Quantcast
Green Day Smashes Guitar Declares He's Not F-ing Bieber - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Green Day Smashes Guitar Declares He's Not F-ing Bieber
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyder boy ➑️
These guys are one of the most prolific bands in the the last 20 years. Their record (and grammy's) speak for it's self. And your accomplishments are?
I thought so...
And out of curiosity, what are your accomplishments compared to little Wayne? Thought so.

Only asking because in this post, you bad mouth him and the people who listen to his music:

https://gearspace.com/board/8282232-post47.html

If no one on this website was allowed an opinion unless they accomplished more than who they were writing about then this entire website would be empty.

Regards,
Frank
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
These guys are one of the most prolific bands in the the last 20 years. Their record (and grammy's) speak for it's self. And your accomplishments are?
I thought so...
Green Day
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➑️
And out of curiosity, what are your accomplishments compared to little Wayne? Thought so.

Only asking because in this post, you bad mouth him and the people who listen to his music:

https://gearspace.com/board/8282232-post47.html

If no one on this website was allowed an opinion unless they accomplished more than who they were writing about then this entire website would be empty.

Regards,
Frank
You are taking my point out of context, and this site is called gear slutz, not artist stutz. Or lack their of.
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You are taking my point out of context, and this site is called gear slutz, not artist stutz. Or lack their of.
Er...nope, I think he got your point completely and was perfectly in context. You attempted an ad hominem jibe about accomplishments and got it right back in your face. Welcome to the Moan Zone.

Like Frank said, if no-one was allowed to express an opinion other than those whose "accomplishments" were greater than the thing they were commenting upon, it would be pretty quiet round here.

As for Green Day, well yeah they're OK and I like some of their stuff, but it isn't exactly high art is it? Well enough executed, but pretty formulaic and predictable. Just your standard American post-punk/pop-rock middle of the road really.

Of course, under the circumstances, it's easy to see why the on-stage hissy fit and rehab thing looks like it could easily just be a PR exercise. And, as someone has already said, mission accomplished if that is, indeed, the case.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww ➑️

Of course, under the circumstances, it's easy to see why the on-stage hissy fit and rehab thing looks like it could easily just be a PR exercise. And, as someone has already said, mission accomplished if that is, indeed, the case.
The punk who cried wolf.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstreets ➑️

At this point if you smash your guitar onstage you are presenting yourself as an also-ran. It's been done at least as far back as the Who. It's old hat (yawn)..
Instrument destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go to around 1:40 to skip the unbearable version of Hound Dog.

Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray ➑️
Instrument destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go to around 1:40 to skip the unbearable version of Hound Dog.
Lawrence Welk is a never ending well of twisted, whacked entertainment I love the classic "One Toke Over the Line" clip, complete with Myron Floren introducing with his little cough.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Er...nope, I think he got your point completely and was perfectly in context. You attempted an ad hominem jibe about accomplishments and got it right back in your face. Welcome to the Moan Zone.

Like Frank said, if no-one was allowed to express an opinion other than those whose "accomplishments" were greater than the thing they were commenting upon, it would be pretty quiet round here.

As for Green Day, well yeah they're OK and I like some of their stuff, but it isn't exactly high art is it? Well enough executed, but pretty formulaic and predictable. Just your standard American post-punk/pop-rock middle of the road really.

Er, yes. I even said that I liked little Wayne when he was in the hot boys. My complaint was and is, that crap, I mean rap, sucks live because its not real talent. When you push start, and run around the stage yelling yea, yea, yea, for an hour, that's some real art there. It's nothing more than glorified karaoke. It's good on tape, sucks ass live.

And when is the last time a middle of the road band made it to Broadway?
They are far above average.
PR stunt? These guys sell millions every record, and sell out stadiums every tour.
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh no a guy in a rock band went on an angry rant and didn't toe the corporate line! Gaaaaaasp!!!
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➑️
FORTY? Dear man, he'll never see 40 again. He's pushing towards 50 now.
He's 40. We are the same age and grew up in the same scene. He lives about a mile away and is a really nice guy.
I've had the pleasure of working with billy joe on a couple of small projects.
I grew up seeing green day at gilman all the time. I even saw them at a pizza parlor!
I was never a huge fan of the band, but I appreciate what they do and love those guys as "hometown heroes"
Smashing stuff is super rock
N roll.
Having to go to rehab to make up for it is kinda lame. Very 2012 "it's
Not my fault. It's my dependency".
I wish in this case he had taken responsibility for his actions.
Rock was defanged around the 90s and will be a dead art for a long time.
Too bad you can't just be angry nowadays. Having to set a good example, etc is just depressing.
I miss being 17 at gilman and not giving a fxk about public opinion.
There is a great issue of Cometbus (punk zine) in which Aaron, the writer, is invite to tour Asia with Green Day.
He was their first roadie on the first van tours and he does a great job of tying the past and present together in a sympathetic way.
I don't listen to their music (I only ever had the first 7") but LONG LIVE GREENDAY!
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Never been a fan of GD as their music just grates on my ears for some reason. And I love Sex Pistols, Clash, Ramones, Iggy, etc. Just never liked that over-compressed, dynamically crushed and flat- line limited, more "modern" sound they seemed to lead the way with. I always hear them as more part of the problem. Just a personal opinion.

He/GD should have just kept playing until they physically forced them off the stage or turned their power off. That would have been more RnR and much cooler than whining at and obeying "the tele-prompter" down to the last minute. That **** came across lame, but seems to appropriately fit their MO.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i agree this looks like a pr stunt. that said i remember seeing green day in 94-95 and they were great, fell in love with them. this was at a 600 cap. club right before dookie took off. saw rancid for the first time around then at a car tinting warehouse to about 200 kids. i fell off following their careers as i got older but i still have a lot of respect for them.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Never been a fan of old fart sounding, dull, week, hippie crap from days gone by.
but what ever floats yur boat. Green day will still be selling millions and packing arenas for years to come.

I doubt billy is losing any sleep from what the haters think.

Just throw on American Idiot (the whole record) for a clinic on what a ALBUM should be. From sonic's to content, it's a masterpiece.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Never been a fan of old fart sounding, dull, week, hippie crap from days gone by.
but what ever floats yur boat. Green day will still be selling millions and packing arenas for years to come.
40 isn't old fart?

By rock standards, or punk standards ("punk", is there a bigger load?), I think that is one smelly decaying fart that forgot to die before it got old.

Not sure which hippies you're referring to, but many of them are doing pretty well regardless of haters.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray ➑️
40 isn't old fart?

By rock standards, or punk standards ("punk", is there a bigger load?), I think that is one smelly decaying fart that forgot to die before it got old.

Not sure which hippies you're referring to, but many of them are doing pretty well regardless of haters.
Proof is in the pudding. And no, it's not if you wear it well.
As if...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Don't write off the Beibs yet, he's pretty punk too.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth ➑️
Don't write off the Beibs yet, he's pretty punk too.

I like that song.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From Greeday's homepage:

NEWS
September 23, 2012

Billie Joe is seeking treatment for substance abuse. We would like everyone to know that our set was not cut short by Clear Channel and to apologize to those we offended at the iHeartRadio Festival in Las Vegas. We regretfully must postpone some of our upcoming promotional appearances.
Read more
Filed under:
Genera
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
???? - I would have thought that Static Age would have been a very appropriate song to follow a tirade about radio being ****. Unless this is a different version of Static Age we're talking about?
"dobrze mowi, polac mu" ;-) translation below

T?umacz Google
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wonder if Deadmau555 will go apesh*t on stage, declare 'I'm not David Guetta', and smash his modular synth.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➑️
I wonder if Deadmau555 will go apesh*t on stage, declare 'I'm not David Guetta', and smash his modular synth.

He should. I don't like his music but he certainly is no David Guetta.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➑️

heh haha!

Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth ➑️
Too young you mean.

PR Stunt. Green Day has been BS in my eyes since I saw them (see earlier post). Talented songwriter, great musician and great live just ditch the antics and pseudo politics.
Naw I have met them a few times, I am older for sure, not much but a tad.
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
More puking and wrecking things on stage from hasbeens!

Once known for a Don Henley cover, The Ataris gave this performance last night. Go figure a smaller punk band copying Green Day.

aaandd here's Gaga puking on stage. Following JB's lead.

You can't make this **** up.

Any bets on

a) Next weeks punk rock band that freaks out?

b) Next weeks pop star that pukes on stage?

I'll pick Sum 41 for getting loaded, Deryck throwing his back out again and crying in the streets over Chavril and I'll take Nicky Minaj for the puking.
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PR Stunt or not - music in general needs more politics, more cussing, and less apologizing. An other Jim Morrison causing riots and going up against the imaginary man sounds like fun. Otherwise might as all just wear Perry Como sweaters and behave like lounge lizards.

Kind of Meh on GD and the entire Punk Lite genre, but good music with a little activism is never a bad thing... and GD seems to have a light activist streak... good for them, now they just have to stop apologizing and owning their anger.
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
He looks like a bieber to me, or is that goober? Vomiting is the new nipple slip.
Old 10th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Funniest part of that is that he was barely strong enough to wield that guitar.
Old 10th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just throw on American Idiot (the whole record) for a clinic on what a ALBUM should be. From sonic's to content, it's a masterpiece.

+1 American Idiot was great!
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Personally, I don't care what Billie Joe Armstrong does with Justin Beiber. They're both consenting adults.
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A lot of you lot have a crazy distorted idea of what punk is. I have respect for Green Day, and their reaction was completely justified in my opinion, but they are nearly as far from punk as it gets.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…