Quantcast
Sun Tzu - The Art Of (the Loudness) War - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sun Tzu - The Art Of (the Loudness) War
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sun Tzu - The Art Of (the Loudness) War

Sun Tzu was a very wise man. His book, on the Art Of War, is known the world over. May one apply his timeless insights to the music industry? Did I miss anything important or interpret anything incorrectly? Any specific advice? I've added "(loudness)" below where appropriate.

Sun Tzu said:

The art of (the loudness) war is of vital importance to the State.

Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected.

All (loudness) warfare is based on deception.
- Increase perceived loudness with the deceptive illusion of dynamic range > louder wins the label's, artist's and peoples' short-term favor and $.

Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him (loudly).
- Compare your mix against a louder reference > louder is better > we're afraid of being less loud > let's crush this album too to win this loudness battle.

If he is taking his ease, give him no (loudness) rest.
- Even during soft passages or gentle love ballads, maintain the maximum perceived loudness. The people may hear this on the radio and it will compare poorly to a previous loudness maximized song.

These ...devices, leading to (loudness) victory, must not be divulged beforehand.
Before the competition or the masses know what hit them, they are thusly conquered by loudness.

It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of (the loudness) war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on.
This is so loudly true.

The direct (loudness) and the indirect (loudness) lead on to each other in turn. It is like moving in a circle—you never come to an end. Who can exhaust the possibilities of their (loudness) combination?
- Applying this loudness principle, the loudness war may be perpetuated endlessly... even without regard for the healthy and long-term loudness-maximized music listening of us and our progeny.

There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged (loudness) warfare.
- Did anyone else read Sun Tzu's Art Of (loudness) Warfare conclusion here? I'm really concerned about the Loudness War now.

Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm about to declare War on Loudness War threads.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by = F$ = ➡️
I'm about to declare War on Loudness War threads.
LOL... depending how you follow-up, you may be following Sun Tzu's principles and not realize. But, declaring war on a humorous take?
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I hate the mere sight of the phrase. Humorous or not.

but i will let you cook.

i also need to read that book one of these days.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I hate the mere sight of the phrase. Humorous or not.

but i will let you cook.

So true I guess :(

It's a really good read anyway. We all go through battles. And, it does contain much wisdom that never really changes over time (although much of it is very obscured due to the language and translations/interpretations).

Just google "Sun Tzu Art Of War pdf" and it pops right up, free online;

http://www.artofwarsuntzu.com/Art%20of%20War%20PDF.pdf
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory ➡️
But, declaring war on a humorous take?
Not just in jest, I think.....

Quote:
Yes.
Old 18th September 2012

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sun Tzu was a genius, and every thinking person should study The Art of War. It explains SO much of what we see going on around us, in so many areas. If you've ever wondered if our politicians might be lying to us about anything, read T.A.O.W. Then you will understand that they absolutely MUST lie to us about everything, all the time. Nothing is really as it seems, in business, politics, war, love, art ... anything really. Especially religion.

It explains why long drawn out battles have nothing to do with winning wars, and everything to do with rich people making themselves richer.

Do NOT read The Art of War if you have romantic notions about being a Patriot.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi ➡️
It explains why long drawn out battles have nothing to do with winning wars, and everything to do with rich people making themselves richer.
ahh dat good ol American foreign policy
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sun Tzu was a genius, and every thinking person should study The Art of War. It explains SO much of what we see going on around us, in so many areas.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny ➡️
Not just in jest, I think.....

either way
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"War! Huh, Good God y'all, What is it good for? Absolutely Nothin'..." - Leo Tolstoy
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you've ever wondered if our politicians might be lying to us about anything, read T.A.O.W. Then you will understand that they absolutely MUST lie to us about everything, all the time.
You should add Machiavelli's 'The Prince' to the reading list for exactly the same reasons.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
/
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…