Quantcast
Humanization My Thoughts - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Humanization My Thoughts
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As a drummer the idea of artificial humanization seems weird. I have no problem playing to click, sliding a few hits etc, but if you want a drummer with feel hire one, don't edit it into perfection, then humanize it. Just my personal opinion.
Old 17th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmmqac ➡️
That is dead right horseface. .
how rude!
oh wait, the guy's name really is "horseface"
Old 17th September 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle808us ➡️
Personal Thoughts on Humanization of midi tracks.
Can of worms? Probably.
A bit of back ground on myself.
I played in my own and others bands thru out my teen years into my 30’s.
I finally can afford Logic. I am retired. I'm back into making music.
During this time I was also learning theory composition, arranging, and songwriting.
The Songwriting being my favorite.
Now I have time to play.
I have logic and other music apps for my Macbook and my iPod.
I score all my music, I do not do Classical but Rock.
I started sequencing using a Roland MC 101 and a TR909. I wrote everything on Paper then programmed it into the TR 909 and the MC101 synced with Midi.
While doing this I was playing in bands.
No on to how I feel about humanization.
Neither the TR909 or MC101 had humanization.
Logic does. I am not a fan.
When I score something that is the way I would like it played.
If I wanted it played off the notes, etc. I'd play it myself.
I think the people hollering about humanization should go ahead with it if that’s what they want.
But don’t bitch about the “midi sound” of other peoples work.
After years of dealing with “Human Players” I'm Thankful for my machines.
Who are at the ready to work don’t show up on cocaine, heroin, various pills and liquors.
Actually do show up and are not late, do not have to “Play it their way.”
And are capable of playing what I have written.
So as for humanization no thank you. Tried it don’t like it.
If you like it that’s fine with me I won’t complain about you using it.
I've been working with various forms of music bots since the early 80s, even before MIDI was in place. (Control voltage sequencers -- no 'humanization' necessary as the quirky analog circuits produced lots of 'variation' of their own in both time and, especially, pitch.)

I would say that if someone complains about the 'midi sound' or other robotic character of a given work, they're not a good audience for that work. If the artist truly likes it that way and he's making music first and foremost to his own vision, then that's that.

If, OTOH, the artist is trying to put his music over to a given audience but that audience is offput by aspects of the sound, that's something one ought to roll around in his mind.

Also, in the sense that the 'unexamined life is not worth living,' it might be worth looking again at one's own preferences and predilections to make sure they are not 'preferences of convenience.'

With regard to 'humanization' of the robotically induced kind (randomizing event times and/or velocities) I have a very go-light approach. Sometimes a tiny bit of randomization adds an ineffable little something. But even a little too much and things just start sounding weird. Robo-sloppy, if you will.

But, really, the bottom line -- to my thinking -- is that if a MIDI sequence feels stiff and robotic -- just randomizing events is probably NOT going to do much to improve it.

Flat, uninvolving, 'robotic' sounding beats are generally not so much about time as they are about dynamics-over-time , in my experience. I've 'seen' beats that were smack on the grid, down to the 960th of a QN -- but that had flow and groove -- because the dynamics flowed across the beats and did not robotically hit the same dynamic value (and so same multi-sampled layer in the case of multi-samples, which, really are a huge help at avoid robo-sound, as well, when done right) on parallel beats (the fourth beat of every 2nd bar has a velocity of 116, for instance).
Old 18th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️
With regard to 'humanization' of the robotically induced kind (randomizing event times and/or velocities) I have a very go-light approach. Sometimes a tiny bit of randomization adds an ineffable little something. But even a little too much and things just start sounding weird. Robo-sloppy, if you will.

But, really, the bottom line -- to my thinking -- is that if a MIDI sequence feels stiff and robotic -- just randomizing events is probably NOT going to do much to improve it.
YES!!! Robo-sloppy. That describes it perfectly; and it bites you hard after hearing the tiny positive effect of applying a tiny amount of randomization.
Old 18th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmmqac ➡️
YES!!! Robo-sloppy. That describes it perfectly; and it bites you hard after hearing the tiny positive effect of applying a tiny amount of randomization.
When I'm working with artificial drums in a roots situation where one would expect/desire a real drummer and kit, there's often a spot in my process where I go through my drum parts with the rest of the music up and really give a good listen to the drum details in context, possibly rewriting/reworking parts, trying to carry the song better, complement other instruments -- or just stay out of the way.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…