The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Telecaster players
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Telecaster players

I don't get it.

Every live show I have seen... every telecaster I have heard someone play... even my own band mate... has made me run for the hills whenever I see a telecaster. Its too twangy. It has too much bite. They sound brittle...

But for some reason yesterday I picked on up and gave it a go. Oh my. What a beautiful guitar! The neck was lovely. The tone was pleasant... no twang. Not brittle.

My only conclusion is... its not the guitar. Its the telecaster players. Why has such a lovely guitar been pigeon-holed into such a nothing guitar tone by players? That over the top reverb, fuzzy, preamp distorted tone that is the guitar equivalent of background noise.

It is deeply saddening. At least the telecaster has redeemed itself in my eyes... its telecaster players that I now hold a grudge against.

*Please read this thread as a comment made in jest... as tone is a very personal thing.
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketCase Audio ➑️
I don't get it.

Every live show I have seen... every telecaster I have heard someone play... even my own band mate... has made me run for the hills whenever I see a telecaster. Its too twangy. It has too much bite. They sound brittle...

But for some reason yesterday I picked on up and gave it a go. Oh my. What a beautiful guitar! The neck was lovely. The tone was pleasant... no twang. Not brittle.

My only conclusion is... its not the guitar. Its the telecaster players. Why has such a lovely guitar been pigeon-holed into such a nothing guitar tone by players? That over the top reverb, fuzzy, preamp distorted tone that is the guitar equivalent of background noise.

It is deeply saddening. At least the telecaster has redeemed itself in my eyes... its telecaster players that I now hold a grudge against.

*Please read this thread as a comment made in jest... as tone is a very personal thing.
Never was a fan of Tele's but I do like those that play them- Bonnie Rait, Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead), Bruce Springsteen to mention a few.
Who knows, maybe you just craved something new and hit it off.
For me it would be like hitting off with a girl that's not really your type.
Old 18th July 2012
AyA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some of the best guitars I've heard are custom tele copies made by someone who's cluey.
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You're right, although most telecasters are twangy and clear, the player makes a big difference. I've grown to love them after buying one which had a killer neck I just loved, but earlier I couldn't stand the shape. They were plain and uninteresting to me, until I played one and started to enjoy it.

It's a tool, just like the other models, to be used when the situation is right...I guess...
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My all-time favorite guitar tone is from Led Zeppelin's first album. Telecaster thru a 12-watt Supro amp. Not twangy at all, just bare-wired bite.
Old 18th July 2012
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You are so right. It's really nothing to do with the guitar. It's the cliche manner in which it is used, mostly by the country crowd. Check out where that pup select switch is when your ears hurt, and I'll guarantee that it's usually jammed in the bridge position. The G&L ASAT (Another Silly Ass Telecaster) is even worse; an icepick straight to the eardrum.

I've played a Tele pretty much exclusive since the mid 90's, and I almost never use the bridge pup. Neck or combo only. I use it for jazz, blues, rock, everything. The neck pup with the tone rolled back generates a wonderful dark jazz noise.

Hard to break those entrenched paradigms.
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I want a Tele bad. You can get some great tones from a nice one.

I don't play twangy, but I love the twangy Tele players myself a lot.
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

OP
Clearly you rarely listened to Joe Strummer.
Old 18th July 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Joe Strummer made me pick up the guitar. Happiest day I've had in a long time was buying my own Joe Strummer tele...
Old 19th July 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
It's all in the hands. I sound like myself no matter what guitar I play.
Old 19th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➑️
It's all in the hands. I sound like myself no matter what guitar I play.
True. So do I. However I sound slightly different from axe to axe. I tend to adapt to the sound and purpose of the instrument. I always keep a part of my own playing but I always consider getting the best out of the guitar..
Old 19th July 2012
Deleted 04d60e1
I did a small show just a few weeks ago, and the whole time I was on the neck pickup. Tone might of been back a bit too, or the presence was down on the amp, I cant remember, but I loved it. Great sound, and I guess it surprised a few of the older guys there. "Hes getting that tone from the neck pickup?" Hehe

Bridge pick up is probably my least favorite for a handful of applications, but it is too bad really. Teles actually sound fantastic for heavy metal stuff.

But man, sloppy finger picking on the bridge pickup, that can do some damage.
Old 19th July 2012
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Esquire/Broadcaster/Telecaster family of guitars is second to none.

You can get virtually any sound out of one. I LOVE LOVE LOVE twangy tele's and that country sound and play a fair bit of that stuff. I also love the rough and tumble sound of Zeppelin and can certainly get that out of my '66 Esquire.

Teles are versatile and offer a great clear tone. Not just for rock'n'roll like Springsteen or Keef, either. Run like hell by Pink Floyd, Gilmour used a telecaster. Used in Jazz, blues, ska, punk etc.
Old 19th July 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
That's one of the beauties of the Telecaster. It's completely versatile. It'll do just what you tell it to, and can go a bit further in any direction than most other guitars.
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is nothing wrong with Teles. I'll take a good tele over a strat or LP anyday. The trick is finding a well built tele with soul.
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
While I don't think Teles are the best looking guitars, they can sound pretty rawk, like even one of the blokes in Slipknot plays one (or has played one). They're not really suited to hardcore indie up-around-the-armpits strumming though, I'm not sure how that combination/look ever became cool!
Old 21st July 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like Teles. Bridge pickup too. I think if you've heard some harsh players it'd be worthwhile to see what amp their using and how it's dialed in. Most guitarists don't know crap about getting a good sound.
Here's my modded Tele:
Attached Thumbnails
Telecaster players-imageuploadedbygearslutz1342901547.150750.jpg  
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love my Telecaster particularly when doing GTR doubles.

I find that using a Les Paul on one side and a Tele on the other is a great combination -

A Les Paul seems to eat a Strat alive when you double this way.
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
long time strat player here, who recently bought a squier tele for open G and stones tunes and slide. Its sooo nice I don't have to tune my guitar anymore, and I can just pick up my tele plug it in, and hit the first notes to Start me Up and smile. Love me some new tele
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hot rails in the bridge, no twang. Love my tele.
Old 23rd July 2012
G&L ASAT Deluxe.

The un-Tele Tele. Wouldn't trade it for anything. And it spews bad-ass, looks bad-ass, and does any tone, twang, crunch, drop, or creamy leads.
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I play a Squier VM Tele Custom I with stock 'bucker p/ups, they're kinda muddy and I try to play exclusively clean tones for singer/songwriter and ambient stuff. Most think it's a bad choice and that I should've gotten a single coil. I might do that (never owned a single coil guitar) and I'll probably also change the p/ups (to what?) on the Tele I have.

I love the look and all sorts of sounds with the Tele. It just looks so good and my own Tele sounds great to me even though it might not be the most suitable for what I want to do. I play it everyday, can't get over it.
Old 7th August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
There's tons of good flexible tones on the bridge pickup, but you gotta work that tone control, more than on any other guitar I've ever owned.
Old 8th August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Say what you want but I will have to agree that it's in the hands of the user. Call me backwards, but I used my ASAT in a rock band for years. And most recently, I've been using my Legacy Special in a country band (granted in the bridge position mostly). It's about dialing in your sound, starting with the guitar and then with the amp. The tele is my baby and the special is my workhorse.
Old 8th August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Attached Thumbnails
Telecaster players-g-l.jpg  
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

All the icepick guys just want to be Danny Gatton and don't know how:

or Johnny Hiland:

All the indie guys just want to be Jeff Buckley but don't know how:

All the jazz guys want to be Ted Greene, but didn't get to study with him:

or Bill Frissell:

Though he sounds pretty good on a Strat:

And there's no talk of telecasters without mentioning the Hellecasters:

One day, I'll be able to have Danny Hines build me my classy uptown girl with James Reed pups. Teal to black burst with a maple fretboard and a nitro finish...mmmm

Until then, this will have to do: Gladiator GL-021 - GladiatorGuitars.com

I strung my Blacktop Baritone Tele up like Joe Beck:
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Found a great Tele '52 RI two years ago. Great neck, great tone, feather light body. Has the treble bleed mod. Love my LP and Strat but this Tele is an interesting mutt.

I joined a southern rock band earlier this year playing Billy Powell piano licks and third guitar. There were already LP and strat players in the band so I brought the Tele. That mutt just works with southern rock, especially playing unison licks with the LP player where the contrast in tones sounds really cool.
Old 10th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Pick position is a killer on guitars. You just see some people playing the bridge pickup, picking next to the bridge on light strings. Chang chang chang, Dear god. And it's like they don't even hear it, they're too busy being in Indie Rockstar mode.

A Jazzmaster can also be a horribly bright guitar. The trick is in not being an idiot about how you play.
Old 10th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo ➑️
All the icepick guys just want to be Danny Gatton and don't know how:

or Johnny Hiland:
Absolutely love Johnny Hiland's playing. Soooo clean. I've had this one on DVD for a long time. He disappeared for a while there. It's good to see that he's still active.

And Danny was an early hero of mine. I had Redneck Jazz on LP and cassette, and that was all I heard of him for years. Then Unfinished Business came out, and it completely blew my mind. Wasn't so thrilled with his later releases. Never saw him live, though. He was a local fixture, so I always assumed he'd be around forever.
Old 11th August 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Talking

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…