Quantcast
Pensado's Place Sucks! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pensado's Place Sucks!
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been meaning to watch the series for a while. I have it bookmarked now. Kudos to Dave for offering all this for free. As someone else said, if you don't like it, change the channel. Maybe it don't appeal just now, maybe it will later
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I see where you're coming from.

I always wonder why a man of such obvious talent with a great ear and easy going personality isn't working with more interesting and talented artists?

I have enjoyed some of the episodes, but all of the music sounds HORRENDOUS!

Super cheese corporate LA "rock" or NY "dance" music.

I do find bits I can use in his shows however, got to give the dude credit for sharing knowledge!

-Neil
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSimpkins ➑️
The interviews are great. His interviews cover a pretty vast array of musical styles and experience. All these people are giving it to you for free.
I am the same way, I really watch for the interviews. I mostly tune in to see how each engineer THINKS and not their latest trick. Because tricks come and go but truly understanding sound and mixing will last forever.

Also even though dave shows some of his techniques, I think he started the show trying to explain the philosophy behind mixing as is obvious in his conveyed thoughts.

Great Guy, Great Show. Thumbs up!
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x ➑️
Hehe... fair play, to be honest that's exactly what i thought when i heard JJP "interviewing" dave... Michael Brauer has some great words about ego and music production somewhere (pure realism / pragmatism as you'd expect from MB), funny old world...

I dont think it's ego that leads Dave off-topic / leads him to lack focus for what it's worth.... this is basement TV, waynes world, but even more so - from a brilliant successful guy who does TV on the side. For that, pure props. Never seen so much normality and humanity from a successful industry king (let alone in a free-view youtube tut)
JJP interview..if you can call it that. Studio's are closing all over big budgets are going and all of these guys are trying to find new roads for revenue. He aint doing the show for free..it started as a pay per view show. Dave is a nice guy I'm not knocking him personally... he's just not good at conducting interviews.

off topic the JJP House off Rock is very weird to me. I did some google searches on it. I think it 's a big non profit money dump for all the companies listed in the credits. They supply the gear and get a tax right off.
It just doesn't make since to build that studio in to a property that has been on the market for so long and have it be a positive selling point. Plus 500 series racks on the cealing...Really??
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinforit ➑️
JJP interview..if you can call it that. Studio's are closing all over big budgets are going and all of these guys are trying to find new roads for revenue. He aint doing the show for free..it started as a pay per view show.
Yep. Just like the Mix With The Masters seminars and other spin offs do you REALLY think top industry professionals would be giving away their secrets if the ship wasn't sinking? It's really sad to see the music industry dying the way it is.

All you have to do is look at Full Sail University's public financial student loan statements to see where the real money is! I feel so bad for those suckers attending those schools...wasting all that time and money because they don't look at the industry beforehand. And those same music engineering students are probably stealing music!
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogBrain ➑️
I have enjoyed some of the episodes, but all of the music sounds HORRENDOUS!

Super cheese corporate LA "rock" or NY "dance" music.
What about the cooki-cutter formula, creatively dead rap and hip hop? It just doesn't get any more boring than that! Rap/hip-hop died in 1999.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Is it really that bad?

I have never seen the show, but it certainly sounds better than any other show doing the same subject, because I don't think there are any.

As long as the people are discussing gear and techniques, I think it's a lot to ask that it also be demonstrated using music I think is cool.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
[for clarity, this post is sarcasm. Maybe this is a london thing but i was hoping that certain references would make that clear. I dont really think Dave's going to outsource the show to chinese interns and provide them with just an iphone, while running off to Diddy's yacht.]

Well, this thread's actually changed my mind. I've rewatched a couple of episodes of ITL, like this one on creating realistic vocal doubles and this one on four ways to widen tracks.... i never saw it before, but Dave is pouring scorn on the young producers who watch... teaching people silly novelties like the haas effect and not to use any plugin compressor too heavily, all with that snide, glib manner of his, sooooo obvious he thinks he's king of the world, and we're all just schmucks.

