Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 3rd October 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wow GS is literally the Days of Our Lives of the audio industry lol.

"Like sands through the hourglass.. So are the Gears of Our Lives"

Now... Who's up for some null tests? George?
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Truth?

When someone is attacked because of their english something is wrong..
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
WOW I suddenly don't feel so bad for occasionally coming of like a ******! I really think conveying opinions and thoughts in a "typed" manor is an art. If we were standing in the room the conversation would be very different all around.

Getting misunderstood is very easy and who the hell is who... We virtually know nothing about each other, the ultimate gory hole.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just to make it VERY clear!
I have NO beef with anyone on this forum.

But I have followed Jim Williams for years.
To see him treated like this just bugs me.

There are to many sensitive people on the internet..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Haze ➑️
the ultimate gory hole.
Oh, dear... now I can't stop laughing...

🎧 15 years
Did JW claim in that post that "if you've heard Zappa, Wonder etc you've heard my work"?!

Is he claiming engineering credits, or just that they've used some of his modded gear?

'cos like, them's 2 very different things.
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
dunno if someones suggested it but.... way back machine?? surely all his posts are intact there
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What's cool about "the internot", is it gives a chance to those behind the scenes, engineers and the like, a chance to be ego-maniacal prima donna rock stars, which is what most, or many, probably really wanted to be.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Overall, without everyone feeling the need to slay the guy, I think the point is that I(many of us) have learned a lot from him just from here alone and whether I(we) had to learn to take certain things he said with a grain of salt(none of it ever bothered me one bit), I still valued other things more about him. He and I communicated a few times via email about modifying things I own, I've even spoken over the phone with him a couple times and lemme tell you, whatever you think of him on here, is not how he is at all in person or personally.

I respect him, his outlook and mindset about equipment and gear even though he prefers transparency over colour.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Richardson ➑️
Who the hell said he's a grumpy 'ol man! See how grumpy he is when i send my avitar to him for some treatment instead of the master sections he normally has to receive!!!
Mark You your avatar has a nice ass. Especially for a grumpy old man GT.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
$.02 from a dumb folksinger who hangs, lurks, and on occasion voices a pretty unqualified opinion--

I always liked JWs posts. he was informative and never meaner than I thought he needed to be. Old men get grumpy because young folks think they invented the world, and us old guys know it's been here all along. Not audio chops here, just general grind of life. Slipperman is a really smart, talented dick. If he was a folk guy, I'd miss him.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray ➑️
What's cool about "the internot", is it gives a chance to those behind the scenes, engineers and the like, a chance to be ego-maniacal prima donna rock stars, which is what most, or many, probably really wanted to be.

Starting with a bunch of moderators...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat ➑️
$.02 from a dumb folksinger who hangs, lurks, and on occasion voices a pretty unqualified opinion--

I always liked JWs posts. he was informative and never meaner than I thought he needed to be.

"What's cool about "the internot", is it gives a chance to those behind the scenes, engineers and the like, a chance to be ego-maniacal prima donna rock stars, which is what most, or many, probably really wanted to be."

Let's all sing Cover of the Rolling Stone together in honor of us all.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer ➑️
Starting with a bunch of moderators...
You don't like it...you don't have to play!
Lives for gear

for people like me, who like toying with electronics, Jim's posts were really informative. the guy gave away free information if you had the gull to operate on your own equipment. so he didn't like colour, and you do. there's a simple answer, don't do his mods.

personally i see a few places in my signal chain where a clinical sound would be perfect if that's indeed what you say he does, and he may.

and i mean, this is like, the internet people. way to serious.

i don't feel we should push anybody off this forum. (trolls and troublemakers excluded) occasionally there's a good piece of information or two.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams

Somewhere in a past post I must have wrote something that got Slipperman's goat. Why else would someone call another out without a direct reply or mention? What ever it was, it was enough to drive Slipperman to never miss a chance to attempt to criticize me or my work. Yes, it seems personal, but I have thick skin and couldn't care less. I'll leave it to the readership to decide why. I have work to do.
I've been on these forums for many many years. Along with Slippy and Jim Williams. If any of us had a "thin" skin, we would have left many moons ago.

Don't know why Jim took his ball and went home, but I'd be surprised if it was because of anything Slippy said. Slippy enjoys the battle. Don't think he meant anything by it and Jim can certainly dish it out. I'd be surprised to hear that he couldn't take it.

All the best.

kenny
Old 4th October 2012
Deleted User
It's like the old song goes: "You don't know what you got till it's gone." Jim is amazingly generous with his knowledge.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case ➑️
It's like the old song goes: "You don't know what you got till it's gone." Jim is amazingly generous with his knowledge.
Yes Jim knows his stuff, but people, there are by far better contributions than Jim's, he always belittled other people and anything that didnt fit his own way of thinking (and im not talking only about gear here).

His posts were more about stating arguments to discredit something rather than a way to improve it, even if he mentioned how to improve it his advice was generally vague and superficial, with some exceptions of course. He rarely cared about helping other people, but rather on how to tell them "their stuff sucks".

On the other hand, guys like John Roberts, Lotus 7, Matt Syson and Brian Roth offer great USEFUL advice, without discrediting everything, without the sarcasm and the pedantry, and in my opinion they are not getting the credit they deserve.
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe he's on vacation? Unless I missed something. When did he ever say he was leaving? He probably deleted those posts because he runs a biz modding equipment (I assume) what's the big deal? I'm sure he'll be back.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe he's in rehab, maybe he's lost in Costco, maybe he just got a new dog and has to walk him a lot, maybe he's on a wilderness trip modifying some trees so they don't make no noise when the wind it blows, maybe he's got some new trim and realized that having some new trim is better than just about anything. At any rate, it's a trip to see all the speculating in this thread. His new shorty probably has him tied up and gagged with a ping pong ball and is making him read all this ****e as she whips him with a length of pure silver wire and showers him with crushed up burnt toast crumbs.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago ➑️
Maybe he's in rehab, maybe he's lost in Costco, maybe he just got a new dog and has to walk him a lot, maybe he's on a wilderness trip modifying some trees so they don't make no noise when the wind it blows, maybe he's got some new trim and realized that having some new trim is better than just about anything. At any rate, it's a trip to see all the speculating in this thread. His new shorty probably has him tied up and gagged with a ping pong ball and is making him read all this ****e as she whips him with a length of pure silver wire and showers him with crushed up burnt toast crumbs.
i like this theory. im going all in on this one.
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
"Gentleman. You can't fight here. This is the WAR room!"- from Dr. Strangelove.

Chris
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago ➑️
.....maybe he's lost in Costco.....
LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin ➑️
There was an epic battle between Slipperman and JW involving a soldering iron and Amek console. It was a battle of the ages. Only one came out a victor.

recept
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Babiak ➑️
I meant Creed's number.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
An observation: JW certainly has lots of knowledge, experience and wisdom. But there was a name-dropping aspect to a lot of his posts which bothered me a bit. Yes, he may have worked on John Mc Laughlin's and Zappa's guitars but is it necessary to mention this constantly and use it as an argument to almost ridicule others with different opinions?

And I notice that often those Slutz that act the most macho, sarcastic and self-assured are the ones that often have the thinnest skin when it comes to disagreeaments. Taking stuff personally which is mostly just a different opinion about something.

Just like in real life.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

</thread>
Deleted User
Jim knows his stuff. He happens to have had some remarkable interactions with some remarkable people. Lucky for us, he's been willing to share some of his stories. Kinda cool to know what happened to the Monterey Pop Strat....

He doesn't suffer fools and is not shy about expressing his beliefs. He is a generous man and has done many of us on this board more than a few good turns.

Ask yourself how many times you've seen a post by someone in a pickle and thought to yourself, "man, Jim's gonna be all over this".... and he was. He's a good guy. He's confident and has earned the right to be.

I have spoken to him quite a few times and had him work on my gear. He's thorough, fair and, in my experience, eminently reliable.

He has been (hopefully is) an asset and resource on this board.
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➑️

Yes Jim knows his stuff, but people, there are by far better contributions than Jim's, he always belittled other people and anything that didnt fit his own way of thinking (and im not talking only about gear here).

[...]
Well, the difference is that most of Jim's better contributions were usually very specific, and often included real and practical information as to how to actually accomplish things.

..And although he often exhibited an attitude that annoyed many, he still usually kept to some semblance of a standard of professionalism that is pretty damn rare in these parts.

Yeah, I can certainly understand how some folks might take an immediate dislike to the guy, but WTF; what the hell does it cost ya to read something ya don't like?

Seriously, folks; it's only a damn post on the internet.

If ya really wanna get upset about something, there's plenty of stuff out there to get upset about:

Hell, there's people out there posting truly evil stuff about the avocation of hanging people by their thumbs (and dancing to their squeals) just because they happened to have been born with the "wrong" DNA!

I mean, even if he was a little rude about it, think our skin oughta be thick enough to put up with some guy who just might criticize the circuit design of a classic piece of gear, fer cryin' out loud!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
With all due respect, I do find it odd to read all the commentary about an action or situation that nobody seems to know WTF happened.

The "Jim is a great guy and doesn't deserve to be treated like this" posts only make sense if we know how he was treated or why he's gone. Right?
Closed
Topic: