Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
There's a certain level of consistency in philosophy if one's view is things should be done the "right way" but is frustrated by perceived compromises in both gear and public policy when measured against the "right way."
but, (re: JW) that world view would be more successfully implemented by someone who wasn't so blatantly wrong so much of the time
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➡️
but, (re: JW) that world view would be more successfully implemented by someone who wasn't so blatantly wrong so much of the time
Is that an objective criticism?

I fall in between his stance and some of the others here. We have to at least attempt to use an emperical method to tell what is audible and what is not. Jim's strength was his knowledge of electronics, his failings were his inability to quantify the perceptual effect of things like dialectric distortion beyond "Well, I can hear them".

It's all abit complicated to battle out on Gearslutz as there's alot of confirmation bias and ego to deal with in a crowd. For the criticisms of Ethan Whiner, he attempted to bypass this by setting up blind experiments. His failings were, ironicaly, dealing with failings. And getting in flame wars..
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really don't get all of this - if you disagree with what somebody thinks or says, just ignore it. I know debate is healthy, but not at the expense of losing some of the most knowledgable, helpful and experienced contributors on this forum.

Jim Williams knows 100x what most of could ever dream of knowing about electronics and it's nothing but a shame that most of his posts are going.

Just my 2c.
Old 20th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
On the OTHER hand, there's probably something to be said for being slightly humble in your approach to other people... even if you don't technically have to...
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson ➡️
On the OTHER hand, there's probably something to be said for being slightly humble in your approach to other people... even if you don't technically have to...
ESPECIALLY if you don't have to...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^SHOULD be a sticky. Or maybe it should have to be memorized and recited before one can advance from Middle School to High School.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK ➡️
I really don't get all of this - if you disagree with what somebody thinks or says, just ignore it.
Aren't you disagreeing with someone in this sentence?

The people who didn't ignore it?

Did you ignore that or comment?
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
May I purpose that this be pasted on the home page next to the GS logo ?
& thank you Joel.
Old 11th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d ➡️
May I purpose that this be pasted on the home page next to the GS logo ?
& thank you Joel.
Old 11th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Old 23rd December 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Who are you talking about? Jim?

Sometimes he's HALARIOUS!
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciozzi ➡️
Jim Williams "upgrading" equipment means, him removing any colour or distortion from the signal path, in order to make the equipment sound as clean as possible. What's the point in buying a GAP73 or any other Neve inspired pre to later mod it (or upgrade it, if you like the word better) to make it sound clean ?!?!?

I really don't understand GS sometimes....
So essentially what you don't understand is why Jim thinks a clean signal chain should be the first principle of studio design?

I do.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➡️
Maybe that sort of thing sounds better to some of us. It not like you can't change it back if you don't like it. And no one is forcing you to do what Jim recommends, he's just offering up his advice.

I personally like the fact that most the equipment I use is modified and personalized. I don't want to use what everyone else has, I want something different and unique. And Jim has helped me and many others accomplish that goal without breaking the bank.
second that emotion
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciozzi ➡️
Sure, I'm just saying, if you like the Jim Williams' modded version better, maybe...you've picked the wrong pre to being with...
wow, dude really?

I too have worked with Jim and virtually all of my rack is "modded" by him.

Jim helped me define the principle of the clean signal chain.

It is so simple and elemental, of course, like the zen mantra he and I grew up with back in the day, less is more.

His interview in Tape Op when he said, why would an artist like Zappa color his equipment, that is his talent - to paraphrase of course - rings very true to me.

Are you recording a great artist or are you taking sound and creating a cartoon version, Pixair quality maybe but a cartoon just the same?

Maybe extreme but there is a principle here and it is consistent and simple and elegant.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights ➡️
I don't think this is a profit motive thing--after all, for every person who does his own Jim-Williams-Inspired-Mod, 3 more probably want him to do it for them.

Curiously, he no longer accepts PMs either.
What I suggest is that y'all give him a call, he is not a recluse and if you want to talk with someone that is as passionate as any here, you will be rewarded.

Have my own thread dealing with my journey back to the music biz after a couple of decades and we all know the vibe from some, maybe jealousy, bad day whatever.

Thing is Jim loves what he does and shares willingly with people who are as passionate as he is and don't waste his time.

My opinions by the way, not speaking for Jim but go to AudioUpgrades.com if you think Jim is lost.

Earth to GSsrs, there are other sites on the net, great as GS can be sometimes.

G

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
for my part, JW's posts were at least equal part "grumpy old man" counterbalancing the advice.

I agree it's a shame to lose that source of knowledge in some areas, but I wouldn't miss the opinionated irrelevance that peppered half his comments.
I am always amazed at how someone's comments here, especially regarding a legend, can come down to this...

"He hurt my feelings"...

Do you also say, well, Stalin did some really bad things but was a prince of a guy, very polite.

Haha, I made myself laugh, nothing personal dude just scoreboard.

G

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise ➡️
Is that an objective criticism?

I fall in between his stance and some of the others here. We have to at least attempt to use an emperical method to tell what is audible and what is not. Jim's strength was his knowledge of electronics, his failings were his inability to quantify the perceptual effect of things like dialectric distortion beyond "Well, I can hear them".

It's all abit complicated to battle out on Gearslutz as there's alot of confirmation bias and ego to deal with in a crowd. For the criticisms of Ethan Whiner, he attempted to bypass this by setting up blind experiments. His failings were, ironicaly, dealing with failings. And getting in flame wars..
Jim's strength is that he is a musician as well as a tech and an engineer with a working studio, calls it his lab, so he lab tests his theories before he offers the mod and what he is telling you is get a 20 year old Expressor for 100 bucks and let him clean it and you will have a piece of gear that is worth 10 times the 250 you paid sound-wise.

And he doesn't say I can hear them. He tests them, meaning I heard them and after all, isn't the subjective judgement of the sound, something that can never be right or wrong what it is about.

So, I listened and the results are stunning.

I have no problem with your opinion mind you, what I have a problem with is leading people to think that Jim is random or quirky.

He is not, really is a scientist who proves what can't be proven with specs to himself and tells his friends how cool it is.

I am glad I get in on that.

Very tribal, an artisan.

We need more of that in the USA and the world.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➡️
...I'm unsubscribed, so I didn't see that...
well played sirs
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip ➡️
Im a huge fan of Steve Carell, too bad he quit the office
dude he didnt quit he is getting 20 million a movie
Old 18th January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➡️
I am always amazed at how someone's comments here, especially regarding a legend, can come down to this...

"He hurt my feelings"...

Do you also say, well, Stalin did some really bad things but was a prince of a guy, very polite.

Haha, I made myself laugh, nothing personal dude just scoreboard.

G

G
Learn to multi quote already!

I don't see why you have a problem.

Jim might be a "legend" when it comes to gear, and you obviously know him personally.

He's NOT a recognized name when it comes to recording or for that matter politics, though his posts would have you believe otherwise!

So I think it's perfectly fine to respect someone's ability in one area without taking then seriously in others.

No hurt feelings here, it's just a shame Jim's tainted his rep with some of his posts. I'm sure he doesn't care.

So yeah - "legend"? Hmm...biased much?!

I think maybe you need to realise "clean" is not necessarily the aim for many of us. I've just mixed a major label ep which was basically the sound of decapitator!
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
Correct me if I'm wrong. The topic of the thread is where did Jim William's posts go.

We're trying to figure out why he left and debating what "abuse" he may have taken to warrant him leaving.

Quite a few posters are claiming that Jim was treated unfairly or alluding to that and I'd like to know why. As I was one of the posters that took him to task. I still think him leaving had nothing to do with me but I am curious about what people think about how we need to treat each other so that valued members don't leave the forum.

It's probably petty but if we can't figure out why this happened in the first place, we can't really do better in the future.

And if Jim requires an apology in order to return, then I'm sure many of us would welcome that.
Kenny,

It has nothing to do with anything that y'all are talking about, with all due respect.

The noise here, the trolls, etc were wasting his time. My theory, now, from my discussions with him.

He recently commented on a post on a thread I have discussing a studio build using his principle of the clean signal chain, so he is still happy to converse in an atmosphere that stimulates us all.

He loves being in the studio, doing his mods - he always had them out before I called to tell him I saw they arrived in Carlsbad.

And I called him cold after reading about him, though we probably knew of each other in the mid 70s when he was a tech for Producer's Workshop - anybody remember the legendary Stephens 24 track, 100 pounds Aja/Gaucho? - here right about when this thread started.

I can only say, as Mark Twain did that reports of Jim's demise are greatly exaggerated.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
That doesn't excuse any behavior IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
If you have an emotional reaction to a forum post, seek professional help immediately.

As Bill Hicks said, I am not kidding.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X ➡️
That's what you wrote.

Are you saying now that you didn't report him as you've already admitted to. Please explain how my statement was in anyway dishonest?.

