Quantcast
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post? - Page 10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jim Williams: What's happening to all your post?
Old 8th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➡️
...unsubscribing...
NO GOD! PLEASE NO!!! NOOOOOOOOOO

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➡️
...I'm unsubscribed, so I didn't see that...
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➡️
...I'm unsubscribed, so I didn't see that...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
But you have to prove Vespa ownership to be allowed to post.
I think an Afro should also qualify to post or being a fashion model if one does not own the obligatory Vespa.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Say what you want but that was WAY funny!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture ➡️
Say what you want but that was WAY funny!
Im a huge fan of Steve Carell, too bad he quit the office
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks ➡️
I think an Afro should also qualify to post or being a fashion model if one does not own the obligatory Vespa.
Surely just proof of owning everything The Who ever recorded would be enough?

(are we even making the same Mod joke here?!)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
(are we even making the same Mod joke here?!)
“Uh, no… I'm a mocker”
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Maybe if Jim grew an Afro he wouldn't be so uptight...

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The Mod Squad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -yes

Bob Ross-notsomuch

I also think if you owned (or still own) a VW Bus, that would count towards posting eligibility in the subforum.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Quote:
The Mod Squad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -yes

Bob Ross-notsomuch

I also think if you owned (or still own) a VW Bus, that would count towards posting eligibility in the subforum.
Now I get it! And I agree - afros to the fore.
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➡️
I don't go to Jim for advice on how to make records, I go to him for advice on op amps. I actually find Bob's thought on how to use dither properly the most helpful. Information like that is a lot more helpful than "we put a KM86 on everything"
says you!

I actually think using the same high quality mic on everything might be better and more important advice...

but I digress...

if JW had stuck to advice about electronic modifications, (the thing he knows something about) the whole extravaganza would not have occurred.
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Somebody made a happy accident.
Old 12th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman ➡️
says you!

I actually think using the same high quality mic on everything might be better and more important advice...

but I digress...

if JW had stuck to advice about electronic modifications, (the thing he knows something about) the whole extravaganza would not have occurred.

Perhaps, but in this particular case, I can't say as I disagree with Jim on the cost to value ratio of a $50k summing mixer for most studios in 2012 - considering the state of the music business. And ESPECIALLY for newbies with few clients and big dreams.

To all those who know what they're doing, they'll likely make the correct determinations.

As to newbie and less experienced producers, engineers and studio owners who are more vulnerable to advertising, promotion and marketing hype - why not issue a word of warning? In the end, it does little harm, IMO.

The folks who really appreciate - and perhaps have real applications for - the $50k summing mixer, will go for it and be served!

And, let's face it - JW knows a **** ton more than 99% of newbies about gear, period.

Granted, his perspective is not going to be nearly as valuable as YOURS when it comes to MIXING, but in terms of knowing the gear and having a realistic sense of what it's WORTH, JW's certainly in a position to at least give a newbie an IDEA - having a breadth of knowledge of gear components and specs, etc.

Again, it may not be helpful to you for mixing a record, but COULD be helpful to a newbie choosing gear for a new studio.

I certainly value JW's opinion on gear, components and specs.

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Knowing gear and knowing what it's worth to a working professional are two very different issues.

As you said, a Pro wouldn't listen to Jim anyway. And a newbie can't afford it anyway so it's really a moot point.

As I've said, if he wants to rant that spending 50k for a console is a waste of money he has that right. Even though it's going to be different for all of us.

But putting it in that thread does cause harm IMHO.

Think about why that thread was started. Was Jim on topic?
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy ➡️
The weird thing about internet forums (all of them) is that people initially register wanting to be told they're wrong about something in order to learn.

After they get bored and start posting "socially" for a few weeks however, it turns into a creepy small town with feuds and "off-limits" topics, etc. Then the function of the forum -- information exchange -- withers away and it becomes an echo chamber for a small group of people who all agree with one another even if they're 100% wrong.

In essence, I agree with you. The best posters are the ones who just state their opinions. The worst posters are the "beloved crowd-pleasers" who repeat hearsay just to avoid conflict and get pats on the back from pimply moderators.
Well I've pissed of an amazing amount of people with a straight up thought / opinion so I'm glad to know not everyone's against it HA!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
A businessman would consider a knowledgeable tech guy's opinion if the tech guy gave his opinion that the internals of XYZ product aren't worth $50K. Might or might not buy the product anyway. One has to wonder what the markup is on most gear anyway.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As you said, a Pro wouldn't listen to Jim anyway.
I used to listen to him. I guess the day I turned pro is the day he told me to throw away all my Gefell mics. He couldn't figure out why I wanted em with no RFI. Said why color a mic when you can use an EQ after it. Ultimately, he would not touch em. After a tiny bit of research I found a simple (NON JW) mod to the mic cable XLR got em all working again in a high RF environment, and I turned pro that day,..... Woohoo!

