Quantcast
why apple sucks today - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
why apple sucks today
Old 23rd September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
nott's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
why apple sucks today

what´s wrong with apple.
what about the pro stuff like final cut, logic, mac pro with thunderbolt connections??
what about a stable and simple os for our daily work!!
who needs that kiddy stuff??

are you gearslutzs happy about the situation now???
Old 23rd September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Well, from Apples´perspective, there is nothing wrong with them, they are now the most wealthy company in the world..Not sure if they longer need to be so present in the "pro" area, although it gives good publicity if Black Eyed Peas says they made their last smash hit with Logic. I´m using Logic and Mac Pro, and that gives me all I need and more. Hopefully they continue with the pro stuff, if not, just move on..
Old 23rd September 2012
  #3
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
All the other companies' boards of directors are telling them to be more like Apple. From Microsoft to Google, anyone who can is adopting more of the Apple strategy of ever-greater vertical integration and customer lock-in.

Apple has produced enormous profits by doing what it is doing.

It's highly unlikely that they will change course as long as that continues.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #4
Gear Nut
 
maddog's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
If you don't like apple then don't use them, go pc they have thunderbolt now, usb3 and everything you ever wanted in Mac pro. Nobody has a gun to your head. But you are going to say your a Mac user because of the superior os right?
Old 23rd September 2012
  #5
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The trouble is, there is no real alternative. To me, Windows 8 looks even more like kiddy stuff. Those "live tiles"? Puhlease.

Anyway. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nott ➡️
what´s wrong with apple.
what about the pro stuff like final cut, logic, mac pro with thunderbolt connections??
what about a stable and simple os for our daily work!!
who needs that kiddy stuff??

are you gearslutzs happy about the situation now???
12 core & sata/ ata drives, what exactly does thunderbolt bring to that equation that is so vital you can't survive without it?
when the new mac pro's comes out i'll wait, and i suspect many will, for another 6 - 12 months before upgrading.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Apple's vision has never changed. They want to control every aspect of your computing experience, and they want to own all the pieces/parts to make that happen in house. Been that way since Day One, when they sealed their computers so that you could not work on them, and the same Teac floppy drive was $79 for a PC and $379 for a Mac, because of the connector difference on the back of the drive. The iPod and iPhone have helped to move that vision into the whole of mainstream life. Their marketing is brilliant, and their products are Teflon... no matter what is wrong with any of them, or no matter how someone else may do it better/cheaper or whatever, the public equates Apple with being the superior product, worth a premium price. I'd call that a success story.

Personally, I believe that tools is tools, and I try to use the tool that does what I need it to do best, not because of any name that might be associated with the product. I don't own an iPod or iPhone, I have other choices that work better for me. The software that I happen to run runs better or only on PCs. Were I doing other work with software that worked better on a Mac, I'd be using a Mac. Where there is no difference in how a software performs under either platform, since I own a pile of PCs, why would I buy a Mac?

If you don't like the choice that you've made, it is easy enough to change. I really don't understand the whole debate, because I spend my time in applications, rarely needing to piss around in the OS and not finding much difference in the end result, other than it is easier for me to find my way around the PC OS because I am more familiar with it. (shrug...)
Old 23rd September 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
nuthinupmysleeve's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
My i5 iMac 27" works pretty damn well. I don't have a need for anything else for my music.

For work, I do corporate video and the latest iMacs and macbook pros are plenty fast for video editing in a fast paced corporate environment.

I suspect the era of the tower is over. Computers have just gotten to damn fast. Only fringe users will need more power than in i7 macbook pro or an i7 iMac, and it's hard to justify the development expense for those users. Those users, IMHO, will invariably move to windows PCs. I don't see any other way.

Luckily my video editing software is cross platform, so it's really not a problem at all.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #9
Gear Guru
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What's really funny is that the whole locked architecture, vertical integration, and premium pricing thing that they are doing now is what destroyed them the first time around. In my opinion it will do the same again ultimately. When you are positioned like that, all it requires is someone else to be close enough for a considerably lower price. That always happens over time if the market is there to encourage competitors. No matter how much advertising they do, ultimately cost does matter.

Once that happens, then all those things that are now working in their favor will become a rock tied around their necks, just like it did last time. They won't be able to compete, and they'll again be pushed back up into the tiny top of the market. Their costs in order to maintain all that control will require the same enormous cycle of profits and R&D that killed them the last time. As soon as the tap starts closing off, it becomes a death spiral.

They can put it off for a while purely on marketing and public perception, but that's also not going to last. They are going to discover what MS has known for a long time, that the guy on top takes the most heat and hate. They aren't the underdog anymore, fighting against evil MS. As a company becomes that large and wealthy, infighting and fiefdom creation and inefficiency becomes more and more a way of life, it's just human nature. They'll start making the usual bad decisions and having product launch 'glitches' and all that, and in standard big company style they'll try to bluff their way through it and piss people off, etc...
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
What's really funny is that the whole locked architecture, vertical integration, and premium pricing thing that they are doing now is what destroyed them the first time around. In my opinion it will do the same again ultimately. When you are positioned like that, all it requires is someone else to be close enough for a considerably lower price. That always happens over time if the market is there to encourage competitors. No matter how much advertising they do, ultimately cost does matter.

Once that happens, then all those things that are now working in their favor will become a rock tied around their necks, just like it did last time. They won't be able to compete, and they'll again be pushed back up into the tiny top of the market. Their costs in order to maintain all that control will require the same enormous cycle of profits and R&D that killed them the last time. As soon as the tap starts closing off, it becomes a death spiral.

They can put it off for a while purely on marketing and public perception, but that's also not going to last. They are going to discover what MS has known for a long time, that the guy on top takes the most heat and hate. They aren't the underdog anymore, fighting against evil MS. As a company becomes that large and wealthy, infighting and fiefdom creation and inefficiency becomes more and more a way of life, it's just human nature. They'll start making the usual bad decisions and having product launch 'glitches' and all that, and in standard big company style they'll try to bluff their way through it and piss people off, etc...
Wow, that is defeatism in its purest form haha!

I see your point though but I think you're wrong. I doubt most people buy/ like Apple products because they're a supposedly "underdog" to MS, that was a decade ago.
Apple will certainly flounder at some point but we're not close yet, the reaction to the Iphone 5 was pretty much as ecstatic as for the previous ones.

We babble on about the fruit company on this site because a large proportion of us have worked in the mac os for our entire professional life, however computers is not Apple's main business anymore. It's a lucrative one but it only makes up for a fraction of their revenue.

Apple revenue breakdown shows iPad is a quarter of its sales now, Macs don't really matter
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
What's really funny is that the whole locked architecture, vertical integration, and premium pricing thing that they are doing now is what destroyed them the first time around. ...
You would think so. But it seems to me that their integration into mainstream society via the iPod and iPhone has made them the safe and secure choice for people who are afraid of computers. Like, most of my buddies use PCs and Android phones, while their wives are totally Apple. And the wives are always asking me how to do this or that on their iPads... sometimes I can and sometimes I can't but as often as not it is easier on the PC, except for those things at which the iPad already excels at, and which they already know how to do.

Even support.... there are PC shops all over the place, but either nearby Apple store is an hour and a half north, or an hour and a half south, and these gals make that trip every now and again, and do so happily to get some minor instruction on their iPad or iPhone. Makes me shrug.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #12
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Empires come. Empires go.

IBM was the 800 pound gorilla when Apple started. IBM had emphasized vertical integration and heavy customer lock-in since they were in the cash register and punch card business, creating proprietary systems and locking customers into them. That's the ethos that Steve Jobs came up in and it seems clear from what he has been quoted saying by his biographers and others that those business models were the context that Jobs saw his company and his customers within. Gates and Microsoft, on the other hand, took a very different approach. Gates 'exploited' the exploiters (IBM) by creating a third party market for what was roughly the same CPM-near-clone OS they sold to IBM for its then-new desktop line. IBM, which never thought the desktop market would amount to anything ('good for keeping recipes') was blindsided by the move, other hardware vendors rushed in that were faster on their feet, more committed to making either higher quality products (not hard) or equal products at cheaper prices (also not hard), and less cutthroat about treating their customers as cash cows. It was the open market nature of that third party market, by almost all assessments, that helped create a robust and highly competitive desktop computer market and the resulting revolution in business and personal lives. So, it's particularly sad to see Microsoft moving toward vertical integration and dumbed down products.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
You would think so. But it seems to me that their integration into mainstream society via the iPod and iPhone has made them the safe and secure choice for people who are afraid of computers.
MS has close to 90% of the market share for office computers so your logic doesn't really hold up.. unless your arguing they're all housewives.......
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Guru
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk ➡️
I see your point though but I think you're wrong. I doubt most people buy/ like Apple products because they're a supposedly "underdog" to MS, that was a decade ago.
That was my point. They aren't that anymore. They won't get the benefit of the doubt anymore when things go wrong. They are now just another really big company. Back when they were more able to position themselves as the shining light on the hill amidst a sea of MS ugliness, they would get a lot more slack cut them. But now they will discover what MS and Intel discovered in their time. That it's hard to steer a ship that big, and people are a lot less tolerant of failure when you are on top.

And it's not defeatist, it's just based on the concept that history repeats itself. They took the same strategy back when, and while it worked it worked really nicely. They were making enormous profits. But, they needed those enormous profits in order to take that sort of 'all in house' position. If the profits falter, suddenly the money you are burning through to do it that way can become deadly.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Guru
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
The trouble is, there is no real alternative. To me, Windows 8 looks even more like kiddy stuff. Those "live tiles"? Puhlease.

Anyway. Whatever floats your boat.
Keep in mind that that is an optional front end. You can turn it off. Unlike the Apple, it's just there if you want it, so that it can serve well on simple devices to do simple tasks. But you can set it up for the standard interface as well for power users.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
That was my point. They aren't that anymore. They won't get the benefit of the doubt anymore when things go wrong. They are now just another really big company. Back when they were more able to position themselves as the shining light on the hill amidst a sea of MS ugliness, they would get a lot more slack cut them.

And it's not defeatist, it's just based on the concept that history repeats itself. They took the same strategy back when, and while it worked it worked really nicely. They were making enormous profits. But, they needed those enormous profits in order to take that sort of 'all in house' position. If the profits falter, suddenly the money you are burning through to do it that way can become deadly.
Again, while I do see you argument numbers tell a different story.... Apple is a huge company & no one cares..
They're not seen as the evil corporate (yet anyway) in the same way MS was 15 years ago.....
This is probably down to great products and the persona that was Steve Jobs.. Tim Cook does not have the same charisma though and it's very possible that Apple will eventually meet the same destiny as MS, Disney and others....

They are however a different beast, your parallels with MS simply don't hold ground... People generally want & flaunt Apple products.. That was never the case with MS..

Pretentious geeks bragged about their skills with ms-dos and everyone ran the other way just to make sure they weren't tainted with that particular flavour of nerd arrogance..

Not so with Apple products, the hotter and more hipster the girl/boy the more you can guarantee they'll whip out a fruit label product from their shoulder bag......
Old 24th September 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk ➡️

Not so with Apple products, the hotter and more hipster the girl/boy the more you can guarantee they'll whip out a fruit label product from their shoulder bag......
Which causes most of us to run the other way so as not to be viewed as phonies and sheep! My how the tables have turned!
Old 24th September 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Blame the moron over at Xerox that handed -yes handed - the first mouse over to Apple...
Old 24th September 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
That which should be of primary concern to all us audio professionals here, is the success of Apple in the consumer world means less of a dependence on those of us in the professional world... who need the Mac Pro format to continue so that our PCIe slotted high powered, multiple hard-drive, loaded with RAM machines are replaceable and we don't end up orphaned.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Guru
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk ➡️
Again, while I do see you argument numbers tell a different story.... Apple is a huge company & no one cares..
They're not seen as the evil corporate (yet anyway) in the same way MS was 15 years ago.....
This is probably down to great products and the persona that was Steve Jobs.. Tim Cook does not have the same charisma though and it's very possible that Apple will eventually meet the same destiny as MS, Disney and others....

They are however a different beast, your parallels with MS simply don't hold ground... People generally want & flaunt Apple products.. That was never the case with MS..
I keep trying to make the point that I'm talking about moving forward. They have only just reached the point where they will be subject to these forces. They have only very recently become a huge company.

And, as pointed out above, they are now exactly what Apple said it wasn't for all those years. How much are you 'thinking different' by buying an iPad? You are just part of the herd, and that is at odds with much of the basic appeal that Apple had for so long. How can you remain hip if you are basically driving the same minivan as everyone else?

There are too many contradictions there. They can't continue to position themselves as the alternative, since they are the status quo. They can't position their users as the insider elite, since they are the status quo. People will want something else just to not be one of the herd at some point. They are like the revolutionaries who finally win the war and become the government.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk ➡️
MS has close to 90% of the market share for office computers so your logic doesn't really hold up.. unless your arguing they're all housewives.......
You make no sense. Who in an office is afraid of computers? Read the message to which I responded, craft something that suits the topic. Nobody questions the office world, we're talking about Apple failing as it almost did once before, for the same causes. Those causes don't seem to carry as much weight as they did the first time around.
Old 24th September 2012
  #22
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I talked with many apple people about some of this, they are not gonna stop making the towers etc, a real studio cannot run off of a laptop and they know that, far as the thunderbolt, they will always be cards, adaptors to get you up and running with any older stuff, I am still using firewire 400, that is all I need. My tower/PT system is only a tape deck as far as i am concerned.

I don't jump in Apple selling drive or ever what you want to call it, I just don't need the lastest thing they put out on anything.
In fact I have been thinking of ditching my iphone and going to a cheap basic phone, I hate texting, emails etc. I wish you could get a iphone with just the dam* phone and no data service, you are charged for it anyway.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
I keep trying to make the point that I'm talking about moving forward. They have only just reached the point where they will be subject to these forces. They have only very recently become a huge company.

And, as pointed out above, they are now exactly what Apple said it wasn't for all those years. How much are you 'thinking different' by buying an iPad? You are just part of the herd, and that is at odds with much of the basic appeal that Apple had for so long. How can you remain hip if you are basically driving the same minivan as everyone else?

There are too many contradictions there. They can't continue to position themselves as the alternative, since they are the status quo. They can't position their users as the insider elite, since they are the status quo. People will want something else just to not be one of the herd at some point. They are like the revolutionaries who finally win the war and become the government.
For this premise to work the assumption must be that the reason people buy Apple products is to stand out from the crowd.
While this might be the case for the computers, it certainly doesn't seem to be for Ipads & Iphones. Rather it seems people buy these products so as to be part of the crow

In 95 people bought a pc when they needed a computer, if they'd heard about Mac it was too expensive and practicality prevailed.
Steve Jobs created a need where there previously wasn't one and because of this it's impossible to compare this situation to Apple pre-Jobs.

Apple will certainly fail at some point but I doubt it'll be because of a corporate David & Goliath scenario.
It seems more likely that lack of product innovation and the fact that the competition do make products that fulfil the need of both design and function (equally as well as they do) will be the main reasons for their, likely, future loss of market share.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
You make no sense. Who in an office is afraid of computers? Read the message to which I responded, craft something that suits the topic. Nobody questions the office world, we're talking about Apple failing as it almost did once before, for the same causes. Those causes don't seem to carry as much weight as they did the first time around.
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
You would think so. But it seems to me that their integration into mainstream society via the iPod and iPhone has made them the safe and secure choice for people who are afraid of computers. Like, most of my buddies use PCs and Android phones, while their wives are totally Apple. And the wives are always asking me how to do this or that on their iPads... sometimes I can and sometimes I can't but as often as not it is easier on the PC, except for those things at which the iPad already excels at, and which they already know how to do.

Even support.... there are PC shops all over the place, but either nearby Apple store is an hour and a half north, or an hour and a half south, and these gals make that trip every now and again, and do so happily to get some minor instruction on their iPad or iPhone. Makes me shrug.
You keep referring to the Ipad/Iphone as the tool used by people afraid of computers.
Apple sold 37 million Iphones in Q1 2012, that number is likely to include people who are very computer savvy to those who doesn't know how to turn them on, as well people of any grade in between.

I'm sorry to say I think your wrong on two counts here, one is the blatant sexism in your comment, the other is the assumption that people who buy Apple are afraid of computers.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #25
Gear Guru
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk ➡️
For this premise to work the assumption must be that the reason people buy Apple products is to stand out from the crowd.
While this might be the case for the computers, it certainly doesn't seem to be for Ipads & Iphones. Rather it seems people buy these products so as to be part of the crow
But that's part of the problem. How did Apple position itself for so long? They were the hip alternative. What is it that kills every hip or insider movement? It's the broad adoption of that movement. It's no longer hip, it's just status quo. I think that makes them vulnerable. Every such movement is largest just before it become passe and people move on.

Quote:
In 95 people bought a pc when they needed a computer, if they'd heard about Mac it was too expensive and practicality prevailed. Steve Jobs created a need where there previously wasn't one and because of this it's impossible to compare this situation to Apple pre-Jobs.
That's not true. I was comparing them on business factors, and those are the same. They are going down the same road they were before. And your analysis isn't correct anyway. Before Apple tanked the first time, they were in the same situation as now. They were the darlings of the computer world and of the financial world. But they were depending on a vertically integrated strategy that required huge profits to feed a huge R&D effort. Those things are just as dangerous now as then.

Quote:
It seems more likely that lack of product innovation and the fact that the competition do make products that fulfil the need of both design and function (equally as well as they do) will be the main reasons for their, likely, future loss of market share.
Which is one of the points I was making. One of the characteristics of large, successful companies is the building of feifdoms at the top, in-fighting, people counting their stock options, vanity projects, etc... All these things happen to Apple the first time around, and likely will again.

BUT, because they are so dependent on a single product, the use of which is really more fashion driven than on fundamentals, they are even more vulnerable to a swing in the finkle finger of fashion, IMO. Since they really aren't a computer company so much anymore, they don't have that to fall back on. Or, if they did fall back on it, it would be such an implosion that they might not ever come back.
Old 24th September 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
People have stuck with all this "McDonalds" music for 10 years now. I think the iphone is safe for a while.

I think RIM made it too easy for Google and Apple. They dropped the ball big time IMO.

I never got the whole apple thing. Some kid who was here on the weekend said his new iphone 5 was 700 dollars. Probably an 80 hour paycheck for him. Oh well to each their own, n all that.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
Tallowah's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Personally, I believe that tools is tools, and I try to use the tool that does what I need it to do best, not because of any name that might be associated with the product. I don't own an iPod or iPhone, I have other choices that work better for me.... Where there is no difference in how a software performs under either platform, since I own a pile of PCs, why would I buy a Mac?

If you don't like the choice that you've made, it is easy enough to change. I really don't understand the whole debate, because I spend my time in applications, rarely needing to piss around in the OS and not finding much difference in the end result, other than it is easier for me to find my way around the PC OS because I am more familiar with it. (shrug...)

Well said! I don't understand the debate either.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
I keep trying to make the point that I'm talking about moving forward. They have only just reached the point where they will be subject to these forces. They have only very recently become a huge company.

And, as pointed out above, they are now exactly what Apple said it wasn't for all those years. How much are you 'thinking different' by buying an iPad? You are just part of the herd, and that is at odds with much of the basic appeal that Apple had for so long. How can you remain hip if you are basically driving the same minivan as everyone else?

There are too many contradictions there. They can't continue to position themselves as the alternative, since they are the status quo. They can't position their users as the insider elite, since they are the status quo. People will want something else just to not be one of the herd at some point. They are like the revolutionaries who finally win the war and become the government.
I personally am so put off by the apple fanboys and the general "stench of proclaimed superiority" that surrounds apple products and their users that i don't want to and won't use their products. Since using a Mac won't make my recording sound better i don't care, plus i don't like the OS, and i do webdesign on the side to finance my music career, so its not because the Mac OS is too much for me to understand. If there comes a time when there is something i can't do because i am using Windows i will consider changing, but since that has never happened i have no reason to. To boot, i want to run Sequoia and it doesn't work on Mac OS. Any software i want to run works on Windows - plus, i for the same money as a Mac i am getting a better processor, more memory, more for my money. Not to mention if i ever get a real job i will be using Windows anyway. It isn't selling computers that made Apple so rich anyway, and in the music industry the only product they make that we can use is their computers or Logic, which i personally don't see the appeal of. I don't need to or want to use anything made by Apogee so there is absolutely no reason i would ever need a Mac. Like i said, if i find myself limited because i am using Windows i will change, currently, i only find myself limited when using my bosses Mac.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
j-uk's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
But that's part of the problem. How did Apple position itself for so long? They were the hip alternative. What is it that kills every hip or insider movement? It's the broad adoption of that movement. It's no longer hip, it's just status quo. I think that makes them vulnerable. Every such movement is largest just before it become passe and people move on.



That's not true. I was comparing them on business factors, and those are the same. They are going down the same road they were before. And your analysis isn't correct anyway. Before Apple tanked the first time, they were in the same situation as now. They were the darlings of the computer world and of the financial world. But they were depending on a vertically integrated strategy that required huge profits to feed a huge R&D effort. Those things are just as dangerous now as then.



Which is one of the points I was making. One of the characteristics of large, successful companies is the building of feifdoms at the top, in-fighting, people counting their stock options, vanity projects, etc... All these things happen to Apple the first time around, and likely will again.

BUT, because they are so dependent on a single product, the use of which is really more fashion driven than on fundamentals, they are even more vulnerable to a swing in the finkle finger of fashion, IMO. Since they really aren't a computer company so much anymore, they don't have that to fall back on. Or, if they did fall back on it, it would be such an implosion that they might not ever come back.
We're not really disagreeing in broad strokes here. I'd argue that my assessment that there is a difference between their situation now and pre-jobs is correct, you argue differently, but neither really matters.

Apple will sooner or later find themselves in a downward spiral unless they can keep innovating and that might be tricky.
Not only did Jobs see the need by consumer of nicely designed electronics but he also saw the massive hole that could be filled with an updated version of the Walkman.
Apple is unlikely to have another Steve Jobs in their midst but they might have a few guys who can fill his shoes collectively.
However they need to keep innovating. A lacklustre Iphone 6 will hurt them.
Old 25th September 2012
  #30
Gear Guru
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I agree that there are differences. They were a computer company then, and they are more of a consumer electronics company now. That obviously does change things. My arguments for congruency are more oriented towards the overall way that they are structured, which is very similar to before (i.e. closed, vertical, upscale pricing being necessary to drive the R&D engine.) It sort of requires that they stay pricey, so if a reasonable competitor comes along for a better price, particularly if it's some company that is marketing savvy and manages to position Apple as the now staid status quo, they could be very vulnerable.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump