Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 17 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
What about your "style"? I've not heard your music either, therefore I'm not rude enough to form a condescending opinion about it! I do know of course that you don't work professionally if you don't record digitally...either that or you're one of the few making a living from their specific style of recording (ie Liam Watson and that's about it I think).

Psycho,

Another one of the "few" is a guy named Daniel Lanois.

According to the RADAR site, he is a RADAR user.

He also has a Midas Heritage 3000 for recording according to my
sources, though I am not sure if it is his main recording device...

That is the big brother of my Midas XL200.

Go to my thread you can hear the Surfin' USA/Back in the USSR medley
by my band The Asouf Foli Project if you want to know what it sounds like right now.

That track uses 2 of Jim's Expressors and 2 dbx 1066s of his.

Just about done testing, last pieces of rack gear next week, quite pleased with the sound.

G
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm beginning to understand why the members of some other forums I belong to give me grief for admitting to even READING GearSlutz, let alone participating.
Sorry guys, but I've been here from almost day 1, and this thread exhibits almost everything that has contributed to the perceived 'decline' of GearSlutz. The fact that the moderators haven't seen fit to lock it yet is perhaps the most disturbing aspect.

Scott
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitMus ➡️
I'm beginning to understand why the members of some other forums I belong to give me grief for admitting to even READING GearSlutz, let alone participating.
Sorry guys, but I've been here from almost day 1, and this thread exhibits almost everything that has contributed to the perceived 'decline' of GearSlutz. The fact that the moderators haven't seen fit to lock it yet is perhaps the most disturbing aspect.

Scott
Scott,

As the Dead said, believe it if you need it, if not just pass it on.

What harm to you is any discussion?

Personally, I find all human interaction interesting.

Do you want to tell the 26 year old who is building a all analogue
including tape, 16 track room, who found me here that it is a
waste of time because some gear-snob doesn't like what someone
else talks about?

Sorry, dude, objectively you are quite shallow.

I also found Jim Williams through the haze of GS and my
sound is better for it.

So, if it is OK with you, STFU.

Thanks,

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
The fact that the moderators haven't seen fit to lock it yet is perhaps the most disturbing aspect.

Scott
Dude,

As far as I am concerned, your concern about what others think of your behavior is the most disturbing of the 400 or so posts here.

G
Old 19th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Scott
There's been little outright rudeness, and it's in the moan zone, so I don't see the harm really. If another mod thinks its lockable, they can go ahead.

No-one expects sense in the moan zone!
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️

And this thread certainly delivers.

Frequently.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
I described my impression, without telling anyone they were wrong because I repeatedly and will say again, no one can say an objective thing (read: certainty) about this issue, it is like chocolate and vanilla.

I think chocolate is better, you think vanilla, next, right?

G
Ironically this is exactly what everyone has been posting about. Jim's inability to distinguish the subjectivity of recording, that some like vanilla and other like chocolate.

All we were posting about was Jim's condescending posts to those who don't follow his recording philosophy, and him labeling them as 'wrong'. An perhaps his name dropping to back up his credibility that he is 'right'.

Are you defending that or not? 'cos from these multiple pages of posts, it appears that you are defending that philosophy, with the exception of your comment above.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So what DID happened with all of Jim Williams' posts?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
There's been little outright rudeness, and it's in the moan zone, so I don't see the harm really. If another mod thinks its lockable, they can go ahead.

Psycho,

Did you see my comment?

What is the purpose here?

Believe it is to gather and exchange ideas and meet
like minded souls.

If you and your fascist buds want to prevent us from doing
so, even after I told you that there is benefit to this,
what is your point?

That is some sfuff, imo,

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
Ironically this is exactly what everyone has been posting about. Jim's inability to distinguish the subjectivity of recording, that some like vanilla and other like chocolate.

All we were posting about was Jim's condescending posts to those who don't follow his recording philosophy, and him labeling them as 'wrong'. An perhaps his name dropping to back up his credibility that he is 'right'.

Are you defending that or not? 'cos from these multiple pages of posts, it appears that you are Jim's inability to distinguish the subjectivity of recording, with the exception of your comment above.
Dude,

I defend no one. Why would I need to?

I called Jim a legend and now you have proved it to all along with your wing men in the Whine Zone, all rights reserved.

Actually, his legendary status was cemented when he fixed the Stephens 24 track at Producer's Workshop so we could make great music long before you were born.

If Jim Williams, audioupgrades.com, left and generates 500 posts and all this buzz, I hope a real legend does not leave or GS will need 5 more colos just to let you all diss him.

But, all good, we even had a little discussion about music.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Psycho,

The signal chain is not a subjective issue, it is objective and that is Jim's principle.

If you would like to argue that a dirty signal chain is a decision and not a pre-requisite for recording, please go ahead and make a fool of yourself.

That is the only thing he has ever told me is off the table.

G
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
*whistles and saunters*
Ah Jim's gone , another loss to GS , either way I you look at it I suppose .

No ranting or flaming needed , the man made his mind up to leave the website known as GearSlutz .
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yago ➡️
*whistles and saunters*
Ah Jim's gone , another loss to GS , either way I you look at it I suppose .

No ranting or flaming needed , the man made his mind up to leave the website known as GearSlutz .
Jim posted on my thread several times last week.

G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Jim posted on my thread several times last week.

G
OK

So, Jim Williams - what's happened to SOME of your posts?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlange ➡️
OK

So, Jim Williams - what's happened to SOME of your posts?
You could always PM him if you really want to know.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Dude,

I defend no one. Why would I need to?

I called Jim a legend and now you have proved it to all along with your wing men in the Whine Zone, all rights reserved.

Actually, his legendary status was cemented when he fixed the Stephens 24 track at Producer's Workshop so we could make great music long before you were born.

If Jim Williams, audioupgrades.com, left and generates 500 posts and all this buzz, I hope a real legend does not leave or GS will need 5 more colos just to let you all diss him.

But, all good, we even had a little discussion about music.

G
Well, myself and my 'wing-men' (everyone else posting here besides you) have obviously been posting about something completely different than what you're posting about. Dude.

It's like our posts are going through a matrix mixer and you're comprehending them in an alternative universe where regular matter is anti-matter.

I officially give up.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Psycho,

The signal chain is not a subjective issue, it is objective and that is Jim's principle.

If you would like to argue that a dirty signal chain is a decision and not a pre-requisite for recording, please go ahead and make a fool of yourself.

G
I'll pick The Beatles and Sir George Martin and their gear vs Jim in this fight, if I had to. Or would that make me a 'fool'

(oops, I thought I gave up?? Ugh.)

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Psycho,

G
I didn't post this comment I'm afraid! Although I have to say I agree with Fleaman's post (that you attributed to me).

I'm not sure that you understand the difference between "clean" and "coloured". Otherwise everyone making records with "coloured" gear like chandler and Neve is "wrong". Clearly not the case.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Psycho,

Did you see my comment?

What is the purpose here?

Believe it is to gather and exchange ideas and meet
like minded souls.

If you and your fascist buds want to prevent us from doing
so, even after I told you that there is benefit to this,
what is your point?

That is some sfuff, imo,

G
I really don't see why me saying I'm NOT going to lock the thread makes me a fascist still!

You really are on a planet of one when it comes to logic...
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I wish I knew how to get away with calling a moderator a fascist.... Can anyone give me instruction on that? heh
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Also, Psycho, I have the utmost respect for Bill.

He was a player just before I left LA for England and later Africa in the late 70s.

My arranger, the late great Tom Sellers (Rock the Boat, Hall and Oates) was a piano player or I probably would have used Bill back in the day.

I have attached a song I recorded in 1972 that is considered a classic of this genre at Electric Ladyland in NYC, Hendrix's studio.

I produced and shared engineering credit with Eddie Kramer and David Palmer.

G
Sounds nice. I hear transformers, plates and great performances (with the odd f-up here and there, but hey, I like perfection!). Bar a little his, I DON'T hear a "tape sound" particularly. It's good, but simple and I don't see why anyone with a great input chain (ie something with a little iron in the path, NOT something ultra clean) couldn't do this on a DAW. It would take self restraint to leave the mistakes in, but it's possible.

Quote:
Psycho,

Capitol Studio B, 1973 James Taylor's Band and a semi-famous singer of the time.

Dylan song, playing congas with Russ Kunkle produced and engineered.

G
Again, great vocal performance. Everything else...not that fussed really! Someone should have recorded a bit hotter though, that tape hiss is unacceptable, even by the standards of the time! what went wrong there? I know it's probably been remastered a bit brighter, but you don't hear that on the Beatles' stuff..

One for you:

Same song...I think it sounds great when full res(you might want to find a non-youtube version to actually avoid the encoding). nothing to do with me, although I have worked with the mix engineer.

Quote:
Psycho,

Well, what I meant was that if he was making music with Pro Tools or any DAW for that matter, he, you all of you are making cartoon music.
So essentially, everyone who's made music in the past 15 years or more (PT was pretty much the standard in 1999) is making cartoon music? Every single film soundtrack which are ALWAYS 100% digital, is cartoon (actually, I know one that wasn't - the 2nd Harry Potter film was recorded and mixed from 48track analogue, although of course a digital copy was made at the same time. I know because I was there). Even those working to tape like T-Bone Burnett, are known to transfer to digital (usually PT, although it really doesn't matter - a DAW is a DAW).

Even your friend Eddie K works with Pro Tools these days. Not worked with him personally, but a friend assisted him more than once. Gonna give him a call, tell him he makes cartoon music?

Quote:
The sound, dude, the sound, remember I have credits so I can jump in right?

Your rule.
I wasn't aware of establishing any "rules". FWIW I've never said "YOU should get better recordings/mixes digitally than on tape". If that's YOUR experience, that's fine.

Quote:
Oh my, yes, of course, 15 years and 18 months with the DAW.
That says to me you know analogue techniques a lot better than digital techniques. Hardly surprising you're finding it difficult to adapt (a 20yr layoff probably doesn't help....not exactly going to be "match fit" are you?)

Quote:
You are a very silly young man of course.
I can be. Not stupid though, certainly not stupid enough to assume that my own experiences are true for everyone.

Quote:
I know what I hear and it is not the same digital and analogue.

Should I listen to it for another 13 1/2 years?.
No, but perhaps you should learn what you're doing before slagging it off. Or resign yourself to only listening to music made before the 80s maybe. And maybe show some respect to those who have moved with the times? You seem to think everyone is slagging you off, but really no-one has - all anyone has taken offence to is your criticism of EVERYONE. In other words, your attitude.

Quote:
My choice analogue not digital.
Of course, and no-one would argue that. just don't insult the rest of us whilst you choose.

Quote:
And my friend, can you tell us all your experience
in an analogue environment or are you simply talking
trash again without information?

G
Talking trash "again"? when have I talked trash in the first place? I'm not the one who universally insulted the entire modern recording world after a 20yr sabbatical!

I'm very lucky in that I've been able to work in some of the UK's best studios (and worldwide too). I think I've used most LFACs, small consoles, many different tape machines both as an assistant and as an engineer. I'm no "name" but I've got a reasonable list of credits. I've been able to work with and for some of the best producers and engineers, and as such I think I've had a fairly well rounded audio education.

So yeah...I'm not quite on 15 years experience (yet - not far off) but I've certainly done a fair bit in the past 15 years!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What about your "style"? I've not heard your music either, therefore I'm not rude enough to form a condescending opinion about it! I do know of course that you don't work professionally if you don't record digitally...either that or you're one of the few making a living from their specific style of recording (ie Liam Watson and that's about it I think).

Psycho,

Another one of the "few" is a guy named Daniel Lanois.

According to the RADAR site, he is a RADAR user.

He also has a Midas Heritage 3000 for recording according to my
sources, though I am not sure if it is his main recording device...
Oh man...you STILL don't get it do you?

RADAR is "Digital". Recording into a digital box is digital, regardless of the converters used.

I've done albums where we've used RADAR for conversion only. Recording into PT. What does that make my recordings? Digital? RADAR? sonically, it should be the same...unless you're of the belief that a RADAR PC does something magically different to any other PC in existence. It doesn't of course, but that doesn't stop the non-logical amongst our ranks believing it does.

I suggest you ask DL what he uses on most of his projects. I'm sure he HAS used RADAR - I'm also fairly certain he's a big PT user. Whilst he's certainly one of the "few" unique producers, he's not the sort of person I was referring to. DL could come to any commercial studio and work off their PT rig, and be fine. Liam Watson (for want of a better example) is a package with his studio, who'd be lost in a regular studio. You go to him for the way he works as well as what he does. But there's not much room in the industry for more than a few to have this approach.

Quote:
That is the big brother of my Midas XL200.

Go to my thread you can hear the Surfin' USA/Back in the USSR medley
by my band The Asouf Foli Project if you want to know what it sounds like right now.

That track uses 2 of Jim's Expressors and 2 dbx 1066s of his.

Just about done testing, last pieces of rack gear next week, quite pleased with the sound.

G
Which thread?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I suggest you ask DL what he uses on most of his projects. I'm sure he HAS used RADAR - I'm also fairly certain he's a big PT user.
Yup. Cartoon music. Give it up Psycho. All you will get back are condescending and narcissistic ramblings....

And trust me, you don't want to go to the other thread.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What the hell is going on in here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well, myself and my 'wing-men' (everyone else posting here besides you) have obviously been posting about something completely different than what you're posting about. Dude.

It's like our posts are going through a matrix mixer and you're comprehending them in an alternative universe where regular matter is anti-matter.

I officially give up.
Just marketing dude, since I started posting here about 3 days ago, the posts are up 67% about what they were in 3 months.

What am I marketing:

The idea that you don't have to sell your soul to the Pro Tools company store.

Objectively, it can be done, I have heard it and I do it.

And rigid young ego freaks (generically, of course, not you, but Psycho and poor Kenny) expose the digital myth of equality by their refusal to discuss the subject.

Thoughtful intelligent musicians are contacting me and asking me about cost etc.
You are all a great help in my cause, thank you!

I am officially just starting.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'll pick The Beatles and Sir George Martin and their gear vs Jim in this fight, if I had to. Or would that make me a 'fool'

(oops, I thought I gave up?? Ugh.)
gotcha - when did martin and the beatles get mentioned

as i remember they used a bunch of modded bbc gear to do what
they needed to do, so may you are right...

g
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I didn't post this comment I'm afraid! Although I have to say I agree with Fleaman's post (that you attributed to me).

I'm not sure that you understand the difference between "clean" and "coloured". Otherwise everyone making records with "coloured" gear like chandler and Neve is "wrong". Clearly not the case.
Again, my young confused friend, I know what colour is.

It will be a different colour with a dirty signal chain and that is random
but maybe you can't hear the difference from your computer sound card
which of course is understandable.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I really don't see why me saying I'm NOT going to lock the thread makes me a fascist still!

You really are on a planet of one when it comes to logic...
Again, my young and very confused friend, if it possible to lock it because you don't like what people say that is a fascist act, objectively.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
I wish I knew how to get away with calling a moderator a fascist.... Can anyone give me instruction on that? heh
You say G is a fascist, Bill.

No problem, please explain why.

Did I threaten to lock the post because I didn't like
what people say?

Psycho did that.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sounds nice. I hear transformers, plates and great performances (with the odd f-up here and there, but hey, I like perfection!). Bar a little his, I DON'T hear a "tape sound" particularly. It's good, but simple and I don't see why anyone with a great input chain (ie something with a little iron in the path, NOT something ultra clean) couldn't do this on a DAW. It would take self restraint to leave the mistakes in, but it's possible.

Interesting comment about cleaning up the vocals with editing, which is what you understandably thought of.

You could do that but the lead singer would de-capitate you, so not a great idea.

The idea that anyone would record a capella with a DAW is frightening to me.

G
Closed
Topic: