much more tolerable and “smoothl” to the ear at high volumes. I’ll post the final in a bit!
Old 21st January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
I actually was able to fix the master by boosting the Hats just a bit more in the mix. It made the song much more open sounding. I also EQ the instrument bus a bit darker so it wouldn’t sound so “energetic” throughout the whole song. I tamed some 3.5k of the snare and now it sounds much more tolerable and “smoothl” to the ear at high volumes. I’ll post the final in a bit!
Where's the original .mp3 you posted?
Old 21st January 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_mask ➡️
Where's the original .mp3 you posted?
Had to take it out, due to song nonbeing release yet. I can post a 30 second clip of the new master. Also, this thread was moved? Anyone know why?
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Head

Let's hear it.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…