I expect he's trying to get all those yunguns hooked before he asks for their credit card details, at which point he'll outsource the show to chinese interns, give them in iphone to film it on, and then take the rest of his enormous budget off to diddy's yaght for margaritas and a game of twister.

The industry sucks, and as soon as these kids realise they'd be better off chasing their dreams in an industry where jobs in the US are plentiful, like academia, law or print media, say, the better. Dave isnt just part of the industry, he's pied-piper-in-chief and it disgusts me to the point of drinking whiskey all night.

Anyone know his thoughts on analogue summing?
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
haters gonna hate.
Thanks Dave and Herb for a great show. I watch it every week and always take away something valuable.
Some of you people need to get some fresh air and clear out your nasty.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

GJ999x, are you being sarcastic? I watched those clips and don't hear any scorn or snide/glib attitude at all. You'd have to be a pretty delicate butterfly to take insult from those.

At first I wasn't a big fan of the show but it really grew on me. I do have similar gripes- the pace of the show and interrupting the interviewees is a little annoying, but beggars can't be choosers. Like another poster said, I don't watch it for the "tricks"- I like hearing how these guys approach their mix. I've been lucky enough to work with some talented engineers and they're usually not reinventing the wheel- they're using standard tricks that everyone else uses, they just tend to have excellent judgement when it comes to dialing things custom for the song at hand.

Seriously, thanks a lot to the Pensado's place team for all the work you do.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE ➑️
GJ999x, are you being sarcastic?
Definitely sarcastic, it's a great show no idea what people are getting at here.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x ➑️
Definitely sarcastic, it's a great show no idea what people are getting at here.
I was getting a little worried there! It's amazing that people are complaining about a free show that features interviews with top name engineers. Even if the ulterior motive is to pimp products or his own name Dave and crew give a lot of good solid advice in each episode.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Who cares what the motivation is or whether he makes money out of it or what sort of music is played in the ITLs or what the state of the union is?

Pensado's Place could have been "Larry King's Place" but how would Larry King know which questions to ask about audio? Dave Pensado is a mixer, not a journalist. The show is not presented as perfect so we shouldn't expect it to be.

But back to the OP's closing question - Dave himself has said numerous times if you copy someone you'll always come off second best. His philosophies can be applied across the board, no one technique belongs to a particular genre of music.

Any professional knows that even within the same genre the same result can't be achieved, for example, on different singers, without using varying techniques for each different vocal. Learning the techniques used in the genres you dislike might actually help you in the future, it certainly has helped me.

I find Dave Pensado really personable, humble and knowledgable and have learned a lot from his show....and for thinking of another way to make money in the music industry is say that's pretty smart too
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So, to summarize from all of us who are watching threads like this with popcorn in hand...

Pensado's place sucks...

And in other news:
The U87 microphone sucks
The Avalon 737sp channel strip sucks
The UA 2-LA2 and 2-1176 both suck
Pro Tools HD sucks.
etc

I use all the above and not one of these things suck. People who write that sh1te really suck. LOL
Old 2nd February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
As a "rock" dude, I really enjoyed the joe barresi interviews, as well as the jjp, mike shipley, and that one longhair who did the red hot chilli peppers stuff. Got a lot of solid ideas for new tricks and whatnot. Just gotta wade through some crap to get there.

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Gearslutz App
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Pensados Place rocks. Too much hate on GS.

Instead of all the 'it sucks for this' or 'it sucks for that' why not just take it, appreciate it or leave it as it is?

I'm thankful and have learned things from every episode.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The nightclub fire sucks. The guy shooing up a school sucks. Savings account interest rates suck. The war sucks.

Pensados place does not suck. The term does not even apply.
Old 3rd February 2013
TSJ
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Great show. Have learned a lot from it. It's free. I like seeing the tools the big guys are using.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➑️
The nightclub fire sucks. The guy shooing up a school sucks. Savings account interest rates suck. The war sucks.

Pensados place does not suck. The term does not even apply.
A vacuum cleaner sucks. I really like the looks of those new Dyson models. Anyone have a recommendation for a good studio vacuum? You know, when something sucks, you have the perfect scapegoat.
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

How to come across as an idiot: start a thread like this about a man who has infinitely more knowledge and experience than yourself, and who also happens to be a nice guy offering a free service.

How old are you?
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➑️
How to come across as an idiot: start a thread like this about a man who has infinitely more knowledge and experience than yourself, and who also happens to be a nice guy offering a free service.

How old are you?
What he said.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Gearslutz App
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thought most of the guests are great. Top class. tom elmhirst, Bob power, Joe Barresi, really liked these episodes. Where else can I hear what people who worked on some of my favorite records have to say?
I would like steve albini or burial as much as the next guy but this ain't happening.
All in all, it's a great thing but I couldn't understand why everybody was crying in that special 100 episode.?
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➑️
A vacuum cleaner sucks. I really like the looks of those new Dyson models. Anyone have a recommendation for a good studio vacuum? You know, when something sucks, you have the perfect scapegoat.
The Hoover Tempo Widepath really sucks. At a great price. Good attachments and lots of power. Not a bagless, though.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To the OP:
I think the issue here is we need to distinguish between the two types of music that get made.

On the one hand, you have a band or artist that is writing and recording their music because it's first and foremost a personal artistic need. If it sells copies, fine, great.

Then you have the folks who are making music primarily for the purpose of achieving wealth and fame by targeting their product to teenagers. In order for your Teenager Music to be given commercial consideration, it must sound like other contemporary Teenager Music. For this purpose, you must hire a mixer, whose specialty is slapping on the sheen of 'Radio Readiness'.

Dave's show is a show for aspiring mixers. These Sheen Slappers. There is certainly plenty of overlap between what a recording engineer does and what a mixer does. So the confusion is quite understandable.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
To the OP:
I think the issue here is we need to distinguish between the two types of music that get made.
I just watched the "doubling" episode linked to above.

the music used in the episode is not the type of music I ever record, but I have used each and every one of the doubling techniques he mentioned in other styles of music

anybody who thinks the musical style is the controlling factor in recording engineering is in the wrong business, IMO.

it's like getting a job as baker because you like to eat cake
Old 4th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The title of the thread is Pensado's Place Sucks! I don't agree with the term suck. I decided to post here because I come across advertisements for the show all the time(v9 of waves plugins have Pensado presets!!!!). Because it is free doesn't make it free from criticism!! Tape Op is free and there interviews are top notch. Hell the first few pages of the mag. are all about criticizing..Joe Barresi is a great engineer producer & mix engineer (new soundgarden!!) The interview was ok. But I definitely didn't get the impression that Dave has listened to a complete record Joe has produced or mixed. Speaking of Tape Op a few years back they did an interview with the women from Sky Walker Sound. Tape Ops interview was all I could think of while watching that episode and how different an interview it could have been if Dave took the time to do some research instead of real-lying on the fact that he's been in the industry for so long.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm new to mixing and self-taught.
For people like me, regardless of musical genre, everything I've learnt from Dave and the guests can be applied in some way or another to what I do.

If the OP thinks he can contribute something more than Pensado's Place has, then I encourage him to do so instead of criticizing something he refuses to make a positive contribution to.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Man, some people are know-it-all bitchers. Unbelievable. It's a free show no one is required to watch. I can't believe there are very many people who could watch the episodes and not learn something. I also doubt any of you complainers would ever get the motivation to do a show of your own. So he's mixing a song you don't care for. so what? Watch a few and you'll see he covers a lot of bases. Tell me why you deserve more respect than Pensado and then shut the hell up.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Dave is one of the nicest, most gracious guys I have encountered in this industry. He always has great guests, which is a testament to his reputation among his peers. I think he deserves major kudos for doing the show and being so transparent with his ideas. He also knows his audience, and demonstrates techniques with tools that most studios can actually afford. It's a shame to get caught up on the tunes, there is such great perspective from very talented people on that show.
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I don't care if it's good, it doesn't matter, new is all that counts...
Closed
Topic: