Quantcast
RME Babyface worst piece of sh*t unintuitive... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Babyface worst piece of sh*t unintuitive...
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RME Babyface worst piece of sh*t unintuitive...

... device. What an infuriating piece of kit. 3 hours of fiddling and I cannot pass audio into my computer yet. I've worked probably hundreds of pieces of gear and never ever even once had this issue.

This is my first experience with RME. Is all their gear like this?

RME GET YOUR FVCKING ACT TOGETHER

Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
get your act together.

Sent from my LG-P925
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just after I just posted this thread it finally passed audio. My God. Everyone says Total Mix is very powerful but "unintuitive" but that's a major understatement. From a UI perspective it's the single worse piece of software design I've ever seen. Whoever is responsible should be sent to the 10th circle of hell. Christ. And this from someone who never even blinked when reading the old eMagic manuals for Logic.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk ➑️
get your act together.

Sent from my LG-P925
:D
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm glad you got it working.

Sent from my LG-P925
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor ➑️
... device. What an infuriating piece of kit. 3 hours of fiddling and I cannot pass audio into my computer yet. I've worked probably hundreds of pieces of gear and never ever even once had this issue.

Wow dude, it's maybe time to switch to decaf... heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➑️
Y'know you might be right. heh But come on, 3 hours? My time is at a premium these days. I had heard in numerous places about babyface/total mix setup being a pita but thought it was exaggeration.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Totalmix is very deep and it's design gives you tons of flexibility,once you get used to the software you'll probably love it!
Totalmix is actually awesome & the routing possibilities are amazing!
It threw me a learning curve to learn how to use it and the matrix still throws me at times but the potential and power combined with RME's great hardware and great drivers makes RME some of the most revered I/O's available @ reasonable prices.

;-)
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dunno what your deal was. I had mine up in five minutes flat, on both a Mac and a PC...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
p.s.

As you see there are many RME users who love the product line.
It might not be totally intuitive for everyone but once you figure it out you'll see why they get so much praise. ;-)

Some of the reactions you're getting are probably related to your harsh thread title and statement in the op.
Just because you or me didn't understand a product immediately doesn't really mean it's unintuitive or a piece of sh*t
It just means it's designed a bit differently then you expected or are used to.
Use it,learn it and I bet you'll start to love it.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You should try EMU Patchmix or whatever they call their audio interface software, after that you'll find RME products very simple and easy to use heh
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It took you 3 hours to get audio in albeit that works out of the box without even having to touch Totalmix? I suggest you hire someone to set these things up for you in the future. :p

How did you get it working in the end and what was the culprit?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur Born ➑️
that works out of the box without even having to touch Totalmix?
This is how it works for most people. Totalmix is indeed not the most intuitive mixer around but it works out of the box.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just after I just posted this thread it finally passed audio. My God. Everyone says Total Mix is very powerful but "unintuitive" but that's a major understatement. From a UI perspective it's the single worse piece of software design I've ever seen. Whoever is responsible should be sent to the 10th circle of hell. Christ. And this from someone who never even blinked when reading the old eMagic manuals for Logic.

You skipped over the part about taking the IQ test before being allowed to pass audio, didnt you?

Sincerely, A happy Totalmix user

hehhehhehhehheh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluttypat ➑️
You should try EMU Patchmix or whatever they call their audio interface software, after that you'll find RME products very simple and easy to use heh

Patchmix is the trainer wheels version!heh

I survived both - still keep my 1212m tucked away in a spare machine just in case.....
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi,

I agree that RME's interfaces do take a while to get your head round and their support documentation isnt the best. If you want quicker results the Apogee Duet 2 is definately more intuitive but maybe lacks some of the routing capability of RME. Horses for Courses as they say.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It took some time to get to know the ins and outs of Totalmix but I wouldn't change away from it anymore. In fact after I've demoed it to other operators here, they've been interested in switching. I only use the matrix to route everything, set up monitor mixes for musicians and re-amp or whatever. But then again I love Excel and patch bays too
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I can't blame the OP...Totalmix is a PITA to figure out. It's not like I never routed a hardware mixer correctly before, and whatever I do makes me look like a total noob.

5 months on, and I've given up on trying to understand why whatever I record to cassette tape (adding colour to stems, should you ask...) comes out 'chorused'. Yep, it must be that two similar signals are being recorded, but I still can't understand how that is happening.

Would it be possible to PM any of you people who know Totalmix inside out and help me out? I'll provide screenshots to facilitate things and explain what I'm trying to achieve. I'd be most grateful if you can...
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Aki ➑️
I can't blame the OP...Totalmix is a PITA to figure out. It's not like I never routed a hardware mixer correctly before, and whatever I do makes me look like a total noob.

5 months on, and I've given up on trying to understand why whatever I record to cassette tape (adding colour to stems, should you ask...) comes out 'chorused'. Yep, it must be that two similar signals are being recorded, but I still can't understand how that is happening.

Would it be possible to PM any of you people who know Totalmix inside out and help me out? I'll provide screenshots to facilitate things and explain what I'm trying to achieve. I'd be most grateful if you can...
Woody I'm sure someone would be more than willing to help. Might get a quicker response in a fresh thread though.

Sent from my GT-I9300T
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Why didn't you take your time and read the printed manual? No seriously. RME makes professional recording gear, so there is a learning curve but once you get your head round Totalmix you will understand just how much more powerful and flexible it is compared to anything.

Totalmix is actually very logical. It's just not a consumer product designed for simple use - its made for power users. So it can overwhelm at first but hang in their. And also check out the RME forums they are very helpful.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Aki ➑️

Use the matrix view. It's makes it visually easier to see how things are routed.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I made the mistake of taking my (new) Alva Nanoface to a gig without first reading the manual (it replaces the Fireface 800 when I want to travel light...)

I COULD NOT figure out how to enable phantom power. The Nanoface has close to zero software control (you can set buffers and sample rate for ASIO - that's about it). There is the one click / rotary encoder.

Anyway it turns out that phantom power takes the following sequence:
1) click once to select headphone mix
2) click once again to select inputs
3) click and hold, rotate one click left to select input 1
4) click and hold for three seconds to enable phantom power on input 1

Intuitive, right?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Note that apart from the case design and distributor, the Nanoface has NOTHING in common with any RME product.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➑️
Note that apart from the case design and distributor, the Nanoface has NOTHING in common with any RME product.
That is true, although the companies are officially partners. How much driver / design sharing may go on is unknown. I do know that the Nanoface and Babyface internals are quite different.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is no driver/design sharing going on. Unfortunately...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by idzy ➑️
Woody I'm sure someone would be more than willing to help. Might get a quicker response in a fresh thread though.

Sent from my GT-I9300T
Noted...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
Use the matrix view. It's makes it visually easier to see how things are routed.
I'll give that another crack I suppose...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➑️
There is no driver/design sharing going on. Unfortunately...
I'm going to take it from your German address that you have an inside line on this.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My source is good enough to fully rely on his/her/its statements. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➑️
HERESY!!!!! You must not even SPEAK of that!!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…