Quantcast
Bands don't understand what I am offering... - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bands don't understand what I am offering...
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I love the reggae guys, but the funny part is I am similar in sprit, but don't look like them.. Image is overrated..
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Split personality? 'S? Even on GS?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No, ... Fletcher once posted about people hiding behind a "username" so I made a profile with my real name, but sometimes I just want real opinions and answers from the community without knowing my life history... Plus I know many things I say get misunderstood, and don't want to offend former clients.

I don't do middle it's either big or nothing... sucks!

How the hell do you delete a profile?
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So ok.maybe you have too strong an identity or at least on a session or a meeting about a potential session ,we all have to bite our tongues, swallow our ego's / tastes on sessions eg : " no I haven't heard dwarf burner from Finland's new 10"vinyl !!! But I'll check it out if that's the sound you're after!" ...
Don't quite know what I'm saying here , but you seem like a sensitive artist still too much ?? Get your Trench head on heh heh
+ you'll only find me talking ****e under one name ! And probably the same password heh heh
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Art is life, creating something out of nothing. Working with world traveled influential artist with good hearts, working with new artist and helping them realize there dreams... That's what it's all about. Service gig trying to be our best. It gets frustrating when life gets in the way, many are coming from a bad place or just don't know.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So I typed that before I saw your last reply but still just try being one person . There's generally enough facets of that (especially after a glass or two) without having multiple usernames to use .if you feel it needs non de plume then don't say it ....or delete it when you sober up :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well I do seek answers and I am willing to admit I don't know all. I appreciate input from all. GS does confuse me, I guess moderators need to perform certain task regarding profiles..
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ahh see? I like Joe Haze KILlL logicaII :-) . Goodnight (got to do the nursery run tomorrow then work on Satan's new album:-)!
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But stop editing posts whilst people may be replying ! ... Goodnight
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
cool,.... On a positive note Bogner updated the website Bogner Amplification |

YAEE!
Lives for gear

The economy is pretty rough out here for DIY bands. I totally respect you charging what you feel you're worth, but realize that lots of talented bands are 4-5 young kids who don't all have jobs. If they just don't have $4k then they're forced to look at other options.

Your website looks nice!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's rough. I want the best for bands, but I need to eat! We are all in the same boat. It's sad..

Thanks man! I need to update a few things on the site.. (never ends) ...lol
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUK ➑️
http://joehaze.com/
So this is you . ? Nice gigs ! Would love to work with Sly and Robbie :-)
If I were a band, I'd find that website very off putting. To me, the bio comes across as kind of elitist and arrogant, and because of this I would find it intimidating. Plus, do you really need four photos of yourself on the front page?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
?? ok, what approach would you take? I'm all ears.. (eyes).
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Haze ➑️
?? ok, what approach would you take? I'm all ears.. (eyes).
This is just my take on things and I'm no expert so this probably isn't too helpful, but you asked...
I'd much prefer to record with someone that came across as down to earth and relatable than someone who has a lengthy bio written in the third person with a 'press-release' vibe. To be honest, I don't think any of the bands you've worked with are big enough for most people to care about, so selling yourself solely on your past projects as if they're the greatest thing ever isn't going to be the most effective way.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This thread is both hilarious and pathetic in equal measures...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
ahhaha funny! I actually think there is some great information here and I am finding this all entertaining. I really tire of talking about 1176 clones and NEVE.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To the OP: After reading this thread, I can't say I would be thrilled at booking your studio either. You appear like a whining arrogant know-it-all that thinks the worlds revolves around you, and you look for the root of all problems anywhere but in the mirror. That isn't a successful attitude when doing a servicerelated profession. And if people don't want to work with you, who really cares if you have hardware units or great mics etc? You come off like some pain in the ass neighbourhood geek who buys the latest Xbox and still don't understand why he isn't the center of attention.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey, how do you make those up arrows? I know it's an alt function..

Funny post, but I can't figure out how to point to it...
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
To pick up on a few points, its probably your attitude that puts people off. Look at the attitude of Phil tan and Dave pensado for instance, NICE GUYS. great at what they do. 90% of people will naturally gravitate towards nice people before killer gear and a chip on the shoulder of the owner. You forget your providing a service and your no where near as important as the song. Lose the ugly ego and get humble.

sent from the future
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicll ➑️
Hey, how do you make those up arrows? I know it's an alt function..

Funny post, but I can't figure out how to point to it...
You just proved my point.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great post thanks. I am just trying to approach a situation in a logical manor. I suppose it's like saying "I sell organic fruit, but people rather eat pesticide" it's frustrating. Not intending to have an ego, just trying to understand some things a bit better.

I would love to hear how other would approach this topic.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe they dont care if they buy apples or bananas, but they care about who they buy from? Would you rather have great coffee at a cafe where you didn't like the bully owner or would you have good coffee at the local hangout where you always felt welcome and all your buddies go?

Again, you seem immune to the thought that you attitude could have anything to do with your situation. But if you have the best gear in town, why do YOU think the clients look elsewhere?
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you thought about the possibility that bands do understand what you are offering, that what you offer includes you and not just your gear list, and just don't choose it?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am not understanding what I have said that would give one the impression of a bad attitude? OR Ego?
What is humble?

How does one express their qualifications and what they bring to the table without having an ego. I know some posters attempted to answer this (thanks guys).

All I am saying is...

Bands want to ultimately be successful, but don't want to pay for quality.
I have bands telling me their bad experiences from other studios and it makes bands skittish to even work with somebody else. Sad situation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicll ➑️
I am not understanding what I have said that would give one the impression of a bad attitude? OR Ego?
What is humble?

How does one express their qualifications and what they bring to the table without having an ego. I know some posters attempted to answer this (thanks guys).

All I am saying is...

Bands want to ultimately be successful, but don't want to pay for quality.
I have bands telling me their bad experiences from other studios and it makes bands skittish to even work with somebody else. Sad situation.
You can't see what you are doing here. You just did it again. You immediately blame the "bands." You never even consider the possibility that it might be your personality.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, fair, but I do have clients so I know I am not putting everybody off.. I will take it under advisement though.

And I was actually stating facts about bands. While there are some bands who scrape up the cash to make a record many just don't want to spend money. My possible "attitude" aside, bands with low budgets is something most of us deal with. (why did they invent Kickstarter..)
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I wouldn't go near your studio because of your attitude no matter who you had worked for and what gear you had. Simple enough.

You've proved you think your better than everyone else in what you've posted, and think everyone is stupid because they don't come to you. Why would anyone want to give you their money with that attitude. Do you even like music? Seriously. Maybe you should write your own songs, track and mix them, then you don't have to deal with all these "idiots" who don't know whats good for them.

You might find most of your clients coming from online because they don't see this attitude first hand. The world doesn't owe you a round of applause for doing your job. Word spreads.

sent from the future
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'd tell you a bit more about yourself but this sites admins are a little like you.

sent from the future
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That was harsh...
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…