Good dance music mastering NYC - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good dance music mastering NYC
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good dance music mastering NYC

Hi guys,

I'm mixing a couple of 12"'s for a new group that is looking for suggestions on where to master. It's not full on house music, but it's definitely kick drum centered, bass heavy stuff with vocals.

I have used Master Disk and the "urban" music guy at Sterling Sound before. I'm looking for a few other suggestions. Someone that has experience with mastering for vynil would be great.

Please no out of town suggestions. They need to attend the session in NYC.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Btw. I am aware of Herb Power and Rick Essing. Thanks.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
People / places in NYC with a lathe that would likely do a good job for a 12" single:

Rick Essig - R.E.M. Sound | Rick Essig Mastering
Paul Gold - Salt Mastering - Mastering for CD and Vinyl - Brooklyn, NY
Tony Dawsey - Masterdisk.com
Joe Lambert - Joe Lambert Mastering
Sterling - STERLING SOUND ::: Welcome!

I believe Herb Powers is located in Orlando, Florida now.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How about, I do the mastering digitally and they try to make it translate to vinyl as accurate as possible? Just asking.

Regards,
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_Vinatea ➡️
How about, I do the mastering digitally and they try to make it translate to vinyl as accurate as possible? Just asking.
How often do you have your white cotton gloves laundered?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold ➡️
How often do you have your white cotton gloves laundered?
Not that often! heh But I DO wish the master vinyl guy tries to replicate my work. It's that something you're good at or am I too little for you? Just asking.

Regards,
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
But I DO wish the master vinyl guy tries to replicate my work.
And I would like world peace. Unless you have cut you are shooting in the dark. There are many little tricks to getting loud cuts. For an LP your work could be translated even if you really screwed it up. Not so for a 12".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gold ➡️
And I would like world peace. Unless you have cut you are shooting in the dark. There are many little tricks to getting loud cuts. For an LP your work could be translated even if you really screwed it up. Not so for a 12".
That's why I don't do vinyl Paul Gold, it's not my specialty. Though, if I put my mind together, I would at least be cutting great test records like I used to at Tuta's Prime Cutz {it's a New York thing, I doubt you'd know what i am taking about}.

Regards,
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Too bad I am 60 miles north of NYC. Dance music is my background and though only 6 months into cutting you can check out my work so far.
CDM Mastering on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

I recommend going to sit in with [email protected] or Andy @ mdisk

Last edited by dietrich10; 30th January 2009 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: link
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Regards,
there is an amazing neumann lathe system on ebay now.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 ➡️
there is an amazing neumann lathe system on ebay now.
link ?
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
hi fred
its a complete al grundy vms 70 system

Neumann Disk mastering system, VMS-70 Lathe - eBay (item 160312683446 end time Feb-07-09 11:56:23 PST)
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Too bad I am 60 miles north of NYC. Dance music is my background and though only 6 months into cutting you can check out my work so far.
CDM Mastering on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
I recommend going to sit in with [email protected] or Andy @ mdisk
Ehm... thanks Dietrich, but I am not the OP. He does want a place in Manhattan only. With that said, I'd only recommend Sterling
Quote:
Yep, that's a great investment for tough economic times

Regards,
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ehm... thanks Dietrich, but I am not the OP. He does want a place in Manhattan only. With that said, I'd only recommend Sterling Yep, that's a great investment for tough economic times

Regards,
When is nyc not brooklyn?

Great price for that lathe. I've spent $$$$ in less than a year with repairs and setups on mine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
When is nyc not brooklyn?
Good point, that makes Staten Island NYC too right? But a Brooklyn address is not a Manhattan one and you know it. Unless of course you like to visit the Botanical Gardens, there is nothing worth to go sightseeing for in Brooklyn, maybe a museum heh. Park Slope? Yeah, I like it, nice residential area, but so is Bay Ridge where I literally lived for years. Try waiving for a yellow cab in Brooklyn and you'll get one when hell freezes over. You call a car service instead no? . Nah, NYC is Manhattan, my island , my town. Brooklyn is only NY.

Edit: I do know that Manhattan is another borough, I just think that it's the real NYC. Brooklyn is as some of the hommies say, "Crooklyn".
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Dumbo, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, Greenpoint, Williamsburg...plenty of hipper hoods' in Brooklyn than Manhattan now.

All cab friendly now.
Its become around same price to live in either borough in some comparable areas.

I miss my Dumbo office on the water.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Its become around same price to live in either borough in some comparable areas.
Please PM your real state agent a.s.a.p

Quote:
I miss my Dumbo office on the water.
I've read that "Brooklyn is even more full of hipsters than Manhattan thanks to Williamsburg." too. It was probably written by a guy who lives in Brooklyn heh. Hey, but seriously, I love Brooklyn too. I've done very fine dinning as well {and it's more affordable too}. Take care.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Got to say that while a good deal of mastering studios have closed in Manhattan - i.e. Sony Music (downsized and moved into Trutone's old place as Battery Studios), Battery, Classic Sound, Jigsaw, Frankford Wayne, Trutone, Hit Factory, Master Cutting Room, etc. -
a good number of mastering studios have opened up in BK - i.e. Joe Lambert, Salt, On Air, Timeless, Spleenless, Total Sonic Media (my own place), and I'm sure a few others that I'm missing in the list.

Basically Brooklyn is where the musicians are, where the clubs where people actually go to really listen to music instead of just being seen are, where more and more the studios are. To me there's a lot to be said for lower overhead, and for being a little closer to where the community you work with actually hangs out.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP ➡️
Hi guys,

I'm mixing a couple of 12"'s for a new group that is looking for suggestions on where to master. It's not full on house music, but it's definitely kick drum centered, bass heavy stuff with vocals.

I have used Master Disk and the "urban" music guy at Sterling Sound before. I'm looking for a few other suggestions. Someone that has experience with mastering for vynil would be great.

Please no out of town suggestions. They need to attend the session in NYC.
Give Tony Dawsey and the guys at Masterdisk. 212-541-5022
Closed