Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jim said this about Rhianna shortly after she was brutally beaten and hospitalized:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
She ain't no Aretha, that's fer sure! Just another pretty face (at least until her boyfriend hit her) that got signed on looks over talent.

Like THAT's never happened!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

I don't know the guy, haven't had any need of his 'modding' services. Maybe he's good at it, who cares.

But his comment above is pretty disgusting for trivializing and joking about violence on women by men who should have their shrunken balls cut off and placed in a jar on a shelf somewhere.

The opinion of someone who thinks this kind of humor funny really isn't worth it's weight in **** in my book. I'll let his words speak for themselves.
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I *really* appreciated Jim's technical information.

PCM4222EVM
$79 DAC
Alpha TwinAx wire

Just a few of the things I wouldn't have known of without him freely sharing info.

Jokes, banter, social commentary, and sparring - ymmv. But, that's not why I'm here on GEARslutz - his technical information was was something I'd always take into consideration.

Again, thanks Jim for the info!
Old 4th October 2012
Wow, I didn't think this post would get so much traction...

I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings that Jim said you wasted your money on a $50,000 8 channel Neve console, or that a Neve VR isn't great stock, or that he doesn't like API's and Distressor's. I get it. It's like politics. Someone disagrees with you so you call them an idiot. But, just like FOX News or MSNBC you can change the channel or ignore it. Jim is just offering up an opinion. You don't have to take it as personal attack.

But, Jim actually gave you information for free to improve your gear if you are willing to play around with them, even though he makes his living doing just that. You're not being forced to do it, but at least he's sharing some knowledge that if you are dissatisfied with your gear, there's something you can try to do to make it better instead of throwing it on Craigslist. Jim's never done anything like that. I've contacted him a bunch about fixing and modifying gear but he's never once said "sell it and buy my preamp" He's not a gear pimp or a shady dude...heck ever piece of gear I've sent him has been turned around in 10 days or less. How many horror stories have you read about people waiting months, or YEARS to get their gear back from a tech?

Anyway, I think I'll probably take my ball and go home too. The only post I like to read is stuff from Jim and Bob Olhsson, who are probably the most opinionated guys on here.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek ➡️
Jim said this about Rhianna shortly after she was brutally beaten and hospitalized:

I don't know the guy, haven't had any need of his 'modding' services. Maybe he's good at it, who cares.

But his comment above is pretty disgusting for trivializing and joking about violence on women by men who should have their shrunken balls cut off and placed in a jar on a shelf somewhere.

The opinion of someone who thinks this kind of humor funny really isn't worth it's weight in **** in my book. I'll let his words speak for themselves.
I love Jims posts.. But lets face it.. he is not a A&R person. He is a Tech Geek.. Very good at that... but that does not make music. FYI Rihanna is actually a amazing artists.. If you heard her sing in front of you you would snap! I remember when I made a comment about Ship Shapes sound of Marron 5, It was taken totally the wrong way.. I was just unhappy with digital sound..NOT MIKE SHIPLEYS work.. But thats the problem with internet typed words.. Sometimes you don't get someones total meaning.. ..Actually I think Mike Shipley is one of the top 5 engineers in the world..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Horror!
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
but I wouldn't miss the opinionated irrelevance that peppered half his comments.
Kettle, meet black
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo ➡️

FYI Rihanna is actually a amazing artists.. If you heard her sing in front of you you would snap!
That's actually 1000% true. She gets taken down a peg because she's beautiful but she is an amazing singer.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
With all due respect, I do find it odd to read all the commentary about an action or situation that nobody seems to know WTF happened.

The "Jim is a great guy and doesn't deserve to be treated like this" posts only make sense if we know how he was treated or why he's gone. Right?
If one ignores WTF happened before this thread and only looks at the derogatory comments in this thread, it would be enough to drive some people away. Regarding the why, what makes you think he'd be expected to give those details? Participation is not required, nor are reasons for avoidance.

People whining about the grumpy old man aspect or his comments about Rhianna seem to think that the Internet is a place where happy harmony and social etiquette are the norm. I'm not excusing rude behavior but that's not the Internet I know. Put it this way, I've read hundreds of Jim's posts and none have offended me. The Internet has raised my threshold and compressed my expectations - besides, I have had one-on-one dealings with Jim and he's been a total pro. Mucho respect.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea ➡️
If one ignores WTF happened before this thread and only looks at the derogatory comments in this thread, it would be enough to drive some people away.
When you make critical opinionated statements on a forum, some people are going to like you for it. Others, not as much. He seems to have made more friends than enemies by my count and if anything, this thread has upped his credibility IMHO.

Quote:
Regarding the why, what makes you think he'd be expected to give those details?
He's not. But we seemed to be taking sides on an issue we don't know exists.

Quote:
Participation is not required, nor are reasons for avoidance.
Not positive what you mean here but "not knowing" what happened or why he deleted his posts might be a good reason to "avoid" jumping to conclusions or assigning blame.

Quote:
People whining about the grumpy old man aspect or his comments about Rhianna seem to think that the Internet is a place where happy harmony and social etiquette are the norm. I'm not excusing rude behavior but that's not the Internet I know. Put it this way, I've read hundreds of Jim's posts and none have offended me. The Internet has raised my threshold and compressed my expectations -
I don't think it's that these other posters were offended but more that some people fear other "credible" people being chased away by rude behavior. As I said, I have no affiliation with Rubert Neve or his console but I would find it incredibly rude to have my products bashed in their announcement thread by someone who has never even tried them.

Quote:
besides, I have had one-on-one dealings with Jim and he's been a total pro. Mucho respect.
And that explains the loyalty. Nothing wrong with that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
With all due respect, I do find it odd to read all the commentary about an action or situation that nobody seems to know WTF happened.

The "Jim is a great guy and doesn't deserve to be treated like this" posts only make sense if we know how he was treated or why he's gone. Right?
We'll just fix it in the mix!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not positive what you mean here but "not knowing" what happened or why he deleted his posts might be a good reason to "avoid" jumping to conclusions or assigning blame.
I'm certainly not assigning blame and am not even worried about it. I do trust those that claim he's deleted posts and don't pretend to know the why. If I find something on a forum that I consider really valuable, I'll capture it one way or another because the content these sites can't be counted on to last forever.

Quote:
And that explains the loyalty. Nothing wrong with that.
Loyalty is a bit strong. I'm just documenting the history and my opinions. If he's gone, that's his choice. I'm still here, unperturbed by these events but having survived Usenet, it's difficult to overload my limiter. I have benefited from Slipperman's posts and yours too, so I see no need to take sides.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek ➡️

Exactly, he is not only an inocent guy who criticize vintage circuit design like 12ax7 mentions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Come back Jim
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Loyalty is a bit strong. I'm just documenting the history and my opinions. If he's gone, that's his choice. I'm still here, unperturbed by these events but having survived Usenet, it's difficult to overload my limiter. I have benefited from Slipperman's posts and yours too, so I see no need to take sides.
Agreed. And to be clear, I'm not taking sides either. I'd prefer to have Jim Williams stay on as a member and share his knowledge. While I did find him to be grumpy and opinionated at times, it's nothing that requires banning, outcasting or reprimanding.

All the best.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Best to you too, Kenny.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➡️
...The only post I like to read is stuff from Jim and Bob Olhsson, who are probably the most opinionated guys on here.
the difference being that Bob actually makes records, and you know what they are so may judge his words accordingly.
GSF
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Come back Jim!
Old 4th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➡️
the difference being that Bob actually makes records, and you know what they are so may judge his words accordingly.
I don't go to Jim for advice on how to make records, I go to him for advice on op amps. I actually find Bob's thought on how to use dither properly the most helpful. Information like that is a lot more helpful than "we put a KM86 on everything"

I've sort of learned that the gear isn't that important, it's what you put in front of it. A $100 in front of a good musician with a quality instrument is going to sound a lot better than a C12 on an Epiphone guitar played by a high schooler.

And Kenny I didn't direct anything towards you...sorry if you thought I did. I don't think Jim left because of something you said, he just probably got tired of the forum.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

And Kenny I didn't direct anything towards you...sorry if you thought I did. I don't think Jim left because of something you said, he just probably got tired of the forum.
My apologies as well. I deleted my response.

