Quantcast
Band Mates F'ing BAND MATES!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Band Mates F'ing BAND MATES!!!
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Band Mates F'ing BAND MATES!!!

OK, some of may remember recently my coke-sodden drummer tried to steal some of our equipment and sell it at a local pawn shoppe. This ended with most of my equipment recovered and the drummer in rehab to avoid jail. Again.
Now we bring a guy in that I know as another guitarist and he doesn't show to the gig! No call. No show. No text. No excuses!
Now, I hold a management position at my day job and here is the deal.
Gigs to me are a job in this respect: I (we) have a responsibility to the gig to put on a great show regardless of how big we are or are not. Work ethic stuff.
So we first re-arrange the songs to fit this clown in the band and expand our sound. Now I had to re-arrange the songs at the gig because he was not there. PHUCK!!!!! We sounded horrible. We are not Rush. I can't have my bass player play bass pedals and guitar at the same time.
I am so done with bands. DONE! Too old for these amateur's.
This is why I picked up got some rhythm software and learned synth after 20 years of guitar so I can record my own stuff with few people as possible.
I am becoming more isolated in my music creation, which can be dangerous so I'm told.
So, the next day this dizzy prick says he got lost and his phone died. Right-e o. Lost 10 miles from his home town?
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BINGO !
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 ➑️
...Lost 10 miles from his home town?
Did you email him good directions to the venue, or a Mapquest link? Did you then verify that he got those directions and knew exactly where the venue was? If you did, I'd say you have a legitimate beef. If you didn't, perhaps next time you will make the extra effort - not so much for the sake of your flakey musician, but for your own peace of mind.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
He is an adult and I forgot to put in the OP that his phone rang. If it was dead it would go right to voice mail. The gig was not at an obscure location. He has had a history of showing late to rehearsal and not in good condition. But he is killer good and didn't need too much rehearsal so we let it slide.
The whole thing made no sense at all.
My thing is just admit you F'ed up. Done. Buy me dinner or something. Grown men don't behave like this.
Trust me. He knew where the gig was.
Old 5th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 ➑️
He is an adult ...
? You said he was a guitarist ...
Old 6th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark ➑️
? You said he was a guitarist ...

Hey if I didn't recently start synth I may have been insulted. But then again I have heard synth guys are geeks.
I guess hten I am an immature nerd.
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i basically gave up on "bands" a few years ago when both of mine fell apart at the same time. i don't know if this makes total sense but everything to me is either a project or i'm a hired hand now. as in

project=collaborative composing, record some stuff, play a few shows. if it takes off cool maybe i'll think of it as a band, if it doesn't no harm no foul. if people need to move on to other ventures all good. most of these project ventures involve a circle of people i know and have played with off and on for awhile.

hired hand= i will play with your band but i am work for hire, rehersals to an extent are free but i expect to be paid for shows. one thing i will not do is split costs and lose money on **** like i am a "band member" unless i get to a point that i am really into it. (this is all outside of actual session work).

since adopting these ideas i have had less headaches and less emotional bull**** stress, and also caused less, than what came with dealing with musicians (myself included).
Old 6th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedesound ➑️
i basically gave up on "bands" a few years ago when both of mine fell apart at the same time. i don't know if this makes total sense but everything to me is either a project or i'm a hired hand now. as in

project=collaborative composing, record some stuff, play a few shows. if it takes off cool maybe i'll think of it as a band, if it doesn't no harm no foul. if people need to move on to other ventures all good. most of these project ventures involve a circle of people i know and have played with off and on for awhile.

hired hand= i will play with your band but i am work for hire, rehersals to an extent are free but i expect to be paid for shows. one thing i will not do is split costs and lose money on **** like i am a "band member" unless i get to a point that i am really into it. (this is all outside of actual session work).

since adopting these ideas i have had less headaches and less emotional bull**** stress, and also caused less, than what came with dealing with musicians (myself included).
Very relieving post. I think I'm there too man. I'm 40 years old have a stressful job as a pharmacist. I don't need this ****e. BTW I am the only guy in the band with a real job. Not to sound snobbish, but it's fact. Tired of paying for everything, guys asking me to get them pills. I'm not a doctor and not gonna lose my job over pleasing these clowns. Enough already.
Before the 2008, I was able to make a decent living making music for commercials and promo videos, etc. But these days with ad budgets slashed, it's tough to make the extra cash.
But then again, part of my playing music is to unwind, relax, and heal and deal with staying sane in an insane world. There are worst things to be than hobbyists I guess......
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've had the same garbage in bands, luckily not with no-shows, but a few near misses (and subsequent rows) when certain members couldn't manage a simple 30 mile drive straight down a motorway without saying "we got lost". It's bad getting that hankering every now and then to want to gig, but giving up playing in bands has been the best thing I've done for my sanity.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…