You clearly would not have reported him unless you wanted him reprimanded.

Actually I'm done. ... as it's been fun and I can see now that you can only see yourself as being in the right and you are an expert at spin. Spin away...
Oh brother:

Repeat:

If you have an emotional reaction to a forum post, seek professional help immediately.

As Bill Hicks said, I am not kidding.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➡️

Yo, Kenny.

Maybe a little vacation?

Methinks someone needs to drive out to the Church of God and drop some peyote.

You're takin' all this **** WAYYYYYYYYy serious, dude.

May you find whatever it is your heart truly needs!

Cheers, man, and all the best.

been there done that
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Jim might be a "legend" when it comes to gear, and you obviously know him personally.

He's NOT a recognized name when it comes to recording or for that matter politics, though his posts would have you believe otherwise!

So I think it's perfectly fine to respect someone's ability in one area without taking then seriously in others.

No hurt feelings here, it's just a shame Jim's tainted his rep with some of his posts. I'm sure he doesn't care.

I think maybe you need to realise "clean" is not necessarily the aim for many of us. I've just mixed a major label ep which was basically the sound of decapitator!
1. Forgive me for not following your tribal communication format, but I am old and bored with computers after 32 years of working with them.

2. As Tao 27 said 5,000 years ago, if you care what people think of you, you become their prisoner, this ain't TMZ dude. If you want a resume to mix your next track, plenty of "names". I use my ears not my rep meter, but to each his own.

I have never seen Jim in a post suggest he was some recognized name. He states objectively what his credentials are and what informs his opinion so one can make an honest judgement as to its value.

3. Clean of course is not the goal but the starting point. Jim and I can take a clean recording of ours and make it as dirty as yours. Then we can give you a clean version too. Personally, if I were Picasso, I wouldn't want Matisse doing the background on the canvas before I started.

I think the reference there is Picasso's Blue(S) period, coincidentally around the time Alan Lomax was recording Robert Johnson chronologically.

4. EP for a major label? Unlike the 70s that is an oxymoron today, creatively speaking, imho.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

you say...tainted his rep - what does a rep sound like?

you say...NOT a recognized name - what does a recognized name sound like?

you say..."legend" facetiously - I say it with respect because I know what that sounds like...

sitting in my second bedroom at 12 AM Hawai'i time playing Black Dog through a couple of Jim's Expressor's on my mix bus on my Focal Twin Be's at 95 db, windows wide open and playing my congas...

I say...that's what Jim Williams sounds like.

G
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
One more thing...so you are very proud of your decapitator sound?

In my opinion just about all dirty records have a hint of the master
of dirt, Frank Zappa.

Guess who cleaned up all Frank's guitars for a clean signal chain so he could get that dirty sound.

Look it up and send a thank you to the guy who did that.

G

🎧 15 years
Quote:
1. Forgive me for not following your tribal communication format, but I am old and bored with computers after 32 years of working with them.

2. As Tao 27 said 5,000 years ago, if you care what people think of you, you become their prisoner, this ain't TMZ dude. If you want a resume to mix your next track, plenty of "names". I use my ears not my rep meter, but to each his own.

I have never seen Jim in a post suggest he was some recognized name. He states objectively what his credentials are and what informs his opinion so one can make an honest judgement as to its value.

3. Clean of course is not the goal but the starting point. Jim and I can take a clean recording of ours and make it as dirty as yours. Then we can give you a clean version too. Personally, if I were Picasso, I wouldn't want Matisse doing the background on the canvas before I started.

I think the reference there is Picasso's Blue(S) period, coincidentally around the time Alan Lomax was recording Robert Johnson chronologically.

4. EP for a major label? Unlike the 70s that is an oxymoron today, creatively speaking, imho.

G
1 - dead easy - it's that little "+" button on each post, then hit post reply at the end. Might prevent the forum turning into a 1-poster rant...

2 - I have. Claim to work with some famous name, then offer a piece of recording advice. When I say "offer" I mean condescend and state that any way other than his is the wrong way. When actually he provided gear for said star, he didn't record them. I made tea for Ewan McGregor once, does that make me Danny Boyle?

"He states objectively what his credentials are and what informs his opinion so one can make an honest judgement as to its value." I'm sorry, are we talking about the same Jim Williams? I don't recognise this character from GS, but then I don't know him personally.

3 - That's clever of you! I can also make a clean recording - I choose clean gear to make it. It's just that why not start with the sound you want? this sounds a little like "fix it in the mix" to me. Good art reference too. I like that picasso with the guitar...