Thanks
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I bet if we all start up a chorus of "Kumbaya," he'll hear us wherever he is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A $100 in front of a good musician with a quality instrument is going to sound a lot better than a C12 on an Epiphone guitar played by a high schooler.
Depends on the High Schooler. I've got one here at home that can wail on an Epiphone.

But I know what you mean, and I agree.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've been on these forums for many many years. Along with Slippy and Jim Williams. If any of us had a "thin" skin, we would have left many moons ago.

Don't know why Jim took his ball and went home, but I'd be surprised if it was because of anything Slippy said. Slippy enjoys the battle. Don't think he meant anything by it and Jim can certainly dish it out. I'd be surprised to hear that he couldn't take it.

All the best.

kenny
Slippy actually likes Jim, he told me it was all for fun.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted ➡️
Slippy actually likes Jim, he told me it was all for fun.
It's always for fun with Slippy. That's why he's the best. You can't make him mad. You can only make him funnier.

And that's why he calls it the InterNot.
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Audio X
Quote:
Agreed. And to be clear, I'm not taking sides either. I'd prefer to have Jim Williams stay on as a member and share his knowledge. While I did find him to be grumpy and opinionated at times, it's nothing that requires banning, outcasting or reprimanding.
Says the guy who reported him
Quote:
This might be (partially) my fault.

I reported Jim for his part in this thread:

Rupert Neve 5088--eight channel board
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
I bet if we all start up a chorus of "Kumbaya," he'll hear us wherever he is.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X ➡️
Says the guy who reported him
Says the guy who was born without reading comprehension.

It is possible to ask the mods to split a thread without also expecting Jim to run away with his posts in hand?
Old 5th October 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer ➡️
Kettle, meet black
I was waiting for that. From you, as it happens.

I'm opinionated, sure. But I don't reply to threads like "what's the best vocal tuning plug-in?" with "never tune vocals - its wrong and if you don't agree you're a moron". I paraphrase of course, but that's the attitude.

Just because you've got a chip on your shoulder with me, doesn't mean I don't keep a very open mind when it comes to production techniques and so on. I never let my musical taste interfere with technical advice, which is my primary problem with JW's attitude to others.

I also don't make out like I'm some tech guru when I spend most of my time recording, which is the reason I struggle to take JW's recording "advice" seriously.

If he stuck to mod advice, and didn't try to make out like he'd recorded Stevie wonder's greatest hits (see slipperman quoted post above), I'd have nothing but respect for him.

Fwiw, I spent a good 1/2hr helping out a random GSer last night on Skype, solving their routing issues. So I don't think I'm the biggest waste of space on here.
Old 5th October 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➡️
+1. Plus I wouldn't call bob opinionated at all - knowledgable yes, but I've never seen him say "you shouldn't do that" for reasons of taste instead of technique.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
+1. Plus I wouldn't call bob opinionated at all - knowledgable yes, but I've never seen him say "you shouldn't do that" for reasons of taste instead of technique.
I agree. I wouldn't lump Bob in with Jim Williams at all.

For instance, there's a thread around here somewhere where I say that the Shure SM7b sucks. That's opinionated. Saying something strongly (while meaning it) but putting more emphasis to almost be shocking.

Something I've never watched Bob O. do.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thumbs down

Awww, Jim?......Say it ain't so, dude!

From one grumpy old man to another, we need ya here, bro!

Don't let these c*cksuckeurz get to yuh, dude.

God, what happened to this place?

Doesn't ANYONE have any freeking BAALZ any more??

What's the big deal!?

So Jim had one too many martinis in a Neve thread - GET OVER IT, PEOPLE!

This happens to some of the best of us.

And ironically, I find it interesting that some of the folks here most critical of Jim
are not exactly the ones with zipped up flies themelves, if you know what I mean.

If you don't like someone, IGNORE THEM. Who cares!

Get a life!

This place is turning into the freeking Disney Channel, fer chrissakes!

It used to be musicians with attitudes, personality and VIBE!

Now, we're just a bunch of smoke-free ones and zeros with no dancing, drinking or loud music.

Are you guys REALLY that willing to sell the soul of the entire industry for a few more freeking GS gigs?

God, who's running this freeking place....Mike Bloomberg???

Yikes!

Closed
Topic: