Quantcast
iLok Ransom - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iLok Ransom
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Bought a new Pro Tools rig - took 5 hours to authorize all my Non ilok software.
Time spend authorizing 182 ilok licenses "0" hours
Lost billing time $500.00
I love ilok and wished all my software was on ilok!
Old 29th November 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Angry

I bought an iLok a couple of years ago. I didn't like the idea then but I had no idea how bad it would be.
My iLok stopped working tonight (light goes out right after being plugged in, tried on multiple pc's). I'm seeing that iLok will send me a "free" replacement iLok and charge me $50 for transferring my licenses and $23 for shipping for a total of $73 dollars. I thought, screw that, I'll just buy a new iLok for around $35. Then I found that iLok will charge me $50 to transfer my licenses whether or not it's one of their replacement iLoks or a newly purchased one. As the op stated, I feel like my licenses are being held for ransom! The only solution is to throw away my software that needs iLok and never, ever use software that needs it again. I'm so fricking angry right now. PoS company recharging to "transfer" my licenses. What a scam. Punishing the people who pay for software. What an incentive to make "different choices." It might cost me a couple hundred dollars for what I paid for the software and ilok but I'll contact every company and tell them I'm done. Wishfully thinking that if there's enough of us that someday they'll abandon this stupid practice. DAMN I'm angry right now!
Old 30th November 2016
Gear Maniac

After reading this thread Im glad I dont use iLok and never will. Thats insane. Modern american capitalism in action: how can we rape our client base for the largest amount of money, while providing the worst possible service, before they show up to our headquarters with a double barrell shotgun?

As consumers we let this happen :(
Old 30th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry, but you CAN remove registered programs from an iLok dongle, and put it on another one yourself with the iLok manager software (I'm upgrading mine from iLok 2 to 3...or skip the dongle and just use the software. Now, maybe it's different if the iLok manager can't read the dongle, but I've never had an issue, OR complaint about the iLok system.
Old 1st December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh ➡️
Sorry, but you CAN remove registered programs from an iLok dongle, and put it on another one yourself with the iLok manager software...
In my post I state that my iLok suddenly stopped working. According to what I found on ILOKS website it said that I would have to pay to have my license transferred if my dongle is broken. I would be extremely grateful if you could direct me to different information. I truly hope I'm mistaken in this matter
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…