Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Exceptional thinker. No doubt about that.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes he is!

Thank you, Jim.

Thank you very, very much.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Exactly. I saw him get grief in a couple of places lately where people were accusing him of pimping, i.e. BEING money motivated and other ****e, so I guess he just got tired of getting **** combined with regularly giving all his knowledge away for free on here. Can't really blame him.

So to you who know who you are....well done!! You have removed a superb source of kindly and randomly dispensed info for the rest of us. Nice work. Way to go.

Jim, thank you for all that info anyhow!!!! Pity you ended up feeling that way.....
for my part, JW's posts were at least equal part "grumpy old man" counterbalancing the advice.

I agree it's a shame to lose that source of knowledge in some areas, but I wouldn't miss the opinionated irrelevance that peppered half his comments.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
for my part, JW's posts were at least equal part "grumpy old man" counterbalancing the advice.

I agree it's a shame to lose that source of knowledge in some areas, but I wouldn't miss the opinionated irrelevance that peppered half his comments.
Not every idiosyncrasy constitutes a trigger. We all have some, it's the humor of humanity. But not all of us give as freely as Jim did.

And irrelevance by definition is very subjective.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange ➑️
Yes he is!

Thank you, Jim.

Thank you very, very much.
guys....he's not dead....

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not every idiosyncrasy constitutes a trigger. We all have some, it's the humor of humanity. But not all of us give as freely as Jim did.

And irrelevance by definition is very subjective.
I agree up to a point.

But it does get a bit wearing when every request for help gets a "when I record, I do it this way" type response.

My favourite JW-irrelevance recently was "Everything worthwhile was invented by Americans". Not even paraphrasing that much!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Who the hell said he's a grumpy 'ol man! See how grumpy he is when i send my avitar to him for some treatment instead of the master sections he normally has to receive!!!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

My favourite JW-irrelevance recently was "Everything worthwhile was invented by Americans". Not even paraphrasing that much!
That is a line of perfect humor to me. "Throw the cat amongst the pigeons" humor.....lol
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sad to see ya go, Jim

For whatever reasons Jim has to evacuate I support them. He's served us all well through the years, and for what...the mass majority stepping in & crushing his intellect!! He gave advice, nothing more. No price tags, no gimmicks or cheap plugs...just advice. GS is being spit upon & no-one can reverse it. So, when the neighborhood goes bad, ya vacate & leave it to the dogs. I'm sure he's glad to have helped those that truly appreciated it. I'm sorry I'd never gotten chance to take on his mod suggestions, for now they're not in archive. :( Best to you, Jim. Hopefully you'll put up a personal blog that allows us to tap the resources you've shared so openly for so long. peacch
Old 23rd September 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That is a line of perfect humor to me. "Throw the cat amongst the pigeons" humor.....lol
If you say so! Maybe it's just lost to some over the net...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you say so! Maybe it's just lost to some over the net...
Think Prince Philip commentary.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So I guess this means that you didn't print screen those posts before they were deleted?

WTF, you think the Internet is static?

----

Regarding the grumpy old man BS, I for one value originality that is not contrived and my read is that Jim is the real deal. I've never been stressed in the least by his style. Maybe I'm a grumpy old man and understand the lingo better than you whiny whipper-snappers.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry you had to go Jim

Thanks for all the info over the years.

Hope you pop up somewhere else soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, do we know for a fact he's left GS for good or something...some of you are talking this way and I've definitely seen him post recently, especially in forums about converters.

Generally, I take his advice as he's way more technically savvy than I'll ever be, but I'm definitely a color geek. I like tracking with color and I have a feeling I always will. Something about it that just sounds more forgiving and musical.

The whole grumpy thing, well it could be just cynicism, and I can be that way as well, mostly because a good part of society is just a bunch of morons pacing themselves through life based off knowledge only acquired from advertisements and media...which is just ********. Anyway, he's brilliant, has his opinions and preferences, but hey, I've posted recently saying something on the tag end like 'sorry, Jim, I still like a compressor and eq on my 2buss'...he never responds, which is cool as he clearly gets I'm teasing.

Hopefully he'll see this thread and know we all love him for his way of thinking. Once again, I would not have tried modding my microphones or purchased my Ross Martin converters if it weren't for him.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Watch out dismissing us grumpy ol' men, Monkey! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciozzi ➑️
guys....he's not dead....
Never said Jim was.

I wanted to publicly say "thanks" to him - he makes me think, and I've learned quite a bit from him.

*Lots* of complaining on GS, and I wanted to be sure and provide a positive.

His thoughts and insights are valued by me.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
pot/kettle
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
Watch out dismissing us grumpy ol' men, Monkey! heh
What he said! ^^
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Richardson ➑️
Who the hell said he's a grumpy 'ol man! See how grumpy he is when i send my avitar to him for some treatment instead of the master sections he normally has to receive!!!
Fantastic avatar, I must say...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

This might be (partially) my fault.

I reported Jim for his part in this thread:

Rupert Neve 5088--eight channel board

I didn't ask for anything to be deleted. I asked if it could be split off so that the "announcement" of the Neve 5088 didn't have to be about Jim thinking that the console was over-priced and that engineers have no need for it.

My guess is that he may have had a talking to (complete guess) and that he decided to delete all of his posts.

It's unfortunate to lose anyone in our community who shares valuable information but it's even more unfortunate to have those same people find joy in running down others and their products. Especially when they sell products as well.

Yes. I get the joke and the grumpy old man attitude but I think he could have saved it for a general recording thread. It doesn't belong in a gear announcement thread.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Jim is great! I enjoy his posts. Everybody is unique, and that is what is so enjoyable about this forum. Most people have a personality and it comes out in time throughout their posts. I hope Jim continues his posts. Maybe some people enjoy my sense of humor...if not some, maybe a few...if not a few, maybe a couple...if not a couple, well, at least I enjoy it. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➑️
This might be (partially) my fault.

I reported Jim for his part in this thread:

Rupert Neve 5088--eight channel board

I didn't ask for anything to be deleted. I asked if it could be split off so that the "announcement" of the Neve 5088 didn't have to be about Jim thinking that the console was over-priced and that engineers have no need for it.

My guess is that he may have had a talking to (complete guess) and that he decided to delete all of his posts.

It's unfortunate to lose anyone in our community who shares valuable information but it's even more unfortunate to have those same people find joy in running down others and their products. Especially when they sell products as well.

Yes. I get the joke and the grumpy old man attitude but I think he could have saved it for a general recording thread. It doesn't belong in a gear announcement thread.
Perhaps it was the lawyers from MONSTER who spooked him ; they do cast their net widely !!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Did he delete everything or is he just deleting the helpful ones and leaving the ones about his jeep, Stevie Wonder and how nowhere else on Earth has weather like California?

Regards,
Frank
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Perhaps he's just modding some of his posts to achieve lower THD and cross talk (metaphorically)?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Actually, Jim is still on GS posting:

<Gearslutz.com - Search Results>
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyway.
Some people are way to sensitive..

Let's just be ourselves and be done with it.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always enjoy Jim's posts, regardless of tone. Post on, Jim. Post on.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Didn't notice that Jim was editing his old posts, but knowing Jim he is sitting back laughing at this thread Typical GS/ Net conjecture BS !
Monday I shall try this ancient method of gathering information, it's hard work, well harder than typing nonsence

I'm going to call the man. You know find out what's really going on!
I know strange concept,
will I share what I learn? Probably not , I mean ya all is just lovin the audio version of the glossy supermarket rags!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jim's contributions were a major part of what made this place useful.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This forum becomes more dramatic as time goes on. I love ya Jim, but if you're gonna pull this stunt, you're on your own.

Hopefully you decide to let it go...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Closed
Topic: