The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid postpones Q4 earnings call "indefinitely," accounting under investigation
Old 26th March 2021 | Show parent
  #1951
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre ➡️
The impression I get is that much of the forum glitterati are amateurs or semi-pro and in ye olden days, having PT involved having to buy expensive converters. This happened against the background of Avid claiming that its' equipment for both audio and video was "The Professional Standard" - which is of course to play the snob-effect card.
That's true. There was no avenue into PT for prosumers for quite a while (as there was no avenue into great reverbs and other gear), so it was accurate for Avid (Digidesign) to claim that it was a "Pro Tool." And I agree that it was an elitist approach to marketing, but what marketing department isn't expected to claim that their product is *the* choice of the Pros? Accurate, until the market populated with additional Pro options more anxious to cater to their users, and that trend has only continued, along with Avid's trend of being elitist. You know better than I how they've managed to keep their sail from getting waterlogged, but I know full well that public outcry against Avid's practices doesn't subside, and I consistently see a much greater diversity of DAWs on people's screens these days.
Old 26th March 2021 | Show parent
  #1952
Lives for gear
 
Larry Mal's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Which is all good and fine, I think that no one here really is arguing that other DAWs aren't popular or anything.

The only point I made was that years ago around here you literally could not discuss much of anything without the REAPER contingent coming in and trying to make it all about that software. It was exhausting, is what it was.

And on a long time thread about Avid's financial situation I was surprised to see that in 2021 as well.

I would think that there is plenty of room in the world for both Pro Tools and REAPER.

Pro Tools is a very good product and I wish the best to them.
Old 26th March 2021 | Show parent
  #1953
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal ➡️
The only point I made was that years ago around here you literally could not discuss much of anything without the REAPER contingent coming in and trying to make it all about that software. It was exhausting, is what it was.
Ah, yes. I ignored that noise fairly successfully. It had an inauthentic weight behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal ➡️
I would think that there is plenty of room in the world for both Pro Tools and REAPER.
Certainly! People should use what they use, and understand that others might be just as successful with other tools, Pro or otherwise.
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
  #1954
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
I agree that it was an elitist approach to marketing, but what marketing department isn't expected to claim that their product is *the* choice of the Pros?
I noticed a good example of this on Bandlab's site for Cakewalk. If you scroll down a little bit the site makes the claim that Cakewalk has:

Industry-best Engine
Experience the industry-best audio engine, VST3, Touch and all the leading technologies.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Everyone stop what you are using in your studio right now! You are clearly short-changing your clients! What if they found out you were using an inferior audio engine on their works of shart?!!
Old 27th March 2021 | Show parent
  #1955
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Amen to that.

Disclaimer: Have dabbled in Studio One, which i liked, but after opening the same session on both Studio One and PT, we noticed the PT session just sounded better and Studio One didn't have sample-accurate editing
You can change the grid in Studio One to samples, so now I am curious how PT's sample editing is more accurate? Could you expand more on what Studio One doesn't do in this department?
Old 29th March 2021
  #1956
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I'm curious. How do folks here define "industry standard" as it relates to PT and the entertainment industry?
Old 29th March 2021
  #1957
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
"Industry standard" means you can take a project into any professional facility and get right to work. Two-inch analog tape was our previous "industry standard" for music recording. It doesn't mean it's better, just that you don't need to think about spending time and salaries on format conversions.
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
  #1958
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➡️
"Industry standard" means you can take a project into any professional facility and get right to work. Two-inch analog tape was our previous "industry standard" for music recording. It doesn't mean it's better, just that you don't need to think about spending time and salaries on format conversions.
I was worried for a moment. Thanks for being here.
Old 30th March 2021 | Show parent
  #1959
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This happened while ago, at least a couple of years. When we used Studio One, as far as i knew, sample accurate editing was not possible. That may have changed since. What really was the deal breaker for us however, was the actual sound or perceived sound of each DAW. As a matter of fact we also noticed (whether imagined or not), that PT Native didn't sound as good as HDX. This is non-scientifically based opinion and of course YMMV. BTW there were several things in Studio One i preferred over PT (e.g. Console 1 integration, folders, etc.), but in our minds, sound trumped everything else. Cheers.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
  #1960
Lives for gear
 
Doc No's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
This happened while ago, at least a couple of years. When we used Studio One, as far as i knew, sample accurate editing was not possible. That may have changed since. What really was the deal breaker for us however, was the actual sound or perceived sound of each DAW. As a matter of fact we also noticed (whether imagined or not), that PT Native didn't sound as good as HDX. This is non-scientifically based opinion and of course YMMV. BTW there were several things in Studio One i preferred over PT (e.g. Console 1 integration, folders, etc.), but in our minds, sound trumped everything else. Cheers.
Please stop this childish BS! ("tHe dAW souNDed beTTeR tO My EArs")
They sound both exactly the same and I NEVER heard that S1 had problems with sample accurate editing. If PT sounded different from S1 you just did different things, plug ins, levels. Please guys stop those stupid fairy tales.
Old 31st March 2021 | Show parent
  #1961
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No ➡️
Please stop this childish BS! ("tHe dAW souNDed beTTeR tO My EArs")
I agree that most "this daw sounds different than that daw" posts are BS. However under certain circumstances, DAWs can sound different to each other.

Going above 0dBFS on the mixbus, Ableton Live audibly clips pretty quickly, whereas Pro Tools and Logic sound clean on playback to absurd levels above 0dBFS. Of course that all goes out the window on bouncing to 16 or 24-bit and the resulting files will audibly clip, but I've seen plenty of less technical people mixing above 0dBFS on the mixbus. This may account for some of the "daw sounding different" stuff. Never used S1 so I don't know how it behaves.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1962
Lives for gear
 
Aziak's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
In case you missed that article, with the most ridiculous title ever:
"Why Pro Tools Subscriptions Are Good News For Everyone."



Full of marketing/corporate BS, to convince their users about their subscription business model!

Not a single positive comment at the end of this article, from the users.
People are spitting on Avid and they think it is raining! What a bunch of tossers.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...ear-we-ask-why



p.s. That Mike guy, what a tool....a$$ kisser...LOL!


Cheers!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1963
Lives for gear
 
IM WHO YOU THINK's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal ➡️
Amen to that.

Disclaimer: Have dabbled in Studio One, which i liked, but after opening the same session on both Studio One and PT, we noticed the PT session just sounded better and Studio One didn't have sample-accurate editing, so we switched back to HDX (PT Native didn't seem to sound as good). Not trying to convince anyone and i'm not a fanboy, but i'll say that all our A-list engineer friends are on PT, the main reason being SMPTE implementation, editing, and the fact that they've been on it for years.

No doubt, as computers get more powerful the dependence on HDX will continue lessen, but the top people i know are still on PT. Music creators that don't do film may prefer whichever DAW for whatever reasons, but if they do work for hire, they at least have one PT rig laying around.

Having said that, as computers get faster HDX becomes less relevant. That's a fact.
Have you compared the sound of PT with Native card vs HDX? I've heard some people say that in comparison to general native, HDX sounds better. I'm wondering if it's the mixer working from DSP, or the linkage to the converters (in which cases the Native card should sound like HDX)
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1964
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➡️
Have you compared the sound of PT with Native card vs HDX? I've heard some people say that in comparison to general native, HDX sounds better. I'm wondering if it's the mixer working from DSP, or the linkage to the converters (in which cases the Native card should sound like HDX)
Yes, we've compared Native vs HDX and to us HDX does sound better. Have no idea why, but that's our impression.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1965
Lives for gear
 
Airon's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
What is going to happen to application support if Pro Tools gets sold, and thus all the film folks working with it ? That‘s worrying.

I keep PT around for compatibility‘s sake, but would bugs continue to be fixed if the app changes owners ?

Or would it go the Resolve route, free + advanced feature version ?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #1966
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airon ➡️
What is going to happen to application support if Pro Tools gets sold, and thus all the film folks working with it ? That‘s worrying.

I keep PT around for compatibility‘s sake, but would bugs continue to be fixed if the app changes owners ?

Or would it go the Resolve route, free + advanced feature version ?


I wouldn't worry about it. This thread started almost 10 years ago, and there have been rumors of AVID's demise going back almost 20 years - and guess what? They're still kicking. Some say stronger than 10 years ago.... Go figure. The AVID has 9+ lives.....
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump