Quantcast
Can't produce anything of quality anymore - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can't produce anything of quality anymore
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can't produce anything of quality anymore

I hate this thing I'm going through, basically whatever I do sounds crap. It's the technical side that is the problem, not the creative one. I have a zillion melodies ready to be turned into songs, I have tons of ideas but I can't transform them into anything.

Nothing sounds the way I want right now, it's really frustrating…

Kick doesn't work, bassline doesn't work, this doesn't work, that doesn't work.

I listened to some tracks of mine that I've done in the past few years, and I was just wondering "How the hell did I do that?" They sound fantastic to what I do these days.

Any tips?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're anything like me...are you over-analyzing? Out of the little bit of creation I do...sometimes the best is when I just "do". I have a really bad habit of letting all my theory and analysis background come flooding in and over thinking things.

"How is that note working in this chord?? which way should I change to the next chord....hmmm..no...too simple...etc. etc..

sometimes I force myself to just PLAY and wander around melodies and chords aimlessly until I hear something cool. Think about it later.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
You can have someone else mix your project. Someone who you trust that has experience mixing the style of music you're creating
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat ➡️
I hate this thing I'm going through, basically whatever I do sounds crap. It's the technical side that is the problem, not the creative one. I have a zillion melodies ready to be turned into songs, I have tons of ideas but I can't transform them into anything.

Nothing sounds the way I want right now, it's really frustrating…

Kick doesn't work, bassline doesn't work, this doesn't work, that doesn't work.

I listened to some tracks of mine that I've done in the past few years, and I was just wondering "How the hell did I do that?" They sound fantastic to what I do these days.

Any tips?
My best bet is let the pros mix it for you.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Go do something in nature for a while.

Get out of the studio and breathe.

then start a track backwards. if you usually start with a melody, start with the drums. forget the sound till later. just focus on what you never focus on.

or call a better dealer... HAHAHA JK. Drugs are bad.

Up with hope and down with the dope!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been there many times. What I usually do is just keep doing it, trying different ways (if you use mostly software instruments, try sampling some "real" sounds etc) and then when I least expect it, something sounds good again.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sound selection? Ear fatigue? Lack of decent interface/speakers? Aggravated with things outside of producing that's having a negative impact on the usual dopamine release from making music?

Who knows man, an example of some of your work would help.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Same problem here...lots of reasons why. Mainly you need to back off the blade of grass you are staring at and see the whole pasture.

I track my own music any chance I get, and non-stop for a few years now. Got into a groove, and walked away from past projects.

What IS helping me is going back to my mixdowns with the M.E. hat on. Been 3 weeks now of only practice/mastering/listening...no tracking period.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I took an hour today listening to some old ideas. Out of maybe thirty I found a couple of good ones that I'd forgotten about. Always rewarding, feels like I get them "for free".
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…