Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams:

[...]
She ain't no Aretha, that's fer sure!

Just another pretty face (at least until her boyfriend hit her) that got signed on looks over talent.
[...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek ➡️

[...]
But his comment above is pretty disgusting for trivializing and joking about violence on women by men who should have their shrunken balls cut off and placed in a jar on a shelf somewhere.
[...]
Well, Jim shure as Hell ain't no friggin' Phil Spector.

THAT's fer DAMN sure!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➡️

What's the big deal!?

So Jim had one too many martinis in a Neve thread - GET OVER IT, PEOPLE!
This is the part where I say for the zillionth time that I didn't report that thread for deletion. Just asked for it to be split.

Then you come back and say it wasn't directed at me. Funny thing is, I don't see anyone else saying that what he did deserved him being removed, banned or deleted.

So…Who is this directed at?

You know what. I'm getting tired of being on this side. Apparently venting at straw men seems to be the way to go these days so I'm going to join you in a chorus of complaining to the imaginary peanut gallery.

HEY ALL <DELETED BY MODERATOR>. JIM DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG.

Stop reporting him to the moderators. Stop asking him to be banned.

And most importantly, stop deleting all of his posts!!!!!

Oh. Wait. None of that happened.

Who's next?

Ho Ho Ho

XOXOXOXOX
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
[...]
HEY ALL YOU IDIOTS.
[...]
Guilty as charged.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 ➡️
Guilty as charged.

heh - I guess I'm all the rest of the idiots.

Of course, we all know Jim can be ubergrumpy sometimes, as can I, and Slippy, and whotfever!

Young guys, old guys, we're ALL guilty! Being a punk doesn't have an age limit in either direction, last I checked...

I just worry that we're turning into such a sterile place, we'll be devoid of personality soon.

Every thread will be like reading Data monolog transcripts from Star Trek.

I'm just not sure that's the place where many of us want to be...?

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Hey, Kenny.

For the record, I do want to say that I think it's uncool to straight up crap on a company - especially, in a new product intro thread.

But we all slip up. I could see doing this if I had a beef with the company,
or if I really thought their gear was overvalued, or if I felt they were in any way misleading or unethical, etc.

And wouldn't you rather hear the truth, anyway?

Even as they're only words in someone else's opinion?

It's ONLY an opinion!

Granted, Jim is a knowledgeable guy, so his opinion carries more weight.

But in the end, users STILL have to decide for themselves.

And if product users are serious, they will thoroughly seek out - and no grumpy Jim, Sqye or Kenny will stop them.

I think this whole thing could have been handled so much better.

Mod deletes a few posts from offender with an infraction, perhaps, in worst case scenario - end of story.

Or Gear Proprietor contacts offender directly, and challenges him, and they work it out, etc.

But, I guess this IS a public forum, so, *sigh*...not always so neat and simple.

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I just worry that we're turning into such a sterile place, we'll be devoid of personality soon.

That will only happen if people like you and I (and many others) decide to take our balls (tee hee) and go away.

I see no evidence of Jim being banned or him telling his side of any story.

So we know nothing. So if you (or anyone else) has a solution to a problem we are still unaware of, I'm all ears.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

I guess we'll know soon enough - hopefully.

Jim doesn't seem to be posting on GS the last few weeks.

I only hope everything's cool with everyone.

After all - I love all my slutz.

And Jim has way too valuable a brain to not be around here for us. That would suck.

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Hey, Kenny.

For the record, I do want to say that I think it's uncool to straight up crap on a company - especially, in a new product intro thread.
Agreed.

Quote:
But we all slip up. I could see doing this if I had a beef with the company,
or if I really thought their gear was overvalued, or if I felt they were in any way misleading or unethical, etc.
I don't believe this was the case. His beef seemed to be with anyone who would make an expensive medium sized console. That it's too expensive and nobody needed it. And that you could make great recordings with much less.

Quote:
And wouldn't you rather hear the truth, anyway?
Of course. I just didn't think it needed to be in that thread. It's an esoteric item that appeals to a very small market. So as a resource (which GS is) it would be a real shame to see the announcement thread lead to a 5 page discussion on how this piece of equipment is unneeded. Especially when the person in question never even tried it.

As I've said, I bash gear all the time. But it's never a small company and it's never at a point where I feel I could hurt sales. It's like the difference between saying that Britney sucks or saying your little sister does. Britney will do fine without my endorsement.
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The only post I like to read is stuff from Jim and Bob Olhsson, who are probably the most opinionated guys on here.

same here
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelang68 ➡️
The only post I like to read is stuff from Jim and Bob Olhsson, who are probably the most opinionated guys on here.

same here
So now it should be even easier.

Just go to Bob's profile, search all his posts and enjoy.

Seriously. That guy should write a book.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
Just because you've got a chip on your shoulder with me, doesn't mean I don't keep a very open mind...

Fwiw, I spent a good 1/2hr helping out a random GSer last night on Skype, solving their routing issues. So I don't think I'm the biggest waste of space on here.
No, sir I certainly don't have a chip on my shoulder toward you. Hell, I've asked you for help with PT since I don't use it that often(been with Steinberg since 95) and you helped me. And I appreciate the help. And I most certainly don't think your a waste of space. I've seen you help many. I've also seen you spout venom for no reason, same as Jim. Your advise and expertise holds far more weight without the senseless cuts .i.e Geoff T, Paul Frindle so on. I'm in no position to tell anyone how to behave, and I'm not trying to tell you. This is simply an observation. I think Jim went way out of his way to help folks and try to teach on the tech side which is so valuable. To say he has no right to comment on mixing seems a bit harsh. What is gear for if not to use to produce music? I personally couldn't care less what his credits are recording wise, his wisdom concerning audio is priceless. By the way, his name is well known outside of this site. I know techs in my area that don't come here to GS that do know of Jim and his mods and have learned from him. He doesn't need GS but this community certainly benefits from him. Be a shame to lose him because of silly **** such as bickering.
Audio X
Quote:
I just didn't think it needed to be in that thread.
If you don't like what someone has to say about a product or anything, there is the "ignore" function. You can also usually find one of these in your brain.

Ya, I already know what you are going to say...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X ➡️
If you don't like what someone has to say about a product or anything, there is the "ignore" function. You can also usually find one of these in your brain.
Nah. I reserve the "ignore" function for posters with nothing to add.

Welcome to mine.

BTW - If you'd like to explain to me the down side in having that thread spilt, I'd love to hear it.

Always willing to learn and do better next time.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer ➡️
No, sir I certainly don't have a chip on my shoulder toward you. Hell, I've asked you for help with PT since I don't use it that often(been with Steinberg since 95) and you helped me. And I appreciate the help. And I most certainly don't think your a waste of space. I've seen you help many. I've also seen you spout venom for no reason, same as Jim. Your advise and expertise holds far more weight without the senseless cuts .i.e Geoff T, Paul Frindle so on. I'm in no position to tell anyone how to behave, and I'm not trying to tell you. This is simply an observation. I think Jim went way out of his way to help folks and try to teach on the tech side which is so valuable. To say he has no right to comment on mixing seems a bit harsh. What is gear for if not to use to produce music? I personally couldn't care less what his credits are recording wise, his wisdom concerning audio is priceless. By the way, his name is well known outside of this site. I know techs in my area that don't come here to GS that do know of Jim and his mods and have learned from him. He doesn't need GS but this community certainly benefits from him. Be a shame to lose him because of silly **** such as bickering.

Agreed. Great post.

This is all I'm saying. We're all human, and we all have opinions - and many of them are STRONG, just like our personalities - which makes this place GREAT. Let''s PLEASE try not to squash this TOO MUCH because of sales considerations, etc. - is all I'm saying.

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:

heh

Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

Quote:
Agreed.

I don't believe this was the case. His beef seemed to be with anyone who would make an expensive medium sized console. That it's too expensive and nobody needed it. And that you could make great recordings with much less.

Of course. I just didn't think it needed to be in that thread. It's an esoteric item that appeals to a very small market. So as a resource (which GS is) it would be a real shame to see the announcement thread lead to a 5 page discussion on how this piece of equipment is unneeded. Especially when the person in question never even tried it.

As I've said, I bash gear all the time. But it's never a small company and it's never at a point where I feel I could hurt sales. It's like the difference between saying that Britney sucks or saying your little sister does. Britney will do fine without my endorsement.

I agree with much of what you're saying here.

And I think Jim is a valuable poster, and I hope he sticks around!

Cheers, y'all!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Welcome to mine.

BTW - If you'd like to explain to me the down side in having that thread spilt, I'd love to hear it.

Ignore Buttons are like using swears at someone: you use them when you don't have an intelligent response or opinion that can actually stand up on its own legs.

I thought this thread was about people picking on Jim Williams. Kenny G, why do you keep trying to make it about people picking on you?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I thought this thread was about people picking on Jim Williams. Kenny G, why do you keep trying to make it about people picking on you?
Nah. I don't feel picked on at all.

I feel that people are picking on a "fictitious being" that got his or her feelings hurt and got Jim Williams banned from Gearslutz.

That didn't happen. Jim left and we don't know why. But, for some reason, most people are assuming it's because he was chased away by people that were offended by his "character". I see no evidence of that.

All we have is Slippy's post (which I really doubt would chase Jim away) and my recommendation that a thread be re-organized.

It's the classic situation of people having a rant in their head and searching for the moment to use it.
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ignore Buttons are like using swears at someone: you use them when you don't have an intelligent response or opinion that can actually stand up on its own legs.
Nope they are used to ignore people you don't want listen to and in my opinion it is very well named button... in the outside world you wouldn't respond to every stupid, misinformed or aggressive comment shouted at you - I just ignore people I dont have time for and avoids a lot of pointless arguments... The ignore button is like a tinterweb version, try it on me if ya like :D
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
they are used to ignore people you don't want listen to and in my opinion it is very well named button...
I agree. But it just doesn't apply here. Jim did nothing that needed to be "ignored". It needed to be "redirected" IMHO.
Audio X
Quote:

Quote:

Welcome to mine.
See.. I was right !!!

Quote:

How would you have liked it split?

One thread for the console and one for you and Jim going at it.

I didn't know you could put in special orders.... like Micky D's

Quote:
Jim did nothing that needed to be "ignored". It needed to be "redirected".
Are you a mod?

Ignore.........
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

How would you have liked it split?

One thread for the console and one for you and Jim going at it.
Would that have been a bad thing?

I don't see you "ignoring" the moan zone.

Quote:

I didn't know you could put in special orders.... like Micky D's
Obviously not. The thread wasn't split.

Quote:

Are you a mod?
Yeah. But I'm undercover. Don't tell anyone.

Quote:
Ignore.........
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I agree. But it just doesn't apply here. Jim did nothing that needed to be "ignored". It needed to be "redirected" IMHO.
Wasn't referring to the OP (as is my tendancy ), just thought what was said about the ignore button was nonsense
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
Wasn't referring to the OP (as is my tendancy ), just thought what was said about the ignore button was nonsense
Yes and no. Some people use the ignore function without bragging to others or rubbing it in the poster's face. Others don't. I only said it to "Audio X" for humor purposes. He's not on my list.
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes and no. Some people use the ignore function without bragging to others or rubbing it in the poster's face. Others don't. I only said it to "Audio X" for humor purposes. He's not on my list.
I have no list but Ignore buttons are ubiquitous with online forums, I wasn't commenting on the debate here at all. But I've managed to insert myself into the debate here anyway so gonna duck out, would rather chat on the CLA thead
Audio X
Quote:
I don't see you "ignoring" the moan zone.
Gear is boring..

All I know is.. and I learned this from Kenny.. is if you put one of these after your sentence you're all good.

We'll let Jim in on that when he decides to come back.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky ➡️

recept

Raistlin vs Fistandantilus

Nice!

jB
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Gear is boring..

All I know is.. and I learned this from Kenny.. is if you put one of these after your sentence you're all good.
hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

< MOD EDIT - crashing the app!! >
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Gear is boring..

We'll let Jim in on that when he decides to come back.
Freaking spot on
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Kenny..

Relax dude.
We SEE you
Closed
Topic: