Quantcast
iLok ZDT completely useless - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iLok ZDT completely useless
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
iLok ZDT completely useless

Recently my iLok 2 stopped being recognized by Pro Tools and ilok.com... tried on several computers. Figured - if I buy "Zero Down Time" and a new ilok I should be back to work by the end of the day...

Wrong.

After shelling out 75 dollars for a new ilok and ZDT on my broken iLok, I started the RMA process at which point I was informed my ZDT was in a "one week cool off period" and that I could pay an additional 100 dollars to get my licenses immediately. Completely ridiculous and unprofessional. I paid for my liscenses and due to their faulty technology (this ilok2 is under 2 months old and not physically damaged) I have to give them 175 dollars to use my software?

Makes me wish I would've pirated all my plugins and software...

This has to be one of the worst companies on earth in terms of their sole purpose being to screw companies honest customers over for more money...

/ RANT
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah a lot of people seem to get stung by this but all the info is on their website. ZDT is insurance. You can't get in a car accident then buy insurance after and expect to be covered.
Old 16th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeans ➑️
Recently my iLok 2 stopped being recognized by Pro Tools and ilok.com... tried on several computers. Figured - if I buy "Zero Down Time" and a new ilok I should be back to work by the end of the day...

Wrong.

After shelling out 75 dollars for a new ilok and ZDT on my broken iLok, I started the RMA process at which point I was informed my ZDT was in a "one week cool off period" and that I could pay an additional 100 dollars to get my licenses immediately. Completely ridiculous and unprofessional. I paid for my liscenses and due to their faulty technology (this ilok2 is under 2 months old and not physically damaged) I have to give them 175 dollars to use my software?

Makes me wish I would've pirated all my plugins and software...

This has to be one of the worst companies on earth in terms of their sole purpose being to screw companies honest customers over for more money...

/ RANT
If there wasn't a penalty for a retrospective purchase of insurance, why would anyone buy it in advance?

I agree the ilok shouldn't have failed, but sh1t happens - that's why why we have insurance.

Pirate away - that's the reason ilok exists, after all.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
nothing made is ever full proof.
10 ilok's over 10 years - 4 rigs - no issues. other than an ilok that was stolen by a limo driver waiting in the studio. I had no problem getting all my licenses back.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That is the crazy thing about plugins, I am surprised Pace (or whoever owns iLock) and the plugin company make it so hard on people. One more reason to invest in hardware...
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I "hear tell" of some people who buy legitimate software but use pirated versions for actual work, to avoid using an iLok.

Not that *I* would ever do anything like that...
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The fact that I am expected to buy insurance to guarantee that a mandated third-party product, which does nothing but protect the software company from theft, does not cause me to lose $'s & time when it stops working is crap. Plain and simple. ZDT should be a given once I pay for the software and the ilok dongle.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Agreed, iLoks are nothing but a hassle. One should be able to install software, enter the serial number and proceed to work... and be able to reinstall if needed, if a harddrive needs reformatting, for example.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike ➑️
Agreed, iLoks are nothing but a hassle. One should be able to install software, enter the serial number and proceed to work... and be able to reinstall if needed, if a harddrive needs reformatting, for example.
If only there weren't people pirating said software....that'd be a fantastic system! Serial numbers are as good as no copy protection.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
If only there weren't people pirating said software....that'd be a fantastic system! Serial numbers are as good as no copy protection.
It's true, but this system punishes honest people only. Anyone who wants to crack the system can. I did a quick google, and got plenty of hits on how to. Bad system, bad idea. There's got to be a better way that protects me from crashes and lost income while still slowing theft.

This is something I am forced to pay money for and use for their protection, and offers me absolutely zero added value; not something I've chosen. Yet, the threat of it caving and blocking access to something I've purchased hangs over my head every time I boot up.

It's just another tiny symptom of how we all are slowly being assimilated into a culture of the corporate hand on our everyday activities and wallets via the internet. It happens so slowly, we don't take note. No black helicopters. Just everyday life.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just had an ilok2 go down and I can't even open my sessions because Slate VTM authentication fails and crashes Logic. Ilok sucks and great plugin manufacturers are going to lose busines because of it. The car insurance analogy is off base: no one buys car insurance to protect themselves against lemons.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
$100 just to get your licenses in a hurry? So you have to give them money, to get the things that you already own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➑️
The fact that I am expected to buy insurance to guarantee that a mandated third-party product, which does nothing but protect the software company from theft, does not cause me to lose $'s & time when it stops working is crap. Plain and simple. ZDT should be a given once I pay for the software and the ilok dongle.
That's just stupid.

I feel like the ilok is just an extra piece of hardware that could potentially cause problems. Typical DRM, screwing over the paying customer while warez users get the plugins without the extra hassle.

Don't like ilok? Don't use products that require them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_TheKing ➑️
I know for a fact all my friends with crack copies didn't have these issues :S
Exactly.

I just checked that 0 Down time service. I love the part where they think 0 = any number other than 0.

"Send us the broken iLok. We validate the broken iLok, and provide you with permanent replacement licenses in your iLok.com account."

So that's what, 2-5 days shipping time?
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodnb ➑️
$100 just to get your licenses in a hurry? So you have to give them money, to get the things that you already own?

That's just stupid.

I feel like the ilok is just an extra piece of hardware that could potentially cause problems. Typical DRM, screwing over the paying customer while warez users get the plugins without the extra hassle.

Exactly.

I just checked that 0 Down time service. I love the part where they think 0 = any number other than 0.

"Send us the broken iLok. We validate the broken iLok, and provide you with permanent replacement licenses in your iLok.com account."

So that's what, 2-5 days shipping time?
you're not understanding this correctly. Please get facts straight before spreading disinformation!

Zero downtime - you get temporary (30 day) licences IMMEDIATELY. These are replaced with permanent ones once the broken iLok is shipped and verified.

the $100 issue - it's not $100 to get the licenses you own, it's a $100 expediency fee because you didn't have ZDT in the first place.

If you already have ZDT, you don't have to pay the $100.

I'm in no way connected to Pace, and I don't even like iLok that much apart from as the best of the options (I live in fear I'm going to lose my iLok! Especially when travelling) but if you're going to moan, at least understand what you're moaning about.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The fact that I am expected to buy insurance to guarantee that a mandated third-party product, which does nothing but protect the software company from theft, does not cause me to lose $'s & time when it stops working is crap. Plain and simple.
What can you buy that guarantees that it will not cause you to lose money and time when it stops working? I don't know of any microphone, processor, recorder, or anything like that that works that way. Like all of those things, the iLok has a warranty...but unlike them, they give you a way to get up and running immediately while the warranty replacement is done.

Quote:
Well, sure, it SHOULD work that way...but having dealt with reauthorization nightmares after a hard drive crash, I much prefer the iLok.

Quote:
Sure, it could potentially cause problems...anything can...and of course if you steal something, you don't have to deal with a lot of the extra hassle that legitimate customers do. Like paying, for example...
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodnb ➑️
There is another solution as hinted to above.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…