Mastering engineers clipping ...wrong! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mastering engineers clipping ...wrong!
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X ➑️
No one is going to serve you well done steak if you ask for it rare.
Communication.
Good point
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
We are all casualties of the Loudness Wars.

including mastering engineers doing what they're paid to do
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It's really easy to ask the ME to deliver the final approval master twice, one by today's standards and another one with 3-4dB less limiter/saturation/clipping. Won't cost the world and gives the client the option to choose. No ME forces anyone to anything, most even do free test masters...
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
don't these people know what the volume knob is for?

if people can't be bothered to use the volume knob, why not just remove it entirely from mp3 players and audio systems, since they love making "loudness" so important.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey guys, good thread.

I got a track back from a reputable mastering house a while back. As soon as the track started (through my rig with Aurora convertors and Dynaudio monitors), clipping. Like pretty aggressively. It was only on certain peak hits, but there was definitely audible clipping distortion with these hits. My question is this: If I could hear it as soon as it started, how did the ME not??? This scares me...

In agreeance with a previous post, I think we as the mixing engineer need to communicate exactly what we want to the ME. If we don't tell them, we can't expect them to know. Most people nowadays want louder louder louder. It's a tough market to be in. Too quiet, you lose gigs. Too loud, cursed on GS.

JROD
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear
Nobody seems to be remarking on this, but what ever happened to pride of "workmanship"? Maybe it's an ego thing, but personally I'd NEVER let crap like this leave my doors, no matter what they paid me. Perhaps if the pay was immense enough, maybe have them sign some kind of contract stating they wouldn't reveal my name on the product. If over-the-top maximizing/clipping was continually demanded of me, and my survival depended on it, I would probably end up doing something else where the appreciation of quality trumped anything else.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i had a song i mixed that we (the producer, band, myself) thought was great sent to mastering and came back with very audible clipping all over the place. the producer chose the ME. i was basically offended that anyone calling themselves an ME would do something like that, this was without asking for loudness, just told him to do his thing and make it sound good. however the band and producer were happy with it and that's what got released. if it were up to me i would have asked for a complete remaster or a refund

i've also had great experiences with some ME's. my advice is find one (or a few in different price ranges) that serve your purpose and do it well and only go to them and also steer your clients towards them when you're not calling the shots.

edit: forgot to mention the ME that screwed it up actually cost more than the one i recommended that i had worked with in the past and i'm sure would have done a much better job
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, at least I'm not the only one...

JROD
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 ➑️
Well, at least I'm not the only one...

JROD
This is just my own subjective opinion, but much more often than not, whenever the tracks come back from the ME, I end up saying something like "WTF did he do to these mixes?". IMO it takes a HIGHLY skilled ME to get exceptional mixes to sound better than their current state, being that they have less to work with (2 tracks versus many, for example). More often than not, the end result is actually worse in my experience. But apparently now, since many don't take ownership of their work and are just puppets doing what they're told, this kind of thing seems to be happening more frequently.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So what youre saying is we need to learn to be our own mastering engineers???

I mean, we play guitar, bass, piano, drums, engineer, write, mix, produce, so why wouldn't we just learn to master too?

LOL

The ME is usually a fresh set of ears in my situation. I tend to track, edit, and mix all this stuff. It sure helps to get a thumbs up from someone on the outside of the project.

JROD
Lives for gear
Yeah a fresh set of ears is a definite plus! Just make sure you trust those ears.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvester217 ➑️
Yes, I know how it works, I play the game, but I don't like it.

I blame the labels,
I blame the dumbasses who started the race
and
I blame TC electronics for having released the Finalizer

Yeah, but they're not really to blame either. You see, NONE of this would exist IF there wasn't a demand for it. Research CLEARLY demonstrates that "louder" sells more. Google "loudness war."

If you don't like it DON'T BUY IT.... If you don't like it, DON'T DO IT yourself! It's really that simple.

In the end, the ME does what he's instructed to do.. (Most of the time anyway).

'
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…