Quantcast
Pensado's Place Sucks! - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pensado's Place Sucks!
Old 24th February 2013 | Show parent
  #91
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Oh man, it took me awhile but I figured out who Dave reminds me of. The Dude from "The Big Lebowski".
1
Share
Old 4th October 2013
  #92
Lives for gear
 
Stevil's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz ➡️
Am i the only one who thinks Pensado Place is cheesy as hell?
while i dont find the hosts or their banter interesting i think they get some great guests on, usually get a great discussion going & coax some unique insights out of them.
Old 5th October 2013 | Show parent
  #93
Lives for gear
 
Joe Haze's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I find the interviews interesting, my only objection to the show is they interview the same guest multiple times, but would never interview us mortals.
Some of us do great work, we just don't have 10 Grammy's... The show seems to contribute to the "Fullsnail" (rock star engineer) vibe.

Hell interview Bob Katz , I know the "children" would get bored hearing about actual audio (math/science)...
Old 5th October 2013
  #94
I love Pensado because he loves music, he talks music and he is like hanging around with a friend. Stoned some times, sometimes boring but a friend that you admire and you have so much in common.

I like him more Recording revolution and all this e-tutors because I prefer a casual conversation among pros about feeling, taste and attitude that to learn the "right" ratio of the compressor here or the frequency that I should cut there.

Its more inspiring, what can I say!

If you want to learn tips go elsewhere, if you want to fall in love with this profession keep watching Pensado!
2
Share
Old 5th October 2013
  #95
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Yeah, the show is great for the guest interviews. Certain guests anyway. It depends what you're into. I usually seek out the old school rock type engineers as that is what I love. The ITL's are eh.

Dave and Herbs banter is pretty terrible. Herb in particular, I wish he would talk less.
1
Share
Old 5th October 2013 | Show parent
  #96
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcnelis ➡️
Dave and Herbs banter is pretty terrible. Herb in particular, I wish he would talk less.
yeah, good show, but Dave needs to hone his interviewing skills. You're really not suppose to go off about yourself when interviewing someone else. Bad form. He does that a lot.

A bit of focused pre-production would solve it. I get the feeling they do none at all besides booking the guest and firing up the cameras. Then they just let the show fly random. Even the best (Charlie Rose?) can't do that and make it work.
1
Share
Old 5th October 2013
  #97
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli ➡️
If you think it can be done better, then go do it better, or button it?

I think so far as ITL, there are very few techniques that are revolutionary. Yes its simple stuff, but mixing is the sum of many small movements. And having the experience to know when to use them all, and apply them, that makes them so good.

I don't spend much time on iTL but the interviews are great, an Dave is a true gentleman, and great ambassador for the industry. The music isn't my cup of tea, but it seems to represent a current main stream trend, which does rely on high production value. So no harm there either I think.

So no PP does not suck in the slightest, only this thread, should they come across it, as I for one would offer nothing but support and gratitude for what they are doing.
Well put!
2
Share
Old 5th October 2013 | Show parent
  #98
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli ➡️
If you think it can be done better, then go do it better, or button it?
Actually, I'm 100% positive that I could produce a more focused and interesting interview show The show is quite poorly produced in regard to content, with obvious production planning gaps at every turn. There is never a clearly defined process message delivered. It feels random because it is.

Problem is, I don't have the music production creds to make it fly. No substantial guests would accept my invitations. Nobody would watch. So, even though I could produce a higher quality program from a production POV, the effort would be moot.

Even with that, he does an OK job for off the cuff, because his guests generally have a lot to say, and they even get some of it out occasionally because he does ask some great questions. No big slam on Pensado. This isn't his day gig. An extra activity for him. I'm a fan.
2
Share
Old 5th October 2013 | Show parent
  #99
Deleted User
Guest
Pensado's Place is FREE. What's there not to like about FREE? And it gives lots of good information. If you don't like it, then don't watch. Whiners tend to complain about what is given to them FREE.
1
Share
Old 5th October 2013 | Show parent
  #100
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli ➡️
So no pp does not suck in the slightest, only this thread, should they come across it, as i for one would offer nothing but support and gratitude for what they are doing.
Exactly. PP does a great job. And it's FREE. Why complain.
Old 5th October 2013 | Show parent
  #101
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case ➡️
Pensado's Place is FREE. What's there not to like about FREE? And it gives lots of good information. If you don't like it, then don't watch. Whiners tend to complain about what is given to them FREE.
It is what it is. It's free, it's generally an entertaining show with much good info... and it could be much more professionally presented with a small amount of work. The thread is, "Pensado's Place Sucks!" and IMO, that kind of statement should be answered with balanced and honest discussion.

Answering, "if you think it sucks, then you suck," offers no more insight than a blanket statement that the show sucks.
1
Share
Old 5th October 2013 | Show parent
  #102
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
The thread is, "Pensado's Place Sucks!" and IMO, that kind of statement should be answered with balanced and honest discussion.
I would say that statement should not be answered AT ALL on this forum.

It potentially is in violation of GS rules:

7. We do not permit “producer or engineer so-and-so sucks” type threads. “Slagging off” others in the industry, especially established veterans is forbidden. In addition, you are not permitted to “bash” (comment negatively) about any artist, producer, engineer, genre or musical style. We take a zero-tolerance stance on this. You may discuss music, positively and (politely) negatively in the ‘All About The Music’ subforum, but ‘name-calling’ others in the industry is not allowed.
Old 5th October 2013 | Show parent
  #103
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case ➡️
I would say that statement should not be answered AT ALL on this forum.

It potentially is in violation of GS rules:

7. We do not permit “producer or engineer so-and-so sucks” type threads. “Slagging off” others in the industry, especially established veterans is forbidden. In addition, you are not permitted to “bash” (comment negatively) about any artist, producer, engineer, genre or musical style. We take a zero-tolerance stance on this. You may discuss music, positively and (politely) negatively in the ‘All About The Music’ subforum, but ‘name-calling’ others in the industry is not allowed.
Agree that writing "Pensado's Place Sucks," is trollish, off base and totally rude internet behavior. Some people are simply incapable of considering and offering up intelligent, constructive criticism. They just blindly and stupidly attack.

Apparently, GS does not take a zero tolerance stance, though. This sucker is 4 pages long, and quite old. Possibly, the mods thought is was in the best interest to let it vent and see what develops, since nobody's criticizing Pensado's mixing abilities. Just suggesting that if he were a more accomplished interviewer, this little side project of his might be even more informative and professional than it already is.
1
Share
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
  #104
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
Agree that writing "Pensado's Place Sucks," is trollish, off base and totally rude internet behavior. Some people are simply incapable of considering and offering up intelligent, constructive criticism. They just blindly and stupidly attack.

Apparently, GS does not take a zero tolerance stance, though. This sucker is 4 pages long, and quite old. Possibly, the mods thought is was in the best interest to let it vent and see what develops, since nobody's criticizing Pensado's mixing abilities. Just suggesting that if he were a more accomplished interviewer, this little side project of his might be even more informative and professional than it already is.
+1, for my part at least.

The thread title is provocative yes, but it's the product that's being commented on - no one is bashing mr P or his abilities. If we remove all criticism from the board, that doesn't exactly make for free speech does it?

I agree with the viewpoint that it's kind of above criticism in one way - in that its free, if you don't like then don't watch. I also agree that constructive criticism isn't unwarranted - if someone says why they don't like it, then that's all well and good too. Just saying "it's rubbish" (which no one has actually done, not even the post starter) says more about the critic than the product.

Personally - I've not watched more than a couple of episodes. I found the "in the lair" tips useful, but a lot of the shows seem to be banter driven...which is all well and good, but it wasn't why i was watching, and I found myself getting bored and fast forwarding through. But that's just a personal opinion, and I thoroughly support the ethos behind the show.

So no - whilst the title of the thread could be a bit less blunt, I don't think the content is a problem.
1
Share
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
  #105
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
and it could be much more professionally presented with a small amount of work.
So, Dave's free product for you could be more enjoyable if he worked a little harder on it, for free? Come on maaaaaaan
1
Share
Old 6th October 2013
  #106
Gear Guru
 
Thomas W. Bethe's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I keep watching hoping that the Dave will just shut up after asking a question and let the interviewee have their say but no he just keeps on interrupting and breaking his guests train of thought.

He has to be one of the worst interviewers on the internet and never seems to learn from his mistakes. He seems to be so caught up with what he is saying he never listens to what others are saying and that is NOT a good interview technique.

I would have to say from watching him he is very insecure and wants to be the know it all tell it all person and cannot let go because he is also a control freak.

I finally stopped watching because I cannot stand his method of interviewing. It is too bad because he has some very interesting guest on the show.
3
Share
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
I keep watching hoping that the Dave will just shut up after asking a question and let the interviewee have their say but no he just keeps on interrupting and breaking his guests train of thought.

He has to be one of the worst interviewers on the internet and never seems to learn from his mistakes. He seems to be so caught up with what he is saying he never listens to what others are saying and that is NOT a good interview technique.

I would have to say from watching him he is very insecure and wants to be the know it all tell it all person and cannot let go because he is also a control freak.

I finally stopped watching because I cannot stand his method of interviewing. It is too bad because he has some very interesting guest on the show.
You are not alone.
1
Share
Old 6th October 2013
  #108
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Well, to be fair, his primary craft is music making/enhancing, not journalism.

Yeah, with some interviews I'd have preferred a bit more response from the interviewee, but sure without Dave, you'd never get the interview in the first place!

For me, PP is a great show, with great tips that have helped me in the past and they offer newer ways of thinking about things without costing the viewer a dime!

Someone mentioned in the first few posts that he "never gets much done" in his tips. This sounds to me like someone that was expecting a "magic bullet" video of where Dave shows you one tip and suddenly your mixes sound amazing.
A great mix is the result of good source material and a countless number of little steps. Mixing is all about this little steps...on their own they're not so dazzling....but on the whole they are game changing!

Live on, PP! :-)
2
Share
Old 6th October 2013
  #109
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I enjoy watching it now and then, especially when one of my heros are interviewed. Much appreciated!

The ITL episodes doesn't provide me with much new information and in an educational view they are rather fragmented and not shedding perspective on the whole mixing process. But they are free so who am I to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
I keep watching hoping that the Dave will just shut up after asking a question and let the interviewee have their say but no he just keeps on interrupting and breaking his guests train of thought.
Yes, this really bugs me as well. Interrupting Mr Rupert Neve when he's about to share his honest thoughts about digital audio - whoo, that's blasphemy in my holy book of audio engineering.
But Dave gets away with it by just being the super decent southern guy that he his. I can't help but love his almost punch drunk southern accent and his larger than life but still humble appearance. :-)

And he is sharing his wealth of knowledge and friends with all of us, for free. Just embrace it!


Keep up the good work

Fred
Sound On Sound contributor
1
Share
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
  #110
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x ➡️
So, Dave's free product for you could be more enjoyable if he worked a little harder on it, for free? Come on maaaaaaan
Yeah You've cracked my code!!

Gearslutz is as free as Pensado's place, and you're here complaining about my post. It's free man!! Just read and enjoy!!

But seriously, I'm quite amazed at the level of hair raised on some people's backs because someone suggests that... for instance, when you tape a tutorial, maybe you could clip on a lav mic? How hard is that?

It's like you guys think Dave's going to come over to your house for tea and thank you for defending his honor. Newsflash. He doesn't need your protection, although he could use a few professional TV production tips.heh

You guys crack me up
2
Share
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
  #111
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
LOL! touche, Kennybro, touche

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
Yeah You've cracked my code!!

Gearslutz is as free as Pensado's place, and you're here complaining about my post. It's free man!! Just read and enjoy!!

But seriously, I'm quite amazed at the level of hair raised on some people's backs because someone suggests that... for instance, when you tape a tutorial, maybe you could clip on a lav mic? How hard is that?

It's like you guys think Dave's going to come over to your house for tea and thank you for defending his honor. Newsflash. He doesn't need your protection, although he could use a few professional TV production tips.

You guys crack me up
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
  #112
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Dave Pensado has been SO giving over the years, all the great sounding advice that helps musical talent overcome the limitations of our playing medium(s).
Advice he gave one article was the first big step in my recording satisfaction in 30 years of 'running a recorder'.

By comparison my University professors shouldn't get a dime for the waste of years doing everything a-backwards.

In conclusion, I'd probably give my eye teeth to have 12-pack of Sam Adams with him, maybe raid the refrigerator.

I'd say Grace before consumption, promise!
2
Share
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
  #113
Gear Guru
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Haze ➡️
I find the interviews interesting, my only objection to the show is they interview the same guest multiple times...
do they have the guy "back" at a different time? Or is it possible that they film one long session with him and then cut it up into multiple segments? I guess you could look to see if they are wearing the same clothes....
Old 6th October 2013
  #114
Lives for gear
 
Arichlsss's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Herb probably started this thread to generate more buzz.

Love Pensado's place BTW

Dave though, please don't ask the guest a question by stating what you think the guest's stance on a subject is then ask them if they agree with you.
Old 8th October 2013
  #115
Lives for gear
 
scruffydog's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Pensado's place is free still..and the guys are funny as hell and very real...what is there to moan about?
really...
Old 8th October 2013 | Show parent
  #116
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x ➡️
LOL! touche, Kennybro, touche

It is entertaining at times, a lot of good info, and yeah, he seems like a really OK guy. Laid back. I'm just moaning, because this is the moan zone.
Old 8th October 2013 | Show parent
  #117
Gear Maniac
 
Brian R's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss ➡️
Herb probably started this thread to generate more buzz

wondered when somebody would drag Herb into this
Old 8th October 2013 | Show parent
  #118
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
I am patiently awaiting the Kennybro show.
I hear it's going to be amazing.

I wonder what's taking so long?
Old 8th October 2013 | Show parent
  #119
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 ➡️
I am patiently awaiting the Kennybro show.
I hear it's going to be amazing.

I wonder what's taking so long?
the kennybro show (That's got a nice ring, no?) was filmed in '80, released in '83, the fat lady sang and that was that. Fortunately for all of us, I know which side of the camera to stay on these days.
Old 8th October 2013
  #120
Here for the gear
 
GanaMana's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
In the same vein, no one is forcing you to comment in this thread either.
1
Share
Closed
Topic:

Forum Jump
Forum Jump