Quantcast
mp3's ... ruf mixes ... STOP NOW ! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mp3's ... ruf mixes ... STOP NOW !
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mp3's ... ruf mixes ... STOP NOW !

did a session .. e mailed the client a mp3 of the best track ... it ended up on the radio ... really pissed off ... not been payed for the session ... DON'T MP3 tracks ...
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cut away the first seconds of the start and end...that's what I do...
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Cheer up... I once walked into a record store and found a CD by a band I'd briefly recorded as part of a punk comp that never came out. We recorded a few extra tracks for the band, friends of the label. I got stiffed on the project, never released the tapes or mixes. But I've got nothing against the band and I'm flush; I pick up a copy of the record. I look at the credits for the last 4 or 5 tracks. I'm the engineer. I think: That's interesting.

Sure enough, it's REALLY trashy, 3am-get-these-bozos-out-of-the-studio cassette mixes. I remember doing them, thinking, who CARES what it sounds like, I'm working the office job at 8 in the morning and I want to get the hell away from all these OC punkers. (No offense, OC punkers. I love you guys like brothers. I've just... you know... grown away.)

But there it is... immortalized in the then-still-new glittering CD technology... I think it was a used Radio Shack cassette, too... sounded like it.

PS... the getting paid issue is central, of course... but any band that can get even any kind of significant radio play at the drop of a phone call might be worth a little extra mollycoddling. (Of course, if it was the GF's college radio show out of her dorm room on 300 watts... heh )
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom
cut away the first seconds of the start and end...that's what I do...
i prefer a few choice dropouts in selected moments.

gregoire
del ubik
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k

gregoire
del ubik
great idea
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
... it ended up on the radio ... really pissed off ...
hardly the end of your recording career ...
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu
did a session .. e mailed the client a mp3 of the best track ... it ended up on the radio ... really pissed off ... not been payed for the session ... DON'T MP3 tracks ...
If it was a good song.. the general public would not be able to tell the difference between ur MP3 vs. an MP4 vs. an AIFF!

so dont sweat it...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

gregoire
del ubik
Great idea ... thanx
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Are you sure that you want to send that TO A CLIENT? This doesn't really smell of too much trust and that's bad. Dropouts are also extremely annoying (see plug-in demos).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu
The problem is that you haven't been paid for the session and I dare to ask why? Always make sure that you get at least 50% of the session fee upfront and then tell them nicely how to handle ruff/test mixes,etc.

As much as we all hate 'unfinished' mixes being played in public, the goal should be to make any mix you hand out sound decent. If it's ruff and unpolished but still reasonably professional then it won't hurt being played on the radio.

There's a nice story about the great Al Schmitt when he worked with Neil Young. They asked for some quick ruff mixes one night to play for friends,etc and these mixes ended up on the record. Al was horrified and reportedely even offered to remix free of charge as he felt his mixing career would be over when these ruffs would come out. Neil Young would have none of it and last time I checked Al Schmitt was still in the business....

The record by the way was 'On the Beach', my fave Neil Young record.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneeraj
If it was a good song.. the general public would not be able to tell the difference between ur MP3 vs. an MP4 vs. an AIFF!

so dont sweat it...

do ya want to think about that for a second and what forum it was posted in!!!!

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

so dont sweat it...
I think the issue is that he sent a rough of the best take to the band, and they used that rather than having the track mixed. Now that they've decided to use that, I'm sure that they're in no rush to pay their bill...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
do ya want to think about that for a second and what forum it was posted in!!!!

It's the truth.

**NEWS FLASH**

People listen to MUSIC, not GEAR!!!

/**NEWS FLASH**
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
It's the truth.

**NEWS FLASH**

People listen to MUSIC, not GEAR!!!

/**NEWS FLASH**
Ain't that the truth. All this bitching that I -and everyone here does- on audio quality doesn't really matter much to the consumer.
But I like to think that a great recording would help the listener "feel" a great song more -- compared to a crap recording of it. (assuming the listeners aren't teeny boppers...who probably wouldn't care).
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
But I like to think that a great recording would help the listener "feel" a great song more -- compared to a crap recording of it.

This is very true, but only applies if the song is good in the first place That's where people go wrong sometimes. They either overdo the recording/production of a ****ty song, or have great music that's un-bearable to listen to because some asswipe dosen't know how to set up mics, or mix, etc etc.

Just me thoughs.... (hi sqye)...
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
This is very true, but only applies if the song is good in the first place That's where people go wrong sometimes. They either overdo the recording/production of a ****ty song, or have great music that's un-bearable to listen to because some asswipe dosen't know how to set up mics, or mix, etc etc.

Just me thoughs.... (hi sqye)...

Exactly...that's why I mentioned "great song". Hardly anyone seems to know what that is now. In this industry, people are sheep, they think it's great if their buddies say it is...don't want to NOT call something great if it happens to end up being a hit.
The good ol industry folks.
heh
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…