My Experience - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Experience
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
My Experience

For years I wanted to work with what seemed to be the top guys in my genre... Took some time, but I got there and once I did, I find out I do not like them, cannot stand to see them steal and lie! This is what they seem to do. Take others music and profit the pennies. Being around these humans is a depressing site. most of them are huge drug users, theieves, liars! So all I wanted 5 years ago was to meet and make tunes with what i thought was the cream of the crop to find out they are the scum of the earth! In my daily life most are rather cool and I do ok with money and toys... I made tunes because I love it and will continue, but never again will I send, share, or release to one of these trashy people. They are the type of folks that make you not want to be apart of a certain crowd. Not all of them, but I would say out of the 7 or so I wanted to work with, 4 of them are completely horrible people. Shame
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Life is an interesting journey. As long as you keep learning you know you're on the right path and you'll grow from your experiences.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik ➑️
For years I wanted to work with what seemed to be the top guys in my genre... Took some time, but I got there and once I did, I find out I do not like them, cannot stand to see them steal and lie! This is what they seem to do. Take others music and profit the pennies. Being around these humans is a depressing site. most of them are huge drug users, theieves, liars! So all I wanted 5 years ago was to meet and make tunes with what i thought was the cream of the crop to find out they are the scum of the earth! In my daily life most are rather cool and I do ok with money and toys... I made tunes because I love it and will continue, but never again will I send, share, or release to one of these trashy people. They are the type of folks that make you not want to be apart of a certain crowd. Not all of them, but I would say out of the 7 or so I wanted to work with, 4 of them are completely horrible people. Shame

This is one of the main reasons I'm no longer in the music industry.

Aside of the fact that the basic economics of the industry are almost impossible.

Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yeah, well... there's multiple layers of "irony" or perhaps the better word is "bastardry" in this business, it's always struck me as peculiar or counter-intuitive or just plain sick... why, when the ostensible aim is to soothe and invigorate and cheer and buoy, there's so much craven heartlessness at the core, in the actual day-to-day operations.

Why is this? No real over-arching theory, yet... but it almost seems like it has to be this way... given the innocence and joy at the center of it, something about human nature tells me that it would attract a whole passel of exploitative, thieving pseudo-creeps to manage the process. I'll let you know when I figure it out....
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Joel.

IME, the problem is often the musicians themselves are often the thieving pseudo-creeps.

You don't see it clearly because everyone's all like cool, bro, catch you on the flip side, yada, yada,
we'll split everything 50/50, yo, I gotchya back, yo when we get signed, yo, en whutnot.

Then the minute you go to negotiate anything even remotely REAL, everyone turns into werewolves,
and starts stabbing each other in the back, cutting everyone else out, and turning into egomaniacs.

It's the nature of any business where commissions, royalties, and most revenues are not only largely SCARCE,
but are also almost ALWAYS unclear and abstract.

Basic economics, in the end.

Musicians, who almost NEVER think about money - can often turn into delusional maniacs when they do think about it.

The folks on the sidelines - writers, publishers, producers, engineers, distributors, agents, managers, lawyers, promoters, etc.
have to deal with this personality insanity - on top of the fact that potential income is almost impossibly scarce for everyone.

Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Good points! Furthermore-- musicians-- and I hope this isn't a revelation to anyone-- sometimes or always have this absurd, fantastical orientation, utterly divorced from reality or anything that could be real. My cliche is that it's "one foot in another world"-- by which I suppose I mean 'creativity' or 'imagination,' I guess. Staggering around with one foot that careens wildly in a world of dreams and enthralling visions, that's going to make for an interesting stride.

Also at times there's a devastating, willful obliviousness or self-centeredness that justifies any behavior-- when the ends is the promulgation of their unique and amazingly valuable contribution to society/humanity/universal peace, then any means is fair game.

You just gotta face it that what we're talking about is not manufacturing golf clubs or golf carts or even golf tees-- it's the thrill of victory as the putter sinks the ball in the 18th green-- no way to expect rational reason to have much of a place in that.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
People truly like to be done wrong.... The more **** I lay on someone the better they are towards me, but the nicer I am it seems the more leeway they feel to **** on me... Now, this is only in the dance scene... I have a landscape business and 2 kids etc etc... I do not run into this much beside (breaks). In the daily hustle most are pretty cool peeps to a degree. For some reason, the cocks inside of my genre are like the politicians who have been there too long. They do nothing good, lol
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➑️

Joel.

IME, the problem is often the musicians themselves are often the thieving pseudo-creeps.

You don't see it clearly because everyone's all like cool, bro, catch you on the flip side, yada, yada,
we'll split everything 50/50, yo, I gotchya back, yo when we get signed, yo, en whutnot.

Then the minute you go to negotiate anything even remotely REAL, everyone turns into werewolves,
and starts stabbing each other in the back, cutting everyone else out, and turning into egomaniacs.

Learned that my first year... I couldn't tell you how many labels wanted to sign the **** music I was doing... I mean wowzers!!!! All the club guys and dj guys who sung, rap, make beats were down like 4 flats... till 1: they didnt make their mill 2: contracts state artists get 35% or worse, lol
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

Indeed, Joel!

And I hear ya, Teknatronik!

πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…