Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 24th September 2012

slipperman is still around. hohoho. he deleted a lot of his old posts ****

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Maybe Slipperman and Jim Williams are sitting together somewhere reminiscing about their favorite heavy metal albums.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciozzi ➑️
Jim Williams "upgrading" equipment means, him removing any colour or distortion from the signal path, in order to make the equipment sound as clean as possible. What's the point in buying a GAP73 or any other Neve inspired pre to later mod it (or upgrade it, if you like the word better) to make it sound clean ?!?!?

I really don't understand GS sometimes....
Yeah, trust me when I say that no matter what mods you do to the GAP circuit, you are going to have some coloration and and distortion anyways. These are all part of the old Class A amplifier (s) used.

If anything, the mods Jim was recommending would have resulted in the box sounding more like a Neve. Ever really put a Neve and a GAP side by side and a/b'd the two? Really listened? Measured even?

IMHE the first GAP (not sure about the second haven't heard them) sounded WAY grainier, not nearly as smooth and clear on top, and were a good bit noisier. There were maybe more similarities than not, but still, that last 15-20% is a big deal if you ask me. So removing a little bit of distortion, ringing, overshoot, and erm...."color" (colour) was a good thing.

As far as him deleting the posts? Copy and paste man. If you see the info, grab it while he was feeling generous enough to put it out there.

Also have to remember, the guy pays his bills and eats from what his knowledge of electronic circuit design affords him. Free info is very generous of him, and should not be taken for granted at all. Not from Jim, or anybody else.

Maybe the guy was having a slump in incoming jobs. Who freaking knows.

I cannot blame him for a minute.

I can give one analogy, where I can totally see his point of view, if that was the case.

About 7-8 years ago, I started getting calls from clients saying things like:
"Hey man, we want to come in and do a project. Thing is, we ain't got no money. So, we want to track gtrs, vox, and keyboards here at our place, and do the drums and mix at yours."

OK...no biggie, but here's the kicker:
"What do we need to buy so that we can do this?"

So, on the premise that these were long time clients, and maybe friends, I helped them. For nothing. Thinking well, they'll bring the thing in to finish here anyways, so, it's an investment I guess.

Then I started to get the tech support calls. The troubleshooting calls. Many were HOURS on the phone with these people getting anything from drivers to patchbays to soldering up cables sorted for them.

All of it was unbilled. The kicker?

Several never came in as promised.

This was a kick in the nutz I tell ya. Some of them I had a few 8 hour days into. All thanks to the "diy" daw revolution.

Thankfully, there has been a turn recently in the thinking that just having recording gear enables you to make a record. People are starting to understand that they are just tools, and skills that take years to develop are required to use those tools.

Anyway, I TOTALLY see where Jim is coming from. The guys rates are pretty freaking cheap as far as techs go. I ain't friends with him, but maybe use his services now and them (even if you know how to do the work yourself?) so he can freaking eat, and maybe he will post more free info?

Just saying, if you are looking for a reason why there is missing info, this may be it.

Also remember, many of his posts may just be there to show that he is capable of fixing the box, and to make the community aware that he can offer the mod as a service.

I don't know what his motivations were, but it was very generous to put any info at all out there regardless.

john
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo ➑️
I'm sure JW's technical contributions were huge.
I haven't spent money or time on modding my gear, so it had little impact on me.
I certainly will not miss his opinionated contributions, however.
I find his attitude to be a huge turn off, and one of the low spots of the whole forum.
It seemed, more often than not, that his aim was to be to snotty to those who's style or opinion he did not agree with.

Very condescending and dismissive.

So technically, I'm sure he'll be greatly missed.
But for me, culturally, not a bit.

His attitude on this forum alone guaranteed that I would never have spent money on his services.
If I ever need anything similar, I'll go far and wide to find an alternative.

FWIW.
I am glad you see Jim`s contributions were huge.
And I am sorry he made you so sad too.

We`ll live.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jim's knowledge base is incredible and I will miss him on this forum. He is someone who has an opinion (he likes clean sounding things) and it's always interesting to hear his point of view. He has also done great work for me. If some idiot made him mad and he left, that is a loss for this forum because he is certainly in the top 10 all time Gearslutz posters. I hope he has a change of heart and returns. Maybe if enough people tell him so, he will.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Master of Mods

"Jim Williams has spent much of his 56 years working with some of the biggest names in the music business, including Frank Zappa, John McLaughlin and Stevie Wonder. He's the owner of Audio Upgrades, where he sells his transparent High Speed Microphone Preamp and upgrades stock professional audio equipment - preamps, compressors, EQs, mixing boards, tape decks, signal processors and microphones. This work involves replacing op-amps, capacitors, direct-coupling audio paths and other sonic improvements. He's also involved in instrument amplifier design, and is helping with the return of the classic Rhodes electric piano."

excerpt from Tape Op Magazine, Issue 90, 2012
Tape Op Magazine > Articles > Interview > Jim Williams
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

I for one enjoy Jim Williams posts and I'm always curious to read his opinion on guitar stuff besides all the technical mod info he shares, I'd hate to see him leave the forum ...
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT ➑️
As far as him deleting the posts? Copy and paste man. If you see the info, grab it while he was feeling generous enough to put it out there.
Did anybody do this? I've just recently reached the honest (experience based) conclusion that I want more/different out of my two GAP pre's.

Unless he posts a reason, speculation is silly. You'd be just as well to figure that somethings have to go to give room for threads like "Dr. Luke's studio". In that case, it might as well be really good and generous information.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Real shame to lose a brain on the forum because of simple disagreements.

I read many a thread by him, though I rarely contributed. Technical threads are lurker threads, and often the only people contributing are those with dissenting views.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OK, a week gone.
By now someone should perhaps be able to tell us what happened.

Henk
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I find the sheer number of post on this topic odd. Mr. Williams is a knowledgable guy with very definite opinions and a personality that many find irritating, (myself included). He was here. Now he is not here. Time to move on....
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I love JW!

There. I said it.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato ➑️
OK, a week gone.
By now someone should perhaps be able to tell us what happened.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Point being?
Old 3rd October 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC ➑️
I find the sheer number of post on this topic odd. Mr. Williams is a knowledgable guy with very definite opinions and a personality that many find irritating, (myself included). He was here. Now he is not here. Time to move on....
Exactly.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Point being?
Nobody knows what happened. Might as well ask Creed. (Office reference)

BTW - Creed (Bratton) used to be in the Grass Roots.

Creed Bratton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Will do. Do you have his number?

Henk
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I believe it's "cucumber".
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Stop asking questions, people! Nothing is wrong. Nothing.
Lives for gear

91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The missing posts are evidence of quantum entanglement with a universe where Mr. Williams is a cheese-maker from Montepellier, France.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Henk
Audio Upgrades
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There was an epic battle between Slipperman and JW involving a soldering iron and Amek console. It was a battle of the ages. Only one came out a victor.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Babiak ➑️
I thought he meant Creed.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Good riddance to this crank.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin ➑️
There was an epic battle between Slipperman and JW involving a soldering iron and Amek console. It was a battle of the ages. Only one came out a victor.
Funny...

Quote:
Dear Slipperman,

You have received an infraction at Gearslutz.com.

Reason: Inappropriate Language
-------

-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
Gearslutz.com

Original Post:
https://gearspace.com/board/low-e...ml#post7632571
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
It's sort of funny, but I don't know who Slipperman is. I don't know him so I can't say if I would like him or not. It seems he knows me very well and doesn't like me, but as far as I know, we've never met. He probably has a real name too, but I don't know it. I use my real name here, just so everyone knows it's not someone else with a nice handle.

Probably he doesn't like the things I do and say, but that's just my day job.

I don't think I need to post record credits here, my work is well known. If you like Frank Zappa, Wonder, et al, you hear my work. If you need name dropping, look at the credits on my web site if you are curious, I don't think much about that stuff, too busy and I really don't care.

Somewhere in a past post I must have wrote something that got Slipperman's goat. Why else would someone call another out without a direct reply or mention? What ever it was, it was enough to drive Slipperman to never miss a chance to attempt to criticize me or my work. Yes, it seems personal, but I have thick skin and couldn't care less. I'll leave it to the readership to decide why. I have work to do.

Here is my now deleted response. I just gotta post it SOMEWHERE 'cause it was so much fun to compose... and I'd LIKE it to be public record in some unofficial sort of way.