4 - thank you for your opinion. I'll be sure to pass that on. I'm sure it won't be laughed at ("what? some nameless poster online thinks a "major label EP" is an oxymoron?! Quick, cancel the pressing and drop the artist!"). How many major labels are based in Hawaii exactly? Maybe they are, I have no idea...anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure it won't do me any harm at any rate!

Quote:
you say...tainted his rep - what does a rep sound like?

you say...NOT a recognized name - what does a recognized name sound like?

you say..."legend" facetiously - I say it with respect because I know what that sounds like...
A rep doesn't sound like anything of course. As you know, I'm talking about JW's mouth spoiling his reputation. I'm sure he's a great tech expert; however, I wouldn't send anything to him to mod because I don't really respect him as a person. I'm not the only person who feels this way. I'm sure he doesn't care either.

recognised name? someone who actually makes records for a living maybe? Rather than just talks like they do....

I'm sure JW is a "legend" when it comes to electronics. He's NOT a legend when it comes to recording. He talks like he is at times - and more to the point, he condescends in a way the actual legends don't - either on-line or in person.

Quote:
sitting in my second bedroom at 12 AM Hawai'i time playing Black Dog through a couple of Jim's Expressor's on my mix bus on my Focal Twin Be's at 95 db, windows wide open and playing my congas...

I say...that's what Jim Williams sounds like.

G
I'd say that's what Led Zep sounds like.....I don't think JW recorded it!

Quote:
One more thing...so you are very proud of your decapitator sound?
Yep, I like what I did thanks!

Quote:
In my opinion just about all dirty records have a hint of the master
of dirt, Frank Zappa.

Guess who cleaned up all Frank's guitars for a clean signal chain so he could get that dirty sound.

Look it up and send a thank you to the guy who did that.

G
Hm...can't ever recall having listened to zappa past curiosity. the good bits are good, the impressive bits are impressive, there's a lot of crap and a fair amount of good stuff.

I don't think either he or JW can take the credit for much that I do in that case.

As I said, I'm sure JW's great at modding gear. It's when he condescends on recording technique I glaze over. I just don't see how the guy can have as much studio experience as some of the guys he lectures (see wwittman above, who IMO qualifies for the "recording legend" tag) whilst still doing all these mods. Is there enough hours in the day?

Don't get arsey 'cos someone dissed your bud, if someone's determined to be that confrontational, they're going to get a few people's backs up. Nothing wrong with that - I don't think isn't entitled to say what he does - just don't expect that he's going to be worshipped by all.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thanks dude, appreciate you giving an old timer a hand.

Again, I am not talking about credentials but you are, like I said, I have listened to the stuff and it kicks butt. If you have not, your comments objectively are your opinion of what it sounds like based on your opinion of a person. That is pretty crazy, no?

"He states objectively what his credentials are and what informs his opinion so one can make an honest judgement as to its value."

I'm sorry, are we talking about the same Jim Williams? I don't recognise this character from GS, but then I don't know him.

Of course you don't because you invented your own character for some reason, cause guess what, you just said it dude. You know a character from GS not Jim Williams...like the zen story about the elephant and the blind man who touches the tail and thinks it is a snake. I talk to a man named Jim Williams who says he can make my gear sound great, he does and I tell people about it.

Which do you think closer to truth? Not saying you would like the sound, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla but at least I know I am eating ice cream.

3 - That's clever of you! I can also make a clean recording - I choose clean gear to make it. It's just that why not start with the sound you want? this sounds a little like "fix it in the mix" to me. Good art reference too. I like that picasso with the guitar...

Start with the sound you want? Of course, but I have learned that I am not that good.

Virtually every record of mine short of a live recording sounds very little like what I imagined when I went in the studio. But I respect that if your process is different and give props.

I do know first hand though that at least 75% of the great legendary sounds you hear are because that was the stuff they had in the studio that day, not a grand plan.

Ha, you must be from Europe, knew I would get you on that art ref, Americans don't know who they are.

4 - thank you for your opinion. I'll be sure to pass that on. I'm sure it won't be laughed at ("what? some nameless poster online thinks a "major label EP" is an oxymoron?! Quick, cancel the pressing and drop the artist!"). How many major labels are based in Hawaii exactly? Maybe they are, I have no idea...anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure it won't do me any harm at any rate!

Ha ha you are out of your element Donnie...fyi, I may be nameless in addition to having sold about 10 million records back in the day, I was the CFO of the largest independent entertainment merch company in the world for 4 years up until a couple of years ago so I know the business far better than you may realize objectively.

Truth is that a major act that does their two year rotation tour, they take in 250 million from live, 50 million from merch and about 25 million from the CD...

Tell me who is major - as Dylan would say, those labels are only a pawn in the game.

Point is that the record company is no longer the dog, they are the tail, AEG Live Nation, et al are the dog and it can hunt.

A rep doesn't sound like anything of course. As you know, I'm talking about JW's mouth spoiling his reputation. I'm sure he's a great tech expert; however, I wouldn't send anything to him to mod because I don't really respect him as a person. I'm not the only person who feels this way. I'm sure he doesn't care either.

Wow, and anyone should care that you are potentially lowering the quality of your sound and compromising the quality of your client records because you don't like the way someone talked to you online? Have I got it right?

No additional comment needed.

recognised name? someone who actually makes records for a living maybe? Rather than just talks like they do....

So you have missed my point completely that you are conducting an ad hominum attack on someone you don't actually know and who by the way helps people in your industry to do better work, objectively.

imho

G

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Again, I am not talking about credentials but you are, like I said, I have listened to the stuff and it kicks butt. If you have not, your comments objectively are your opinion of what it sounds like based on your opinion of a person. That is pretty crazy, no?
I've asked jim repeatedly to show us where we can hear his actual recordings. He's not even named an artist he's recorded. I'd love to hear what he's done. I tried!

Quote:
Of course you don't because you invented your own character for some reason, cause guess what, you just said it dude. You know a character from GS not Jim Williams...like the zen story about the elephant and the blind man who touches the tail and thinks it is a snake. I talk to a man named Jim Williams who says he can make my gear sound great, he does and I tell people about it.
All I have to go on is what he writes online. What else have I got to go on? I see someone's posts, I form an opinion of them. If I don't like how the guy talks, I'm not going to trust him with money am I?

Quote:
Start with the sound you want? Of course, but I have learned that I am not that good.

Virtually every record of mine short of a live recording sounds very little like what I imagined when I went in the studio. But I respect that if your process is different and give props.

I do know first hand though that at least 75% of the great legendary sounds you hear are because that was the stuff they had in the studio that day, not a grand plan.
It does depend. As much as possible I'd try to capture the final result. Doesn't always work. But can. At any rate, not all gear has to be uber clean. And if it does...why not buy a clean piece of gear in the first place?

It does mean that most of the music I LIKE isn't uber clean....but that's taste.

Quote:
Wow, and anyone should care that you are potentially lowering the quality of your sound and compromising the quality of your client records because you don't like the way someone talked to you online? Have I got it right?

No additional comment needed.

So you have missed my point completely that you are conducting an ad hominum attack on someone you don't actually know.
Not really. I'll spend my money on quality elsewhere. I'm not attacking anyone. I've repeatedly said I respect someone's skill whilst not really wanting anything to do with them in person. I have plenty of access to quality gear for clients!

Quote:
He is not anything but a person who can make your music sound better, in my opinion but your ego won't let you find out if it is true. Your loss.
I would say it's more that JW's ego that potentially costs him sales, but I'm sure he's more busy than he needs to be, so it probably doesn't matter to him.

My ego? I don't really see why spending money with companies and people you respect is a matter of ego.

Quote:
Ha ha you are out of your element Donnie...fyi, I may be nameless in addition to having sold about 10 million records back in the day, I was the CFO of the largest entertainment merch company in the world for 4 years up until a couple of years ago so I know the business far better than you may realize objectively.
Who's donnie?! I'm sure you're a big name with all the achievements you mention..but at this point you're "GNWT" and no more, no less...

Quote:
Truth is that a major act that does their two year rotation tour, they take in 250 million from live, 50 million from merch and about 25 million from the CD...
I'm not sure this is relevant...I was just referring to a "major label" in the accepted term. You define major in your own terms, but I'm using the conventional ones. I just mean my work is rated by the industry, nothing to do with sales. Might well sell 50 copies!

Quote:
Tell me who is major - as Dylan would say, your only a pawn in the game.
I'm pretty sure Dylan would know the difference between "your" and "you are"....ouch, cheap shot...but admittedly no cheaper than many of yours!

Quote:
Point is that the record company is no longer the dog, they are the tail, AEG Live Nation, et al are the dog and it can hunt.
Didn't say they weren't?! is this relevant to JW?!
Closed
Topic: