Quantcast
why apple sucks today - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
why apple sucks today
Old 31st October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I transitioned from PC to Mac back in the mid-90s for a few basic reasons.

First, I was tired of being forced to purchase PCs that were preloaded with bloated software I never asked for that bogs my system down before I even start using it. If you call Dell and ask them to send you a new PC with only Windows they won't do it.

At least with Apple, you're just getting their suite of software. In order to really get a PC working properly over the long haul it seems to me you need the knowledge to really dig into it (meaning maybe even open up the box and remove/install boards, drives, memory, etc.).

Finally, I was tired of my hardware becoming useless to run the software I want after a few short years and version updates. My first Powermac lasted 7 years before I needed to trade up (mainly due to the change to Intel - which bummed me out in a big way).

If you're a serious techy, which I imagine most folks on Gearslutz are, this might be fine if it's your preference. For others of us though, we just want to minimize the troubleshooting and downtime and just produce music.

For me a Windows PC is a computer in the truest sense if you want a computer. Macs are more of an appliance to me. They do what you pay for them to do. You don't have to tear into them (or very rarely) and hopefully they have a longer lifespan so you can get more years out of them for your money.

At least that's the theory. This all will probably change in the next ten years!

I really think Apple's innovative and aesthetic genius was always tied to its Founder or later people He hand picked. What was its strength is now its weakness unfortunately and while the new guys who are now holding the ball I'm sure are very bright, you really need that brilliant arrogance combined with the power to boldly decide and execute (no committees) in order to do what Apple has done to date.

I don't think they are set up for that anymore. The cracks in the armor are starting to appear. And maybe that's OK. Nothing lasts forever...

Actually at this point I'd really be ready to see a new company that does its own hardware/software design come into play as an alternative to the tired old PC vs. Mac choice.

Cheers...
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…