why apple sucks today - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
why apple sucks today
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
...But it seems to me that their integration into mainstream society via the iPod and iPhone has made them the safe and secure choice for people who are afraid of computers. ... are always asking me how to do this or that on their iPads... sometimes I can and sometimes I can't but as often as not it is easier on the PC, except for those things at which the iPad already excels at, and which they already know how to do.
Spot on.

In response to the OP:
Well, they used to have the technological edge on creative softwares (image, video and audio editing), but that's not the case anymore. And so now, all I see is restrictions to the user, when I look at how Apple does business. I wouldn't count on it delivering other than mainstream products.

I do understand your pain though, I just think that Apple's concept makes it's viability as a pro contender shaky in the long run, as Dean Roddey explained.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk ➡️
They're not seen as the evil corporate (yet anyway) in the same way MS was 15 years ago.....
I certainly have seen Apple that way for a number of years. Of course, compounded by the spectacle of born-again fans and mesmerized tech-media.

Quote:
This is probably down to great products and the persona that was Steve Jobs.. ....
Great products? - Sure, useable to many, and flashy. But overpriced and restricted products imo.
The persona that Steve jobs was? - Urghh, not really a cool guy in my book.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➡️
I agree that there are differences. They were a computer company then, and they are more of a consumer electronics company now. That obviously does change things. My arguments for congruency are more oriented towards the overall way that they are structured, which is very similar to before (i.e. closed, vertical, upscale pricing being necessary to drive the R&D engine.)
It's hard to say if this business model is flawed. Back before Jobs took over Apple was in decent financial health, they were just losing market share rapidly.
It's easy to think that this wouldn't be a sustainable model to move forwards but we won't know since Jobs did take over. However looking at companies like Bose and Bang & Olufsen, of course much smaller enterprises but with a similar product concept and prices. Both of them are doing good afaik.

Quote:
It sort of requires that they stay pricey, so if a reasonable competitor comes along for a better price, particularly if it's some company that is marketing savvy and manages to position Apple as the now staid status quo, they could be very vulnerable.
No one can challenge Apple at the moment but you are absolutely right.
My personal feeling is that it will be a company who's yet to really show themselves. A company that will face the competition with a product based on a great idea and innovative concept rather than brute dollar force.

However could be that Samsung becomes the new Nokia of the day and takes over by just consistently coming out with the right product. They're still just imitating thought, chasing the same market share as Crabbable.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke ➡️
I certainly have seen Apple that way for a number of years. Of course, compounded by the spectacle of born-again fans and mesmerized tech-media.

Great products? - Sure, useable to many, and flashy. But overpriced and restricted products imo.
The persona that Steve jobs was? - Urghh, not really a cool guy in my book.
Please just come out and say it, you know you want to.....
PC RULEEEEES! MAC DIEEEEEE!

Sorry dude just messing with you
Lives for gear

For the most part, my Apple stuff has held up well. I've had 80+ Apple computers in my lab over the last 15 years. Not a single Mac has failed, and they run 24 hours a day, for the most part.

My gripes list is not overly long...

1) When they switched from OS9 to OSX in 2000, they did not support developers well. Many apps simply vanished.

2) When they switched from the G chip to the Intel chip in 2006, once again many developers weren't supported. Only the larger ones survived.

3) If you skip an OSX update, you have to wipe the drive and reinstall everything you have for later updates. That's crap.

4) They are no longer supporting the iPad1. It's 2 years old. C'mon Apple. That's some serious greed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Please just come out and say it, you know you want to.....
PC RULEEEEES! MAC DIEEEEEE!

Sorry dude just messing with you
Doh, well, you got me, I guess. Sorry, the OP didn't ask a PC - Mac discussion.

The very reasonable price of Logic seems to suggest they are not pouring too many ressources into it though, and perhaps don't want to concern themselves too much with more niche type software. But I could be entirely wrong of course, I don't know anything about current developments tbh.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The very reasonable price of Logic seems to suggest they are not pouring too many ressources into it though, and perhaps don't want to
concern themselves too much with with more niche type software. But I could be entirely wrong of course, I don't know anything about current developments tbh.
+1
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
GS Community Manager

Quote:

The very reasonable price of Logic seems to suggest they are not pouring too many ressources into it though, and perhaps don't want to concern themselves too much with more niche type software. But I could be entirely wrong of course, I don't know anything about current developments tbh.
I think it's the opposite. The price is reasonable so they shift more hardware (after all, you have to have a Mac to use it) - and they'll tweak it so it gets more and more system-intensive. When version 10 comes out, I bet a lot of the features run poorly on three and four year old systems.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Mountain Lion $40!

iOS6 - Free
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob131313 ➡️
Mountain Lion $40!

iOS6 - Free
iOS6 is over-priced!! I wish I hadn't "upgraded".
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nott ➡️
what´s wrong with apple.
what about the pro stuff like final cut, logic, mac pro with thunderbolt connections??
what about a stable and simple os for our daily work!!
who needs that kiddy stuff??

are you gearslutzs happy about the situation now???
It's math Apple sells millions of iphones and they make billions of dollars.
I love working with bands - but I get corporate audio jobs no band could afford to pay my corporate rate. But I make great money doing jobs like that and when I get a chance to work on a band it's fun but they monetary payback is a fraction.
Apple has a board of directors and shareholders to answer to.
Zuckerberg refused to have Facebook integrated in Apple iOS.
Facebook goes Public - wham Apple offer Facebook money to integrate Facebook. Facebook HAD to do it Zuckerberg had NO say.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Mountain Lion $40!

iOS6 - Free
Mountain Lion was $20.00 - And you can load it on Five Machines! Cost $4.00 per MAchine
What is Windows 8 going to cost?
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore ➡️
Mountain Lion was $20.00 - And you can load it on Five Machines! Cost $4.00 per MAchine What is Windows 8 going to cost?
They dump the OS to increase hardware market share, presumably. Of course, when MS dumped browers to get OS market share, they were condemned for it, and dragged into court. But Apple can practically give away their OS because it drives hardware sales. If you make your money selling software you have to get paid for the software.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Mountain Lion was $20.00 - And you can load it on Five Machines! Cost $4.00 per MAchine
What is Windows 8 going to cost?
Oh Im in total agreement with you. Rocks.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Zuckerberg refused to have Facebook integrated in Apple iOS.
Facebook goes Public - wham Apple offer Facebook money to integrate Facebook. Facebook HAD to do it Zuckerberg had NO say.
Yes, Apple certainly won that one... and although the new iOS6 is still buggy, they sure beat google at its own game with the new maps app.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➡️
Yes, Apple certainly won that one... and although the new iOS6 is still buggy, they sure beat google at its own game with the new maps app.
Nothing buggy here. Not defending anything... I dont know what the big deal is about the satellite view of maps. It works sooo much faster now getting directions which you dont need a satellite view to use. I understand the subway part used to have the train times of when slower running lines were scheduled to depart etc... Yea that sucks not having that.

What else is there?

3g facetime is cool too. Although Im never going to do that. I need my data.
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ios6 is really buggy.
mountain lion on older mac pros is buggy (graphic issues).
there is no macpro with thunderbolt???!!
logic 9 is a shame at this time!!!
iphone 5 and the built quality is a joke!!!
and all the newer apple stuff looks very kiddy

apple leaved the pro market and lost the status of "quality" - it's time to swap to another system or it's time for apple to push again the "good old apple" line.
the time for a change is now!
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Here's how it starts:

Does Apple have a Scott Forstall problem? - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Without someone at the top who is so dominant that no one can challenge him, and with a lot of money and power on tap, this is likely to be the story more and more.
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Been borrowing my bosses MBP with Logic Pro. I wouldn't take this computer or this DAW for free. I don't know what the hype is all about. It still freezes, it is slower than any pc i own, the interface blows, the entire operating system is counter intuitive, and it isn't because i'm unfamiliar with it, i use the thing all day everyday. Horrible OS, average hardware at best, but for twice the price or more of comparable hardware running Windows or Linux. Recently i got home from work and started doing things on my pc . . . it was then i decided i would never use a Mac by choice. I realized how good Windows actually is, what would take 10 minutes, or not be possible on Mac would take 1 minute or less on Windows. Windows has never prevented me from accomplishing a task, so why change? No Mac user can clearly explain why they think a Mac is better other than to say "Its just easier", but if you can't explain why you are doing something it means you don't know what you are doing. Remember Math class? If you can't show how you solved a problem, it meant you didn't know how you solved the problem. As far as Logic is concerned . . . a sad joke really. I can't think of any DAW that i wouldn't rather use. The machine is only about 6 months old and has no issues, except that it is poorly designed. Dual-core 2.4 for $1200? Who cares if the OS costs $40 at that price for the hardware? Recently i ran into a problem at work that was a result of using a Mac, the solution my boss presented? We need to run a version of Windows on the Mac . . . uh, wouldn't it make more sense to use a PC?
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers ➡️
Been borrowing my bosses MBP with Logic Pro. I wouldn't take this computer or this DAW for free. I don't know what the hype is all about. It still freezes, it is slower than any pc i own, the interface blows, the entire operating system is counter intuitive, and it isn't because i'm unfamiliar with it, i use the thing all day everyday. Horrible OS, average hardware at best, but for twice the price or more of comparable hardware running Windows or Linux. Recently i got home from work and started doing things on my pc . . . it was then i decided i would never use a Mac by choice. I realized how good Windows actually is, what would take 10 minutes, or not be possible on Mac would take 1 minute or less on Windows. Windows has never prevented me from accomplishing a task, so why change? No Mac user can clearly explain why they think a Mac is better other than to say "Its just easier", but if you can't explain why you are doing something it means you don't know what you are doing. Remember Math class? If you can't show how you solved a problem, it meant you didn't know how you solved the problem. As far as Logic is concerned . . . a sad joke really. I can't think of any DAW that i wouldn't rather use. The machine is only about 6 months old and has no issues, except that it is poorly designed. Dual-core 2.4 for $1200? Who cares if the OS costs $40 at that price for the hardware? Recently i ran into a problem at work that was a result of using a Mac, the solution my boss presented? We need to run a version of Windows on the Mac . . . uh, wouldn't it make more sense to use a PC?
Then go use a PC and report back.
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
And more:

Why Apple's hardware chief came in from the cold - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Particularly see the bullet point about them apparently putting money into chip design and considering moving away from Intel. As I said, they will repeat history, and that's a big one if they are really doing that. They blew large amounts of money in their first incarnation on exactly such a 'not invented here' chip design effort that came to nothing. I can't imagine, assuming it doesn't turn into just another huge waster of money that never produces anything, that it would be a remotely good move to do it.

It's a sort of arrogance that's built into the company culture apparently. It probably wasn't a bad thing when they were an underdog, but now it's rearing its head again in the same sort of circumstances that made it deadly the first time around.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And more:

Why Apple's hardware chief came in from the cold - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

Particularly see the bullet point about them apparently putting money into chip design and considering moving away from Intel. As I said, they will repeat history, and that's a big one if they are really doing that. They blew large amounts of money in their first incarnation on exactly such a 'not invented here' chip design effort that came to nothing. I can't imagine, assuming it doesn't turn into just another huge waster of money that never produces anything, that it would be a remotely good move to do it.

It's a sort of arrogance that's built into the company culture apparently. It probably wasn't a bad thing when they were an underdog, but now it's rearing its head again in the same sort of circumstances that made it deadly the first time around.
Sorry but what? Moving away from intel is bad why? I can only think the exact opposite of you. I mean the $1billion in lazers is more off putting to me than getting away from intel.......
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If they attempt to move away from Intel and do their own CPU, they will be locked into competing with Intel forever more. There's almost no way they can do that. The rest of the world isn't going to move over to their CPU en mass, so as before they will have to try to attempt to compete with the massive Wintel universe, but with the revenues only driven by their own hardware sales. They have large sales, but they aren't very big compared to the whole Wintel ecosystem, AFAIK.

It's standard Apple hubris, just as before. People were telling them for years to dump Motorola and go to an Intel platform, but they wouldn't do it. Instead they attempted to do their own CPU design, which turned out to be a huge money sucking failure. So they were stuck on less and less competitive CPUs for a lot longer than they would have otherwise been.

If they managed to actually create their own CPU, that might even be worse, since they would be tying a rock around their necks that would be difficult to get back off.
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
yea fair enough if you want to argue that point but their processors rocked before they moved to intel. They moved to intel because they weren't the fastest processors going anymore and thats what they were known for.

Second, what they are investing in it compared to their billon dollar lazer project is nothing and they have the money this go round, a lot of it.

They are trying to get rid of every 3rd party there possibly could be. Its their stance as a business. They are looking at things differently than you in the bigger picture. They are also planning on tackling the cable companies and competing with them. They are going for a broader reach. Apple was always great because everything always worked cause apple made every single part of it. But I dont see why wanting to go back to that in a small avenue of investment when compared to other huge projects is really a problem.
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yea fair enough if you want to argue that point but their processors rocked before they moved to intel. They moved to intel because they weren't the fastest processors going anymore and thats what they were known for.
Yes, exactly. Do you really think they can compete with Intel? Honestly, I don't.

Quote:
They are trying to get rid of every 3rd party there possibly could be. Its their stance as a business.
So, **** 'em. The mentality you just described is not what is best for the consumer, and it locks buyers to Apple's planned obsolescence scheme. That scheme is something the world needs even less of now, considering the environmental impact.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I suck BIGTIME!

Just dropped my MBP. It fell on a corner.
I had it in my laptopbag (which I"ll burn later this week ) and dropped it only 30/40cm from the ground while I stepped out of the car.

Its still working but I'm scared when I close it.
The surface isn't flat anymore so if there is to much uneven pressure the screen might break.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
yea fair enough if you want to argue that point but their processors rocked before they moved to intel. They moved to intel because they weren't the fastest processors going anymore and thats what they were known for
The CPUs they initially used were by Motorola, a huge company and much more hardware oriented. Motorola coudn't compete with Intel and so Apple dropped behind. Then they teamed up with IBM to use the PowerPC CPU that they talked IBM and Motorola into developing jointly. Motorola and Apple and IBM (and even huger company at that time) together still couldn't really afford to keep it going forward with sufficient speed to match Intel, because they were always catering to a smaller market and so the revenues just weren't there. So finally Apple dropped the PowerPC in favor of an Intel platform.

Windows was initially created to be able to be built for a number of RISC platforms, because it was thought at the time that that was the way of the world moving forward. But it never happened. Intel just out-competed them all. They have the massive customer base that gives them the revenues to continue to cover the huge costs that having a competitive CPU requires these days. And even they sometimes struggle to do it, as they are right now with PC sales in a slump.
Old 30th October 2012
Old 31st October 2012
Audio Alchemist

Now we'll get rid of that horrid skeuomorphism perhaps.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…