Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ears2thesky ➑️
Yeah, a real Class Act. Who wouldn't miss this kind of technical insight?
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds11 ➑️
You drum? Can we hear your music? I feel like it would be prettty sick. fast rock?
Sure, Jim Williams owns all the mechanical rights and Slipperman all the writing credits. Ask them for copies.
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Williams ➑️
Just because this needs sharing.

I once was an unwitting acompliss (person who stood around whilst crime happened, can't spell it) to a burglary where a man (man a) stole someone else's cactus, to be more specific, I went out to a gig one night with a crew and Man A jumped a fence and cut 3 foot of someone elses plant then he and everyone else got ****ing wasted... Anyways, the guy (man b) who I blamed for getting me involved with all that got his come uppance, I waited 'til he double dropped some acid tabs, spider webs or something and then I went into his room where he was flopping around on his bed and sat next to him sucking back NO2 bulbs and talking in a deep voice saying "do you subscribe to randomness" over and over and over until he screamed "YES!" so I, having been given permission of sorts, undid the fitted sheet from around his bed and kind of put him in a sack which I hoisted over my shoulder and took outside... I tipped him out on his front lawn and stood with one foot on his chest and said that he should think before he subscribes.
Man A was an interesting one, some years later I found myself in the employ of his uncle painting an extension to his house for peanuts, anyways, I used a ten inch wide roller to paint a massive cock and the word **** along the wall of this wonderful underground granny flat bed sit thing... You can still see it under like four coats of paint... Well I can, Man A can and his uncle can, his nan can't she's blind and a loverly old dear but when I say this, do not annoy me, I mean it.

Luckily, you have entertained me with your post. Thanks. In future though, if you're going to suggest people go tripping, how about you offer a ride and a meal too? Maybe so it doesn't seem so tongue in cheek. Lest you annoy me.

If that's a true story you're lucky to be alive. Why you felt the need to share that, I will never know. Lastly, I know lots of weirdos and freaks of all sorts, but some of the people on this board as of late are really making me question what this world is becoming.

Carry on.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just because this needs sharing.

I once was an unwitting acompliss (person who stood around whilst crime happened, can't spell it) to a burglary where a man (man a) stole someone else's cactus, to be more specific, I went out to a gig one night with a crew and Man A jumped a fence and cut 3 foot of someone elses plant then he and everyone else got ****ing wasted... Anyways, the guy (man b) who I blamed for getting me involved with all that got his come uppance, I waited 'til he double dropped some acid tabs, spider webs or something and then I went into his room where he was flopping around on his bed and sat next to him sucking back NO2 bulbs and talking in a deep voice saying "do you subscribe to randomness" over and over and over until he screamed "YES!" so I, having been given permission of sorts, undid the fitted sheet from around his bed and kind of put him in a sack which I hoisted over my shoulder and took outside... I tipped him out on his front lawn and stood with one foot on his chest and said that he should think before he subscribes.
Man A was an interesting one, some years later I found myself in the employ of his uncle painting an extension to his house for peanuts, anyways, I used a ten inch wide roller to paint a massive cock and the word **** along the wall of this wonderful underground granny flat bed sit thing... You can still see it under like four coats of paint... Well I can, Man A can and his uncle can, his nan can't she's blind and a loverly old dear but when I say this, do not annoy me, I mean it.

Luckily, you have entertained me with your post. Thanks. In future though, if you're going to suggest people go tripping, how about you offer a ride and a meal too? Maybe so it doesn't seem so tongue in cheek. Lest you annoy me.
I ain't been on here in weeks (month?)...thankfully work has started to pick up, and the economy seems on the mend a bit.

So...I come back and see this?

All I can say is WTF?

Lay off the hard stuff man. It's like a bad, bad Hunter S. Thompson episode, but far less sophisticated. Actually, mentioning H.S. Thompson in the same sentence as what you wrote is demeaning to the late Mr. Thompson.

What does this have to do with Jim Williams anyway?

Good to read wwittman, karloff, Kenny, Unity, and Sqye's posts though.

Glad to see there are good people still on here. THAT'S the reason I come back.

If GS deteriorates into input like that post above, I'm not sure I'll be back for a long, long while.

Hope everybody is working, and making $!
Peace,
john
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, this is like a High School drama club meeting. Jeez.

/unsubscribe
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic ➑️

If that's a true story you're lucky to be alive. Why you felt the need to share that, I will never know. Lastly, I know lots of weirdos and freaks of all sorts, but some of the people on this board as of late are really making me question what this world is becoming.

Carry on.
I share because I care.

Here's an idea, how about we all stop sharing new things and just focus on recycling the same old ****.

Like Hollywood.
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfish ➑️
jeebus............
how often do you get the ever lovin' **** beaten out of you?
Not often enough judging by his posts
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Do you ever really wish that you'd subscribed to a thread, so that you could unsubscribe from it?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanker ➑️
Not often enough judging by his posts
Wanna fight?
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I only ask because the internet sure isn't for business and I don't need sex right now... So, why are we here? Btw, I love everything. So, I'm a good guy...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I only ask because the internet sure isn't for business and I don't need sex right now... So, why are we here? Btw, I love everything. So, I'm a good guy...
Do you love money? Ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"? Sure you don't fancy a Starbucks?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Do you love money? Ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"? Sure you don't fancy a Starbucks?
I want clean money.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey ➑️
Do you ever really wish that you'd subscribed to a thread, so that you could unsubscribe from it?
Threads are like jobs, I don't have an alarm clock to get up in time for work, I'm retired now but I didn't in the past because work starts when the phone rings...

Kind of like a doctor waiting around in an emergency room although I'm the opposite, I've taken the hypocritical oath, one of sarcasm and death, and I sit here tooled up waiting for a strong leader type to call me again and say kill..

What? I'm allowed to kill for money but not pleasure?

Same with music? Only make for you to earn with adds alongside? Go **** yourselves... I'm not trolling here, just being honest.

I don't even like myself anymore let alone people and when I get on the internet I start thinking about ways to make you all bleed out your arses then burst veins in your heads... Die internet scum.

P.S Some of you are okay. Yachts in the mail...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I want clean money.
Welcome to Costco, I love you.
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bill, man! To say your location is Earth after reading some of these posts is..well, speculative!

Keep on keeping on, or at least don't not keep on keeping on!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise ➑️
Bill, man! To say your location is Earth after reading some of these posts is..well, speculative!

Keep on keeping on, or at least don't not keep on keeping on!
You, the but plugger...

Anyways, what ****s me is people, sometimes really "powerful" people like teachers or vets, think that ****ing aliens built the Pyramids... Aliens...

****ing Aliens would suck on your face not build a pile a stones and **** off...

So...

Here's a piece of history. Slaves built the Pyramids and they were payed in salt, blocks of salt called a salary.

You are all slaves to your ****ing banks. Suck my freedom. I rob banks.

Old 8th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Death Warrants. Pen and paper. ;(
Attached Thumbnails
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?-photo-2012-11-08-21.33.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the meds are slightly off.

Do you got any blues?

That may calm you down.

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe ➑️
-.-
Do you got any blues?
I love these guys;

SoundClick artist: The High Street Blues Band - page with MP3 music downloads

Once apon a time, listening to them kept me indoors and all you safe...

Now I can't listen any more due to local council laws restricting noise, smoking and alcohol...

It's only a matter of time...
Old 9th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Satire?
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➑️
Satire?
You mean one of those guys with a goat body? I doubt he's one of those.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Wanna bet?
Old 13th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Decided to work with Jim...

Personally, I am having 4 651s and a couple of dbxs and a 612 worked on by Jim because, OBJECTIVELY...

Jim's philosophy is to record the clean sound. He has stated in interviews that (my paraphrase) this will enhance the virtues of an artist by not disguising his creativity.

Later, if that creativity is found to be lacking, one can give it "character", BUT...

if the "character is built into the "sound", you can't go back to the creativity.

Although, like Jim, I go back a long way, the above is not a subjective opinion, but an exercise in logic.

G

btw...there is only one Aretha, don't fret Rhia lovers...only one Sam Cook too
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➑️

if the "character is built into the "sound", you can't go back to the creativity.

Although, like Jim, I go back a long way, the above is not a subjective opinion, but an exercise in logic.

G
Of course it is subjective. I would argue that in fact it's wrong.

If you know that you want a colored sound, you should go for that sound. The performer needs to perform "into" that sound. How do you replcate the sound of a Neve or Telefunken preamp after the fact?

And what about guitars? Do we record those clean as well?

If some people prefer clean, that's fine with me. It's your record. But don't tell me I'm wrong for recording dirty or that recording clean is better when you want dirty in the end. It's not.

Although, my answer is still subjective. As is yours.

Enjoy.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWT ➑️
Personally, I am having 4 651s and a couple of dbxs and a 612 worked on by Jim because, OBJECTIVELY...

Jim's philosophy is to record the clean sound. He has stated in interviews that (my paraphrase) this will enhance the virtues of an artist by not disguising his creativity.

Later, if that creativity is found to be lacking, one can give it "character", BUT...

G

btw...there is only one Aretha, don't fret Rhia lovers...only one Sam Cook too
I have five 651s modified by Jim, three of which have a special custom mod that AFAIK I am the only one aside from Jim to own. You should ask him about that if you're not already aware of it. I like them and Jim's philosophy very much. Historically, I have come from very much of an extreme purist audiophile point of view. But as I have worked with more and more clients, I have come to value a wider palette of textures. I would guess that Jim's extra special 651 mod takes these units pretty far towards the pinnacle of what Jim believes in, and I find them quite useful. However, I typically prefer tube mics and electronics, of which I own some very high end examples, not for their distortion characteristics as much as their refinement. I have sometimes wondered if I've noticed a subtle hardness to the sound of the 651s that I'm not always thrilled with, though I am certain that I prefer Jim's modded version to the stock units by far.

My point is that there are certainly many circumstances where I am looking for warmth and sweetness even when prioritizing high fidelity transparency. I believe Jim's mods get me closer to that ideal but they are not always a suitable replacement for what I look for in the best tube equipment.

In any case, it takes all kinds, and if you are looking for distortion, obviously look elsewhere. The fact that Jim is passionate and vocal about his approach doesn't negate his usefulness. To the contrary, it enables us to learn all the more about that very useful approach.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
I used to listen to him. I guess the day I turned pro is the day he told me to throw away all my Gefell mics. He couldn't figure out why I wanted em with no RFI. Said why color a mic when you can use an EQ after it. Ultimately, he would not touch em. After a tiny bit of research I found a simple (NON JW) mod to the mic cable XLR got em all working again in a high RF environment, and I turned pro that day,..... Woohoo!

I still think JW has some great observations, but like everything else, you have to take those suggestions in the context from which they come. ie: if you like uber fast, transparent, low distortion, and clean - JW's your man! If your perspective is different - prepare to be chided.
Yeah, Jim always, I mean it really seems always, posts with this 'father knows best' attitude. I suppose it's fine to be that sure of your righteousness, but when he peppers the same post with politics it gets a bit much. A while back it seemed like every other post of his had a comment on illegal immigrants (i.e. mexicans), and it just seemed to be in bad taste, not to mention way OT.

I met Jim at AES Los Angeles (1996) and asked him about an Orban EQ I was thinking of upgrading, and he basically told me to take a hike. Yet here on GS he posts that he mods them

Whatever. I don't mind that he posts here, there's info to be learned for sure, even if you have to read through his political comments and father knows best attitude.
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm seeing some kind of philosophical train wreck approaching if the father in question happened to be Mexican.
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
There's a certain level of consistency in philosophy if one's view is things should be done the "right way" but is frustrated by perceived compromises in both gear and public policy when measured against the "right way."
Old 15th November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago ➑️
Maybe he's in rehab, maybe he's lost in Costco, maybe he just got a new dog and has to walk him a lot, maybe he's on a wilderness trip modifying some trees so they don't make no noise when the wind it blows, maybe he's got some new trim and realized that having some new trim is better than just about anything. At any rate, it's a trip to see all the speculating in this thread. His new shorty probably has him tied up and gagged with a ping pong ball and is making him read all this ****e as she whips him with a length of pure silver wire and showers him with crushed up burnt toast crumbs.
Had to abandon my lurker status to quote this one. The "on a wilderness trip modifying trees so they don't make noise when the wind blows" bit had me laughing my head off. I've always enjoyed his technical posts. Fail to really see the big to-do about him being opinionated/snarky; frankly on a forum like this, which exists at least in part to offer advice on very expensive and personalized purchases, it's nice to know a guy's philosophy before taking his word on whether or not a piece of gear is worth it.
Old 15th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thread synopsis

Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands - YouTube
Closed
Topic: