Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Jim has been heartbroken ever since Slipperman left...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I disagree with some of Jim's ideas, as do a lot of people but he clearly demonstrates a vast knowledge of gear and electronics that a lot of people don't. I enjoy the humour as well.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreflakes ➡️
pot/kettle
Back atcha. At least a large proportion of my posts are helping people with issues. You?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Think Prince Philip commentary.
Now, I REALLY get and love Prince Philip's comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️
Watch out dismissing us grumpy ol' men, Monkey! heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat ➡️
What he said! ^^
FWIW, you guys have some work to do to get called "grumpy old men" in my book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
It's unfortunate to lose anyone in our community who shares valuable information but it's even more unfortunate to have those same people find joy in running down others and their products. Especially when they sell products as well.

Yes. I get the joke and the grumpy old man attitude but I think he could have saved it for a general recording thread. It doesn't belong in a gear announcement thread.
I think that's my kinda view as well. It's not that I'd want every opinion I didn't agree with stamped out; it's that when someone asks a genuine question or advice, and you get a condescending "I never use that when I'm recording, why would you want to" reply, I just don't see the humour in that. The persona might be funny, but to the new visitor it's just rude.

It's nothing to do with "get over it, toughen up, it's the internet" etc - I don't think JW has ever even been particularly rude to me. I just don't think it makes for a helpful environment here.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This site is circling the drain. Anyone seen Dave Darling lately?

Seriously...Jules...shark...jumped...if you get a good offer...SELL...SELL...SELL...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agree with Jim's opinions or not, they were VALID opinions. Not all opinions are created equal, and this place has just lost another person who actually knows something.

And WHO-TF reports threads? Get a life...

If you think this place is better off without him <DELETED BY MODERATOR>

Report that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➡️
This site is circling the drain. Anyone seen Dave Darling lately?

Seriously...Jules...shark...jumped...if you get a good offer...SELL...SELL...SELL...
Nahh, at least Charlie Clouser came back.
Old 24th September 2012
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Very unfortunate loss. He's a wealth of info and has helped an enormous amount of people.

The only thing that shocked me was the campaign this year pimping the RM converters. I got on board on his recommendation and both the first unit and my replacement unit were a technical train wreck. QC, noise floor issues and IMD galore.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➡️
Very unfortunate loss. He's a wealth of info and has helped an enormous amount of people.

The only thing that shocked me was the campaign this year pimping the RM converters. I got on board on his recommendation and both the first unit and my replacement unit were a technical train wreck. QC, noise floor issues and IMD galore.
I missed all that. It must have been a market event (Does Jules make money from these campaign artists?)....
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Personally, I quite ENJOY posts from people with strong opinions!

(...Even if I disagree.)

Hell, if I only want to consider my OWN opinion, I don't really need to visit a website!

...And yeah, Jim's mods are usually exercises in a quest for lower noise and distortion specs.

Some people consider this sort of thing to be "mojocide", but I don't think that's ALWAYS true.

Sure, with most high-end gear, I wouldn't want to change a thing; but with others, I think it can be a good idea to "clean things up" a bit. (And such is the case with a few of Jim's ideas.) And of course, some of Jim's mods are for gear that's not exactly "high-end" to start with.

...STILL, I always found the info posted by Jim to be quite interesting (whether I took it to heart or not).

I mean, say what you want about his opinions, but the guy definitely "knows his onions" when it comes to circuit design!

When it comes to electronic benchwork, I really don't think there is any such thing as "useless knowledge".

For instance, when working out your OWN stuff, it can be quite enlightening to sorta reverse-engineer "improvements" by guys like Jim, and choose to "go the other way" sometimes.

As to the TONE of his posts, I kinda ENJOY a bit of acid-tongued discourse every so often, especially from someone as knowledgeable as Jim.

...Then again, I've grown pretty thick skin over the years.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted ➡️
Jim has been heartbroken ever since Slipperman left...
Did Slippy leave?

Did he delete all "his" helpful posts?
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Personally, I quite ENJOY posts from people with strong opinions!
The weird thing about internet forums (all of them) is that people initially register wanting to be told they're wrong about something in order to learn.

After they get bored and start posting "socially" for a few weeks however, it turns into a creepy small town with feuds and "off-limits" topics, etc. Then the function of the forum -- information exchange -- withers away and it becomes an echo chamber for a small group of people who all agree with one another even if they're 100% wrong.

In essence, I agree with you. The best posters are the ones who just state their opinions. The worst posters are the "beloved crowd-pleasers" who repeat hearsay just to avoid conflict and get pats on the back from pimply moderators.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 ➡️
Hell, if I only want to consider my OWN opinion, I don't really need to visit a website!
I think GS is missing the bus on that one. We should each have our own section where we can just post our own opinions and then sign up under other accounts and tell ourselves how great we are. Get in on the whole social networking thing, selling people's egos back to them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats ➡️
If you think this place is better off without him, your an idiot.
+1
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Agree with Jim's opinions or not, they were VALID opinions. Not all opinions are created equal, and this place has just lost another person who actually knows something.

And WHO-TF reports threads? Get a life...

If you think this place is better off without him, your an idiot.

Report that.
Dude. No one decided that this place was better off without him.

This was his decision (if my guess was correct).

I asked that the thread be split. Nothing deleted. Just two threads instead of one. Is that something to get upset about? Do we really need the "expensive gear is a waste of money" in the Neve 5088 thread?

Could it be that Jim has the thin skin here?

And while it's true that him leaving means another knowledgable poster gone, let's not forget that posters disrespecting one another is the reason others have left.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy ➡️
The weird thing about internet forums (all of them) is that people initially register wanting to be told they're wrong about something in order to learn.

After they get bored and start posting "socially" for a few weeks however, it turns into a creepy small town with feuds and "off-limits" topics, etc. Then the function of the forum -- information exchange -- withers away and it becomes an echo chamber for a small group of people who all agree with one another even if they're 100% wrong.

In essence, I agree with you. The best posters are the ones who just state their opinions. The worst posters are the "beloved crowd-pleasers" who repeat hearsay just to avoid conflict and get pats on the back from pimply moderators.
Well said my friend.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I noticed a while ago JW was deleting posts... my theory at the time was he wanted to keep his information to himself. ie, financial reasons.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
your an idiot
Lol...the irony hurts.

Regards,
Frank
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
I agree up to a point.

But it does get a bit wearing when every request for help gets a "when I record, I do it this way" type response.

My favourite JW-irrelevance recently was "Everything worthwhile was invented by Americans". Not even paraphrasing that much!
Well thats absurd.
Sean Connery and Alex Furguson have recently informed the masses that Scotland invented the World
McWorld
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️

And while it's true that him leaving means another knowledgable poster gone, let's not forget that posters disrespecting one another is the reason others have left.
I think the main reason is that poseurs and weekend warriors prefer fantasy over truth and have muscled professional opinion out. If you go against the collective mob dogma, you get attacked.

Ps, sorry about the drama of the prior post.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
A while back, in another totally unrelated forum (was an automotive forum), I had posted a lot of very detailed and accurate DIY tech articles, with photos, that were well received and appreciated.

Then, at a later point in time, the forum seemed to be thinning out, a lot of the good guys left and all that seemed to remain were a bunch of snot-nose punk kids. And there came a point where they started ganging up on me and busting my balls about certain tech issues, etc... I'm pretty open-minded and open to criticism, I'm happy to admit that I might be wrong if there's a chance that I am etc, but it got to a point where there was just a large degree of disrespect going on, so one day I just decided to completely DELETE all my lengthy, detailed, super helpful DIY posts / articles. My attitude was, why should I share this great wealth of info with a bunch of idiots who do nothing but bust my balls and have no respect? So that was it, gone, done.

A few of the moderators then begged me to stay and begged me to put the articles back... they pretty much gave me the old, "don't let a few bad eggs spoil it for everyone" speech... then a lot of respectful "lurkers" popped out of the woodwork and were begging me to come back as well etc...

Then I realized that I should not have let the bad eggs "chase" me out. But man, some of these little f*ckers really pissed me off... cowardly pieces of ****e... whatever, the internet is full of them apparently. They can really get under one's skin.

So I learned a lesson there, not to allow myself to get overly irritated by forum "bullys" and other disrespecting, annoying sons of b*tches... and just stand my ground... because, behind the scenes, there seems to always be plenty of good people, many who might just be lurkers, that have respect and sincerely appreciate the help.

Don't know if this story has any relevance to whatever might be going on with Jim, but just mentioning it.

As for pulling down articles / intellectual property for business reasons, I don't know if that's such a good plan. I would agree with the others here that posting tech articles should only help increase business.

The bottom line, the guys who will want to perform mods themselves are likely not going to pay someone else for mod work anyway, they'll either figure it out on their own or just not do it. That's the way most guys who are handy with a soldering iron seem to think.

Then the other 90% of gear owners will read such tech articles, decide they want such an upgrade and then will PAY a guy like Jim to have it done because they just don't trust themselves with a soldering iron or do not even own one. A good tech article can really draw in non-tech guys, everyone likes the idea of an "upgrade" but the majority of people out there do not have the time, patience, knowledge, skill or confidence to try it themselves. And most people that would want to have a mod done by someone will want it done by the guy that developed the mod ("wrote the book" on it so to speak), not by a different tech. Posting such articles can be very powerful.

I also agree that Jim's commentary has made for some entertaining reading. That, plus the actual tech help Jim has given, is much appreciated. Hopefully whatever's going on will be sorted out.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think the main reason is that poseurs and weekend warriors (edit) have muscled professional opinion out.
Absolutely. Just don't think that's the case here.

Jim Williams has been here long enough not to be chased away by novices.

Quote:
Ps, sorry about the drama of the prior post.
Water under the bridge my friend. Water under the bridge.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 ➡️
A while back, in another totally unrelated forum (was an automotive forum), I had posted a lot of very detailed and accurate DIY tech articles, with photos, that were well received and appreciated.

(snip)

I also agree that Jim's commentary has made for some entertaining reading. That, plus the actual tech help Jim has given, is much appreciated. Hopefully whatever's going on will be sorted out.
Great post and point. Most times it's the negative voices that are the loudest.

The one workaround I would suggest is that if you have info to share, post it to your own blog and allow comments. Then link to it on the forums.

This way you can control the conversation on your blog. People tend to be more positive on personal blogs as opposed to big forums where they think they have an audience.

Thanks
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Annoying when your post gets "Deleted by moderator" - also hate the warnings sent via PM. This forum has no humour...

Jim is a cool dude! He will be missed!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy ➡️

Interesting analysis...I may have to run that up the flagpole at some of the other (non-audio) forums I frequent and see if it gets any traction.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm sure JW's technical contributions were huge.
I haven't spent money or time on modding my gear, so it had little impact on me.
I certainly will not miss his opinionated contributions, however.
I find his attitude to be a huge turn off, and one of the low spots of the whole forum.
It seemed, more often than not, that his aim was to be to snotty to those who's style or opinion he did not agree with.

Very condescending and dismissive.

So technically, I'm sure he'll be greatly missed.
But for me, culturally, not a bit.

His attitude on this forum alone guaranteed that I would never have spent money on his services.
If I ever need anything similar, I'll go far and wide to find an alternative.

FWIW.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I thought Jim was funny as heck. His technical mod advice was excellent.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➡️
...while I agree that the good-will of posting modding info could be beneficial to a business, Jim Williams has made it quit clear he is not interested in modding mics anymore...factor in the introduction of these complete pre-packaged "microphone mod-kits" (all components, capsule and detailed instruction) that he's working on with Matt at microphone-parts.com, and you could make the case that giving away the farm might not be so beneficial...now I have no idea if this is in fact the reason for the sudden deletions, but it does follow some simple business logic (informing his audience of his knowledge/recommendations thru posting, and then wrapping it all up in neat little retail packages)...smart marketing, I'd say...just a thought...
If all his posts are gone, then I think there is more to it. Off the top of my head, his posts covered other mods on Adcom amps, the Symtrix sx202, a converter sold by MCM Electronics and who knows what all else. So I suspect there's more to this than just the mic mod packages.

There might have been a decisive tipping point, but there were probably a number of reasons over time that built up.

I'm going to miss his posts.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➡️
What?!
He said "Curiously, he no longer accepts PMs either."
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➡️

... Jim Williams has made it quite clear he is not interested in modding mics anymore...factor in the introduction of these complete pre-packaged "microphone mod-kits" (all components, capsule and detailed instruction) that he's working on with Matt at microphone-parts.com...
Ah, ok. Wasn't aware of that. I'm not familiar with the mic mod stuff specifically, kits etc.

Closed
Topic: