Quantcast
iLok Ransom - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iLok Ransom
Old 23rd September 2012
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
iLok Ransom

I can see there have been a lot of complaints about iLok but is there really no way to transfer my licences from a broken ilok to a new one other than to pay iLok.com $179? They are MY licences after all.
The old one lights up but doesn't come up on the site so I bought a new one but they won't transfer anything unless I buy ZDT insurance for both of them (as far as I can see at least) and it still takes two weeks AND they insist on sending me a new iLok in the post, probably to justify the price.

I can only see this as paying ransom for my own licences and it pisses me off beyond belief. I've seen a lot of praise for the iLok on the forums here but how can people seriously be happy with this system?
Old 23rd September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
We all hate the iLok system. End of story.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #3
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➑️
We all hate the iLok system. End of story.
Brilliant response! :-) But sad though, that all these people just go: We hate that but still we keep paying.
I think I'm out though. For good. I'm going for cracked plug-ins all the way, and I've been trying to avoid that all these years.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #4
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboProducer ➑️
I can see there have been a lot of complaints about iLok but is there really no way to transfer my licences from a broken ilok to a new one other than to pay iLok.com $179? They are MY licences after all.
The old one lights up but doesn't come up on the site so I bought a new one but they won't transfer anything unless I buy ZDT insurance for both of them (as far as I can see at least) and it still takes two weeks AND they insist on sending me a new iLok in the post, probably to justify the price.

I can only see this as paying ransom for my own licences and it pisses me off beyond belief. I've seen a lot of praise for the iLok on the forums here but how can people seriously be happy with this system?
I think you're not understanding things quite right here. I don't know where you get $179 from.


From iLok.com:

" If charged, the cost for RMA License Recovery will be $49.95."

If you DIDN'T have ZDT on your ilok, you can pay $100 expediency fee.

But you don't have to.

You don't need to buy ZDT for your blank ilok at all.

You don't need to buy it for your broken one, if you don't mind waiting. If you do...you do have to (plus pay the advance fee).

The point of insurance like ZDT (I know it's not 100% like insurance, but it's a form of it) is to have it in advance. I'm sure I've paid more than $100 over the last few years that I've NOT needed it. Why should you just be able to pay for it when you need it?

I don't love the idea of iLok - I'd much rather have the Waves system, but for EVERYONE. At the moment, all the waves system has done is add a dongle to my system. iLok is way easier than challenge/response.

If you're going to go "pirate"...well, then you're part of the problem, no?
Old 23rd September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Sorry. Double post.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
You can wait for the (up to) 2 weeks and transfer licences without purchasing ZDT.
Purchasing ZDT on your broken iLok allows you to immediately download temporary licences. Purchasing it on the new iLok would allow this in case of another breakdown.
You can also choose not to receive a new iLok (which I did as postage to UK was more than an iLok cost to buy in a local retailer)

As to your other comment...There are plenty of good non iLok plugs available if you don't like iLok.

I'd suggest you read the forum rules if you'd like to remain a member here.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #7
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
< REMOVED BY MODERATOR >

$179 is what the website asked me to pay after I went through the process. Maybe there's something I overlooked, and that's why I'm on here asking about this.

I have a broken iLok and a new iLok that cost me Β£40, is that enough? No, I need to pay iLok some more. And why should I buy insurance? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't iLoks come with a warranty? This is a scam. Plain and simple. I can't believe people are actually defending this thing... And I never thought my iLok, of all things, could make me this angry :-)
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #8
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboProducer ➑️
$179 is what the website asked me to pay after I went through the process. Maybe there's something I overlooked, and that's why I'm on here asking about this.

I have a broken iLok and a new iLok that cost me Β£40, is that enough? No, I need to pay iLok some more. And why should I buy insurance? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't iLoks come with a warranty? This is a scam. Plain and simple. I can't believe people are actually defending this thing... And I never thought my iLok, of all things, could make me this angry :-)
Did you pay the $100 expediency fee? That isn't necessary unless you don't want to wait.

As I said, you don't need to ZDT the blank ilok. Another $30 saved?

I dunno, I don't know how you arrived at this.

I'm not defending iLok per se - I'm defending it as the least worst option at the current time. This comes from having to do re-installs and maintain 15+ PT rigs, as well as my own. IK and the like are far more hassle to deal with. Also none of those rigs has ever had an iLok failure. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be should it happen, but just to say it's not a super-regular occurance.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
iLok is definitely malware and should be classified as such.

Regards,
Frank
Old 23rd September 2012
  #10
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
so you're blaming ilok for your *uk up?
Did someone from ilok come over to your house and break it?
First of all I broke my ilok when I dropped my laptop totally my fault.
No Zero Downtime - my fault again.
I sent my ilok to Pace that cost me $30.00 by air express Pace charged me $50.00 for the recovery and deposit to my account
then I bough a new ilok because I broke my old one.
that cost me another $40.00
total cost to me $120.00
Because it was MY FAULT I droop my laptop and it landed on my ilok.
People need to take personal responsibility to being a FUP
Old 23rd September 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Not really defending it. In fact I don't see one post here defending it....just people pointing out that your assumption re the $179 cost was not the only option and that your mention of cracked software was unnecessary and breaking the forum rules.

I got stung myself as I hadn't ZDT'ed and it also hit me hard when I found out the cost to get my licences back up and running without the 2 week wait.

What is most annoying is that this isn't at all obvious until you have a failure.

So now you do have that knowledge you may decide going forward that iLok software is not for you or like myself may feel somewhat aggrieved for a while, but accept that the annual ZDT fee is worth paying in advance to ensure you can keep running (legally) the software you have got so used to working with.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #12
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
I completely agree with you on that actually. I didn't do anything to mine though, it just stopped working so I bought a new one (Β£40), went home, popped it into the machine and then get asked to pay more money for transferring the licences cause the old one doesn't work. I still don't think that is fair.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboProducer ➑️
I completely agree with you on that actually. I didn't do anything to mine though, it just stopped working so I bought a new one (Β£40), went home, popped it into the machine and then get asked to pay more money for transferring the licences cause the old one doesn't work. I still don't think that is fair.
I took my an over an hour of lost studio time to transfer all my IK licenses/Native Instruments/Waves/Plug-in Alliance to my new upgraded computer from the old system.
So not every CP system is 100% perfect.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
lagavulin16's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
If you're going to go "pirate"...well, then you're part of the problem, no?
If pirating is an option, I guess the real question is "how is iLok a solution?"

It sounds like iLok is a problem masquerading as a solution that doesn't actually solve anything.

That said I view iLok the way I view HOAs - I don't know why anyone would choose to buy a plugin that requires an iLok, or why anyone would choose to buy a home with an HOA, but once you've done it I suppose you should play by the rules you agreed to (Including the rule that they can change the rules at any time).
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore ➑️
so you're blaming ilok for your *uk up?
Did someone from ilok come over to your house and break it?
First of all I broke my ilok when I dropped my laptop totally my fault.
No Zero Downtime - my fault again.
I sent my ilok to Pace that cost me $30.00 by air express Pace charged me $50.00 for the recovery and deposit to my account
then I bough a new ilok because I broke my old one.
that cost me another $40.00
total cost to me $120.00
Because it was MY FAULT I droop my laptop and it landed on my ilok.
People need to take personal responsibility to being a FUP

The new iloks stop working very easily. My ilok started the blinking red light of death in only 3 months of just being plugged in and not touched.
Old 25th September 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Sure seem to be a lot of Ilok threads.

I don't have one.

How is a plugin worth any sort of hassle ever?

Technology is supposed to make life (and making music) better and easier.

But does it?

No!

IMO.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray ➑️
Sure seem to be a lot of Ilok threads.

I don't have one.

How is a plugin worth any sort of hassle ever?

Technology is supposed to make life (and making music) better and easier.

But does it?

No!

IMO.
Well actually I will have to side with psycho monkey on this one. If you have worked in studios and been responsible for multiple rigs the ilok can be great!! Just install your software and you are good to go. Where non ilok plugs you have to mess with each to authorize. When you are talking rigs that legally have pretty much every plug out there, this is a huge time saver.

It use to be even better before ilok got hacked. Before most plug companies would have their installers right on their front page. Now you generally have to log in to get updates, which is a big bummer and time waster.
Old 27th September 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have a broken iLok and a new iLok that cost me Β£40, is that enough? No, I need to pay iLok some more. And why should I buy insurance? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't iLoks come with a warranty? This is a scam.
The iLok does come with a warranty. What you pay extra for are ways to keep working while the warranty issue is resolved...or if you have an issue that's not covered by warranty, like loss or theft, while that issue is resolved.

If you buy a piece of hardware, and it breaks under warranty, you can typically get it repaired at not charge. You may or may not have the option to get that processed rushed for an extra fee. That doesn't make it a scam.

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would choose to buy a plugin that requires an iLok,
Maybe because it's a plugin that they like? Or that they need?

Or maybe they use a current version of Pro Tools, which as I understand it is a fairly popular platform.

And, as others have already mentioned...not everybody hates the iLok. It makes life easier for some people, especially if you work on multiple rigs or in multiple studios.
Old 28th September 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The system is really really les than ideal. Once upon a time, you could install your software on multiple computers and bring your iLok thumb drive with you for all your authorizations. You can't even do that anymore, so what's the point of the iLok? iBollocks is more like it!!
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➑️
The system is really really les than ideal. Once upon a time, you could install your software on multiple computers and bring your iLok thumb drive with you for all your authorizations. You can't even do that anymore, so what's the point of the iLok? iBollocks is more like it!!
Did I miss something, why can't you still do this today, i.e. have installs on multiple rigs and just bring the ilok for auths?
Old 29th September 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Some software such as PT10 will not let you do multiple installs... yet insist on still using the iLok.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #22
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➑️
Some software such as PT10 will not let you do multiple installs... yet insist on still using the iLok.
I have one copy of PT10 installed on laptop and desktop...iLok goes between them.

I have no idea where you've got this idea from, or how you think it's possible to stop someone installing software twice without some challenge/response code involved, but I can assure you in the case of PT10 it's not correct. 100% on that one!
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
I have one copy of PT10 installed on laptop and desktop...iLok goes between them.

I have no idea where you've got this idea from, or how you think it's possible to stop someone installing software twice without some challenge/response code involved, but I can assure you in the case of PT10 it's not correct. 100% on that one!
Yeah I agree have no idea what Ward is exactly referring to. Maybe the fact that PT now checks to make sure that you keep the iLok in? Ha use to be able to boot up PT then remove iLok. I see no issue in them changing this "loop hole". But doubt it is what Ward is referring to. Really have no idea either. Haven't ran into the problem described with any iLok plugin and we run most that are out there at my work.

Example of PT is not correct, as stated above.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
ambiguity's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It's not just the example of PT, that whole statement is a bunch of b.s.

Except the part about the system being less than ideal, that's quite true.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #25
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
I have one copy of PT10 installed on laptop and desktop...iLok goes between them.
Same here. One copy PT10. Home and work computers. The only added value in ilok.
Old 29th September 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm referring to the download version. You can't DL it and install it more than once. At least I couldn't . . .
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
  #27
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➑️
I'm referring to the download version. You can't DL it and install it more than once. At least I couldn't . . .
Login to your account, go to My Account -> Your Products.

Everything you have registered with Avid is there to download. I can even see PT8 LE downloads.

Even if for some reason you COULDN'T get into your own download account, there's no reason why you couldn't get an installer from someone else, and install it as many times as you like. There's nothing in a read-only installer to stop you installing it multiple times, and the iLok is the copy protection.

Not sure why this one is confusing you mate!
Old 30th September 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Ward Pike's Avatar
 
15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'll look into that. Thanks for the reply./
Old 30th September 2012
  #29
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
My iLok is collecting dust. I see no use for it.
But I can only call myself stupid for falling for their stupid game.
Old 24th October 2012
  #30
Here for the gear
 
cocobop's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have been using it between studios and on two computers at home with PT10


I see what the original poster is talking about. He should not have bought a replacement or spare unlesshe had the ZDT (so he can do it asap)
They are going to charge you $49 to get the new one up and running that they send you.
That is all you had to pay I know I have done it.

Transferring plugins is really expensive $25 each, but that is not what you do if you lost or broke yours. You do the $49 RMA process.

Transferring is for selling or setting up different Iloks for different uses.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump