Quantcast
Musician Zoe Keating reveals iTunes, Spotify and YouTube payouts for 2013 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Musician Zoe Keating reveals iTunes, Spotify and YouTube payouts for 2013
Old 24th February 2014
Wildfunk
Musician Zoe Keating reveals iTunes, Spotify and YouTube payouts for 2013

Want to know how much a musician really makes from digital services like iTunes, Spotify and YouTube? Zoë Keating is one of the more reliable sources.

The cellist, who self-releases her music rather than work with a label, has made a habit of sharing details of how her earnings break down between different sources, for the benefit of her peers and the wider debate around digital music payouts.

Over the weekend, Keating published her latest set of figures as a public document on Google Drive, splitting her recorded-music earnings from 2013 into sales and streams. In short, 92% of her income last year came from sales – $75,341 – with a further $6,380 coming from streaming services.

Keating’s biggest source of income last year was Apple’s iTunes Store, where sales of 32,170 single tracks and 3,862 albums netted her just over $38,195.

Meanwhile, 185 tracks and 2,899 albums sold through her profile on direct-to-fan site Bandcamp earned a further $25,575, while a mixture of physical and MP3 sales on Amazon earned her a further $11,571.

403,035 Spotify streams earned Keating $1,764, while more than 1.9m views of videos on YouTube – mostly those uploaded by other people featuring her music – earned her $1,248. US personal radio service Pandora generated $3,258 of royalties – but from an undisclosed number of streams.

Keating also notched up 266,331 streams on SoundCloud and 222,226 streams on her Bandcamp site, neither of which generated royalties for her.

She tweeted a link out to the spreadsheet on Friday (21 February) without passing comment on any of the services listed. “2013 music sales & streaming numbers for a middle-aged mom in a non-album cycle,” she tweeted, while noting that Apple keeps 30% of iTunes sales, while Bandcamp takes a 10% cut of sales through its website.

Keating’s per-stream payout for Spotify was thus $0.0044 in 2013. The streaming service said in December 2013 that its average per-stream payout to music rightsholders is between $0.006 and $0.0084 – a figure that includes payouts to publishers as well as labels (or in Keating’s case, self-releasing artists).

Her Spotify payouts were still a long way ahead of YouTube’s $0.00064 per stream: a single Spotify stream was worth nearly seven YouTube streams in 2013. However, it would take 160 Spotify streams to generate the same income for Keating as a single track sale on iTunes.

Musician Zoe Keating reveals iTunes, Spotify and YouTube payouts for 2013 | Technology | theguardian.com
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
She's? making? thousands? of? dollars? for? things? people? can? just? take??????????
Old 24th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
She's? making? thousands? of? dollars? for? things? people? can? just? take??????????
Yeah honestly this was encouraging. It seems like if you're an independent with just 5,000-10,000 hardcore loyal fans (fans that will buy your CD/singles); you can probably do this full time and be fine. Assuming also you're pushing your stuff to other outlets and hopefully getting some casual fan purchases/streams.

Considering she only sold 5,000 records and 30,000 singles this is pretty awesome. If she even spent $20-30k on the record / some marketing that's not bad for a year. Plus I assume she makes some money from performing.
Old 25th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
As I always say, "Digital solutions for an analog world".
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
So if YouTube now bullies everybody into signing contracts where they get even less than from Spotify and then buys/destroys (with the help of bought laws, politicians and whatnot) the services that currently stream for a little... I'm curious what her numbers will be next year.
Old 7th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans ➡️
So if YouTube now bullies everybody into signing contracts where they get even less than from Spotify and then buys/destroys (with the help of bought laws, politicians and whatnot) the services that currently stream for a little... I'm curious what her numbers will be next year.
A few grand less, but her core income is still mp3 sales and it's going quite strong. It's a decent amount of passive income and gigging and media appearances at those sales should be able to make enough to keep the kids in school books and iPhones.
Old 7th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gross figures always look pretty good, for all we know shes in the red...

When someone releases a fully detailed balance sheet along with their detailed marketing plan(so we know what they did to achieve those #`s), across all income streams, then we will have some information worth thinking about...

Old 7th June 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
OK... we know people watch a lot of videos on youtube and a sizable number of those available are would-be promo vehicles for music... but how many people who would otherwise have been actual music purchasers in earlier times are literally sitting there with YouTube on, playing music all day long?

Now, understood that everyone is different, and my view may be somewhat skewed since I've been a paid streaming music subscriber for a decade or so, but I've always sort of assumed most folks go to YouTube to watch music or to maybe to check out a new song that's not in the channels yet.

I mean, for me, it's hard to imagine how YouTube could replace ANY of my conventional music sources. Even when I wasn't on subscription for a while, I still didn't find myself going to YT for listening. It's just not convenient or a very good way to listen to music (and then there's the crappy fidelity!) It's a great resource, I love some of the live vids I've seen and even some of the 'theatrical' vids have their moments. But as a music listening portal? Not for me.
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
PSY recently cracked the 2 billion mark on youtube. If he was getting paid the same rate as Zoe Keating he's probably made about $1.3 million from youtube for Gangnam Style.

The really interesting thing would be how much did youtube make from Gangnam Style?
Old 9th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id Ridden ➡️
Gross figures always look pretty good, for all we know shes in the red...
That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Zoë Keating Puts Her Revenue Figures Into Perspective - hypebot

Keep at it fellow weirdos | Zoë Keating
Old 19th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonythecat ➡️
PSY recently cracked the 2 billion mark on youtube. If he was getting paid the same rate as Zoe Keating he's probably made about $1.3 million from youtube for Gangnam Style.

The really interesting thing would be how much did youtube make from Gangnam Style?
A lot more than PSY... but being that they won't be publicly transparent we don't really know how much MORE than PSY they've actually really made.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…