I still think JW has some great observations, but like everything else, you have to take those suggestions in the context from which they come. ie: if you like uber fast, transparent, low distortion, and clean - JW's your man! If your perspective is different - prepare to be chided.
Old 13th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I had started to see a change in Jim Williams. He had started to loosen up on the "Everything has to be DC to light, .00000001 THD+ noise" mantra a bit. He was modding ChiNeve boxes, he was talking about Valley compressors etc. And not just about modding Valleys, but how he liked the "squashing" and "color".

This is a LONG way from 2005 or whatever, when he was calling a 1073 "A noise generating Fuzz box" or what have you.

It was almost like he started to see the need to have these different types of gear around. Sometimes you need a scalpel or a razor blade, sometimes a machete or chainsaw. Bulldozer or F1 racer.

There is a need for all kinds of sh*t in our line of work. I thought he was starting to come around to this idea, or maybe he always knew, but just wasn't saying it.

Who knows. I made a comment a few pages back, and for all I know, I could have been the one who sent him over the edge. My apologies if so.

I was merely stating that taking an IC based console and hotrodding the living crap out of it does make a vast improvement, but it does not make it sound the same as a $50,000 discrete console with I/O transformers. Not better or worse...the SAME.

Which is better? Who knows. SSL vs. Neve? There are IC based Neves, there are discrete. Both great (mostly err, except 81 series maybe) but they certainly don't sound the same.

Jim, if you are reading this crap, I was NOT knocking your mods or your point of view, merely saying if you want that TYPE of sound. you don't have many options but to spend the money on a discrete console, old or new. They just cost more to manufacture, it is what it is. Not saying one is better than the other, sorry if I offended anybody.

Lotsa people like tracking via Neve or API or similar, and mixing on an SSL or similar...or at least they used to.

Everything has it's place.

One more time, they both are cool, but IMO they don't sound the same was my point. And I am glad they don't actually, as it gives us choices.

Jim has always been generous and helpful for the most part, and most of his mod info has made my gear sound WAY better. Not all of it, but a good deal.

Thanks for that much.

He can be an opinionated mofo, but can't we all? I know I am.

john
Old 13th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Knowing gear and knowing what it's worth to a working professional are two very different issues.

As you said, a Pro wouldn't listen to Jim anyway. And a newbie can't afford it anyway so it's really a moot point.

As I've said, if he wants to rant that spending 50k for a console is a waste of money he has that right. Even though it's going to be different for all of us.

But putting it in that thread does cause harm IMHO.

Think about why that thread was started. Was Jim on topic?
that's exactly it Kenny

he's NOT a working music professional

that 50k desk may be a waste of time for some (not all) but for a hobbyist, one could argue ANY investment, a $100 sm57, is a "waste of money"

when someone asks a gear USAGE question though, the answers remain the same irrespective of whether the questioner is in a position to benefit from the answer or not.

is an API 'worth it?" for you is an entirely different question than "is an API better sounding than a Behringer?"

and either question is better answered by people who make records.

if you told me you'd used a particular mic and loved it that means something to me.
Reading it from a gear seller, or JW, doesn't.
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Personally, I think anyone who contributes ideas and encourage people to look beyond the norm is helpful. Especially in the world of OEMs that try to make things cheaper at a price of performance.

I had someone PM me about mods and I haven't replied to my last one that PM me but things of this nature requires experimentation. That is how I do my mods.

And maybe he's some kinda E.E. guy. Which is fine. I find it entertaining. Although I would suggest to people to purchase the right thing because you can most likely get it used for the same amount as modding a new cheaper device.

as for the posts, this site like most websites has been backed up. the last backup was on Jul 25, 2011. anything after that is lost.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor ➡️
How far can you delete posts? Most of the forums I visit have a limit, like a a few hours or even as much as a day. After that the post stays. If there is no limit to delete or edit posts I find that weird. Too easy to break threads or stealth edit. This is why I use quotes when replying directly to someone. This way they cant delete or edit their way out if theres a disagreement.
Do you do that in real time in real life?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Williams ➡️
Do you do that in real time in real life?
That you, Jim?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
That you, Jim?
I'm 28 and I use my soldering iron as an instrument of torture.

So... No, I ****ing hope not.
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I don't think he's trying to delete all of his posts - is he? I see a lot deleted but they seem to be related to things people are giving him **** for. A lot of the technical discussion seems to remain. I can't believe he'd try to delete over 10,000 posts, or even try to selectively delete things to purposely remove his contributions to knowledge here.

Those who have heard his gear or benefited from his recommendations know Jim is the man.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye ➡️

Yo, Kenny.

Maybe a little vacation?

Methinks someone needs to drive out to the Church of God and drop some peyote.

You're takin' all this **** WAYYYYYYYYy serious, dude.

May you find whatever it is your heart truly needs!

Cheers, man, and all the best.

Just because this needs sharing.

I once was an unwitting acompliss (person who stood around whilst crime happened, can't spell it) to a burglary where a man (man a) stole someone else's cactus, to be more specific, I went out to a gig one night with a crew and Man A jumped a fence and cut 3 foot of someone elses plant then he and everyone else got ****ing wasted... Anyways, the guy (man b) who I blamed for getting me involved with all that got his come uppance, I waited 'til he double dropped some acid tabs, spider webs or something and then I went into his room where he was flopping around on his bed and sat next to him sucking back NO2 bulbs and talking in a deep voice saying "do you subscribe to randomness" over and over and over until he screamed "YES!" so I, having been given permission of sorts, undid the fitted sheet from around his bed and kind of put him in a sack which I hoisted over my shoulder and took outside... I tipped him out on his front lawn and stood with one foot on his chest and said that he should think before he subscribes.
Man A was an interesting one, some years later I found myself in the employ of his uncle painting an extension to his house for peanuts, anyways, I used a ten inch wide roller to paint a massive cock and the word **** along the wall of this wonderful underground granny flat bed sit thing... You can still see it under like four coats of paint... Well I can, Man A can and his uncle can, his nan can't she's blind and a loverly old dear but when I say this, do not annoy me, I mean it.

Luckily, you have entertained me with your post. Thanks. In future though, if you're going to suggest people go tripping, how about you offer a ride and a meal too? Maybe so it doesn't seem so tongue in cheek. Lest you annoy me.

Last edited by Bill Williams; 7th November 2012 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Added smiley for protection from Mod Squad
Quote:
Just because this needs sharing.

I once was an unwitting acompliss (person who stood around whilst crime happened, can't spell it) to a burglary where a man (man a) stole someone else's cactus, to be more specific, I went out to a gig one night with a crew and Man A jumped a fence and cut 3 foot of someone elses plant then he and everyone else got ****ing wasted... Anyways, the guy (man b) who I blamed for getting me involved with all that got his come uppance, I waited 'til he double dropped some acid tabs, spider webs or something and then I went into his room where he was flopping around on his bed and sat next to him sucking back NO2 bulbs and talking in a deep voice saying "do you subscribe to randomness" over and over and over until he screamed "YES!" so I, having been given permission of sorts, undid the fitted sheet from around his bed and kind of put him in a sack which I hoisted over my shoulder and took outside... I tipped him out on his front lawn and stood with one foot on his chest and said that he should think before he subscribes.
Man A was an interesting one, some years later I found myself in the employ of his uncle painting an extension to his house for peanuts, anyways, I used a ten inch wide roller to paint a massive cock and the word **** along the wall of this wonderful underground granny flat bed sit thing... You can still see it under like four coats of paint... Well I can, Man A can and his uncle can, his nan can't she's blind and a loverly old dear but when I say this, do not annoy me, I mean it.

Luckily, you have entertained me with your post. Thanks. In future though, if you're going to suggest people go tripping, how about you offer a ride and a meal too? Maybe so it doesn't seem so tongue in cheek. Lest you annoy me.
jeebus............
how often do you get the ever lovin' **** beaten out of you?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Is this off topic?
I don't believe there is one anymore.
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
You drum? Can we hear your music? I feel like it would be prettty sick. fast rock?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Many times a sound guy would come up to my band and tell me to turn down my guitar amp so he could "mix me". The level they would accept was practice in your kitchen levels, a table radio level.

After that, I would turn to the sound guy and say; "no worries, I'll fix that".

During the first song, I would swing around with my guitar and in one step I would turn up my master volume to "where it needs to be" and then kick the SM57 placed on my speakers clear off the stage.

Then the mix sounded great, the sound guy was left balancing the vocals and drums. I got my feedback, the sound guy got a lesson, the crowd was pleased.
Yeah, a real Class Act. Who wouldn't miss this kind of technical insight?
Closed
Topic: