Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
  #391
Audio X
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
So I guess it's a win for all the people craving his words of wisdom.

Here's a sample from a Mastering thread:
I really get the feeling that you don't like anything Jim has to say..

...it's quite evident and probably won't change... but I have to tell you ...honestly your post are a little more annoying.. You take over almost every thread that you're involved in.

A good example would be this one or the Slate Ravin one where you have over double the post of the next highest poster.. you sort of take threads over and repeat yourself a lot and go way off topic.

I don't let it bother me so much.. just bringing it to your attention in case you didn't know. I am just trying to help..

I mean this thread is about talking about other forum members.. right? or is it only Jim...
2
Share
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
  #392
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X ➡️
I really get the feeling that you don't like anything Jim has to say..
Nah. Just didn't care for the way he hijacked the new Neve console thread with a discussion about how none of us need it.

Don't think Jim would appreciate a similar turn in one of his Mod threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X ➡️
you sort of take threads over and repeat yourself a lot and go way off topic.
Buddy: If they can't start a meeting without you, well, that's a meeting worth going to, isn't it? And that's the only kind of meeting you should ever concern yourselves with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X ➡️

I don't let it bother me so much..


Obviously



1
Share
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
  #393
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️



There you go again. Do you not see how that is or can be offensive to someone? Do you not see how you come off to other people? Maybe you are oblivious, but the PM's in my mail box lead me to believe you have a PR problem. Perhaps you and Jim are cut out of the same cloth. Either way, I have no time for your - or his - negativity in my life. Enjoy your weather....
Doc,

I thought so.

Instead of asking me what such an odd statement meant, you evaluated the subjective meaning through your filter and came out backwards.

The phrase is actually a zen phrase, which is an exercise in humility and paradox.

It was paraphrased in a famous book by Suzuki, the Roshi of the SF Zen Center - coincidentally during the late 60s, the Haight era when I was coming up - in his yoga classic, Zen Mind Beginner's Mind.

The idea is that one should listen to others who seem like weeds because they have conflicting subjective views and will make sure one is not acting out of ego but true nuanced thought.

So, should we hit the reset button?

G
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
  #394
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X ➡️
Jim does still post on this forum and others.. just not so much in the BS threads..

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked by now..
I'm just sayin' cause I see some good threads get locked
but this thread is just people talkin ****.
As the primary **** talker for the past 12 hours, I second that
emotion.

G
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
  #395
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
If one's attitude was a music pre-req, you and I both know how much music never would have been made.
But we're talking about a service industry here. JW isn't a recording artist (who's attitude you put up with because their music is amazing). He's someone running a business, who's attitude puts people off shopping with him. Essentially he's a rude shop owner (to some). So if you really want what he's selling you put up with it. If not, you shop elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
The issue with Jim is a straw man of some kind you seem to be setting up and the premise is, I guess, correct if wrong.
If there's a "straw man" here (and I don't think there is; no-one's set up an position on an argument only to argue against it; we're talking about a viewpoint repeatedly expressed by the guy himself), it's JW's own doing for misrepresenting himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
If Jim can't point to something that he has recorded??? or produced?? or something?? that means by definition, his mods are no good????
Err...now that's nothing LIKE what I said! I said JW repeatedly gives his views on how his way is the right way to record something (and is condescendingly flippant to those who disagree); he throws in comments about "working with Zappa" and so on as support for these views; yet as I see it, he worked with the "names" in a design role (and so it's irrelevant with respect to recording skill) and when asked to provide examples to back up his aggressive and quite frankly rude condescension, he goes strangely quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Jim is a technician who works on gear, why exactly does he have to jump some imaginary bar to satisfy others exactly?
I quite agree. If he stuck to that, and stopped trying to tell those of us who do actually record for a living and not as a hobby what the "right" way to record drums are, I'd have a lot more respect for the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
I am not disrespecting you or anyone else here, my friend. I honestly want to understand.

G
Is that any clearer then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
psycho - wow - dude really

do you ask the ceo of uad what his music sounds like before you buy a
2,000 pre-amp from them??????
Well, UAD sell plugins, not preamps.....it's the digital arm of Universal Audio. And no, I would't ask them...unless the guy started telling me exactly how I should be placing mics to get the best out of his product! But the CEO of UA wouldn't do that - he'd be experienced enough to know that there's many ways to do one task....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
the right way to do something that can be done 10,000 ways is what exactly?
...my point exactly! If you could pass that one on to your buddy JW when you next speak to him. Ironically I suspect that JW has toned down his posting for a reason - you're probably not doing him any favours by prolonging it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
I guess plenty means enough great gear, so congrats, I want as much great gear as I can find.

G
Oh, there's always room for one more piece of gear. As has been pointed out, there's plenty of choice as well which means we can choose who we do and don't give our custom to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Not my opinion, sort of like your wing man psycho monkey who doesn't want to hear Jim's mods because he, psycho has "great gear".

G
No, I don't want to give JW my money because I don't respect him as a person. That's my choice, and I'm entitled to it! I'm perfectly willing to hear the mods (and in fact you're putting words in my mouth here; I've never said I didn't want to hear them. I guess in asking to hear JW's recordings, I've asked to hear his gear as well!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Oh, I get it, amazing, you are engineers, and he is not:

Jim has a habit of jumping into our world.

Again presented without comment.

I love it and you guys, now I understand - this has been going on for 40 years +.

I guess it will be going on for another 40 years.

OK, OK, you guys win, give me my Producer Fader, the one that does nothing, and I will be quiet.

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
The reason, imho, is that there is no demand for the product, I think.

G
Erm..have you SEEN the prices of vintage neve gear? I think there's plenty of demand for an "as original" piece. In fact, I think the current AMS Neve 1081 is fairly damn close to the original, as far as manufacturing standards allows at this point anyway - and they're not exactly cheap!
1
Share
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #396
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
But we're talking about a service industry here. JW isn't a recording artist (who's attitude you put up with because their music is amazing). He's someone running a business, who's attitude puts people off shopping with him. Essentially he's a rude shop owner (to some). So if you really want what he's selling you put up with it. If not, you shop elsewhere.
Thanks, needed a good laugh.

So, if I read this correct, you are calling Jim the Soup ****.
(really, in the UK where your Prince dressed up in one of those
German WW2 costumes??? - awesome)

The Seinfeld character who threw people out of his restaurant if
they did not order correctly.

So, finally we agree totally, 100% and with no equivication because...

the Soup Nzai's soup was soooooooo good that there were lines around the block....

So yes, rude proprietor great soup.

Rather eat great soup with a rude proprietor than awful soup from a nice guy.

You can do the metaphor for sound yourself...

G
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #397
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️

Rather eat great soup with a rude proprietor than awful soup from a nice guy.

G
Jim's Mods have never been in question here.
1
Share
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #398
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Rather eat great soup with a rude proprietor than awful soup from a nice guy.
EXCEPT, there are a hundred places to eat GREAT soup, with a wonderful proprietor. At least in LA. And a significan number of places with even BETTER soup than AU. Now, how does THAT sound to you?
1
Share
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #399
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Thanks, needed a good laugh.

So, if I read this correct, you are calling Jim the Soup ****.
(really, in the UK where your Prince dressed up in one of those
German WW2 costumes??? - awesome)
Err...why am I responsible for the actions of my Royal Family?! I'd remove that comment if I were you...friendly nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
The Seinfeld character who threw people out of his restaurant if
they did not order correctly.

So, finally we agree totally, 100% and with no equivication because...

the Soup Nzai's soup was soooooooo good that there were lines around the block....

So yes, rude proprietor great soup.

Rather eat great soup with a rude proprietor than awful soup from a nice guy.

You can do the metaphor for sound yourself...

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
EXCEPT, there are a hundred places to eat GREAT soup, with a wonderful proprietor. At least in LA. And a significan number of places with even BETTER soup than AU. Now, how does THAT sound to you?
My thoughts exactly. I know better places to buy from - why would I buy from someone I don't respect?
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #400
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Thanks, needed a good laugh.

So, if I read this correct, you are calling Jim the Soup ****.
(really, in the UK where your Prince dressed up in one of those
German WW2 costumes??? - awesome)

G
Not sure I comprehend what was meant here?? Care to elaborate how this applies to the poster you responded too?

EDIT: Oops, psycho_monkey beat me too it.
1
Share
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #401
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
So yes, rude proprietor great soup.

Rather eat great soup with a rude proprietor than awful soup from a nice guy.

You can do the metaphor for sound yourself...

G
No one is wishing/posting to deal with sub-par mods just 'cos the modder is a 'nice guy'.

The difference is the soup n*zi kept his 'rules' specific to his biz and you could take it or leave it, and ironically it was designed to be efficient in the light of long customer lines. Seinfeld was brilliant in creatively exaggerating his 'rules' for comedic effect.

Yet if he also continually advised you in a condescending matter on how to play your guitar while you ate your soup, I doubt you would continue to go back. And even if you did, I doubt you would question those who didn't, as much as you're doing here.

I second what many other posters have already said: You seem to be paraphrasing the same thing over and over when all the posters have repeatedly said; "we're not questioning his mods", yet that is all you seem to be focused on. That is NOT the question in point here.

Last edited by Fleaman; 19th January 2013 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: .
1
Share
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #402
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
.

Holy frikkin' moly, there certainly is a lot of dancing about architecture here...

Don't like Jim's "advice" or "opinions", simply hit ignore...

.
1
Share
Old 19th January 2013
  #403
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
What's the collective value of the billable hours spent on this 400+ post thread so far?
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #404
Gear Guru
 
Sqye's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
What's the collective value of the billable hours spent on this 400+ post thread so far?
.

I do believe it falls under the umbrella of dancing about architecture.



.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #405
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
EXCEPT, there are a hundred places to eat GREAT soup, with a wonderful proprietor. At least in LA. And a significan number of places with even BETTER soup than AU. Now, how does THAT sound to you?
DOC -

NO GEAR FOR YOU

hahaha
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #406
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
Err...why am I responsible for the actions of my Royal Family?! I'd remove that comment if I were you...friendly nudge
Psycho,

Prey tell wtf you are talking about.

Do you know what freedom of speech is?

Did my words offend you or others, but what did
I say.

I stated a fact that a Prince of the British Royal Family
dressed up like a Nzai soldier, the word one cannot say
here.

Here is the video, guess he was kicked off GS for this.

Prince Harry the **** - YouTube

Glad to see you are consistently fascist.

G
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #407
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️

My thoughts exactly. I know better places to buy from - why would I buy from someone I don't respect?
Because it would sound better and your clients might be happier?


Unless the maker of the gear is sitting next to you when you use it...nevermind

G
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #408
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
Not sure I comprehend what was meant here?? Care to elaborate how this applies to the poster you responded too?

EDIT: Oops, psycho_monkey beat me too it.
Well, I meant that GS edited/censored the correct spelling of the word Nzai...etc

That seem cool to everyone, no sweat...move along nothing to see here.

G
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #409
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
No one is wishing/posting to deal with sub-par mods just 'cos the modder is a 'nice guy'.

The difference is the soup n*zi kept his 'rules' specific to his biz and you could take it or leave it, and ironically it was designed to be efficient in the light of long customer lines. Seinfeld was brilliant in creatively exaggerating his 'rules' for comedic effect.

Yet if he also continually advised you in a condescending matter on how to play your guitar while you ate your soup, I doubt you would continue to go back. And even if you did, I doubt you would question those who didn't, as much as you're doing here.

I second what many other posters have already said: You seem to be paraphrasing the same thing over and over when all the posters have repeatedly said; "we're not questioning his mods", yet that is all you seem to be focused on. That is NOT the question in point here.
Dude,

Of course, no one here is questioning Jim's mods, they admit they have never heard them, though of course that does not keep people from questioning them.

I have a bunch and they sound great.

Start the discussion, um, well no you can't because you are all about what are my credentials, surely your pristine ears will hear things I don't though my credits though 25-40 years old are the same as you dudes.

Hilarious.

And you guys don't see how ridiculous it is to comment page after page about something you admit you know nothing about and further have no intention of considering even when a fellow professional says there is something there.

Your problem...and your art and your clients....

So, guess what, if someone spend 4 months ragging on what an asshole I am and subtly digged about the work I do, without bothering to find out what the work is...etc

So, y'all should go into your little enclave which is only for engineers cause Jim can't "jump in to your place" as Kenny and Psycho have advised.

G
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #410
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #411
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➡️
.

Holy frikkin' moly, there certainly is a lot of dancing about architecture here...

Don't like Jim's "advice" or "opinions", simply hit ignore...

.
We were trying to. Until G kept ramming them up the first available orifice....
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #412
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➡️

Don't like Jim's "advice" or "opinions", simply hit ignore...
Is that just Jim's advice or everyone's?

It sounds to me like you're trying to break the internet.

We will no longer have debates on internet forums? We will either agree or ignore? Is this earth II?
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #413
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
DOC -

NO GEAR FOR YOU

hahaha
ha, ha, ha. The funny thing is, I've got more than 10X's the gear you do. And stuff that makes Jimmy's mods look tame. Good times.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #414
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
What's the collective value of the billable hours spent on this 400+ post thread so far?
Don't know, retired a couple years ago to make records, look at this view...

and hang out on GS all day...

G
Attached Thumbnails
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?-dsc00058.jpeg  
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #415
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
It sounds to me like you're trying to break the internet.
This is nothing. You should see G's OTHER thread.....
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #416
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Well, I meant that GS edited the correct spelling of the word Nzai...etc

That seem cool to everyone, no sweat...move along nothing to see here.

G
Huh? It's quite apparent your comment had nothing to do with GS censoring the 'N*zi' word>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Thanks, needed a good laugh.

So, if I read this correct, you are calling Jim the Soup ****.
(really, in the UK where your Prince dressed up in one of those
German WW2 costumes??? - awesome)

G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman ➡️
Not sure I comprehend what was meant here?? Care to elaborate how this applies to the poster you responded too?
So try not to deflect my (and others) questioning of the meaning of this post. Either elaborate what you meant or leave it as is. Was just trying to give you a chance....
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #417
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The Lone Ranger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
We were trying to. Until G kept ramming them up the first available orifice....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2NpM6WQeOc/

Doc B,

Yes, wherever artisans are in distress and justice needs to be done....

As you say, I must have these incredible powers to keep you, Kenny and Psycho from being able to ignore my posts...

G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2NpM6WQeOc/
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #418
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Dude,

Of course, no one here is questioning Jim's mods, they admit they have never heard them, though of course that does not keep people from questioning them.
What an awesome brilliant sentence. Allow me to remove the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
Dude,

Of course, no one here is questioning Jim's mods, (Blah Blah Blah) though of course that does not keep people from questioning them.
2
Share
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #419
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
Is that just Jim's advice or everyone's?

It sounds to me like you're trying to break the internet.

We will no longer have debates on internet forums? We will either agree or ignore? Is this earth II?
Kenny,

IMHO, debates are fine, but a serious and interested debater will research the subject...


G
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
  #420
Gear Guru
 
Kenny Gioia's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️

And you guys don't see how ridiculous it is to comment page after page about something you admit you know nothing about and further have no intention of considering even when a fellow professional says there is something there.
Who is saying "what" is "where"?

We admit knowing nothing about how his mods sound. Show me the pages where we comment on how they sound. Troll alert!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
So, guess what, if someone spend 4 months ragging on what an asshole I am and subtly digged about the work I do, without bothering to find out what the work is...etc

G
The work is unimportant. We're talking about "what an asshole you are".
Closed
Topic:

Forum Jump
Forum Jump