Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 22nd September 2012
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?

I've noticed a lot of post you've made Jim are being deleted, what's up? You're contributions for upgrading the MCA SP-1, DAV BG-1 and GAP73 have been a great help but most of those post are gone now.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Deleted? That is a real shame... I can't stand when informative posts get deleted
Old 22nd September 2012
Jim had a really great post with pictures for upgrading a GAP73 and I was going to write up a bill of materials but now those post are gone.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jim Williams "upgrading" equipment means, him removing any colour or distortion from the signal path, in order to make the equipment sound as clean as possible. What's the point in buying a GAP73 or any other Neve inspired pre to later mod it (or upgrade it, if you like the word better) to make it sound clean ?!?!?

I really don't understand GS sometimes....
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, not cool!! I started modding my mics and I bought my Ross Martin converter thanks to him...put those posts back please!!!
Old 22nd September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciozzi ➑️
Jim Williams "upgrading" equipment means, him removing any colour or distortion from the signal path, in order to make the equipment sound as clean as possible. What's the point in buying a GAP73 or any other Neve inspired pre to later mod it (or upgrade it, if you like the word better) to make it sound clean ?!?!?

I really don't understand GS sometimes....
Maybe that sort of thing sounds better to some of us. It not like you can't change it back if you don't like it. And no one is forcing you to do what Jim recommends, he's just offering up his advice.

I personally like the fact that most the equipment I use is modified and personalized. I don't want to use what everyone else has, I want something different and unique. And Jim has helped me and many others accomplish that goal without breaking the bank.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Colour = noise ?

JW free information, help to kill a lot of noise on my pre73.

For me it is a great loss.

It's a shame losing the participation of a generous person.

Last edited by manzini; 22nd September 2012 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: break connection
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➑️
Maybe that sort of thing sounds better to some of us. It not like you can't change it back if you don't like it.

Sure, I'm just saying, if you like the Jim Williams' modded version better, maybe...you've picked the wrong pre to being with...
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Maybe that's that persons choice?
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I guess he was a bit too grumpy one too many times, and got whacked.
Old 22nd September 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
FWIW I also value Jim's many contributions over the years...

Chris
Old 22nd September 2012
I think Jim is deleting the post himself
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
well, the info said "deleted by Jim Williams"

He will have his reasons, only he knows.

If he is leaving gs, I want to thank all the information and assistance provided.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All your deleted post are belong to us.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Reasons to delete, hurting gs breakings threads ?

clearly angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➑️
All your deleted post are belong to us.
We will have to try to retrieve that information from archive.org
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Maybe the manufacturer requested he remove some info.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Jim has made informative, knowledgeable and entertaining posts; long may they continue.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Deleted by Nom Nom
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It makes me a little worried because I ordered the Jensen transformer he suggested for the GAP73 despite a few raised eyebrows about the suitability of the transformer for that application. I hope there's a simple explanation for the deletion.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights ➑️
It makes me a little worried because I ordered the Jensen transformer he suggested for the GAP73 despite a few raised eyebrows about the suitability of the transformer for that application. I hope there's a simple explanation for the deletion.
Well, we have to assume that people whose posts get removed from GS still do exist, at least theoretically.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➑️
I've noticed a lot of post you've made Jim are being deleted, what's up? You're contributions for upgrading the MCA SP-1, DAV BG-1 and GAP73 have been a great help but most of those post are gone now.
Yes, he is deleting the posts himself. I guess you pretty much can figure out whats going on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth ➑️
Maybe the manufacturer requested he remove some info.
Very unlikely, im inclined more towards the idea that Jim suddenly changed his mind about offering freebies to the community.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't think this is a profit motive thing--after all, for every person who does his own Jim-Williams-Inspired-Mod, 3 more probably want him to do it for them.

Curiously, he no longer accepts PMs either.
Audio X
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➑️
Yes, he is deleting the posts himself.
Only 10,400 to go...sayonara
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What?!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No manufacturer would want him to stop increasing demand for their products (they don't care if you mod it as long as you buy it first...in fact, it voids the warranty, so it's a double win for them).
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
How far can you delete posts? Most of the forums I visit have a limit, like a a few hours or even as much as a day. After that the post stays. If there is no limit to delete or edit posts I find that weird. Too easy to break threads or stealth edit. This is why I use quotes when replying directly to someone. This way they cant delete or edit their way out if theres a disagreement.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't think this is a profit motive thing--after all, for every person who does his own Jim-Williams-Inspired-Mod, 3 more probably want him to do it for them.

Who says its money issue? it might be he does not want to share anymore? seriously theres not realy any other motive to delete every post in that Gap pre thread
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is it possible that there's a liability issue with regards to the instructions?

Stepping on toes of advertisers?

Sheesh, there's going to be no one left.......
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➑️
Who says its money issue? it might be he does not want to share anymore? seriously theres not realy any other motive to delete every post in that Gap pre thread

Exactly. I saw him get grief in a couple of places lately where people were accusing him of pimping, i.e. BEING money motivated and other ****e, so I guess he just got tired of getting **** combined with regularly giving all his knowledge away for free on here. Can't really blame him.

So to you who know who you are....well done!! You have removed a superb source of kindly and randomly dispensed info for the rest of us. Nice work. Way to go.

Jim, thank you for all that info anyhow!!!! Pity you ended up feeling that way.....
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This sucks big time.

Could it have to do with the new mod kit (Williams/ Microphone Parts collaboration)?

But Jim, thanks for everything you gave in the past.

Henk
Closed
Topic: