Quantcast
Most people do not listen to entire albums - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Most people do not listen to entire albums
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is just a funny observation of other people's listening habits.

My iPod classic was stolen out of my truck on Easter weekend. So I purchased another used one on eBay.

When it came in the mail, it still had the previous owner's content on it. I would say the girl who owned it before me had some pretty decent albums on there, but when I looked deeper and selected an album, she would only have 1-2 tracks of each album.. the 'Radio Singles'.

I deleted and replaced all of her content with mine from my iTunes.

I noticed last week while I was going for a run, that none of my albums would play the songs in order..

This morning while in the gym, I thought that everything sounded super muddy and too much bass etc.

So I went into the settings and she had the EQ set to 'Dance Music' and the iPod was set to permanent 'Shuffle' mode..

Just a funny observation.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Growing up in the 50s and 60s and offended by the low fidelity of most singles of the era, I bought mostly albums once I'd got out of grade school.

(By that time, I'd decided my fellow teenagers and the music they listened to was pathetically lame, so singles weren't really much of a thing to me, anyhow, by then. I wouldn't start buying them again until the second half of the 70s when the punk revolution was kicking in and the bands I liked couldn't get signed and couldn't afford anything more than the occasional single at the time.)

But I also got my first tape recorder in 5th grade (and immediately began dreaming of owning a better one -- one, maybe, that even had a capstan! ) and a few years later, a better recorder that could actually capture music without too great a pain. From then on, I found myself constantly creating 'mix tapes' of my faves, then recording over them a few weeks or months later as my passions shifted. (Some tapes with really good sequences of tracks got saved longer or even for the duration.)

I like to get familiar with an album by listening in sequence -- but, to be honest, a lot of folks just don't seem to put the same effort into sequencing their albums these days. Sometimes they don't even get the levels in the same ballpark!

In general, I have no regrets about moving to playing personalized (generally ad hoc) mixes of tracks. Even when I create playlists these days in my streamer, I often as not play them back in shuffle mode and frequently mix in other playlists as well. A lot of my playlists are somewhat genre-oriented, so if, say, I want to hear a mix of roots folk and some country blues, I can pull throw a couple of playlists together and come up with an easy mix. That said, I usually prefer to keep things mixed up, I'm more likely to just create a mix on the fly, throwing a few albums into the queue while it's in shuffle mode, maybe adding new albums or selections of tracks as I my mood changes as I listen.
Old 11th April 2018
Deleted e9fb380
"Most people" have ****ty taste and always have, so if you care about what most people's listening habits are and limit yourself correspondingly you'll always be frustrated and upset. The idea that "most people" listened to albums all the way through in the past is nonsense--they listened to the radio and bought greatest hits albums, the same as they mostly do today. That's why albums stacked with hits always sold better--the unwashed masses will always prefer a familiar song.

Me, I listen to what I like, how I like, and what you or anyone else does doesn't bother me. Doowhatchalike, as someone once said.
Old 11th April 2018 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoehler ➡️
"Most people" have ****ty taste and always have, so if you care about what most people's listening habits are and limit yourself correspondingly you'll always be frustrated and upset. The idea that "most people" listened to albums all the way through in the past is nonsense--they listened to the radio and bought greatest hits albums, the same as they mostly do today. That's why albums stacked with hits always sold better--the unwashed masses will always prefer a familiar song.

Me, I listen to what I like, how I like, and what you or anyone else does doesn't bother me. Doowhatchalike, as someone once said.
I up-thumbed this but I think it could use one more...

[I want to stipulate that, of course, '****ty taste' is subjective. That said, in my darker moments, I've certainly muttered the same. ]
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
When LP records were first introduced, it gave more freedom (mostly to the "classical" crowd) to record longer pieces.

Later, the technology was impugned by some as being "bad for music" (because some conductors would speed up the tempo and/or edit the scores when recording long pieces, in order to fit them on a side).

Eventually, musicians and composers began to actually write and work specifically for the medium.

It became a musical FORM, almost like a "symphony", a "suite", or an "etude".

The thing I really miss about vinyl LPs is the idea of there being two sides.

(There was something very cool about there being two ways to start the same record.)

CDs ruined the concept of "side two".

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 ➡️
When LP records were first introduced, it gave more freedom (mostly to the "classical" crowd) to record longer pieces.

Later, the technology was impugned by some as being "bad for music" (because some conductors would speed up the tempo and/or edit the scores when recording long pieces, in order to fit them on a side).

Eventually, musicians and composers began to actually write and work specifically for the medium.

It became a musical FORM, almost like a "symphony", a "suite", or an "etude".

The thing I really miss about vinyl LPs is the idea of there being two sides.

(There was something very cool about there being two ways to start the same record.)

CDs ruined the concept of "side two".

Boy, you got THAT straight!

I love the sound that CDs are capable of providing... but I really do miss the 'two act play' aspect of many well-designed (or even just oft-listened to and loved) albums.

That and cover art designed for the 12" format, I really miss. And now that the bouncing ball has moved on to streaming, I'm really missing liner notes and credits! (But at least some streamers allow a big, clean display of cover art.)
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
There are few albums from last decades which I would love to listen entirely because of well composed music, but I cannot due to fatiguing over-compression. I get physically tired on 4th-5th song.
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️
Boy, you got THAT straight!

I love the sound that CDs are capable of providing... but I really do miss the 'two act play' aspect of many well-designed (or even just oft-listened to and loved) albums.

That and cover art designed for the 12" format, I really miss. And now that the bouncing ball has moved on to streaming, I'm really missing liner notes and credits! (But at least some streamers allow a big, clean display of cover art.)
Yeah, I getcha on that.

...And its really kinda funny that the whole thing came about merely as a result of "form following function":

When the phonograph cylinder was superseded by the disc, it became pretty clear that there was gonna be a "side two" (whether you put anything on it or not).

It is not unlike what happened with the proliferation of the printing press.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…