Quantcast
Dr. Dre Should be Ashamed of himself... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dr. Dre Should be Ashamed of himself...
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Dr. Dre Should be Ashamed of himself...

Dre should be ashamed of himself. Trying to force Rakim to go against his Crafted. You think someone of Dre's Caliber would respect Rakim wanting to become a gansta over night.

http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=629

Last edited by Stress Man; 10th May 2006 at 08:18 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
thanks for posting the article

its has to do with Dre wanting Rahim to talk about drugs and the same old boring ****, where as Rakim wanted to do something positive and different.............and Dre wouldn't even meet Rakim half way

Respect to Rakim for sticking to his principles
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
my take:

dre knows what sells today. rakim knew what sold back in 1985. aftermath/interscope not into making records that dont sell.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
rakim is the best of all time... period.....i myself am tired of all the same drug/thug ****. its ok sometimes, but not all the time. i respect rakim for sticking to what he wants. actually, ima go throw on "follow the leader"
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
but damn i wanted to hear this album so bad
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wanna hear rakim do a record with just blaze!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_who
but damn i wanted to hear this album so bad
Me too dude. It's just real unfortunate that Dre couldn't let it happen, if this is really what happen. Honestly, it sounds like something that might of happened.
If so, I take my hat off to great artists that stick to their artistry. But it really doesn't surprise me because Dre went New Yorkish with the Firm album and COMPLETELY abandon ship and confined himself to gangsta sh*t. It's always worked for him but this could have been a rebirth...an era for them both that could have extended to 5 or more years of dominating music.

While reading the article, Ra's feeling were all the same things that I feel as an artist. If you got hot sh*t, it will never be denied...especially if it's different. But this is what the industry tries to feed to it's artists.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps
my take:

dre knows what sells today. rakim knew what sold back in 1985. aftermath/interscope not into making records that dont sell.

Do you work for Aftermath??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i woulda said, yo, gimme two or three hit songs that are on some street ****, and do what you want with the rest of the album.... sounds like Rakim woulda been willing.... i mean then he gets to release the album he wants, and dre still has a way to make money.... also, i think the appeal of dre's beats might clash with the whole "positivity/cultural awareness" thing... i mean dre makes a lot of money off of suburban white kids who dig the beats and can relate to drugs and bitches and all that... but maybe he felt that Rakim's subject matter would alienate a lot of that audience... i think if Rakim wants to make that kind of album, he should look to different producers who make more of those types of records....
Should be in Moan Zone!!

Last edited by 11562; 11th May 2006 at 01:31 PM..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok
ialso, i think the appeal of dre's beats might clash with the whole "positivity/cultural awareness" thing
But "positivity/cultural awareness" was really never Rakim's thing. To me, Rakim was and always will be the ultimate battle rapper, and that, coupled with some dark Dre beats (a la "The Next Episode"), could've been killer.

It's a shame we won't get to hear this album...
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Maybe Rakim didn't work as hard as Dre wanted?

Wiz
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…