Jim,

You have over 9,400 posts on GS alone since 2004.

You don't appear to be too busy to do ANYTHING.

Your preceding quoted serving of vague and obfuscatory non-statements cleanly demonstrates how you got caught with yer hand in the "false credits" cookie jar.

Again.

Ahh hell Jim... I admit it.

Personally, I take a perverse pleasure coming here on GS and lighting yer big bull****ting, DigiKey memorizing, chip and cap swapping EE ass up like the 4th of July, 'cause you talk a big f*cking game about something you've actually done LITTLE OR NOTHING in as a GAINFULLY EMPLOYED PROFESSIONAL... as far as I can tell after looking FAR AND WIDE.

That being: ACTUALLY MAKING RECORDS WITH ANY DEGREE OF PERSISTENCY FOR A LIVING.

Love to be PROVEN wrong on it. No. Really.

In the meantime.

Can't wait to see the SPECIFIC LIST.

And, once again... I actually Do, and have done, NOTHING but make records for nigh on thirty f*cking years.

Hundreds of them.

Hey... I don't care who believes me, or which one of your slew of Soundcraft modding sycophants shows up here to defend yer non-existent honor. Anybody can do the research on the internot and find out the truth(NO.... they probably shouldn't be checking out YOUR website for more oblique "has worked with" credit rhetoric.)

In the end:

Yer STILL at basecamp with a sterno stove, a snow tent, and a pair of expensive binoculars and a Mouser catalog you're also using as toilet paper.

Me? I'm on the mountain giving you the f*cking finger.

Adjust the focus on those Swarovskis. You'll see me.

Yeah!!! THAT'S ME! That's me waving my temperature shriveled dick at you!!!

'Cause EVERY TIME you open yer yipper about record making...

I KNOW fer CERTAIN... you don't LIVE UP HERE.

And with the weather conditions and all...

I CERTAINLY can't keep my dick out all day.

Now, I'm gonna go play my drums for 2 hours in the far iso both in my "b" room. Take a shower. Change, and show up a 15 minutes late for a 1pm session call... 'cause I blew 20 minutes handing you yer ass here.

The record, my 7th full length so far this year is coming out amazing. Hey. It ain't ME. The kids know how to artfully conceive and execute their own music. A dogmatic cactus like yerself wouldn't last an hour with this bunch. This is the third record they've made with guys who actually know what the f*ck they are doing. They'd kick yer goldbricking ass to the curb with a quickness.

News Flash: Stevie Wonder ain't the only guy who's been known to commit his shoe to somebody's ass.

SM.

PS. Just for the record. You DO know who I am. You, and that nitwit Ethan Wino pressured me into revealing as much. The thread is still there. Including yer posts. Unfortunately for you. The important bits have been QUOTED by other posters... So yer not gonna be able to clean up after the fact.

Flat out LIE enough on public record Jim. And yer gonna grab yerself.

Case in point.

Cue the Jim Williams high speed video op-amp diaper cleaning crew.

****. Now I'm 30 minutes late.

(end of GS post)

Anyhoo.

I wonder if that last "****"(****) that I didn't do the little "f*ck" censor trick on was the "inappropriate language"?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LOL. omg SM is hilarious.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Slipperman is the best!!!!!

XOXOXOXOX
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Originally Posted by imloggedin
Funny...

Quote:
Dear Slipperman,

You have received an infraction at Gearslutz.com.

Reason: Inappropriate Language
-------

-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

All the best,
Gearslutz.com

Original Post:
https://gearspace.com/board/low-e...ml#post7632571
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
It's sort of funny, but I don't know who Slipperman is. I don't know him so I can't say if I would like him or not. It seems he knows me very well and doesn't like me, but as far as I know, we've never met. He probably has a real name too, but I don't know it. I use my real name here, just so everyone knows it's not someone else with a nice handle.

Probably he doesn't like the things I do and say, but that's just my day job.

I don't think I need to post record credits here, my work is well known. If you like Frank Zappa, Wonder, et al, you hear my work. If you need name dropping, look at the credits on my web site if you are curious, I don't think much about that stuff, too busy and I really don't care.

Somewhere in a past post I must have wrote something that got Slipperman's goat. Why else would someone call another out without a direct reply or mention? What ever it was, it was enough to drive Slipperman to never miss a chance to attempt to criticize me or my work. Yes, it seems personal, but I have thick skin and couldn't care less. I'll leave it to the readership to decide why. I have work to do.

Here is my now deleted response. I just gotta post it SOMEWHERE 'cause it was so much fun to compose... and I'd LIKE it to be public record in some unofficial sort of way.

Jim,

You have over 9,400 posts on GS alone since 2004.

You don't appear to be too busy to do ANYTHING.

Your preceding quoted serving of vague and obfuscatory non-statements cleanly demonstrates how you got caught with yer hand in the "false credits" cookie jar.

Again.

Ahh hell Jim... I admit it.

Personally, I take a perverse pleasure coming here on GS and lighting yer big bull****ting, DigiKey memorizing, chip and cap swapping EE ass up like the 4th of July, 'cause you talk a big f*cking game about something you've actually done LITTLE OR NOTHING in as a GAINFULLY EMPLOYED PROFESSIONAL... as far as I can tell after looking FAR AND WIDE.

That being: ACTUALLY MAKING RECORDS WITH ANY DEGREE OF PERSISTENCY FOR A LIVING.

Love to be PROVEN wrong on it. No. Really.

In the meantime.

Can't wait to see the SPECIFIC LIST.

And, once again... I actually Do, and have done, NOTHING but make records for nigh on thirty f*cking years.

Hundreds of them.

Hey... I don't care who believes me, or which one of your slew of Soundcraft modding sycophants shows up here to defend yer non-existent honor. Anybody can do the research on the internot and find out the truth(NO.... they probably shouldn't be checking out YOUR website for more oblique "has worked with" credit rhetoric.)

In the end:

Yer STILL at basecamp with a sterno stove, a snow tent, and a pair of expensive binoculars and a Mouser catalog you're also using as toilet paper.

Me? I'm on the mountain giving you the f*cking finger.

Adjust the focus on those Swarovskis. You'll see me.

Yeah!!! THAT'S ME! That's me waving my temperature shriveled dick at you!!!

'Cause EVERY TIME you open yer yipper about record making...

I KNOW fer CERTAIN... you don't LIVE UP HERE.

And with the weather conditions and all...

I CERTAINLY can't keep my dick out all day.

Now, I'm gonna go play my drums for 2 hours in the far iso both in my "b" room. Take a shower. Change, and show up a 15 minutes late for a 1pm session call... 'cause I blew 20 minutes handing you yer ass here.

The record, my 7th full length so far this year is coming out amazing. Hey. It ain't ME. The kids know how to artfully conceive and execute their own music. A dogmatic cactus like yerself wouldn't last an hour with this bunch. This is the third record they've made with guys who actually know what the f*ck they are doing. They'd kick yer goldbricking ass to the curb with a quickness.

News Flash: Stevie Wonder ain't the only guy who's been known to commit his shoe to somebody's ass.

SM.

PS. Just for the record. You DO know who I am. You, and that nitwit Ethan Wino pressured me into revealing as much. The thread is still there. Including yer posts. Unfortunately for you. The important bits have been QUOTED by other posters... So yer not gonna be able to clean up after the fact.

Flat out LIE enough on public record Jim. And yer gonna grab yerself.

Case in point.

Cue the Jim Williams high speed video op-amp diaper cleaning crew.

****. Now I'm 30 minutes late.

(end of GS post)

Anyhoo.

I wonder if that last "****"(****) that I didn't do the little "f*ck" censor trick on was the "inappropriate language"?

Is that funny?
Maybe someone needs to take a little break and think a little.

I will take my personally rude liberty to say.
What a douch..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture ➑️

Is that funny?

Maybe someone needs to take a little break and think a little.

I will take my personally rude liberty to say.

What a douch..
Yes. It was hilarious. Although humor tends to differ as it is subjective.

What's a douch?

Is that a donut lost in a couch?
Old 3rd October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin ➑️
LOL. omg SM is hilarious.
no. he is a genious.. maybe not in making hit records but in sarcasm, cynism and telling the truth and make everyone listen to it.

cheers

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Closed
Topic: