Quantcast
Blue1 i'm really blue today - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blue1 i'm really blue today
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Blue1 i'm really blue today

Hey blue one i don't know any chords or scales, but im On the Billboard CharTS right now....

But i am no musician, i'm not even a loWly DJ, who Can"T USe AUtotune????

Maybe i should RTFM once in a while or "experiment" i heard u guys didn't even have ReVeRB back in your time.

The New school does not show respect to ur old schoolzzz

Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Walter?........Is that you? heh
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz

Herein lies the problem: such an arrogance that comes with youth - the New school doesn't show much respect for anything, except for their 'idols', and hoping to be a 'tag-along' in the portable circus.

All this will fade, and hopefully the cocky attitude too: we see the same people on the way down as we did on the way up. Let's hope one can gain some humility in this lifetime: it might help us in our less dignified times...

Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Time to look for a new tag line.

Walters is jumping the shark.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
Hey blue one i don't know any chords or scales, but im On the Billboard CharTS right now....

But i am no musician, i'm not even a loWly DJ, who Can"T USe AUtotune????

Maybe i should RTFM once in a while or "experiment" i heard u guys didn't even have ReVeRB back in your time.

We recorded in CAVES... you want GOOD reverb you gotta start with a GOOD cave.

Next question?

heh

PS... Congrats on charting!

PPS... BUT you really want to think twice if you mix in the same cave you tracked in... a lot of times what makes a cave good for tracking makes it bad for mixing. Sometimes, if we had to mix in the same cave, we'd bring a bunch of tumble weeds in to use for deflection, bass traps, and so on.

PPPS... and, of course, it was hard to do either with a Tyrannosaurus growling and stomping the ground just outside the mouth of the cave... kind of like tracking these days with a ghetto bird right overhead...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
... kind of like tracking these days with a ghetto bird right overhead...

What's a ghetto bird?

Edit:

[via www.urbandictionary.com]

1. Ghetto Bird

That almost noiseless Helicopter Police use to shine a 1,000,000 watt Flashlight into your backyard. Also used in Police chases when ground forces cannot keep up in the chase.

Is that a Ghetto Bird?

Watch out for Falling Donuts!!

Why, oh why must you swoop through the hood
like everybody from the hood is up to no good.
You think all the girls around here are trickin
up there lookin like Superchicken
At night I see your light through my bedroom window
But I ain't got **** but the pad and pencil
I can't wait till I hear you say
"I'm going down, mayday, mayday." I'm gonna clown
Cause everytime that the pigs have got me
y'all rub it in with the flying ****
military force, but we don't want ya
Standin' on my roof with the rocket launcher
"So fly like an eagle."
But don't follow us wherever we go
The **** that I'm saying, make it's heard
Mother**** you and your punk-ass ghetto bird"

-Ice Cube - "Ghetto Bird"
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
[Looks like you updated your post... oh well. That's my story. A dollar late and a day short... or something.]

Yo, homie. Say what?

Does the onomatopoetic phrase "whuppa whuppa whuppa" sound familiar?

I guess there IS a big difference between 8th street and 21st street... heh

You know how people will park on a shady street to eat their lunch? I think the LBPD chopper patrol used to eat their lunch OVER my old house. Just put it on autopilot hover and take a friggin' donut-fueled nap.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Almost noiseless??? Not in my neighborhood. "Whuppa whuppa whuppa" sounds about right, though.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah... I missed that "almost noiseless" the first time around. Bigtime cognitive dissonance, there.

My town (and Severe's) bought a pair of "stealth" helicopters a couple years back... I think they were something like 2.4 million $$ a piece, replacing a pair of Bell chopers that cost about ONE TENTH as much.

The new birds are the NOISIEST FONKING THINGS imaginable -- MUCH louder than the old choppers -- except at a couple angles when the "noise-cancellation" technology is turned on... but it seems like from most angles the freakin' things are HUGELY noisier.

This town NEVER met an expensive boondoggle they didn't want to line someone's pockets over, from the beloved-but-benighted Queen Mary, to the new "Aquarium of the Pacific"... the aquarium was supposed to be a tourist draw, right?

The city council people all went on a junket funded by aquarium builders, a conference, where they decided an Aquarium was just the thing the city needed to sink further in debt over, in order to draw visitors to downtown.

Unfortunately, the conference was attended by junketeers from other city governments and as a consequence, FIVE cities on the west coast decided in one fell swoop that they ALL had to have new aquariums...

So now we have a beautiful new aquarium that doesn't draw NEARLY as many people as they promised it would -- and costs A LOT MORE TO RUN than they said it would...

So what does the city decide it has to do?

Subsidize a huge shopping center on city land (reclaimed out of our ever-shrinking bay! Which USED to be the draw back before they built a breakwater across the entrance to the harbor to make sure the harbor pollution stays concentrated on our 4 miles of beach)...

And why did they do THAT?

As a "draw" to get people to go to the Aquarium... I **** you not.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't let this get over here.

Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Well... I don't need LB to get any hipper. I can't believe I used to tell strangers about what a cool place to live it was.

It's like the Reno Room.

It used to be a funky little joint with a full bar, a great, great jukebox (all country, swing, 50's R&B, almost no rock on it at all!) -- and you could virtually always get one of the two pool tables to yourself. Most of the regulars were WWII generation -- this was about 20 years ago.

So it was my secret hideaway where I'd go with pals to shoot pool and, as I used to do back then, drink.

But, you know, one of the pals I turned on to the bar, who will go nameless but let's just say that his stage name is spelled the same way as the town, Monte Vista, fell in love with the place.

Fine.

Except he made a point of telling EVERY FREAKIN ONE HE KNEW.

Pretty soon, the local putative hipsters were all over the place. Pretty soon, there's a line of quarters on the pool table and you have to turn sideways to get through the crowd of jet black and ash white s***** haired troops.

The coupe de grace was when a trendy poet/professor started having his Thursday night class meet there (or maybe it was a continuation of the class, regardless, it brought 15 or 20, heavily made up, black clad 22 year old POETS into the bar... )

And the JUKE BOX... oh gawd it was awful. INXS and Culture Club and The Cult and... it's too awful to think about.

In a matter of just a few years, being "hip" destroyed that place. (And for many years now, it's been a shade of its former "hip" self... a yuppie bar for people who want to think they're slumming... I think that was the notion.)

So... here... THIS is friendly face of the LBC I like to put forward:

WELCOME TO LONG BEACH...

...NOW GO HOME

PS... the rents have gone through the roof...
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When I visited LA the concierge highly recommended not going to LBC at night. Her exact quote was "it's very dangerous."
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Damn straight.

heh heh heh

But seriously, like anywhere in greater LA, end up in the wrong neighborhood, and you could end up in the wrong neighborhood.

Like this hellhole, not far from my flat:

Oh, sure, it looks innocent enough on a nice sunny day but when the peeps come out of those 3 million dollar plus cribs and it's been a bad day on The Street... anything could go down. You could end up under the wheels of an air-conditioned, leather-seated Hummer... like that.

street-toughened homegirls chillin'

[Back to seriously though-land, your concierge may have been a little overcautious, but there are very definitely some tough parts of town. I loved my old house, in a decidedly urban neighborhood and it was pretty calm from the mid-late 90s on -- but in the early 90s it was pretty damn scary. I figure for a number of years I probably heard a volley of gunfire every night, on avereage. And while there was no anti-person violence that I know of in my immediate neighborhood during the riots (making the riots oddly safer), there were a number of stores torched by people who drove in from the outside. Strangely, the violence died out in just a matter of a year or two when the Clinton recovery finally hit Cali. It went from gunfire every night on average to a couple times a year, no lie. Weird. Anyhow, it's ALL different in my new hood. Mind you, all I can afford is a tiny flat over a garage... but I can walk out my front door and be standing on the sand by the bay (looking across the small bay at Naples above) in two minutes. And my place is only a block and a half from the chi-chi biz strip in the photo above. [ERm... which is why I almost didn't move here... but it's acutally a nice place to live if you stay off the strip during primetime.] All in all, it's a very interesting change.]
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…