Quantcast
Here's a warning about the latest ebay scam. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Here's a warning about the latest ebay scam.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Here's a warning about the latest ebay scam.

If I have posted this in the wrong forum can you please move it. thanks. forsooth

EBAY SCAM
I've have several items on ebay in the last two weeks clearing out analog gear and Ampex tape. I sold a bunch of stuff and then I got a message apparently from someone asking a question about one of the items. The tone was very threatening and said that if I didn't repond immediately to his question (there never was a question from him!) he would report me to ebay and have me suspended immediately. My first reaction was panic becuase I'm very meticulous about this stuff. I thought a first I had forgotten to respond to a genuine question from someone. I hadn't!

The message comes in the form of the question type letter where you click on the respond button and are then given a panel where you type in the response. The fake one instead directs you to a fake ebay page where you have to sign in AGAIN. If you sign in on this page you have just given the crook your password which will then allow him to hack into your ebay account and possibly PayPal too.

The fake respond letter usually comes in from "eBay.com" <[email protected]> and will say " Question about item #7713864284"

This is the second spoof email I have had from him in the last five days. The item number is the same in both cases. In the first email he called himself jackjack14. Today he is going under the name of cata2000x

I reported it to ebay immediately on both occasions and promptly changed my passwords.

The fakes look IDENTICAL to the ebay messages except for the header on the fake ebay one.

This is getting scary. If you are online at night after a long day in the studio you could easily make a mistake and respond to this and get screwed.

Pass the word. I'm going to post this on unicornation.com ............. osxaudio.com and gearslutz.com

Watch out..... there's a thief about!

forsooth
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
getting beat

man i just got beat on the last 2 jobs i did...

i went all the way to tenessee to run field audio and didn't see a damn dime

and the last studio i was in i got ripped a whole weeks worth of work...$350
and then the producer has the balls to call me up and say 'there are some files on your computer that i need' hahaha...jesus christ

always looking to screw ya...watch out-i haven't had much problems on ebay...
Old 8th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmostynx
man i just got beat on the last 2 jobs i did...

i went all the way to tenessee to run field audio and didn't see a damn dime

and the last studio i was in i got ripped a whole weeks worth of work...$350
and then the producer has the balls to call me up and say 'there are some files on your computer that i need' hahaha...jesus christ

always looking to screw ya...watch out-i haven't had much problems on ebay...
What the hell does this have to do with the original post?
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
woa...relaxx buddy

the dude was talking about how he almost got beat
and i talked about how i got beat...

relax man...hard day?
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmostynx
the dude was talking about how he almost got beat
and i talked about how i got beat...

relax man...hard day?

So start a "how I got beat" thread.
Old 9th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
wow man

you know-all the effort your putting into this-you could be putting into your work or something productive..please dude..relax-your acting like a child.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…