Quantcast
Hate masters, from passion project--love premasters. Worth voicing opinion? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hate masters, from passion project--love premasters. Worth voicing opinion?
Old 18th September 2012
Hate masters, from passion project--love premasters. Worth voicing opinion?

I mixed a passion project for an artist and label i love even though i knew it wasn't economical, and i really dont like the masters....

Normally i'd say something, but i spent 16 days retracking and mixing the record, definitely pushing the labels budget. The label is very talented with pop music, but this is a little more dynamic and im not sure their goto mastering engineer is cutting it.

I cant afford to tie up much more time in this project, but Im conflicted about not liking the master.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Is this the "pre-master" mixdown or did you really "master" the project? Just wondering???
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
if you have the courage to post that profile picture, you should have no problem confronting the guy.

this from a fellow new yorker.
Old 19th September 2012
I did compress the tracks through my gseries, but only a db or two. My rms hitting between -20 and -15.

The pic was taken at like 4am after a night of much enjoyment. Lol. I'm not afraid to call out the mastering engineer, but more to draw this project out farther.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A final master with a 20db dynamic range is just not realistic in this day and age. Mastering engineers get their queues from labels and/or artists who don't want their product lost in the general fray of the loudness wars.

Sorry mate, as much as I agree with your sentiments regarding dynamics making music sound so much more musical... we live in the age of smash and clip.
Old 20th September 2012
Yeah, those were premasters hitting those levels. I'm hoping the masters hit in the -10 area.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…